Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"White trash" foods you grew up with

Inspired by Nolita's (Sordid Lives) tuna casserole with crushed Lays potato chips on top.

I too grew up with a tuna casserole only with American cheese slices on top.

by Anonymousreply 16012/26/2012

Olive Loaf on white bread with Kraft Miracle Whip.

by Anonymousreply 209/12/2012

SOS (Shit On a Shingle)

by Anonymousreply 309/12/2012

Mac and cheese.

by Anonymousreply 409/12/2012

Potato pancakes. De-lish!

by Anonymousreply 509/12/2012

[quote] I just don't like derogatory terms. Especially on DL.

hon, you must SURELy be new here.

by Anonymousreply 609/12/2012

nothing at the time but the things that were considered piss-elegant Then would seem painfully trashy now like jello-salads which were the HEIGHT of elegance then.

by Anonymousreply 709/12/2012

R1 I don't really think of tomato soup and grilled cheese as "white trash". That's just comfort food.

by Anonymousreply 809/12/2012

Spam. Vienna sausage. Velveeta.

by Anonymousreply 909/12/2012

My stepdad made something that was, as far as I can remember, a couple pounds of ground beef, browned, mixed with a box of cooked elbow macaroni & a little bit of butter to moisten it. We called it "Blah Casserole". We would usually just put whatever we wanted on it. I, being the totally fabulous kid I was, drowned it in ketchup.

by Anonymousreply 1009/12/2012

R3 that stuff makes me glad I was raised in the south.

Our version of SOS is biscuits with sawmill gravy.

by Anonymousreply 1109/12/2012

Canned spaghetti on toast.

by Anonymousreply 1209/12/2012

We do this thread at least twice a year.

by Anonymousreply 1309/12/2012

Spam.

Scrapple.

by Anonymousreply 1409/12/2012

Mac and cheese with sliced hot dogs and ketchup. Disgusting to me now, but heavenly when I was growing up

by Anonymousreply 1509/12/2012

My mother used to make something out of leftover turkey in a white sauce served over toast. It was delicious though.

by Anonymousreply 1609/12/2012

Peanut butter and banana sandwiches

by Anonymousreply 1709/12/2012

Fried baloney! We'd fry it in butter, then sop up the butter with white bread. It was great!

by Anonymousreply 1809/12/2012

Kraft Dinner!

by Anonymousreply 2009/12/2012

A lot of Italian dishes are pretty much the equivalent of Poor White Trash meals.

That the suckers now pay top dollar for them, that's priceless.

by Anonymousreply 2109/12/2012

Any sandwich with Miracle Whip...still like it.

Hot dogs wrapped in Pillsbury Crescent Rolls, I'd eat them now.

Casseroles made with Cream of Anything soup. Still like this too.

by Anonymousreply 2209/12/2012

Hamburger Helper

by Anonymousreply 2309/12/2012

I've been vegetarian for over a decade, but I still crave a fried baloney sandwich sometimes.

Nothing could ever make me eat Vienna sausages again, though.

by Anonymousreply 2409/12/2012

Creamed tuna on toast. With chopped up hard boiled eggs in it. I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 2509/12/2012

Cream chipped beef

by Anonymousreply 2609/12/2012

Can of King Oscar sardines and a pack of Salems.

by Anonymousreply 2709/12/2012

corn fritters

by Anonymousreply 2809/12/2012

Another vote for fried bologna. LOVED IT.

by Anonymousreply 2909/12/2012

Tater Tot casserole

browned ground beef, chopped onion, can of mushroom soup in a casserole dish add grated cheddar cheese and top off with a layer of frozen tater tots.. bake at 350 til brown and bubbly.. y'all.

by Anonymousreply 3009/12/2012

Your mother wasn't Gloria Vanderbilt was she R1?

by Anonymousreply 3109/12/2012

I keep a full frito pie, spam with cheeze whiz, braunschweiger on saltines, SpaghettiOs and some Little Debbies just off camera.

by Anonymousreply 3209/12/2012

I love Candy

by Anonymousreply 3309/12/2012

Plain white sheet cake.

Let cool.

Take a toothpick and poke holes throughout the entire surface.

One cup Jello (liquified), color optional.

Pour over the cake, ensuring the liquid soaks into the indented surface.

Let settle.

Take one tub Cool Whip.

Spread liberally over the entire surface of the now cooled cake.

Chill for several hours.

Slice, serve and STUN!

by Anonymousreply 3409/12/2012

Oh shit, R3, I remember that cake only my mom would make a channel and pour strawberry jello and frozen strawberries into it then top with cool whip.

by Anonymousreply 3509/12/2012

[quote]A lot of Italian dishes are pretty much the equivalent of Poor White Trash meals.

