Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

k.d. lang

Constant Craving and Ingenue were successful with critics and the public. Without being sell-outs.

What happened afterwards?

by Anonymousreply 10302/01/2013

You can see her in Las Vegas where she appears as Wayne Newton.

by Anonymousreply 109/12/2012

She hasn't had the same commercial success but she has put out some beautiful work.

Check out the 49th Parallel. Just gorgeous.

And she is STILL amazing to hear live. AMAZING.

by Anonymousreply 209/12/2012

She started writing way too many of her own songs -- and she still hasn't figured out a way to cross generations.

It's a shame; I saw her in concert a few months ago, and she still sounds gorgeous. Nobody does the classics better, and she's actually very funny between songs. But the average age of the audience was 50-60.

by Anonymousreply 309/12/2012

I love her version of Crying!

by Anonymousreply 409/12/2012

She has a strong beautiful voice, but i find all her music really really boring.

by Anonymousreply 509/12/2012

I like her version of Valley of the Dolls.

by Anonymousreply 609/12/2012

I have to agree with r5. She's a performer I want very much to like, but I just can't warm to her. She has a beautiful voice, but not a distinctive one.

by Anonymousreply 809/12/2012

[quote] She has a strong beautiful voice, but i find all her music really really boring.

[quote] She has a beautiful voice, but not a distinctive one.

My feeling is that she's not a good interpreter of songs - some people have lovely voices, but seem unable to inject real emotion/feelings into what they sing.

by Anonymousreply 909/12/2012

[quote]Check out the 49th Parallel. Just gorgeous.

That was eight years ago.

[quote]I like her version of Valley of the Dolls.

That was fifteen years ago.

[quote]I love her version of Crying!

That was [italic]twenty-five[/italic] years ago.

by Anonymousreply 1009/12/2012

She does not like being in front of an audience.

It is clearly work for her.

Lazy singer with a great talent.

Sucked the fun out of going to her concerts.

by Anonymousreply 1109/12/2012

I remember how she completely eclipsed rival lesbian Phranc.

by Anonymousreply 1209/12/2012

She's in Serbia getting a penis

by Anonymousreply 1309/12/2012

wasn't she more fun as a skinny cowpunk?

by Anonymousreply 1409/12/2012

[quote] What happened afterwards?

by Anonymousreply 1509/12/2012

Phranc is really good. I saw her open for X a few years back. She came out of the LA punk scene originally.

by Anonymousreply 1609/12/2012

When she played the lounge singer in that lesbian lounge in THE BLACK DAHLIA I remember not recognizing her at first and thinking, "Who is that whale?"

by Anonymousreply 1709/12/2012

It's a nice homage to the Marlene Dietrich look though, r17.

by Anonymousreply 1909/12/2012

pass the dildo please

by Anonymousreply 2009/12/2012

Marlene Dietrich? I thought it was a tribute to Orson Welles!

by Anonymousreply 2109/12/2012

I remember reading in the paper in 1989 about k.d. lang who was going to perform on tv that evening, and that Liza Minelli had been in the audience and called this performance of Crying the single best performance of one song that she'd ever seen on stage.

I watched it that night, taped it on my VCR and it's now available on YouTube.

Hope that you enjoy it.

It turned out to be the last song of hers that I've truly loved. 23 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 2209/12/2012

Phranc has to make ends meet as a Tupperware lady these days.

by Anonymousreply 2309/12/2012

She did look better when she was thinner. She had better music back then, too.

by Anonymousreply 2409/12/2012

She should have never left country music--it suits her voice the best. Too bad she pussed out (lol) and let the Nashville bigots run her off.

by Anonymousreply 2509/12/2012

Didn't she break up with her long time girlfriend a year ago?

This was last year. She looked rough.

by Anonymousreply 2609/12/2012

She looks so hot in that video, r24. Sharp and butch.

