Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What Is Your Favorite Janet Jackson Song of All Time?

I've listed only what I consider her top hits. These are your only choices.

I will post a video of myself performing the winning hit in full Janet regalia on YouTube.

Voting ends soon.

by Anonymousreply 16009/21/2014

Escapade

by Anonymousreply 109/14/2012

I don't think that I've ever heard a Janet Jackson song!

by Anonymousreply 209/14/2012

[quote]

by Anonymousreply 309/14/2012

Ben

by Anonymousreply 409/14/2012

"Cunt Roll!"

by Anonymousreply 509/14/2012

Nasty!

by Anonymousreply 609/14/2012

Love Will Never Do Without You

by Anonymousreply 709/14/2012

SCREAM!: Stop pressurin' me. Make me wanna scream.

by Anonymousreply 809/14/2012

The one where she giggles and then says in a little girl voice: "Are we recording this?"

And then makes a breathy giggle again.

by Anonymousreply 909/14/2012

Rhythm Nation.

by Anonymousreply 1009/14/2012

When I think of you

by Anonymousreply 1109/14/2012

Ditto r11.

by Anonymousreply 1209/14/2012

Definitely Rhythm Nation.

I get this image of sexually active young women all across our our nation using this rhythm method to avoid getting knocked up.

by Anonymousreply 1309/14/2012

I particularly love her cover of Rod Stewart's "Tonight's The Night" from her Velvet Rope album. This was the first song I played after I came out to my parents. I felt to empty inside and Janet sang the line "..stay away from my windoooow." And suddenly I felt like she understood my voice. I can go on and about that Velvet Rope album and how it saved my life.

I love you, Janet.

by Anonymousreply 1409/14/2012

Mary @ r14

by Anonymousreply 1509/14/2012

Well that's ... unique r14.

by Anonymousreply 1609/14/2012

Is there a list ?

by Anonymousreply 1709/14/2012

R17, this list includes most of her top hits.

by Anonymousreply 1809/14/2012

I also love "Daybreak" from the 20 YO album. Such an underrated track.

by Anonymousreply 1909/14/2012

Her Violent Femmes cover; FAT.

by Anonymousreply 2009/14/2012

She doesn't really have any songs of lasting value or allure, so I'll go with Madonna's "Vogue" instead.

Madonna always had better songs than Janet.

by Anonymousreply 2109/14/2012

Here we go...

by Anonymousreply 2209/14/2012

She's the fat Jackson without any money, right?

by Anonymousreply 2309/14/2012

I'm not going to debate Madonna vs. Janet, R21, but your first sentence is just wrong. Just my opinion. And I like me Madge songs.

by Anonymousreply 2409/14/2012

Love Would Never Do Without You.

Gorgeous in the video, as is the feller in it with her.

by Anonymousreply 2509/14/2012

[quote]If I was your girl, oh, the things I'd do to you. I'd make you call out my name, I'd ask who it belongs to. If I was your woman, the things I'd do to you. But I'm not, so I can't, then I won't, but if I was your girl.

I wanted that to be my senior quote in the yearbook, but Mrs. Dugleson, the 73 year old yearbook adviser, wouldn't let me. I called her a bitch and then stormed out of her office. I didn't get detention because she didn't hear me. So there is no senior quote from me in the high school yearbook, so I wrote those words in cursive in my yearbook, in red ink, underneath my picture.

I love you Janet!!!

by Anonymousreply 2609/14/2012

Runaway

by Anonymousreply 2909/14/2012

"Can't Be Good" from the Discipline album is also a great song. Probably one of her best recent ballads.

by Anonymousreply 3009/14/2012

Um, That's The Way Love Goes is an awesome slow jam

by Anonymousreply 3109/14/2012

Again

by Anonymousreply 3209/14/2012

Come Back to Me is a pretty good one of hers.

by Anonymousreply 3309/14/2012

I can't pick just 1 so here are the ones I like:

Love Would Never Do With You Escapade If Again Come Back To Me Let's Wait Awhile All For You When I Think Of You What Have You Done For Me Lately Feedback Pleasure Principle Rhythm Nation

by Anonymousreply 3409/14/2012

Love Will Never Do Without You. The video (with a barely legal Antonio Sabato Jnr) rocks.

by Anonymousreply 3509/14/2012

Pleasure Principle all the way.

by Anonymousreply 3609/14/2012

She has so mny classics. Where to begin? I'll have to break it down per album:

JANET JACKSON

-Don't Mess Up This Good Thing

-Come Give Your Love To Me (a funky, synth-driven new wave track)

-Love and my Best Friend (it's like "Ben" meets Klymaxx's "I'd Still Say Yes". She sounds very vulnerable on this track)

DREAM STREET

-Don't Stand Another Chance

-All My Love To You (funky song that harkened back to the stuff on her brothers' mid-late '70s albums)

-Hold Back The Tears

-Fast Girls (A track about the benefits of being with a lady of the evening. Janet's cute vocals belie the trashiness of the lyrics, but that's what makes it good.)