Please elaborate. I grew up on Italian food (my parents were immigrants) and find it vastly different than "white trash" foods.

Now, we did eat "cucina povera" because money was pretty tight.

by Anonymousreply 3609/12/2012

R35, SOS is creamed chipped beef on toast.

by Anonymousreply 3709/12/2012

Swanson's chicken pot pies. I still like them, every now and then.

We didn't have them often as kids, usually when my parents were going out for the evening and my mom didn't have time to cook. Sometimes it was fish sticks. Otherwise she was a great cook for traditional comfort foods such as meatloaf and pot-roast.

by Anonymousreply 3809/12/2012

Shitloads of Crisco in everything.

I won't eat at my mom's anymore because I don't know what she's been cooking with.

When I do have to eat at her house I just move the food around the plate, she never notices.

by Anonymousreply 3909/12/2012

After school I used to chop hot dogs up into bite size pieces and fry them in a pan. Toothpicks optional. Mmmm. Trashy deliciousness.

Ask my sister about her sauteed onions and American cheese...

by Anonymousreply 4009/12/2012

Fried bologna with a slice cut into it so it didn't bubble.

Biscuits in a can deep fried with the middle punched out with a bottle top and sprinkled with sugar. DONUTS!

Hamburgers about three inches thick fried in a pan and served between two slices of Rainbo Bread, never served on hamburger buns.

The burgers were never properly drained so you were forced to eat them with the sodden white dough from the "buns".

by Anonymousreply 4109/12/2012

I feel my love handles expanding reading this thread.

by Anonymousreply 4209/12/2012

Fluffernutter.

Tuna Casserole with Chung King Noodles on it (to make it "International").

Definitely fried bologna - an extra special treat.

Miniature hot dogs with a dipping sauce made of grape jelly and cocktail sauce.

by Anonymousreply 4309/12/2012

Buttered noodles.

Mom would buy a box of whatever was on sale... shells, elbow macaroni, etc and boil them as per instructions. Then, melt butter in a large skillet and throw in the noodles. Lots of salt & pepper. Let the noodles simmer in the butter for about 5 minutes or so. Then serve. Delicious!

I still make these as a side dish a few times a month, so simple but oh so good!

by Anonymousreply 4409/12/2012

Frozen Morton Donuts which we'd put in the oven to heat.

by Anonymousreply 4509/12/2012

Kraft Mac & Cheese. 4 boxes for a buck top it of with ketchup for a special treat. We were poor but loved it. Haven't touched it in 30+ years though.

by Anonymousreply 4609/12/2012

Oh, how could I forget... we thought we were living like kings when mom would pull a frozen Sara Lee or Pepperidge Farm cake out of the freezer for dessert...

by Anonymousreply 4709/12/2012

Canned fruit cocktail

by Anonymousreply 4809/12/2012

R45 I used to love those Morton's donuts especially when I got into high school and smoked pot. We used to get high and pop Morton's Honey Buns into the oven. Damn, they were good. Do they still make them?

by Anonymousreply 4909/12/2012

Macaroni and tomatoes.

Shell pasta with canned stewed tomatoes. Little butter added to make it taste richer.

Excuse me while I do some situps.

by Anonymousreply 5009/12/2012

Pudding in a cloud - you line a bowl with Cool Whip then fill the interior with chocolate pudding.

by Anonymousreply 5109/12/2012

I think I'd call that a 'toilet bowl,' r51. I'd still eat it though.

by Anonymousreply 5209/12/2012

Take an ice cream scoop of butter and squirt some ketchup on it, then microwave till hot and pour it over sketti.

Serve in washed-out plastic "Country Crock" containers. Eat in front of TV.

SUGAR BEAR! DINNER'S ON!

by Anonymousreply 5309/12/2012

r49, I haven't looked; but it's funny how the thought of frozen donuts seems kind of gross to me now that fresh are more widely available.

by Anonymousreply 5409/12/2012

R1, you may not like derogatory terms, but get ready for some in your misguided, lunatic, ascetic PC cuntery, you phony, smug crotch plucker. Waddle your twat elsewhere.

God bless and rest the soul of the late, great Ernest Matthew Mickler, whose "White Trash Cookery" 26 years ago started the trend of celebrating the down-home, trashy, convenient-and-comforting-without-airs style of cooking so many of us knew as part of normal.

For God's sake, would someone smack the insufferable R1 upside her fat head with a copy, wherein Helen Hayes writes a blurb in its praise, proudly declaring herself to be white trash.

