Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why is mayonnaise so fucking expensive?

And I will cut the first queen who says, "Why don't you make your own?"

by Anonymousreply 10212/29/2013

How sad for you and your life, OP.

by Anonymousreply 109/13/2012

Mayonnaise expensive? Where the fuck do you live and how much mayo do you need?

by Anonymousreply 209/13/2012

Good quality mayo has expensive indredients and takes time to make.

by Anonymousreply 309/13/2012

Why don't you make your own?

by Anonymousreply 409/13/2012

OP, are you the same guy that doesn't like KFC's dipping sauces?

by Anonymousreply 509/13/2012

Do you think perhaps the 2012 drought is having an impact on soybean pricing?

by Anonymousreply 609/13/2012

Why don't you let me make some for you?

by Anonymousreply 709/13/2012

99c Store sometimes has mayo. I like it better because it has all natural ingredients, without the added garbage. Not familiar with the brand name.

by Anonymousreply 809/13/2012

Just to round out the typical answers: I buy mine at Costco and their Kirland brand is superb. Thier two quart jars are less than 5.00 and the quiality is excellent. It's even better than the Afghanistanian Hellmans that they sell for even more than their Kirkland brand.

by Anonymousreply 909/13/2012

Why don't you shove it up your ass?

by Anonymousreply 1009/13/2012

[quote]99c Store sometimes has mayo. I like it better because it has all natural ingredients, without the added garbage.

Yes, the 99 cent store is the best place to get natural, healthy food.

by Anonymousreply 1209/13/2012

It's true. I buy maybe 2 bottles a year and it has almost doubled over the past couple of years. I've tried many brands but still come back to Hellmann's.

by Anonymousreply 1309/13/2012

I wasn't aware it was particularly expensive. I recently decided to try Helmann's with olive oil, after being a life-long devotee of regular Helmann's (I cannot touch the low-fat stuff).

It's surprisingly good, and has slightly less fat & calories.

by Anonymousreply 1409/13/2012

It is expensive!

But I want to know WHY IS TIDE SO EXPENSIVE!?

I refused to buy it today. They know everyone has to wash their clothes, so they are robbing us. Fuck whoever makes Tide.

by Anonymousreply 1509/13/2012

It's expensive 'cause I keep eating it all.

by Anonymousreply 1609/13/2012

Everything is expensive now. I haven't noticed mayonnaise being much more so though.

by Anonymousreply 1709/13/2012

You may not know this but the main ingredient in mayonnaise is monkey cum. You can see why it's so expensive

by Anonymousreply 1809/13/2012

Bring out the Best Foods & Bring out the Best.

It goes on sale at most markets. I paid $2.99 for the big one & that lasts about a year.

Switch from tide...lots of brands less expensive that do just as good.

Shop Smart!

by Anonymousreply 1909/13/2012

Why, I can eat a jar before dinner! Delish!

by Anonymousreply 2009/13/2012

i got a jar of hellman's for $2.99 (on sale) last week.

by Anonymousreply 2109/13/2012

If you're in England you may know that Lidl’s Vita D’Or Mayonnaise was top with a score of 73% and Aldi’s Bramwells Real Mayonnaise second with a score of 71 %, beating big brand Hellmann’s.

by Anonymousreply 2209/13/2012

Hellmann's. Accept no substitutes.

by Anonymousreply 2309/13/2012

Deal of the Day at Albertsons tomorrow (9/14 only) is Best Foods 30 oz. mayo for $1.88.

I don't know if that's at every location, but it's in their weekly flyer. Limit of 2 per visit.

by Anonymousreply 2409/13/2012

Bieber cum.

by Anonymousreply 2509/13/2012

Which Albertsons R24?

by Anonymousreply 2609/13/2012

If you're on a budget, the secret to saving $$$ is to not wait until you need something to buy it. I buy mayo, peanut butter, soups, tomato sauce, etc. when it is on sale so that I'm not at the mercy of the store and their exorbitant prices when I need it.

by Anonymousreply 2809/13/2012

That's a great idea! Their video for making meth was good too. I made the meth first so that I would have the focus to stay up all night making detergent!