CONTROL

Legendary. A classic '80s funk/pop/R&B amalgam that pre-dated many dance divas of color in that era (Karyn, Paula, Nia, Pebbles, Vanessa...) I can't pick just one or even a few tracks. They're all great.

JANET JACKSON'S RHYTHM NATION 1814

See "Control". An outstanding time capsule of when real pop/R&B ruled the airwaves. This album was a juggernaut that went on to set unprecedented records and become the bestselling album of 1990 for a reason--it's brilliant. All of the singles are favorites of mine, and of the tracks that weren't singles, the standouts are "Livin' In A World (They Didn't Make)", "The Knowledge", "Someday is Tonight" and--one of my favorite Janet songs of all time--"Lonely".

JANET.

I love how this album crosses genres with just about every other song. There's pop, R&B, rock, opera, house, hip-hop, swing...you name it, it's on this one. Some of my faves are "If", "That's the Way Love Goes", "Where Are You Now", "Again", "Any Time, Any Place", "Throb", and her remake of the Johnny Daye Stax track "What'll I Do (For Satisfaction)". For those who always talk about how Janet barely opens her mouth when she sings, well, listen to "What'll I Do". She SANGS on that one.

THE VELVET ROPE

Her masterpiece. A cohesive, dark (at times) trip through her insecurities, fears and doubts. Critics still herald this album as her greatest work because of its raw honesty and emotion. To make a Marvin Gaye comparison (as some critcs have done) RN was her "What's Going On", janet. was her "Let's Get it On", and TVR was her "I Want You". There's no filler on this one. Standouts are the haunting title track, "Got 'til It's Gone", the electronica-tinged "Empty", "Go Deep", "You", the anti-homophobia track "Free Xone", "Together Again" "Anything", "Every Time", "I Get Lonely", and the angry spousal abuse track "What About"

ALL FOR YOU

The title track is also one of my faves by Janet. The Grammy-winning single was also the longest-running Hot 100 #1 in 2001. Other faves from this album are "Someone to Call My Lover", "Feels So Right", the rock-tinged "Trust A Try", "You Ain't Right", "Doesn't Really Matter", "China Love", "Love Scene", "When We Ooo", "Better Days", and the Carly Simon-assisted "Son of a Gun..."

DAMITA JO

Almost slightly better than its predecessor. "All Nite (Don't Stop)" was one of the best dance tracks of 2004 (and one of Janet's best dance tracks period, IMO). More standouts from this CD are "Strawberry Bounce", "Slolove", "Island Life" and the Motownish "I Want You"

20 Y.O.

Favorites are "Take Care" (one of her best "baby-making" songs ever--and she has plenty of those), "Enjoy", "Get It Out Me", "Do It To Me", "So Excited (aka "SEx")and "Show Me". Janet went "hood" on this album, and when it worked, it worked.

DISCIPLINE

The first single "Feedback" was great, but I'd say the second single, "Rock With U", is slightly better. Upon the album's release, critics compared RWU, with it's sparse vocals and futuristic feel, to Donna Summer's "I Feel Love". Other excellent cuts from this album are "LUV", "Rollercoaster", "What's Ur Name", "So Much Betta" and "2Night" (the latter which was used in the first "Sex and the City" film). Loved the futuristic vibe of this entire album and its artwork.

by Anonymousreply 3709/15/2012

R21 and R27 always show up in Janet threads just to say what they DON'T like about her. It's pretty comical, actually. Haters, the both of them (one of them is likely Madonna).

by Anonymousreply 3809/15/2012

Nobody does quiet storm slow jams like Janet. She has many songs that fit the late-at-night-with-your-lover mold. This one, in which Janet does backgrounds and Lisa Keith does lead, has always been a favorite of mine. It's from Herb Alpert's 'Keep Your Eye On Me' album...

by Anonymousreply 3909/15/2012

Also from Herb Alpert's 'Keep Your Eye On Me' album was "Diamonds". It's a hot dance track that went to #1 on the Dance and R&B charts. Here's the rare video featuring two Janet impersonators (one of which is a little girl).

by Anonymousreply 4009/15/2012

Marry me, r26.

by Anonymousreply 4109/15/2012

Escapade!