Christ A'mighty. I hate these inauthentically moralistic cunts on this site nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 5509/12/2012

Take one Banquet pot pie, any variety, and mash over one package of Ramen noodles, any variety. (Both of them have been cooked, obviously.) Cheap and filling.

by Anonymousreply 5609/13/2012

Some of this stuff really sounds interesting. The only thing listed that we had was potato pancakes. I didn't know they were "white trash" food. We always had them with roast pork.

My mother and aunt taught cooking so kids in our families brown bagged our lunches but it was always things that were nowhere near normal fare like PB&J.

I once complained about my lunch. The next day, I opened my lunch and thought I must have dropped the meat on the floor since it wasn't between the slices of bread. The guys at my table were helping me look for it under the table. That ketchup sandwich taught me to never complain about my lunch again.

by Anonymousreply 5709/13/2012

I got this! I grew up really poor in rural eastern Kentucky. We regularly had macaroni and tomatoes, soup beans, and corn bread (or biscuit bread) for dinner. Soup beans are called pinto beans by the rest of y'all.

Here's a recipe for biscuit bread. It's a Southern staple. As an adult I make a vegan version without buttermilk and bacon fat.

by Anonymousreply 5809/13/2012

I pasted the link in the wrong box. Apologies!

by Anonymousreply 5909/13/2012

R38, Canned fruit cocktail but with added fresh chopped apples and bananas.

Plain fried hamburger in a pan. Plain beef liver. Eventually thought barbecue sauce tasted like liver, because that's the only way I'd eat it.

Broiled chicken backs and necks. Our wealthy neighbor called it "cat food."

Plain oatmeal in milk. No spice, raisins a rare treat, maybe just a pinch of brown sugar. Same with cornmeal mush.

by Anonymousreply 6009/13/2012

Any of my horses that are not pretty enough for me, or fail to win me a medal. We just fry the damn horse, and serve it to the staff.

by Anonymousreply 6109/13/2012

Paul Krendler

by Anonymousreply 6209/13/2012

Fish fingers, chips, and beans.

by Anonymousreply 6309/13/2012

ground up rat meat

by Anonymousreply 6509/13/2012

Scrapple (I went to school with a couple of scrapple heirs)

Muskrat (seen in the freezer case of some old-style gas stations and country stores, their rodent-like claws and teeth sometimes sticking out of a too small plastic bag)

by Anonymousreply 6609/13/2012

My mistake: I somehow misread "foods you grew up with" as "foods where you lived." These were local "specialties," but never served up on my plate.

by Anonymousreply 6709/13/2012

Potted meat on white bread.

Mayonnaise sandwiches.

Large dill pickle wrapped in a slice of bologna.

Chopped hotdogs in pork and beans.

I can't remember the brand name but we'd boil those pouches that had slices of turkey or beef in gravy and pour it over white bread, of course.

For dessert, place a marshmallow on a Ritz cracker and put in toaster oven until top of marshmallow was crisped up. The salty and sweet tastes combined were heaven!

by Anonymousreply 6809/13/2012

My cousins got me started on hot dogs and beans with brown bread that comes in a can. I can't find the brown bread in NYC.

by Anonymousreply 6909/13/2012

That canned bread has always fascinated me.

by Anonymousreply 7009/13/2012

I love how someone else called Kraft Mac 'N Cheese 'Kraft Dinner'. I've never heard anywhere else besides my family.

We'd have soupy beans and cornbread. A pan full of pinto beans (soaked overnight of course) then boiled to death and back (no onion, no hot sauce).

We were dirt poor but found a way to get protein into every meal. Now about the flatulence......

by Anonymousreply 7109/13/2012

Vienetta! Sadly no longer available in N. America.

by Anonymousreply 7209/13/2012

A sack of Krystals and greasy french fries.

For you northeners they are similar to White Castle hamburgers but better.

Nicknames for the were gutbusters or Belly bombs.

If we had extra money we would have a Moon Pie with an RC cola.

by Anonymousreply 7309/13/2012

Another fried "baloney" family here. And ketchup on everything.

by Anonymousreply 7409/13/2012

[quote]I love how someone else called Kraft Mac 'N Cheese 'Kraft Dinner'. I've never heard anywhere else besides my family.

It's always been called "Kraft Dinner" here in Canada, or "KD" for short.

by Anonymousreply 7509/13/2012

by Anonymousreply 7609/13/2012

R1 = Ann Romney

There is nothing trashy about grilled cheese and tomato soup, unless you're ridiculously snobbish.

by Anonymousreply 7709/13/2012

[quote] I loved it but my mother thought it low class. Maybe I'm not quoting her right but that was the jist it.