Best Foods (30oz), $2.69 all Lucky, SaveMart & Foodmaxx Stores.

ALL Brand detergent, 46 loads, $3.99

Tide is expensive because people pay for it.

by Anonymousreply 2909/13/2012

Video of r28 doing her shopping.

by Anonymousreply 3009/13/2012

I expected this thread to be funnier.

by Anonymousreply 3109/13/2012

It might be at all Albertsons, r26. Their website seems to indicate the deals of the day are good at any location.

An even better deal is Saturday when 12-count packages of Northern double-roll toilet paper or 8-count of Brawny paper towels are $3.77 each.

by Anonymousreply 3209/13/2012

Yes, R22, but Aldi and Lidl's cheap slop is not gayonnaise like Costco's Kirkland own brand.

Mayonnaise is tasteless gloop with the consistency of edible snot. Life is too short to waste on it.

by Anonymousreply 3309/13/2012

Mayo is not expensive. Anything under 5 or 6 bucks is not expensive. Not that you need mayo OP. It's not good for you.

by Anonymousreply 3409/13/2012

The citizens of New York have been very bad children and must be punished!

by Anonymousreply 3509/13/2012

I bought the store brand stuff for the first time and it's about one third the price and tastes exactly like Hellman's. So fuck you Ina Garten and your "good mayonanaise" schtick.

by Anonymousreply 3609/13/2012

Where is the Duke's troll? I hope he's not sick or anything.

by Anonymousreply 3709/13/2012

If you have a Kitchen Aid mixer you can make your own in a matter of minutes.

by Anonymousreply 3809/13/2012

I noticed alot of stuff that was cheap when I was a kid (poor folk food), like mayo, peanut butter, rice, cheese, cheerios, oatmeal even baloney are expensive.

I remember we got a hunk of cheese the size of a bread box for like...$5. Now you pay $5 for a chunk the size of a woman's wallet.

Generic or store brand versions of those items don't taste as good.

And yes, Mittens, $5 for mayo is expensive unless it's comes in a tub.

by Anonymousreply 3909/13/2012

I love Duke's mayo r37!

So good on a grilled cheese.

by Anonymousreply 4009/13/2012

R32, you & I seem to have the same hobby: saving money at the grocery store! Now that I'm retired & can spend the time to shop selectively, I pay much more attention to the ads than I used to. And it works -- I save a lot.

by Anonymousreply 4109/13/2012

Why would you haul out a honking big kitchen aid to make a bit of mayo? A hand whisk should suffice or, if you are not adept with a whisk, use an immersion blender.

by Anonymousreply 4209/13/2012

Kroger sells a passable, value store brand which has about tripled in price the last couple years. That's depressing for us poor, overweight white trash folks!

by Anonymousreply 4309/13/2012

But why don't you make your own, OP? Your threatening assholery just is a cover for your being a lazy slug, dear. Do you also buy pre-sliced cheese food products and bottled salad dressing for your salad mixes?

Of course you do.

by Anonymousreply 4409/13/2012

Learn to read labels if you want to save money, unless you like paying for "a name." You can buy laundry soap with the same exact ingredients as Tide that costs much less. Other times you can't successfully substitute for a particular brand.

by Anonymousreply 4509/14/2012

R45, you're like my cheap sister-in-law. She buys VO5 shampoo, claiming it has the same ingredients as other shampoos. Her hair looks like straw.

by Anonymousreply 4609/14/2012

I've been using it as my cold cream for years

by Anonymousreply 4709/14/2012

R39 = miserly eldergay.

by Anonymousreply 4809/14/2012

Extreme couponing yay!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 4909/14/2012

Msyo is always on sale, like 2/$5.00. It's the fake mayo, or no fat mayo or low fat mayo that is expensive.

Mayo = 1 egg + oil + salmonella (Mix slowly but well)

by Anonymousreply 5009/14/2012

Our cook makes fresh, as during my Wednesday bridge game we have chopped egg sandwiches, of course the eggs come from our country home

by Anonymousreply 5109/14/2012

Really most foods are going up in price. The thing to do is look for weekly sales. Most sales flyers start on Fridays, although not necessarily.

