Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

What are the best and worst islands to visit in the Caribbean for gays?

What is the basis for your opinion?

by Anonymousreply 7411/09/2013

All of them.

by Anonymousreply 109/11/2012

Jamaica is wonderful for you boys but you have to stay behind the fence and don't bite anyone. be nice gays!

by Anonymousreply 209/11/2012

I enjoyed Curacao and the Virgin Islands (British and American).

by Anonymousreply 309/11/2012

Will someone lick my hole

by Anonymousreply 409/11/2012

Best place: Bermuda (if that counts as the Caribbean)

Worst place: Jamaica

by Anonymousreply 509/11/2012

St. Barths is the most gay friendly, but also the most expensive. I also think Puerto Rico is also a safe bet. Start by avoiding those listed with legal penalties against homosexuality in the linked table on gay rights by country. (FYI: St. Barths is considered part of Guadeloupe administratively.)

by Anonymousreply 609/11/2012

Ironic that Noel Coward loved Jamaica so much and is buried there.

by Anonymousreply 709/11/2012

All. Degrees of Danger,

Jamaica is still number 1

by Anonymousreply 809/11/2012

St. Barths - the very best, no danger at all for a gay's like being in the very heart of the Marais, but with gorgeous beaches.

Jamaica - the very worst. Seriously dangerous even if you're straight and an "asking for trouble" destination from the minute you arrive if you're gay.

by Anonymousreply 909/11/2012

Thanks for the great responses.

R9, St. Barths is actually the place my boyfriend and I are considering the most. Your description was exactly our impression based on what we've read, so it's good to have it confirmed by someone who has been there.

Do you have any recommended hotels or restaurants there?

by Anonymousreply 1009/12/2012

So they aren't dangerous or hostile?

by Anonymousreply 1109/12/2012

I agree with R1. If you gringos want tropical, go to Hawai.

by Anonymousreply 1209/12/2012

This is R6 not R9. I spend a week in St. Barths about 7 years ago. I recommend renting a house for a week rather than taking a hotel room. There aren't many hotels there, and those that do exist tend to be pretty damn pricey. Depending on the season, the deals on houses were better.

If you do this, try to find a place that has air-conditioning throughout the entire house. Many homes note that the breezes can be strong enough to provide adequate cooling in living rooms that possess large French doors and ceiling fans. Be warned, however, that the mosquitoes can be ferocious and don't stay outside of open doors. Check out the different house rental webistes...vbro or st. barts villas, etc.

You will need to rent a car and need should get one with four wheel drive. The hills are steep and the roads can be twisty. Some decent restaurants. Explore the different beaches. It's a very small island, and there is not a lot to do except relax and hang at the beach or poolside. That said, it feels incredibly safe and clearly has less severe and obvious poverty than other islands. Oh...if you or your partner have major airplane anxiety, plan on wearing Depends when you land there because of the particularities of the very short and challenging runway.

Best to you.

by Anonymousreply 1309/13/2012

Which island was it where men aboard a gay cruise were arrested after locals onshore witnessed alleged gay sex between a committed couple? They were jailed and it was a real mess. Want to say it was Grenada?

by Anonymousreply 1409/13/2012

^ Dominica

by Anonymousreply 1509/13/2012

Hi R10 OP. This is R9 and glad to share my experience. I would agree with R13...the best way to enjoy St. Barths is with a villa rental. I've rented for more than 15 years from WIMCO ( and will post links to my favorite houses for you separately.

To me, the best location for a villa by far is the area known as Colombier. Close to town and with spectacular views.

If you decide to go with a hotel, I personally like the Eden Rock.

by Anonymousreply 1609/13/2012

R14, Dominica

by Anonymousreply 1709/13/2012

For R10

by Anonymousreply 1809/13/2012

Another for R10

by Anonymousreply 1909/13/2012

What about D.R.?

by Anonymousreply 2009/13/2012

Why not do an Atlantis cruise? Just limit the amount of fucking you do in public spaces.

by Anonymousreply 2109/13/2012

r20 Lots of very poor people in the Dominican Republic. If you are a sex tourist like Rush Limbaugh, you will probably enjoy it.

by Anonymousreply 2209/13/2012

by Anonymousreply 2309/13/2012

Any of Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao are fine.

by Anonymousreply 2409/13/2012

R14 it was Dominica. I was on said cruise. Dominica was actually my favorite island we visited and would love to go back. Lush and tropical like Hawaii but less developed and warm friendly people. In what country is it legal to have sex on an open balcony? As for best island for the gays I'd say Curacao or St. Barts. Worst I'd say Cuba. Fine if you stay at a tourist only hotel or remain in Havanna, but otherwise I just felt unsafe to be openly gay.

by Anonymousreply 2509/13/2012

by Anonymousreply 2609/13/2012

Jamaica hands down, the most dangerous.