Your high class mother should have taught you how to spell "gist."

by Anonymousreply 7809/13/2012

[quote] we'd boil those pouches that had slices of turkey or beef in gravy

Boil-N-Bags. I'm pretty sure they were a Banquet product. I used to pour them over minute rice in college. They were advertised as "Gravy with turkey," because there was so much gravy and so little meat that consumer groups got after them about labeling.

Consumer groups. There's a blast from the past. That was before consumer groups were infiltrated by corporations and destroyed. And before the days of corporate-funded AstroTurf groups.

by Anonymousreply 7909/13/2012

I used to stir a heaping tablespoon of (Patak's) curry paste into my Kraft Dinner. Surprisingly delicious combo.

by Anonymousreply 8009/13/2012

Whenever my parents went out, we'd have La Choy Chop Suey (Chinese food in a can), Hot Dogs and Bush's baked beans or a Swanson's Chicken Pot Pie. She'd never serve that shit to my father but we kiddos loved it.

I had a party on New Years Eve and made a lot of 70s kitschy hors douevres including pigs in a blanket, mini quiches, cheese puffs, swedish meatballs, angels on horseback and a portwine cheese ball. I've never had the appetizers disappear so quickly. There's something to be said for comfort food.

by Anonymousreply 8109/13/2012

Though I clamored for it, we never had sugary breakfast cereals around when I grew up.

My mother's breakfast was half a grapefruit, low-fat cottage cheese, two cups of coffee, and a gram of speed.

by Anonymousreply 8209/13/2012

R69, R70, That "canned brown bread" may be the one I remember, and is made with molasses and raisins. Typically it's served with Boston Baked Beans. Wonder if they sell it in Boson.

by Anonymousreply 8309/13/2012

Miracle Whip sandwiches

Tuna casserole with elbow macaroni, cream of mushroom soup, and potato chips on top

by Anonymousreply 8409/13/2012

My mom used to buy the B&M brown bread in a can to make stuffing with. Delish. I think I've seen it in the canned vegetable aisle of the supermarket, probably next to cans of B&M baked beans. There are a lot of places that sell it online though.

by Anonymousreply 8509/13/2012

I had never even heard of canned bread until this thread. Why would you buy it when (relatively) fresh bread is available in any supermarket or minimart?? So strange.

by Anonymousreply 8609/13/2012

r43 you are the only other person I know of who has had the tuna casserole with the crunchy chow mien noodles. I thought that was how everyone's mom made it. Not the white sauce style but with tuna, cream of celery soup, chopped celery, chow mien noodles and soy sauce. YUM!

by Anonymousreply 8709/13/2012

Kraft cheese spreads (an orange one with pimentos and a blue cheese one) on celery sticks. Orange Crush soda. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on Wonder Bread.

by Anonymousreply 8809/13/2012

I don't know what it is called but you tear up a bunch of bread, cover the bottom of a big cassarole dish with a layer, top this layer with bacon or ham or sausage, then top that with a layer of cheese, then cover that with more bread, then more meat, more cheese and more bread on the very top. Then you get three eggs and whip them up in a cup and a half of whole milk and pour it over the whole dish, making sure everything gets wet.

You do this at night and then put it in the refrigerator over night so the bread and other ingredients sop up all the milk and eggs. In the morning, you bake it for an hour.

It's sort of like a bread custard lasagna, and really hits the spot on icy mornings.

by Anonymousreply 8909/13/2012

Breakfast casserole R72. Only I use only one layer of bread and meat.

by Anonymousreply 9009/13/2012

R86, B&M Brown Bread in a can (thanks R85) is similar to a healthier raisin bread, not sandwich bread. Great for those times when you can't get to a market or for camping, or emergencies, and it goes well with B&M Brown Beans.

by Anonymousreply 9109/13/2012

R89, thats what SJP's character makes in "The Family Stone".

by Anonymousreply 9209/13/2012

Mom regularly made what she called Sizzle Burgers - hamburger patties sauteed (or "fried" I suppose since sautee is too fancy a word) in Worcestershire sauce and butter. Salmon patties were a weeknight fave too.

by Anonymousreply 9309/13/2012

It was a variation on Ambrosia written on the package of Kraft miniature marshmallows.

Can of crushed pineapple 1/2 pint of whipping cream sweetened with 2 tablespoons of sugar - whipped package of Kraft miniature marshmallows

blend all together

It was as vile as it sounds but my Mom made it on Christmas and other "special" occasions. My sister and I often reminisce about the horrid concoction we were forced to eat.