(And I love Madonna too. Why can't we love them both?)

by Anonymousreply 4209/15/2012

Janet's second single from her debut album went top 20 on the R&B charts. It's one of my favorites from "Janet Jackson". Pop meets new wave.

by Anonymousreply 4309/15/2012

Go Deep

by Anonymousreply 4409/15/2012

"That's the Way Love Goes" has the distinction of being the longest-running Hot 100 #1 song by any Jackson act, including the Jackson 5, the Jacksons, and MJ's solo career, let alone her own career. It stayed atop the Hot 100 for 2 months straight. And to think, the record company wanted her to release "If" first. She responded with a resounding "NOT!"

by Anonymousreply 4509/15/2012

One of my favorite bonus tracks from her is this tear-jerker from the Japanese edition of The Velvet Rope. It was also on the soundtrack to the film "Down in the Delta".

by Anonymousreply 4609/15/2012

Janet got real down and dirty with this one. She talks her way through a slow groove about what she wants her man to do to her and what she wants to do to him...

(the orgasmic finale is cut on this vid...)

by Anonymousreply 4709/15/2012

One of the best dance tracks of 2004. Too bad MTV didn't have the balls to play it.

by Anonymousreply 4809/15/2012

Big difference between Janet and Madge is that Madge's early tunes were very gimicky pop and relied heavily on videos to fuel their popularity just hearing them without the memory of those videos isn't all that great. But I have to also give big credit to the Madge persona which also contributed to promote the music. All stars at the time were heavily reliant on videos but Janet's popular songs stand up as far as just fun to listen and dance to. They would have been hits without a video.

by Anonymousreply 4909/15/2012

yay some love for Miss Janet.

That's the way love goes

by Anonymousreply 5009/15/2012

This one

by Anonymousreply 5109/15/2012

Easy there r37/38/39/40/43/45/46. The op asked for your favorite of all times not her whole catalog.

by Anonymousreply 5209/15/2012

"Together Again"

Great dance song. Great video. OP, please learn the dance routine. Thanks

by Anonymousreply 5309/15/2012

Another awesome cut from "janet." is "Funky Big Band". She sings about Harlem's famed Leonx Lounge, and even does a little scatting towards the end.

by Anonymousreply 5409/15/2012

No other music video from a female pop star comes close to The Pleasure Principle in its sheer awesomeness. Just Janet dancing her ass off in tight Guess jeans in a warehouse. No background dancers or special effects necessary. Classic.

by Anonymousreply 5509/15/2012

I absolutely love "Again" it is so sweet and soft, yet oddly depressing. One of the songs where I felt her vocal style was matched perfectly with the lyrics.

by Anonymousreply 5609/15/2012

"That's the way love goes" is probably my favorite.

If

Love will never do without you

by Anonymousreply 5709/15/2012

It's a toss up between Escapade and When I Think of You.

by Anonymousreply 5809/15/2012

I was also a fan of "I get So Lonely" Even though Janet would later go on to say she hated the video, I thought she looked hot and the song was perfectly seductive.

by Anonymousreply 5909/15/2012

[quote]Love Will Never Do Without You. The video (with a barely legal Antonio Sabato Jnr) rocks.

Mmm hmm...

by Anonymousreply 6009/15/2012

Meant to post a video link

by Anonymousreply 6109/15/2012

One of Kourtney Kardashian's favorite Janet songs must be "Let's Wait Awhile". She tweeted about it a couple of days ago.

by Anonymousreply 6209/15/2012

[quote]I was also a fan of "I Get Lonely" even though Janet would later go on to say she hated the video

Really? I never knew she said she hated it.

by Anonymousreply 6309/15/2012

Miss You Much

by Anonymousreply 6409/15/2012

r63 she said she can't watch the video because she sees herself as fat in it and she was at her worst weight wise and emotionally.

by Anonymousreply 6509/15/2012

I'd say she was very BOOBALICIOUS in it, for sure...

by Anonymousreply 6609/15/2012

Michael Muhney (Sherriff Lamb from "Veronica Mars" and Adam Newman on "The Young and The Restless") likes "When I Think of You".

by Anonymousreply 6709/15/2012

I am a fan of her throatier vocals, Black Cat, Scream, What'll I Do, What About That

by Anonymousreply 6809/15/2012

Easy: "Pleasure Principle"

by Anonymousreply 6909/15/2012

Janet Jackson had a nice run there, before her coffee enemas and titty piercings scared everyone off.