I'm living on a budget now, so the first thing I do is get the weekly store flyers (or look at them online) and make a quick list of things I need or want that are on sale. Then, I plan my menus for the week mainly around what is on sale -- plus the generally good buys that each store has all the time. I also remember which foods are good deals at Costco when I go there with one of my friends who has a Costco card.

I typically buy Hellman's (and even love the 1/2 fat one although it is not quite as rich as the regular) at Costco, because even when it's on sale at regular grocery stores, the jar is smaller so I get more mayo for my money at Costco on that item.

Planning and shopping this way is easy once you get used to it and I typically save at least $25 or $30 bucks, sometimes more from the way I used to shop. The saved money helps me be able to afford to go out with friends more that I used to also.

by Anonymousreply 5209/14/2012

Mayo can be made in about 10 minutes using an egg, some olive oil, a pinch of mustard, and a 1/2 teaspoon of cooter juice.

by Anonymousreply 5309/14/2012

Hey, a girl has to make a living!

by Anonymousreply 5409/14/2012

You all can't pay $5.00 for a jar of mayo? Jesus, just hang your head in shame and cash in your chips, turn in your running pants in the human race, you are FINISHED.

Life is over for you if this is what it's come to.

There is no hope for you, it won't get better, kiss tomorrow goodbye.

by Anonymousreply 5509/14/2012

I can't understand, how people who PAY for this site can complain about mayonnaise price.

by Anonymousreply 5609/14/2012

Five cents a day?!

by Anonymousreply 5709/14/2012

I buy the FRY's/Kroger store brand which I actually prefer to the name brands

by Anonymousreply 5809/14/2012

LOVE mayonnaise, LOATHE miracle whip!

And The Oatmeal agrees with me! :)

by Anonymousreply 5909/14/2012

Make my own mayo?

Next think you will ask me to slice my own bread! Are you Amish?

by Anonymousreply 6009/14/2012

R46, Perhaps you misread my post. VO5 does NOT have the same ingredients as better shampoo. Save money by using a smaller amount of shampoo, if necessary. I stated that it was CRUCIAL to read the label. It's like buying generic drugs. Sometimes the product is the same, other times it definitely isn't.

by Anonymousreply 6109/14/2012

I could use it in about three months. Gee whiz! What's the matter with eatting a little mayonnaise?

by Anonymousreply 6309/14/2012

"You may not know this but the main ingredient in mayonnaise is monkey cum."

And not just any monkey cum. It's Golden Marmoset cum. And you know how they like to tease.

by Anonymousreply 6409/14/2012

I only eat fancy mayonnaise made with farm-fresh ingredients. Of course it is expensive.

by Anonymousreply 6509/14/2012

Let me get this straight. You are incensed over the cost of mayonnaise, but willingly pay $18 to start threads about it?

by Anonymousreply 6609/14/2012

I'm sorry, did you say expansive?

by Anonymousreply 6709/14/2012

What annoys me is that a lot of things are now smaller in size, but cost the same price as before. Here in England Marks & Spencer bread and butter pudding is now about half the size it used to be, I would need to buy 2 of them now to get the same amount for 2. (and yes I can and do make my own, so easy - but the M&S one is a delicious treat too). Also tins of sweets that people buy for Christmas are now smaller too but the same price ...

I suppose it boils down to which would you prefer: pay the same price for a smaller size, or pay more for the usual previous size ...

Speaking of Christmas, its the middle of september but our supermarkets here already have christmas stuff on the shelves. I can see that it is easier for families to start buying christmas stuff weekly to start putting away for christmas, but its a little early for mince pies ! Maybe the fat people like buying (and eating) them early ....

by Anonymousreply 6809/14/2012

I have got a delicious receipe for bread and butter pudding with raspberries and whiskey which I am going to make this weekend, using brioche bread. Its going to be so yummy.

by Anonymousreply 6909/15/2012

Post the recipe R69!

by Anonymousreply 7009/15/2012

What R68 said. They're making things smaller and charging more. Who owns supermarkets but rich bastards? They want to starve us and or rob us as well. Don't tell me it's hyperbole, they're just slowly boiling the frog. Fuck these places, it's out and out class warfare now.

