Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

George McGovern's son dies at age 60, of alcoholism

His daughter, Terry, died of alcoholism in 1994 after falling into a snowbank and freezing to death.

by Anonymousreply 2311/18/2012

Sssshad, isssshn't it?

by Anonymousreply 109/11/2012

Knew a nurse a long time ago familiar with their daughter and she said the family was quite neglectful of her and the other kids. She felt the parents too busy with their own lives to be there for their kids.

Shame because I think the world of George McGovern. Maybe these things can't be helped but they can be mitigated.

by Anonymousreply 209/11/2012

R2 -- do you happen to know if the other kids have issues as well? I also like McGovern.

by Anonymousreply 309/11/2012

Both McGoverns seem(ed) like unusually nice people as compared to many politicians. I am sure they were very busy at the peaks of their powers, but I would hesitate to make judgements of neglect. I know many many people of my generation whose parents were absent from large parts of their lives or rather were sort of like distant managers. Mine were like that.

In any case I am sure it is a huge tragedy for their family. And I am sure the elder McGoverns did all they could in the last 20 years to help their son.

Alcoholism (and addiction) is a terrible thing.

by Anonymousreply 409/11/2012

R3, I only know the daughter had issues of some sort - maybe drug use. Obviously my friend was talking out of school and probably violating confidences - she didn't think much of the parents. Though she never really revealed anything about the daughter - I think she died some time ago. I seem to remember she died in the snow or something.

In the late 1970s, maybe early 1980s, I would see George coming in the back door to my condo building late at night. His secretary lived here. I'm sure they could have been working. Seriously I can envision that - I'm not being sarcastic either.

If one of a couple is going to pursue a serious political career than the other parent needs to be the more available parent. That's just a fact of life. Washington careers are grinding.

by Anonymousreply 509/11/2012

by Anonymousreply 609/11/2012

I think McGovern turned 90 this year and recently endorsed gay marriage.

by Anonymousreply 709/11/2012

He died of alcohol-induced dementia. Very sad.

by Anonymousreply 809/11/2012

I cast one of the 29,173,222 (according to Wikipedia) votes for McGovern in the hopeless Presidential election of 1972.

Then Watergate happened & we had our revenge on Aug 8, 1974, when Nixon announced that he would resign the Presidency on the following day. That afternoon, I was up in a tree picking peaches & took a break to watch his speech, after which I made a big peach pie to celebrate.

by Anonymousreply 909/11/2012

A family member cannot stop another family member from using drugs or alcohol. I know because my family is plagued with the demon. No matter what Mr. McGovern did or did not do to help his children, it was their responsibility to deal with the demon. It is truly a cunning, baffling and deadly disease.

by Anonymousreply 1011/18/2012

[quote] His daughter, Terry, died of alcoholism in 1994 after falling into a snowbank and freezing to death.

Good Tiiiiiimes!

by Anonymousreply 1111/18/2012

R2, R5, why are you spreading garbage about George McGovern and wife when it is based on hearsay from some mouthy sniveling 'friend' of yours who was probably just assuming causation of alcoholism and making up stories to feel important.

R2,R5, you are also following the same trap - repeating garbage stories to make yourself feel important.

You are disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 1211/18/2012

R10 is right. If someone is drinking because the family dynamics are not right, he is still drinking which only he can stop. Most people who have screwed up families don't become alcoholics. Those who do, a lot of them get straight.

McGovern said that he might have dealt with the issue with Eagleton differently except for the situation with his daughter. He went the extra mile with his v.p. pick out of empathy for people with mental problems.

by Anonymousreply 1311/18/2012

R12, two of his children died of drug abuse.

Figure it out

Would you be so angry if this was about the children of a Republican?

by Anonymousreply 1411/18/2012

While my heart goes out them, can we stop peddling the meme that alcoholism/addiction is a disease. Cancer is a disease. Alcoholism is always a choice, no matter how difficult. As a wise man once said, "You know how you stop drinking? YOU STOP DRINKING."

by Anonymousreply 1511/18/2012

R15 you are shockingly stupid. Alcoholism is a disease and that is a fact - it isn't a lack of willpower, a matter of choice or a moral failing.

by Anonymousreply 1611/18/2012

IIRC, McGovern's daughter's death helped spur Bill Moyer's "Portrait of Addiction" on PBS and the family helped out with the production somehow.

by Anonymousreply 1711/18/2012

I actually agree with R16. If you were abandoned on a desert island you could survive alcoholism while you probably couldn't survive cancer.

by Anonymousreply 1911/18/2012

If two children died of this condition, family dynamics are definitely involved. But no one could second guess from friends or neighbors or nurses the dynamics themselves. It would take exploration across immediate and extended family through at least these children's grandparents and possibly great grandparents. Absenteeism or politics alone by the parents would not be sufficient to explain this.

by Anonymousreply 2011/18/2012

Sorry I meant I agree with R15.

by Anonymousreply 2111/18/2012

I suspect genetics are at great play here.

by Anonymousreply 2211/18/2012

We Will Never Love This We Again

by Anonymousreply 2311/18/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!