But, really, very few of her songs are memorable, beyond a handful of obvious ones.

by Anonymousreply 7009/15/2012

[quote]Janet Jackson had a nice run there, before her coffee enemas and titty piercings scared everyone off.

Spoken like a true moron.

[quote]very few of her songs are memorable, beyond a handful of obvious ones.

You're clearly in the minority here, so kindly see yourself out.

by Anonymousreply 7109/15/2012

R71 needs to get herself a life.

by Anonymousreply 7209/15/2012

"That's The Way Love Goes" if I can only choose one. I still love its lush, warm mid-tempo groove.

by Anonymousreply 7309/15/2012

Two To The Power Of Love

by Anonymousreply 7409/15/2012

[quote]Two To The Power Of Love

Ahh! Her duet with Cliff Richard!

by Anonymousreply 7509/15/2012

'Go Deep', 'The Pleasure Principle', 'If', 'Rock With U', 'Got Til It's Gone'

by Anonymousreply 7609/15/2012

Control, The Knowledge, Someday is Tonight, If, Because of Love, Go Deep, Love Scene, Take Care

I think Escapade is my favorite though. A lot of Janet fans consider that her best song.

by Anonymousreply 7709/15/2012

Escapade is easily her tinniest and most irritating song. And it has aged very badly indeed.

No wonder her songs from the Rhythm Nation era are all but forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 7809/15/2012

[quote]No wonder her songs from the Rhythm Nation era are all but forgotten.

Really? Is that why P!nk remade "Rhythm Nation" for the Happy Feet 2 film last year? Is that why actress Kat Graham from The Vampire Diaries did a video mash-up of "Escapade" and "Love Will Never Do..." last year? Is that why "Come Back to Me" is consistantly sampled and covered by various artists? Is that why Britney covered "Black Cat" in concert, and why various rock outfits and cover bands often cover the song? And who the hell uses the word "tinniest" anyway? Only douches like yourself I suppose.

Speaking of the WONDERFUL "Escapade", Jimmy Jam, Terry Lewis and Janet had initially wanted to do a cover of Martha and the Vandellas's "Nowhere to Run", but they came up with their own song with the same happy vibe as NTR, which gave birth to "Escapade". I've always liked the calliope motif in the background of that track. Reminds me a bit of Smokie's "Tears of a Clown", or of being at a circus.

by Anonymousreply 7909/15/2012

"Empty" from The Velvet Rope spoke on building a relationship with someone online. Quite ahead of its time. Love the touches of electronica on it.

by Anonymousreply 8009/15/2012

Tori Amos covered the exquisite "Again" quite beautifully

by Anonymousreply 8109/15/2012

For R82, who the fuck made you Chief of the Datalounge police? I'm well aware of what the OP said, and, as I said in my first post, it's difficult for me to pick just one out of her extensive catalogue, so I broke it down by album. It this is a problem for you, then too fucking bad. Take a sleeping pill, wake up in a few hours and see if I care then (I won't). Choke on that barf, shithead. Oh, and fuck you.

by Anonymousreply 8309/15/2012

Let's not argue, girls...

If I absolutely had to pick one and only one Janet song, it would have to be "Come Back to Me". I've always loved that song and the beautiful video with her walking around the streets of Paris just after dawn.

Btw, there is a really great torrent online called "Diamonds" which is an album of all her b sides and such like the Herb Alpert song and 70's Love Groove

by Anonymousreply 8409/15/2012

[quote]Btw, there is a really great torrent online called "Diamonds" which is an album of all her b sides and such like the Herb Alpert song and 70's Love Groove

Cool, I'll have to check it out. She does have a ton of great B-sides and unreleased tracks.

by Anonymousreply 8509/15/2012

My pussy smells like Janet's; it REEKS!

by Anonymousreply 8609/15/2012

"Doesn't Really Matter"

I can play this on constant loop, as it's one of my "happy" songs and always makes me smile.

by Anonymousreply 8709/15/2012

"Diamonds," the song she did with Herb Alpert is my favorite. It's pretty much forgotten now, but it's a great song and got a lot of play when it came out in (I think) '87 or '88.