Well, there's an obvious solution. Just make it yourself. I 'treated' myself to the first Greggs (yes, the lowest of the low instapie purveyors of trash) veg pasty I'd had in a few months and it was 1/3 the size it was previously and a few pence more. So. I'm going to buy that frozen puff pastry, some cheese and tinned veg and make my own ones to cook and enjoy at my leisure.

I know bitches on here were scoffing at the coupon guy above, but he has the right idea. Since I started shopping smarter I've saved so much extra money to spend on my own leisure.

by Anonymousreply 7109/15/2012

by Anonymousreply 7209/15/2012

by Anonymousreply 7309/15/2012

^Lovely human being, r74, who will no doubt, suffer from something terribly debilitating in the near future.

by Anonymousreply 7509/15/2012

Hellman's and Best Food are the same. Why the two names?

by Anonymousreply 7609/16/2012

At some point Best Foods bought out Hellman's, Since both brands were big sellers on their respective coasts they decided to keep their identities.Supposedly there's some slight differences in the two .

by Anonymousreply 7709/16/2012

I'm an elder gay. I spent my youth cruising bars instead of going to school now I'm 50 and have to work at Target for a dollar more than minimum wage.

I have HIV and can't afford mayonnaise, even with my Target discount.

BOO HOO HOO

by Anonymousreply 7809/17/2012

r78

It's funny 'cause it's true

by Anonymousreply 7909/17/2012

What is going on with bacon prices? 5.99 to 8.99 a package where I live. Is there a shortage of pigs or something?

by Anonymousreply 8009/17/2012

It did go up...it was $2.99 a quart...I just bought a quart jar today (here in Ohio) for $4.99. I bought it because I use it for sandwiches and a couple of tablespoons each week becomes my weekly hair mask(hair looks great after you rinse it out /and no it does not make your smell) you just cannot cheap out on haircare. and btw cheap mayo will destroy a primo hoagie.

by Anonymousreply 8112/01/2012

Expensive? I just bought a jar, 32 oz size (Hellman's) for around 2 or 3 bucks. I don't think that is a budget buster.

by Anonymousreply 8212/01/2012

[quote] you just cannot cheap out on haircare.

I'm just imagining R81's post spoken by Little Edie.

by Anonymousreply 8312/01/2012

R8 makes a good point. I also add that dollar store and generic supermarket brand pickles and relishes that are made in India are made with cane sugar. All of the commercial domestic brands use HFCS.

by Anonymousreply 8412/01/2012

I'm making an educated guess here, but I think that part of the reason why mayonnaise is so expensive is because it is made from eggs and eggs come from chickens who have to be fed grain alot of which is being devoted to fuel these days in which one of the forms is alcohol. I'm not sure what synthetic oil for cars is made of, but that too probably comes from grain. As a result of all the demands on grains from beer, liquor (mostly whiskey), fuel, bread, pasta and animal feed it is probably in short supply to go around and is therefore expensive--supply and demand again, girls. Also inasmuch as pigs will eat alot of different kinds of things, my guess is that they too eat alot of grainfeed among other things, or corn and there are many demands on the corn crop as well--I don't know where pigs come in on the corn distribution priority list but it figures into the price of bacon--pork futures on the stock market, that sort of thing . As I looked at the ingredients on a jar of mayo I found that egg yolks and soybean oil are major ingredients; soybeans are also another crop with heavy demands on it as so much is made from soy and I think it too is fed to animals. My advice, cut down on meat consumption and save coupons for mayo and use them when that brand of mayo goes on sale thus getting the store's deal and the coupon discount.

by Anonymousreply 8512/01/2012

I make my own mayonnaise.

by Anonymousreply 8612/01/2012

I only buy KRAFT.

by Anonymousreply 8712/01/2012

[quote Kroger sells a passable, value store brand which has about tripled in price the last couple years.