Just a little Mom I'm really stuffed!

by Anonymousreply 9409/13/2012

Vienna sausages!

But of course now DeAundra Peek has made Vienna sausages a HIGH CLASS treat!

by Anonymousreply 9509/13/2012

The Atlanta version of SOS was browned ground beef, drained, with a white sauce added to it. Sometimes over yesterday's biscuits or on toast. I still make it, but now I use turkey.

by Anonymousreply 9609/13/2012

Cook some big lima beans, cool 'em in the fridge overnight to thicken the beans and sauce, then spread 'em between two slices of lightly toasted bread.

by Anonymousreply 9709/13/2012

I make a version of that when I have brunch, R87. It's called a 'strata'. Sometimes I do a sweet version layered with berries and cream cheese.

by Anonymousreply 9809/13/2012

TUNA FISH ROLL-UPS

Make biscuit dough with Bisquick & roll it out in a rectangle shape.

Mix a can of tuna with half a can of Cream Of Mushroom Soup & spread it over the dough.

Roll the dough from the short end like a jelly roll -- cut into 8 pieces -- lay them flat on their sides like pinwheels in a baking pan -- bake per Bisquick directions for biscuits.

Meanwhile, mix the other half can of soup with half a can of milk & heat to make sauce.

Serve each person 1 or 2 pinwheels & pour some sauce over.

This is one of the things we'd have on Fridays when Catholics couldn't eat meat -- I still make it sometimes because it's cheap & good -- I also liked it with canned devilled ham instead of tuna (but not on Fridays).

by Anonymousreply 9909/13/2012

White trash is "our term!" You have no right using that term. (snicker)

by Anonymousreply 10009/13/2012

What is "loose meat"?

by Anonymousreply 10109/13/2012

R101, Ground hamburger, crumbled and fried, sometimes seasoned. Not in a patty. Loose meat sandwiches usually had the American standards of ketchup and mustard.

by Anonymousreply 10209/13/2012

Since hot dog buns were too expensive and not healthy, we put our dogs in corn tortillas that we first toasted in the toaster. Then added mustard and pickle relish. When I first told a friend from Mexico this story, she gave me the strangest look.

by Anonymousreply 10309/13/2012

Camp Fire Girls' cookouts meant special treats. Packaged biscuit dough cooked on a stick covered with foil; partly raw and partly burnt. Add butter so it doesn't taste so awful. "Angels on Horseback," which was marshmallows dipped in sweetened condensed milk and then coconut and cooked on the same foil-covered stick. I refused the bisquick pancakes cooked in a ton of bacon grease that everyone else loved; stomach ache express.

by Anonymousreply 10409/13/2012

[quote]Mom regularly made what she called Sizzle Burgers - hamburger patties sauteed (or "fried" I suppose since sautee is too fancy a word) in Worcestershire sauce and butter.

r93 - My ex-wife used to make them. Pretty good. Are you from Minnesota?

by Anonymousreply 10509/13/2012

R101 never watched "Roseanne".

by Anonymousreply 10609/13/2012

R105, Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce used to run a commercial featuring that recipe, oh, probably decades ago now. I remember it being quite good.

by Anonymousreply 10709/13/2012

r107 - Hmm, I'm old and don't remember those commercials.

She also tried to make something once with canned salmon. It tasted like cat food to me. One of the reasons I did almost all the cooking.

I did like the sizzle burgers and what she called "goulash" which was noodles, ground meat, canned tomatoes and corn.

But except for salmon in a can, I never complained when she cooked since I got the night off.

by Anonymousreply 10809/13/2012

Cracklin' Corn Bread. Which is basically corn bread with pork skin pieces baked in to it. Haven't had it in years – since growing up in SC, but really tasty.

Oh, well, and of course ... boiled peanuts. Yum!

by Anonymousreply 10909/14/2012

Potato pancakes are an ethnic food, not a white trash food.

by Anonymousreply 11009/14/2012

tacos, pot roast, flan, oatmeal, turbout, walnuts, okra, chicken wings.

by Anonymousreply 11109/14/2012

So does Hamburger Helper Qualify? We were in heaven when momma would make it and I always had my favorite as well as my siblings. I liked the "lasagne" and the "cheeseburger" ones. My dad always had steak on the grill on those days but we loved them. I never had a steak until I was like 20. Now I get it, but I am still tempted to see if I like it as an adult. I used to love Spaghettio's as a child but hate them now.

by Anonymousreply 11209/14/2012

Peanut butter and marshmallow creme sandwiches.

PB and banana sandwiches on toast.