She's a HUGE stoner, and that must have affected her work and look. A friend saw her a year or two ago and he was stunned at how slovenly and unhealthily fat she had become. She came on stage in a beatup sweatshirt and looked like she hadn't showered in days.

by Anonymousreply 2709/12/2012

LOVE her voice, great talent! i remember she was on the cover of the magazine with cindy crawford! very hot!

by Anonymousreply 2809/12/2012

She once did an ad for MAC that shows how gorgeous she would have been (when slim) with make-up.

by Anonymousreply 2909/12/2012

Like Boy George, they can't pick out good material on their own. k.d. still has a great voice. Boy George, not so much. But when he first went solo, and still had the chance of making a comeback, he couldn't because the material he chose was really weak, really bottom of the barrel stuff. His voice is shot now, sadly. Although, his 1999 album with Culture Club was pretty good. Again, because he had others helping choose the material.

by Anonymousreply 3009/12/2012

Boy George also had Helen Terry, who complemented his voice well.

by Anonymousreply 3109/12/2012

Torch and Twang is by far my fave. The duet she did with Roy Orbison is incredible, and what she and Bryan Ferry could accomplish would we unimaginable!

P.S. They can both be disheveled and unattractive at times. Who cares? I listen to the voice, ahem.

by Anonymousreply 3209/12/2012

She is a gifted singer. Too bad she did let herself go. Now she looks unnervingly like a male acquaintance of mine and it's hard to watch her.

by Anonymousreply 3309/12/2012

If only she used make-up, she might look like she's Chinese.

by Anonymousreply 3409/12/2012

R30 & R31, have you heard the recent "Somebody to Love Me" by Mark Ronson feat. Boy George? It's really lovely, one of my favorite songs of the last few years. Boy George sounds great, especially when he's singing with Alex Greenwald near the end.

Physically, he suffers sharing a spotlight with Ronson and Greenwald, but vocally, he holds his own. Linking to a live version I love, though the more produced radio version is more polished.

by Anonymousreply 3509/13/2012

Phranc has been selling Tupperware for years. She has a sense of the absurd...

by Anonymousreply 3609/13/2012

She'd look like a chinese guy in make-up.

by Anonymousreply 3709/13/2012

As far as commercial success in popular music goes, she got her one-shot to be a one-hit pop-artist after crossing over from country, and that's that. She has a niche and I guess she does alright. I can think of many singers ( especially from the early 90s period for some reason) who had that one huge song and great album in that kind-of adult-contemporary-pop genre and never did anything again.

by Anonymousreply 3809/13/2012

And Chinese people are somehow not attractive, you're suggesting???

by Anonymousreply 3909/13/2012

R22 she slides and scoops too much when singing. A little bit is good but a lot of it makes it looks like u have a pitch problem and ure cheating when singing

by Anonymousreply 4009/13/2012

[quote]I can think of many singers ( especially from the early 90s period for some reason) who had that one huge song and great album in that kind-of adult-contemporary-pop genre and never did anything again.

Damn, I wish I had her career...

by Anonymousreply 4109/13/2012

She'd look like a Chinese Elvis impersonator (not that there's anything wrong with that).

by Anonymousreply 4209/13/2012

Back in the late 90s...anyone remember those days... *crickets*...I was looking at the movie posters outside the theatre on Sunset Blvd in West Hollywood. Then k.d. lang walks up and starts looking at the posters also. Was this the start of our lifelong friendship? Was she admiring my adidas sneaker/sandal combo? And then Leisha Hailey (of future "L Word" fame) walked up and said, "Hey" and k.d. said, "Hey" and they both walked into the theatre...without me. An afternoon of Sapphic love dashed in the blink of an eye. I still wonder what could have been had Leisha flaked out, to film another Yoplait commercial, or something. Come back to the Sunset 5, k.d. lang, k.d. lang.

by Anonymousreply 4309/13/2012

She got old and fat.

by Anonymousreply 4409/13/2012

wow. She looks bloated. hope it's not booze.

by Anonymousreply 4509/13/2012

I'm with r2- she did a benefit in TO where I happened to be around for the sound check- goosebumps- her voice is so incredible...

by Anonymousreply 4609/13/2012

Kathy is a fantastic singer but not a very good songwriter. She shines when she performs other people's songs. But her own stuff is weak and boring.