The Pleasure Principal is also right up there for me. That song sounds like it could have been made yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 8809/15/2012

Janbot is as sad as the state of Janet's career.

by Anonymousreply 8909/15/2012

Is this an oldie but goodie thread?

by Anonymousreply 9009/15/2012

Janet's songs defined a decade. Can any other artist lay claim to such a feet?

by Anonymousreply 9109/15/2012

I have an odd respect for the Janet Jackson troll. I mean, that bitch is serious. And it's funny to see someone exerting so much effort into pimping such a talentless, fat and broke old hag.

by Anonymousreply 9209/15/2012

Oh hi!

by Anonymousreply 9309/15/2012

Aside from the obvious one r91?

by Anonymousreply 9409/15/2012

[quote]If I absolutely had to pick one and only one Janet song, it would have to be "Come Back to Me"

I REALLY had a hard time choosing between this and That's the Way Love Goes - they are my two favorite Janet songs.

by Anonymousreply 9509/15/2012

I think I'm gonna go with "When I Think Of You". It's her sunniest and happiest. And great Jam/Lewis production.

Honorable mention for "If" and "Diamonds"

by Anonymousreply 9609/15/2012

Well since we can have honorable mentions, I will add Nasty, Funny How Time Flies, If (a remix) The Body That Loves You, Someday is Tonight, Throb, When I Think Of You and this interlude, Are You Still Up from "Janet":

by Anonymousreply 9709/15/2012

R97/95/73, that 11 songs in total.

by Anonymousreply 9809/15/2012

Probably Escapade if I had to choose one

by Anonymousreply 9909/15/2012

Alright

But, Together Again still gets me up.

by Anonymousreply 10009/15/2012

I couldn't help it R98, sorry about that.

by Anonymousreply 10109/15/2012

velvet rope. i used to bartend with my friends at this place...and we would lay a certan cd when the guests were gone. and then we would get smashed. memories...

by Anonymousreply 10209/15/2012

Far above the rest is "Love Would Never Do Without You." I'm not a Janet fan but that one is awesome.

I also like "Alright" and the video for that song as well.

by Anonymousreply 10309/15/2012

LOVE JANET!

by Anonymousreply 10409/15/2012

[quote]Jimmy Jam, Terry Lewis and Janet had initially wanted to do a cover of Martha and the Vandellas's "Nowhere to Run", but they came up with their own song with the same happy vibe as NTR, which gave birth to "Escapade". I've always liked the calliope motif in the background of that track. Reminds me a bit of Smokie's "Tears of a Clown", or of being at a circus.

Thats why I always loved that song. Its like a perfect mashup of different periods of music, with that awesome 1990 beat under it. Jam and Lewis were very creative with the New Jack Swing on RN. To this day, you cant listen to one song on that album without wanting to dance.

by Anonymousreply 10509/15/2012

Wow this thread is really helping me remember all the good Janet music. She really can't sing that well but she had amazing song writers in Jam and Lewis and they knew how to best utilize her voice. Also the fact she's a good dancer and she made the most she could of those songs vocally at a time before Pro Tools. Or maybe as Pro Tools came into being?

I can't name a favorite but thank you OP for jogging my memory. I'm going listen to some Janet and smile.

by Anonymousreply 10609/15/2012

r91 - how about Madonna, Michael and Prince for the 80s,

and Madonna and Mariah for the 90s.

Janet always played second fiddle to all these performers.

by Anonymousreply 10709/15/2012

[quote]To this day, you cant listen to one song on that album without wanting to dance.

This is true. RN is a classic.

by Anonymousreply 10809/15/2012

Bull and shit, R107. Janet has more talent and stage charisma in her pinky than Madonna does in her entire body. As for Mariah, none of her saccharin-laced ballads or wanna-be thug songs co-starring the latest "in" rapper can hold a candle to Janet when she is at her best. Also, Mariah is boring. She ALWAYS looks the same on every project. And have you seen her live? A throw pillow has more charisma.

by Anonymousreply 10909/15/2012

So smoooth

by Anonymousreply 11009/15/2012

[quote]I have an odd respect for the Janet Jackson fan.

As you should.

[quote]it's funny to see someone exerting so much effort into pimping such a talentless, fat and broke old hag.