Beans and hot dogs.

by Anonymousreply 11309/14/2012

Walnuts are hardly "white trash", FGS.

by Anonymousreply 11409/14/2012

We ate at Lutece once.

by Anonymousreply 11509/14/2012

r112 - your father had a different meal than you did?

by Anonymousreply 11609/14/2012

R111??? Walnuts are "white trash"? Tacos? Pot roast? WTF?

by Anonymousreply 11709/15/2012

Non free-range chicken.

by Anonymousreply 11809/15/2012

[quote] Now I get it, but I am still tempted to see if I like it as an adult. I used to love Spaghettio's as a child but hate them now.

My favorite comfort food was Chef Boy-Ar-Dee ravioli in a can, until I was in my early 30s(!). Practically overnight I became disgusted with it and can't believe I ever loved it now.

by Anonymousreply 11909/15/2012

Pate made with pork liver rather than goose or duck liver. Friends would come over and be shocked. But it's all we could afford, and at least it was wrapped in bacon from our own pigs.

by Anonymousreply 12009/15/2012

Government cheese

Chunky Soup over Minute Rice

On-Cor/Morton anything (Banquet/Swanson being for rich people)

City Chicken (basically pork remnant meat on a stick)

Swedish meatballs, extended with rice AND breadcrumbs

Drink-Aid (because Kool-Aid was too expensive; we had fake Tang, too)

Navy bean soup

Pickle and pimento loaf

by Anonymousreply 12109/15/2012

Faygo.

by Anonymousreply 12209/15/2012

r83 you can buy the B&M Brown Bread through Amazon if they don't sell it. I grew up in MA and we ate it all the time. They sell it here in CA at our Ralphs, though!

by Anonymousreply 12309/15/2012

This thread is fun and while a tad disgusting at times, some of the shit sounds good!

Memories are so amazing because at the mention of some of these forgotten foods, I can totally SMELL them again! I despise the scent of Vienna sausages and can almost vomit at the sight of them

I recall getting Hostess or Dolly Madison fruit pies from the bakery thrift store where nearly expired products went to die. They were like 3 or 4 for a dollar! I'd warm up an apple pie in the microwave, let the center break open and then hurl a big dollop of Cool Whip on the middle of it.

My stepfather used to recall taking a slice of white bread, putting it in a bowl and sprinkling sugar on it, then covering it with milk and eating it. To me then and now this sounded nasty!! Likewise, my stepmother was raised on a very rare concoction of spaghetti with red sauce that had mashed potatoes mixed in!! Again disgusting. Both of my parents wed gussied-up white trash on their second go 'rounds.

On that note, R55 scared the hell out of me, but I can't help admiring his use of words and his refreshing attitude. I am sick to death of PC people and their neverending agendas.

Lastly, did anyone have to suffer through Ritz cracker "Mock Apple Pie" in which you used a ton of crackers and spices, but no fruit? I always wanted to make it but my mother balked at using up all the crackers that way!

by Anonymousreply 12409/15/2012

[quote]tacos, pot roast, flan, oatmeal, turbout [turbot?], walnuts, okra, chicken wings.

R111, may I ask why you consider these items to be "white trash foods"? Not arguing, just curious (especially about flan, oatmeal, & walnuts).

by Anonymousreply 12509/15/2012

My family is upper middle class, but my mom hates to cook. One of her standards for dinner when I was young: frozen breakfast sausages, minute rice, and applesauce.

These days, she utilizes a personal chef who goes by the name of Trader Joe.

by Anonymousreply 12609/15/2012

We sat down to dinner once and had no bread. So mother served cake!

by Anonymousreply 12709/15/2012

Bunsteads -- tuna melts topped with sweet pickle relish, broiled in tinfoil in hotdog buns. oH BABY!

by Anonymousreply 12809/15/2012

I used to love ice cream floats made with vanilla ice cream and Big Red soda.

by Anonymousreply 12909/15/2012

Appetizers and Beverages Your white trash party guests may come to the party with an empty stomach. Fill their bellies with some snacks, including pork rinds and greasy potato chips. Try making redneck nachos by gathering some tortilla chips and drizzling them with shredded cheddar cheese. Place the plate in the microwave for a minute or so until all the cheese melts. In terms of beverages, your older party guests can enjoy some whiskey mixed with juice from canned concentrates. Or, simply serve up some of the least expensive beer you can find. For non-alcoholic drinkers, simply serve some sugary kids' drinks in plastic or foam cups. You can also try serving some sparkling apple cider and tell those who drink it that you call it the "poor man's champagne."