George is a good, not a great, singer. His voice now is raspy and damaged-sounding, which I actually really like. He can still pull it off. But he's a good songwriter. He's written some beautiful, lyrically edgy songs and I actually prefer his solo work to the more AM radio friendly Culture Club stuff.

by Anonymousreply 4709/13/2012

by Anonymousreply 4809/13/2012

She's one of my favorites; best voice of her generation, IMHO.

Agree she does much better with others' material. There are so many times when I hear or think of a song and think, "Gee, wouldn't it be great if kd lang covered that?"

Isn't she vegan? Can't understand how a vegan can be so "big"!

Heard she's moved to Portland, but haven't seen her around town yet.

by Anonymousreply 4909/13/2012

Jane Siberry opened for her on several dates on her most recent tour. Are they a couple?

by Anonymousreply 5009/13/2012

by Anonymousreply 5109/13/2012

She looks like that closeted queen Brent Spiner.

by Anonymousreply 5209/13/2012

Always thought her singing lacked passion and her songs weren't very good, and to look at her is to retch. Linda Ronstadt was much better in every way.

by Anonymousreply 5309/13/2012

she got so fart

by Anonymousreply 5409/13/2012

I once heard a terrific version of No More Tears (Enough is Enough) sung by k.d. lang and Andy Bell.

Never been able to find it though.

by Anonymousreply 5509/13/2012

i have it on mp3 r55, do you want me to upload it somewhere?

by Anonymousreply 5609/13/2012

i thought their version sucked, the definitive one is the original, as always

by Anonymousreply 5709/13/2012

saw her live a few years ago in an perfect-acoustic concert hall in fort worth. she was magnificent. funny, and works with excellent musicians

by Anonymousreply 5809/13/2012

I first encountered her in our native Alberta, when she appeared at age 17 in a country musical directed by a friend of mine. She was just Kathy Lang back then, with big country-girl hair. After the show was over, I told my director friend, "The big girl's got a helluva voice, but she sure can't act." About a year later, I was working on a different show, and encouraged that show's director to audition her for a mostly singing role. She came in, guitar in hand, and sang us a dull song. Both of us thought she seemed was a terrible audition and we didn't hire her. To her credit, she clearly did the audition out of obligation, not because she wanted the part. Not long after that, she was a star. No doubt about the voice, it's great, but she isn't a capable song-writer, never mind a great one, and the impression I've always had is that she isn't exactly smart, but she is eccentric, even a bit wacko.

by Anonymousreply 5909/13/2012

R26, she doesn't look that terrible considering she's what in her 60s? That's more or less normal aging.

by Anonymousreply 6009/13/2012

[quote]Jane Siberry opened for her on several dates on her most recent tour. Are they a couple?

I doubt it. They've worked together in the past and obviously admire each other as artists. k.d. covered a couple of Jane's songs on Hymns of the 49th Parallel.

by Anonymousreply 6109/13/2012

He used to be so hot...but I never understood why he wore a skirt on Pee Wee's Christmas Special.

by Anonymousreply 6209/13/2012

k.d. on Pee-Wee's Christmas special:

by Anonymousreply 6309/13/2012

R63, I have an old videotape of the PeeWee Xmas special -- traditional holiday viewing at our house! kd, Cher, Dinah Shore, Charo -- what's not to like?

by Anonymousreply 6409/13/2012

She'll be the next Barbara Cook (pun intended). She has taken care of her voice and she may be able to sing for many decades to come. She may only have a niche following.

She should shoot Len Mink. He led her on to believe she had songwriting talent. She shines on that duets album with Tony Bennett.

She has a fantastic standards album in her future. Maybe she'll do a Rod Stewart type big arena tour if her standards album hits it big like fellow fattie Linda Ronstadt.