Cuba is dangerous for all Americans, gay and straight alike. Non- Americans love Cuba and feel safe there.

by Anonymousreply 2709/13/2012

What about St. Lucia?

by Anonymousreply 2809/22/2012

[quote]Leave it to the Datalounge to pick the absolute whitest of the Caribbean islands.

We picked the least homophobic R29. YOU made it about race so I'll let you figure out the cause and the effect in operation here.

by Anonymousreply 3009/22/2012

St. Barth's is so ugly though...

by Anonymousreply 3109/22/2012

Jamaica is a absolute no for gays. Was there several years ago and did not feel safe. Heard many derogatory comments, some made directly to our faces.

We go to San Juan PR often and feel very comfortable there.

by Anonymousreply 3209/22/2012

St. Lucia is very gay friendly.

by Anonymousreply 3309/22/2012

I wonder why St. Lucia is gay friendly, R33, when it's a former British colony while other former British colonies are not. Is it because it was also a former French colony, or is there something more recent in its history that allowed for that?

by Anonymousreply 3409/22/2012

How about St Martin?

by Anonymousreply 3509/22/2012

Martinique, gay,gay,gay, very French

by Anonymousreply 3609/22/2012

R34 St. Lucia is quite an interesting little island. I think this has to do a lot with its French influences as you mentioned. I have visited the island and noticed many a gay old men.

The island is also very much into country and western music ( so weird)

by Anonymousreply 3709/22/2012

I thought Cuba was pretty good these days, also for gays? From wikipedia: "Despite elements of homophobia in Cuba's history, Havana now has a lively and vibrant gay scene."

by Anonymousreply 3809/22/2012

The French and Dutch islands are probably the most tolerant, particularly since so many of the Dutch islands became formal territories of the Netherlands when the Netherlands Antilles was dissolved in 2010.

The American territories are fine.

Spanish after that.

The British holdings are absolute no-nos, although Jamaica is the worst. If you're a tourist, you will not be welcomed, but it won't be exactly dangerous. For the locals, they've been known to have public murders of gay men while the police just sit there and do nothing. Do NOT spend your money there.

by Anonymousreply 3909/22/2012

What's going on sociologically/culturally that the British territories former holdings are the worst?

by Anonymousreply 4009/22/2012

With at least Jamaica, it's religion. It's not that they're overwhelming Christian, it's that the type of Christianity there is not mainline Protestant or Catholic, it's two different flavors of Pentacostal and Seventh-Day Adventist.

by Anonymousreply 4109/22/2012

Yes, definitely, Martinique needs to do some tourist-friendly construction on the waterfront. Same with Grenada and Antiqua, though these islands are beautiful once you get out of the port area.

by Anonymousreply 4209/22/2012

Forget the islands and come party in South Beach Miami...!

by Anonymousreply 4309/22/2012

St Barth's terrifying runway

by Anonymousreply 4409/22/2012

Taking off.

You would have to knock me out cold to get me on/off this island.

by Anonymousreply 4509/22/2012

Not Carribean, but is Hawaii safe?

by Anonymousreply 4609/22/2012

You don't fly into St. Barths. You fly into Philipsburg on the Dutch side of St. Maarten and take a ferry from Oyster Pond.

by Anonymousreply 4709/22/2012

Stay the hell away from Jamaica. Everyone needs to boycott that fucking shithole.

I grew up in a Toronto neighbourhood with a lot of Jamaicans. Jamaicans hate gay and lesbian people. HATE. They will even tell you to your face they hate you. The hatred is ingrained in them from childhood. I guess religion is partly to blame, but they also have that "macho" bullshit going on in their culture, like some Latin American and South American cultures.

So yeah, please boycott Jamaica.

P.S. Have you ever heard Jamaicans making that sucking sound through their teeth? You want to know what that means? It's their secret way of saying "Fuck you." Now you know.

by Anonymousreply 4809/22/2012

R48, please explain the sucking sound.

by Anonymousreply 4909/22/2012

R49, sucking sound.

by Anonymousreply 5009/22/2012

R50, not what I was looking for. Answer the question.

by Anonymousreply 5109/22/2012

They suck air through their teeth. If it's directed at a white person, it basically means "fuck you". It's used in other contexts, but if you're white and a Jamaican is doing it in your direction, he/she is telling you to go fuck yourself.

The guy in this video kind of does it, but his is a little "off". He's not doing it quite the right way. Warning: He's a total douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 5209/22/2012

More examples, R52(or others). I really don't understand this. What is the purpose of this gesture?

by Anonymousreply 5309/22/2012

R52, just Google it if you don't understand what I wrote. Link goes "Dictionary of Jamaican English" entry for "suck teeth".

by Anonymousreply 5409/22/2012

I love Cayman a d Bermuda

by Anonymousreply 5509/22/2012

Lots of people do that and it does not necessarily mean "fuck you." It could just be an expression of displeasure at any particular thing or situation.

by Anonymousreply 5609/22/2012

[quote]Lots of people do that and it does not necessarily mean "fuck you." It could just be an expression of displeasure at any particular thing or situation.