Dinner If you want to impress your trashy friends, serve them only the finest cuisine. Heat up some baked beans and then slice up some hot dogs and stir them in with the beans. Serve the hot mixture in baked bean cans. Or, have a redneck cookout by serving up some hamburgers and barbecue ribs along with corn on the cob. To make the event extra trashy, simply heat up some frozen dinners and hand the plastic trays to your guests when heated through. Try making some homemade chili with sides of cornbread and salt pork, if you want to add some Southern flare to your meal. You want the dinner to look somewhat cheap, but try your best to make it taste great.

Desserts In keeping with your white trash theme, you want your desserts to look cheap. You want to make desserts that leave out certain traditional ingredients in favor of cheaper food stuffs. For instance, instead of making a regular pie, ground up some graham crackers and place them on the bottom of a pie pan. Add on top of it some instant pudding. Place it in the refrigerator for an hour or two until it gets cold. The "pie" will hardly hold its position when you serve it, but that only lends itself to your party theme. For smaller desserts, give your party guests snack cakes bought from the store and serve them with the wrappers still on.

by Anonymousreply 13009/15/2012

Chipped beef was the dinner that always made me feel the most white trash as a child. Because it wasn't just white trash but also redneckish.

Another white trash dinner that I actually make myself as an adult is noodle casserole: egg noodles, Campbell's cream of chicken soup, canned chicken.

For dessert our white trashiest dinner was "Pink Salad." This consisted of red jello with green grapes and canned pineapple in it that had later been mixed with cool whip.

But Mom stopped making that about 10 years ago for the more sophisticated strawberry pretzel salad. It's basically a ghetto cheesecake but the most heavenly dessert imaginable to me. There's a crumbled up pretzel crust that is covered in salt and sugar and butter and baked. After it's done and cooled, you put cool whip and cream cheese on it. Then you pour strawberry jello with cut up strawberries in the jello mix on the top and put it in the fridge so the jello layer can set. Fucking phenomenal.

by Anonymousreply 13109/15/2012

Once or twice a month my mom made canned heat and serve sloppy Joes (no browning up a pound of ground beef necessary)that were a family kid pleasing dish. The top of the can had a round purple swirl stamped on it. My mother would usually prepare a batch of Miracle Whip based coleslaw to plop on top of the SJs or as a side. A box of Jay's Potato Chips and Dean's French Onion Dip sat on the table serving as the appetizer/centerpiece along with a pitcher of kool-aid or a can of Hi-C.

Graham cracker and Jiffy Frosting Mix sandwiches were a cheap and tasty treat to make. They tasted best the day after they were made as the frosting would soften up the graham crackers.

Some unappealing staple pantry items I remember were pinto beans, canned hominy, spinach, and green beans with kidney beans.

Squeeze Parkay sat in our harvest gold frige from the moment Kraft first introduced it.

by Anonymousreply 13209/15/2012

Corn meal mush for breakfast - mom would buy those fat tubes of corn meal mush (nowadays sold as 'polenta'), slice them into quarter-inch thick discs, dip each disc in flour, and then fry the discs in oil in a skillet or electric fry pan (turning once) until golden brown. Blazing hot to eat but delicious!

by Anonymousreply 13309/15/2012

I second the fried bologna. Delicious. And they have it in my local hospital cafeteria. More business for the cardiology department, I guess!

by Anonymousreply 13409/15/2012

Take a slice of white bread, cover it with cinammon sugar from a plastic sugar cinammon bear, add another piece of bread. Now smash together and fold it as many times as you can until you have cinammon sugar layer cake.

by Anonymousreply 13509/15/2012

2 packets Liption onion soup, 2 cups sour cream. Super strong. You will stink for two days but you will die happy.

by Anonymousreply 13609/15/2012

Two cans chef boyardee ravioli, four slices American cheese, microwave 4 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 13709/15/2012

1 package frozen French style green beans, boiled. Add I cup cream of chicken soup concentrate. Add 8 oz. French's fried onions. Stir.

by Anonymousreply 13809/15/2012

Oops, no I'm wrong. It wasn't cream of chicken, it cream of celery. Tastes better.

by Anonymousreply 13909/15/2012

But if it's not salty enough, add a little chicken bouillon.

by Anonymousreply 14009/15/2012

Faygo Creme Soda cannot be beat.

by Anonymousreply 14109/15/2012

Egg man!

by Anonymousreply 14209/15/2012

Underworld Deviled ham.

by Anonymousreply 14309/15/2012

1 bag frozen green peas

1 bag frozen spinach

1 can cream of mushroom soup

1 can tomato soup.

1 box stuffing mix

2 cans tuna fish

bacon grease to taste (no more than 1/2 cup.)