She sings shitty songs beautifully. She needs to sing great songs.

by Anonymousreply 6509/13/2012

kd is making it on her past not her current songs, which all sound like artsy coffee house crap and lame tunes. I had the displeaseure of seeing her new show. She did her new album which sounds like.....artsy coffee house crap and lame tunes.

by Anonymousreply 6609/13/2012

yeah, why doesn't she put out a xmas album like rod stewart? i'm sure it'll be a big hit! i'll buy it for sure.

by Anonymousreply 6709/13/2012

[quote] she doesn't look that terrible considering she's what in her 60s?

Alas, she is only 50!

by Anonymousreply 6809/13/2012

Did I get in before all the man/butch & fat jokes- no? Oh well?

Torch and Twang was one of the greatest country western albums evar. I still can't keep myself from toe-tapping along whenever I hear any song on that album. Classic.

She's never been an asshole of a celebrity and always supported the gays. She seems like big stoner. I hope she's doing okay.

In other Lesbian news. I saw Amy Ray and Emily Saliers of the Indigo Girls on some Food Network competition as judges. Amy looked good and right for her age but Emily Saliers looked... ill. She was well overweight and had this odd smile on her face and shifted around like she couldn't stand still and she was ... acting almost childish. It was weird. Does anyone know if she's okay?

by Anonymousreply 6909/13/2012

R69 - Emily Saliers had some sort of 'personal emergency' last year, which resulted in a few Indigo Girls dates being cancelled. There has been speculation about her health, but nothing publicly confirmed.

by Anonymousreply 7009/13/2012

R56, I would love to have that! Trying to figure out a way...

by Anonymousreply 7109/13/2012

r63: Ouch. That's a song k.d. should have knocked out of the park, but that was just awful. Stupid dress (rather see her in jeans instead), bouncing around throwing her arms about and bellowing the lyrics, even going off-key at times.

by Anonymousreply 7209/13/2012

@ R68, oops! That's unfortunate. Guess the years in the sun and maybe alcohol(?) finally too their toll.

by Anonymousreply 7309/13/2012

[quote]She sings shitty songs beautifully. She needs to sing great songs.

You could say this about quite a few singers of the last couple of decades - Whitney Houston, Celine, Sinead, Boy George. The problem isn't the singers - it's the songwriters. There aren't any.

by Anonymousreply 7409/13/2012

Amy and Emily were guest judges for a quick-fire challenge on Top Chef Masters a few weeks back. Why? No idea. The chefs were clearly told to act like these were the biggest pop stars in history gracing their show. Anyway, it was extraordinary because Amy has barely changed, she looked great. Emily looked like a sloppy Walmart-shopping, McDonald-eating frau. She was very heavy, and she looked sloppy like she threw on a stretched-out dirty t-shirt. She seemed a little bit loopy, sort of skittishly giggly, hard to explain.

My guess is she is on some sort of medication which is causing her to bloat and to be slightly off in her behavior. High doses of Prednisone? Or maybe atypical antipsychotic meds? Her skin looked awful but no news there, she always had acne and I remember photographers sometimes shot her face in part shadow to conceal it.

by Anonymousreply 7509/13/2012

She no longer seems to be into the songs she's singing. It's as if she shows up just to get paid.

by Anonymousreply 7609/13/2012

Speculation about Emily Saliers is a movement disorder, Parkinson's type. Lots of prednisone. She's got steroid bloat.

by Anonymousreply 7709/14/2012

Is she still friends with Etheridge, Ellen and Rosie?

by Anonymousreply 7809/14/2012

Lez-lezzes don't make good musicians-singers. The only one I like is Lesley Gore (that I can think of at the moment). Hate Melissa Etheridge, the Indigo Girls, this one. . .

by Anonymousreply 7909/14/2012

I have to say I am baffled by comments that kd doesn't sing with emotion. At the Vancouver Olympics her performance was so powerful I froze in front of the tv and it felt like time stopped. Many others had the same experience. I know that some of her songs are not that accessible but that voice is so beautiful I'd listen to her sing the names in the phonebook. No one is perfect. Not her not any of us. Some of us age well, some don't. Some remain thin, some not so much. We all are what we are, and she is the most wonderful vocalist I have heard.

by Anonymousreply 8009/14/2012

She doesn't rock, none of her songs are danceable or have energy, she's not versatile and her voice doesn't convey anger like Linda or Cher can.

by Anonymousreply 8109/14/2012

[quote] Lez-lezzes don't make good musicians-singers.