Yes, not long ago, it was $1.50 a jar. The Kroger brand is OK in things like tuna salad, where other ingredients overwhelm the mayo taste. Not so good on, say, a chicken sandwich.

Given that it is mostly oil, mayonnaise is overpriced. But Hellmann's can be found on sale at places like CVS ans Walgreen's, occasionally. A friend swears by the Aldi's brand but I haven't tried it.

I also agree that Tide is ridiculously priced, but worth it. Every time Consumer Reports tests laundry detergents, Tide is at or near the top. If you're bleaching whites, however, it's probably fine to use a lower-rated product.

by Anonymousreply 8812/01/2012

re Tide, personally I very much dislike the smell of Tide; if you want a cheaper laundry detergent there are perfectly acceptable (to most who aren't fussy) bottles of liquid detergent at the 99c store...suit yourself.

by Anonymousreply 8912/01/2012

" soybeans are also another crop with heavy demands on it as so much is made from soy"

Whaa? Like 75% soy and 25% bean?

by Anonymousreply 9012/01/2012

Because it takes a lot of eggs.

by Anonymousreply 9112/01/2012

For one thing r90, I think soy is used in animal feed which chickens eat and chickens....you know the rest I think......

by Anonymousreply 9212/02/2012

This thread is full of elder gays who can't afford the dollar menu at McDonalds

by Anonymousreply 9312/02/2012

I'm serious about my mayo. I love that shit.

Kraft's and Hellmann's/Best Foods are the ONLY two brands I buy. I was snookered into trying Duke's (oily and nasty; ended up using it to condition my hair) and Trader Joe's (so NOT "exactly like Hellman's/Best Foods" despite the lookalike jar). Good mayo IS expensive. The trick is to stock up when it is on sale.

As for the trick up tread who sneered at the 99¢ Only store, that store ROCKS. Everything in the store is 99¢. I've gotten bags of organic lettuce there, bunches of asparagus, various bottles of seasonings, other kitchen staples (sugar, salt), sugar free drink mixes, breakfast sausages. I once paid $2.67 for a bell pepper at Albertson's and I can get them 2 for 99¢ at the 99¢ Only store. It's a no-brainer to stop there once a week. Hell, if they sold brand name mayo I'd move in.

by Anonymousreply 9412/02/2012

Isn't Miracle Whip the same thing as mayonnaise?

by Anonymousreply 9512/02/2012

Why don't you make your...OW! Stop cutting me! Help!

by Anonymousreply 9612/02/2012

Hellmann's Blue Ribbon: 32oz. = $7.99 Lasts about month. Sometimes on sale for $5.99 However, I use it in several different kinds of recipes. Anything other than Hellmann's is drek.

by Anonymousreply 9712/02/2012

The Kirkland brand of mayonnaise at Costco IS Hellmans. Made at the same factory, just different label. A lot cheaper too.

by Anonymousreply 9812/02/2012

Only gays love mayo. They tongue that stuff right up.

by Anonymousreply 9912/29/2013

It's surprising how quickly homemade mayo will go bad when store-bought mayo will last months in the fridge, maybe years. Decades.

by Anonymousreply 10012/29/2013

Tide is definitely bullshit for the money.

Store brands are JUST as effective at cleaning your clothes.

Growing up, our housekeeper always used Tide, and my mom (who was the snooty type) swore by it. Looking back, you can see that the company simply had a great ad campaign. They just said they were the BEST and people believed it. They jacked up the price to prove it.

Finally at 35 years of age I stopped wasting money on it. My clothes are absolutely just as clean and stain free using a store brand. I knew when all the ghetto people shoplifting it from stores made the news a couple of years ago ("Black market Tide"), it had completely jumped the shark.

by Anonymousreply 10112/29/2013

r95 no Miracle Whip isn't the same, it's too sweet and I hate it.

Watch for sales on mayo and use coupons, I usually spend 99 cents for Kraft so I stock up.

by Anonymousreply 10212/29/2013
Need more help? Click Here.