Place all in casserole dish in 350 deg. oven for 45 minutes.

When heated through, throw out and order pizza delivered.

by Anonymousreply 14409/15/2012

That's UNDERWOOD, R143

by Anonymousreply 14509/15/2012

My mom would slice hot dogs lengthwise, about three quarters of the way through and then fill them with mashed potatoes. She topped them off with a strip of Velveeta and then baked them until the hot dogs were cooked and the cheese was melted. Weird, I know, but tasty!

by Anonymousreply 14609/15/2012

English muffin pizzas with Ragu pizza sauce and velveeta melted cheez

by Anonymousreply 14709/15/2012

R1 doesn't want to use the term "white trash," but it's OK to call things "low class." Alrighty.

by Anonymousreply 14809/15/2012

I like fried bologna too, R134. But I've never heard of it being served outside of the home.

What part of the country is your local hospital in? And how does the cafeteria serve it (to be eaten with a fork as if it were actual meat, or as part of a hot sandwich, or ....)?

by Anonymousreply 14909/15/2012

Growing up, my mom's parents lived next door to us. There were many times I ate with them. They had a hard time during the depression, and managed to make due with very little. I heard stories of having butter beans and cornbread for all 3 meals when things were really bad.

Something they used to eat often, I still make: BBQ'd Spam. I use turkey Spam. You slice it thinly and put in a greased dish. Then you slice onions in a thin sliced mandolin, and chop them finely, and pour over the Spam. Then you pour over your custom made sauce,(I use BBQ sauce) and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Goes good with cheese grits.

by Anonymousreply 15009/16/2012

Everything I ate came out of a box that said "Swanson's" on it.

I used to eat bologna sandwiches with grape jelly. I retch just thinking about it.

by Anonymousreply 15109/16/2012

Fluffernutter sandwiches ( peanut butter + marshmallow Fluff)

Count Chocula, Boo Berry & Frankenberry cereal (and any other sugar laden crap)

Jim Dandy sundaes from Friendly's

My parents got divorced when I was 5. I pretty much got as much crap food and candy from my Dad as I wanted. He took us to amusement parks or the (movies if it was raining) or to a fair every weekend.

My poor mother. We must have been spinning out of control when dropped us off on Sunday nights.

And no, I'm not obese and yes, I have all my teeth.

by Anonymousreply 15209/16/2012

Peanut butter and butter sandwiches. My friend's dad used to make those for us. He was from Denmark so I imagine that was Danish white trash food.

Chicken and stuffing casserole. 1st layer is prepared stovetop stuffing. 2nd layer is shredded cooked chicken. Combine one can of cream of mushroom soup with 3/4 cup sour cream and 2 tbs. sherry. Mix and pour on top of casserole. Bake at 375 for about 20mins and serve with canned cranberry sauce.

by Anonymousreply 15309/16/2012

My neighbors had fried bologna alot and those pre-made meat pies (crust covered hamburgers) we didn't as Mom made most things from scratch, but she would fry up some SPAM sometimes. We had hamburger gravy over toast, made similar to sausage gravy, brown hamburger make 'milk' gravy out of drippings...yum... Mom would make that with chipped beef too. She would make: Roast beef hash out of leftover roast beef, fried potatoes and onions. Potato pancakes with leftover mashed potatoes with onions (fried) Salmon patties from canned salmon (fried) I don't consider any of that 'white trash cooking' however, We rarely got anything sweet, soda pop was out of the question. I would make a sugar sandwich (sprinkle sugar on white bread, fold in half and enjoy), also the original dipping sauce, Molasses, with white bread dipped in it.

Mom made a Tuna Noodle casserole alot with cream of mushroom soup and egg noodles, I hated that. She made fried liver and onions taste good, I have been afraid to try anyone elses. When Mom started working we thought TV dinners were a treat and also that canned chow mein.

by Anonymousreply 15409/29/2012

[quote]I don't consider any of that 'white trash cooking' however

But it is, Blanche, it is...

by Anonymousreply 15510/07/2012

I kinda like Underworld Deviled Ham better. Has nice satanic ring to it.

by Anonymousreply 15610/07/2012

Vienna sausages or sardines on saltines

by Anonymousreply 15712/26/2012

Look no further. Your White Trash food dreams are answered by the immortal Miss DeAundra Peak!

by Anonymousreply 15812/26/2012

squeeze cheese. Can't believe I used to eat that shit AND like it.

by Anonymousreply 15912/26/2012

Domestic caviar

by Anonymousreply 16012/26/2012
Need more help? Click Here.