That's what I said. It is a bit different in meaning depending on the context and the person it is directed at.

But I guarantee you, if you're a white person and a Jamaican is doing this to you, and you're not his/her friend, it means "Fuck you."

by Anonymousreply 5809/22/2012

It's funny, all the comments about Jamaica. Nothing has changed since I was there in 1984 and vowed to never go back. Aggressive racism directed at whites. I sat in the lobby of the hotel and watched all the honeymooners coming back from their afternoon walks with horrified looks on their faces. The wives had to drag their husbands past the line of prostitutes leading up to the hotel. A cop busted me and the BF smoking weed on the beach and tried to scare the shit out of us. After some bargaining I ended up having to hand twenty bucks to a prostitute to get him to "drop the charges." Laying on the beach in a secluded spot, a large Jamaican guy with a machete walked by stabbing a coconut and saying, "I'm looking for some Americans." Haven't been back since. Went to Grenada last year. Poor country but the people seemed nicer.

by Anonymousreply 5909/22/2012

There are crowds on the docks of Grand Cayman Island ready to meet gay cruises.

by Anonymousreply 6009/22/2012

Jamaica is genuinely dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 6109/23/2012

"Jamaica is genuinely dangerous"

For everyone - not just the gays...

by Anonymousreply 6209/23/2012

St Barts is pretty unimpressive looking. It looks like Catalina Island.

by Anonymousreply 6309/23/2012

...but St Lucia looks like how a Caribbean island should look.

by Anonymousreply 6409/23/2012

R64, Caribbean islands should look like Madonna's tit cones?

by Anonymousreply 6509/23/2012

I'm going to St. Maarten and Turks & Caicos in Feb. Anyone ever been there?

by Anonymousreply 6609/23/2012

R59, I love Grenada. Been there many times. The people are nice. I've been to Jamaica once - stayed in a gated community. We had no bad experiences but we had been forewarned about the locals so we steered clear of them. In Grenada, we rent a Jeep and drive around the island, explore all the beaches, hike in the rain forest. Did not feel comfortable doing much exploring in Jamaica.

I've only been to St. Bart's once and it was on a Windjammer cruise so it was just a day on the beach. The beach was nice, though.

by Anonymousreply 6709/23/2012

As a St. Lucian I am glad to see positive comments about my island. It's not the greatest but it certainly isn't dangerous for gay people. I am in no way saying that you can walk in public like you can in San Francisco, but the people are respectful and genuinely friendly. The homophobia comes from the religious indoctrination. People always reference the Bible when they speak about homosexuality, so blame the Pope and pastors.

Yes, as a pun, people from "the country(side)" love country music back there. They dress up in their jeans, boots and cowboy hats and dance to Country & Western music (old time music like Patsy Cline, Conway Twitty, Kenny Rogers, et al.). It's very profitable to hold a Country&Western Dance over there.

That sucking teeth sound, we call it "choops" (a phonetic derivative, I guess) and it is generally made disparagingly, sarcastically or to express displeasure. I never knew it to be used against White people as a fuck you. I guess it's a Jamaican thing...

Back to the gays, we have a lot of open local gays who do receive some implicit ridicule, but it is not hostile or anything, sort of like how it is in the U.S. There is even this well-known queen who people expect every Carnival to wear the skimpiest outfits and shake his ass on the road. People shout his name and take photos of and with him. Below is a photo:

by Anonymousreply 6809/23/2012

I just found this article. It sounds like a very unusual occurence. Probably someone who knew them.

by Anonymousreply 6909/23/2012

Despite the reputation of the British Caribbean, we've always found Anguilla to be welcoming and have seen and met other gay couples there. Here is a link to a TripAdvisor forum discussion on the topic from a few years ago.

IMHO, Anguilla's beaches are prettier than those on St. Barts or Saint Martin. There's also fabulous food, including hydroponic greens. Less nightlife, but it's incredibly relaxing on Anguilla.

Among American Caribbean territories, the Puerto Rico out-island Culebra is beautiful and safe. Vieques is OK; a lot of gay men go there, but I found the military past and "Cancer Island" reputation both contribute to an odd, downbeat vibe.

by Anonymousreply 7009/23/2012

You couldn't give me a free, all expense paid vacation to Jamaica: once was enough, and I'm a Black woman.

They hate ALL Americans.

by Anonymousreply 7109/23/2012

How about Martinique?

by Anonymousreply 7209/24/2012

What about Puerto Rico?

by Anonymousreply 7311/09/2013

How about Fiji?

by Anonymousreply 7411/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!