...As you type away in your dank, dark basement apartment with Cheetos on standby

by Anonymousreply 11109/15/2012

[quote]Go Deep

Love that song. Watch this crowd go wild as DJ Avicii plays a remix of "Go Deep" at a club in Seattle...

by Anonymousreply 11209/15/2012

r109, I was not referring to stage presence, but to whose songs defined a decade the most. Please read the original post to which I replied.

You can enjoy Janet's songs all you like, but she she simply hasn't got as many decade-defining songs as either Michael or Madonna. That is beyond debate.

"Beat It" and "Like A Virgin" will always trump any hit Janet has had in the past.

by Anonymousreply 11309/15/2012

And she didn't even write it, R113.

Besides, who cares about what trumps what? This is a thread about peoples' favorite Janet Jackson songs. Keep to the subject.

Now back to the music. Here's another Janet fave of mine. It's called "Ask For More". It was for a Pepsi promotion right at the tail end of the Velvet Rope Tour. I love the Motown vibe.

by Anonymousreply 11409/15/2012

[quote]"Beat It" and "Like A Virgin" will always trump any hit Janet has had in the past.

Yes, these songs are more popular and recognizable than Janet's. But are they musically superior? Not a chance. 90% of Jam and Lewis's work is better sounding, better quality music.

by Anonymousreply 11509/15/2012

Here's her "Ask For More" commercial for the South American market, featuring Ricky Martin

by Anonymousreply 11609/15/2012

Madonna co-wrote "Like A Prayer", "Vogue", "Express Yourself", "Open Your Heart" and "Into The Groove" and all those are more decade-defining than any Janet hit.

Again, I was referring to the poster who said: 'what other artist has as many decade-defining songs?'

The answer is: Madonna and Michael Jackson.

by Anonymousreply 11709/15/2012

oh PUH-LEASE! It's well known Cuntdonna pays off writers to get her name on the writing credits.

by Anonymousreply 11809/15/2012

"If" is one of my favorite slutty Janet songs! love the dancing too YAS.

by Anonymousreply 11909/15/2012

One of Janet's decade-defining hits, "What Have You Done for Me Lately", was covered briefly in this scene from "Sister Act 2" at the 3:40 mark.

by Anonymousreply 12009/15/2012

Another factoid about the classic "...Lately" is that the famous "LatelyBass" preset on the Yamaha TX81Z (used extensively on house and techno songs of the late 1980s and 1990s) was based on the bass tone of this song, and subsequently named after it as well. I'll bet that many songs that you dance to in the clubs still utilize this preset.

by Anonymousreply 12109/15/2012

I always loved "Nasty" because there was simply nothing around like it at the time. It had an industrial sound mixed with the Minneapolis grooves provided by JJ/TL. Gene Simmons supposedly said it was his favorite song that year.

"Nasty" also inspired this TV series, and was used as its theme song.

by Anonymousreply 12209/15/2012

"What Have You Done For Me Lately" is not a decade-defining song.

It might have defined her career - but that's something else completely.

The only hit of hers that can be said to have been decade-defining is "Nasty".

by Anonymousreply 12309/15/2012

A great remix of IF

by Anonymousreply 12409/15/2012

The Best Things In Life Are Free.

Her other singles tended to be rather short on melody.

by Anonymousreply 12509/15/2012

[quote]The only hit of hers that can be said to have been decade-defining is "Nasty".

Boy, are you thick. "Rhythm Nation"? "That's The Way Love Goes"? "All For You"? All of these songs helped to define the decade in which they were released.

By the way, I love that particular remix, R124.

by Anonymousreply 12609/15/2012

I loved "How Will I know".

by Anonymousreply 12709/15/2012

"I Got Plenty o' Nuttin'"

by Anonymousreply 12809/15/2012

[quote]I loved "How Will I know".

Oddly enough, Whitney's "How Will I Know", which was written by the husband and wife duo Boy Meets World (who had a hit with their '80s pop track "Waiting for a Star to Fall") was originally written for Janet. She and her people passed on it, feeling it wasn't right for the kind of vibe they were going for on "Control".