R79 - You really need to get out more!

by Anonymousreply 8209/14/2012

name some then, only one I could think of was Lesley Gore.

by Anonymousreply 8309/17/2012

Oh it guess Linda Perry is a good songwriter, I don't like her as a singer-performer, 'though.

by Anonymousreply 8409/17/2012

[quote] Isn't she vegan? Can't understand how a vegan can be so "big"!

She clearly has a constant craving for cupcakes.

by Anonymousreply 8511/19/2012

She peaked a while ago.

The problem with fame, is it creates a world around you of yes-people, dishing out complements at every turn, so you lose the ability to tell if what you are doing, is actually good.

When you are first trying to make it, your only option is pump out good tunes. (Unless you are the Corporate teen beat act of the week, in which case marketing compensates with over promotion and insider media connections)

by Anonymousreply 8611/20/2012

Shadowland and Torch and Twang are great albums,Ingenue and Drag are very good. But the rest...not so much. Do love her voice and she can still have something of a career if she would do other people's songs and standards, I think. Her Hallelujah was stunning, even if that song has been way overdone.

by Anonymousreply 8711/20/2012

I'm still bothered that I caught her sneaking bacon on her breakfast omelette at Studio City Farmers' Market. Vegan my ass.

by Anonymousreply 8811/20/2012

Canadians are not capable of not eating bacon. It is like Americans and hamburgers.

by Anonymousreply 8911/20/2012

[quote]I'm still bothered that I caught her sneaking bacon on her breakfast omelette at Studio City Farmers' Market.

by Anonymousreply 9011/20/2012

Fun fact: "Miss Chatelaine" is about her being named Woman of the Year in 1988 by [italic]Chatelaine,[/italic] Canada's premier frau rag. The drag she donned in the video and the live performances she did at the time was an inside joke about the magazine retouching her cover photo to make her look like she was wearing makeup.

by Anonymousreply 9111/20/2012

Sorry I don't know how to embed videos. I'm an eldergay.

by Anonymousreply 9211/20/2012

She's just too fat. No amount of talent can overcome that.

by Anonymousreply 9311/20/2012

[quote]wasn't she more fun as a skinny cowpunk?

Yes she was, R14.

by Anonymousreply 9411/20/2012

[quote]She's just too fat. No amount of talent can overcome that

by Anonymousreply 9511/20/2012

Her cover of "Secret Love" at the beginning of the documentary film "The Celluloid Closet" is one of my favorite tunes. She is amazing on it. Sadly, it was never released.

I do love her music and she has a very distinctive voice. (The poster who claimed she didn't is misguided, to say the least.)

by Anonymousreply 9611/20/2012

She does a good cover of Talking Heads' "Heaven." I think it's on youtube.

by Anonymousreply 9711/21/2012

It must be difficult to get up in the morning and have to decided if you'll be k.d. lang today or Wayne Newton.

by Anonymousreply 9811/21/2012

I agree with the opinion expressed above that kd through most of her career has been a better interpreter of songs than a songwriter.... And yet Ingenue, her most successful record, was entirely original songs.

by Anonymousreply 9911/21/2012

[quote] a better interpreter of songs than a songwriter

I can't imagine anyone considering kd to be a good songwriter.

by Anonymousreply 10011/21/2012

She is one of my favorite singers. I don't care how big she is or anything else about her. She is a great singer.

by Anonymousreply 10111/21/2012

Loved her cover of "Skylark" in [italic]Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 10211/21/2012

[quote] She is one of my favorite singers. I don't care how big she is or anything else about her. She is a great singer.

by Anonymousreply 10302/01/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!