Shannon Rubicam of Boy Meets World said at the time: "We were pretty upset because we thought it was perfect for her at the time. We had written it with [Janet] completely in mind."

by Anonymousreply 12909/15/2012

[quote]"I Got Plenty o' Nuttin'"

I never heard that one before. Is that from her earlier years?

by Anonymousreply 13009/15/2012

No, it's been an extremely recent song.

by Anonymousreply 13109/15/2012

I'm LOLing at how you don't like Janet's music and yet you came into a thread called "Your Favorite Janet Jackson Song of All Time", (a title that means the thread is clearly not aimed at the likes of you) just to say so. A troll is a troll is a troll, I tell ya.

by Anonymousreply 13209/15/2012

Now I know why the song was so good R129 - Janet DIDN'T sing it. That frail, limited, birdlike voice could not have done with the song what our Whitney did.

by Anonymousreply 13309/15/2012

"Rock With U"--another great Janet dance track. It came with a one-take video, harkening back to her one-take "When I Think of You" video.

by Anonymousreply 13409/15/2012

I'm a Janet STAN but I don't like "Nasty" a whole lot because I feel it's a less sexual, more mainstream ripoff of "Nasty Girl" by Vanity 6. Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis had Janet doing that talk-sing thing too.

Most of Janet's other hits are amazing though.

by Anonymousreply 13509/15/2012

R124, that's the "If" remix I was referring to. I don't usually like remixes but this is a great one.

by Anonymousreply 13709/15/2012

JANET 4 EVARR!!!

by Anonymousreply 13809/16/2012

Together Again (love the video too)

Got Till Its Gone - the Joni Mitchell one.

We go deeper.

by Anonymousreply 14009/16/2012

Isnt "Together Again" about being re-united with someone who died. It was very personal for me back in 1997 as my partner of 10 years died in 1996. The single had about half a dozen great remixes.

by Anonymousreply 14109/16/2012

Do u have a new partner now?

by Anonymousreply 14209/16/2012

Come on r117 it is well known that many stars get their writing credits on songs as part of the deal when doing an album. They can change as little as a single word and get writing credit.

by Anonymousreply 14309/16/2012

[quote]Come on [R117] it is well known that many stars get their writing credits on songs as part of the deal when doing an album. They can change as little as a single word and get writing credit.

R117 is clearly a Madonna stan, and is coming to her honor by defending her in a thread that has nothing to do with her. Oh, the irony.

by Anonymousreply 14409/16/2012

[quote]Isnt "Together Again" about being re-united with someone who died. It was very personal for me back in 1997 as my partner of 10 years died in 1996. The single had about half a dozen great remixes.

Yes. It was actually dedicated at the time to the many friends she'd lost to AIDS, but I guess it holds new meaning now given the death of MJ.

It's among the best-selling singles of all time, having sold over six million copies worldwide.

by Anonymousreply 14509/16/2012

The "Together Again" song and video got a complete makeover with this slower version.

by Anonymousreply 14609/16/2012

[quote]So much yellow. Time for someone to get a blog. And a pet.

by Anonymousreply 14709/16/2012

I think my favorite song ties with "Roll Withchu" and "Put Your Hands On". (and about 10 others) I'm just a HUGE fan!

by Anonymousreply 14810/05/2012

Thumbs up, R148!

by Anonymousreply 14910/11/2012

Excuse me? Hehehe! Runnnn awayyyy with my love...yeaaa yeaaaa YEAAA yeaaa

by Anonymousreply 15010/11/2012

How Will I Know and I Will Always Love You

by Anonymousreply 15110/11/2012

[quote]How Will I Know

That was almost Janet's song, by the way. The '80s pop duo Boy Meets World wrote it for Janet originally, but her people passed on it, as they felt it wouldn't be right for "Control".

by Anonymousreply 15210/11/2012

[quote]Excuse me? Hehehe! Runnnn awayyyy with my love...yeaaa yeaaaa YEAAA yeaaa

Runaway with me my love

by Anonymousreply 15310/14/2012

Thank you, r141 and r145. "Together Again" was played at every AIDS memorial I attended in the 1990's. It's a bittersweet song that still makes my cry.

by Anonymousreply 15410/14/2012

You're welcome R154. Even though the music is upbeat, the lyrics really do tug on the heartstrings. Janet said at the time that she didn't want it to be a mournful song, but a rejoiceful one.

by Anonymousreply 15510/15/2012

Too many to name just 1 lol

by Anonymousreply 15611/18/2012

well?

by Anonymousreply 15711/25/2012

SHREEEEE EEEEEEE EEEEEEE K!

by Anonymousreply 15909/21/2014

Hey Jude

by Anonymousreply 16009/21/2014
Need more help? Click Here.