Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

60 Minutes - Navy Seal Mark Owen interview

The more I find out about the mission to get Bin Laden, the more uninteresting it becomes.

Whatever mystique the Navy Seals had is greatly diminished by this guy, who seems like he just walked outof Home Depot on a Saturday morning.

Has anyone read the book yet? I hope it is better than this interview!

by Anonymousreply 6802/24/2013

Mark Owen/Matt Bissonnette is trash. At least he'll be the last special ops servicemember to cash in for a while.

by Anonymousreply 109/09/2012

[quote]Whatever mystique the Navy Seals had is greatly diminished by this guy, who seems like he just walked outof Home Depot on a Saturday morning.

That the magic of the military of a democracy. Imperial Forces learned the truth of this at a very high price.

by Anonymousreply 209/09/2012

Did he violate any oath he took?

Whether he did or not, no matter who the CinC is, he's disloyal partisan scum.

No I have not read his book, nor will I ever.

by Anonymousreply 309/09/2012

You do realize that he is in disguise with an altered voice, right?

by Anonymousreply 409/09/2012

Does he bash Obama and his administration?

by Anonymousreply 509/09/2012

How is he in disguise? I saw the interview and it didn't look like he was in disguise.

by Anonymousreply 609/09/2012

Yes, R4, which is why I never said he "looks" like he just walked out of a Home Depot, but instead specifically wrote "seems."

His demeanor and responses is the driver of the conversation.

That being said, after I posted I part of the problem is Scott Pelley - watching him interview anyone is like watching paint dry. He managed to turn one of the most potentially exciting interviews of the last few years into a lifeless hour of monotony.

by Anonymousreply 709/09/2012

just found this

by Anonymousreply 809/09/2012

It took 4 hours of makeup to disguise him, according to CBS. They made him look like a normal guy, just not him.

He said his book is apolitical.

by Anonymousreply 909/09/2012

Remember that old dude who was the navy seal on the first season of Survivor? I wonder what he would say about one of his own writing a book about a mission?

by Anonymousreply 1009/09/2012

That being said, after I posted I REALIZED the problem is Scott Pelley - watching him interview anyone is like watching paint dry.

by Anonymousreply 1109/09/2012

R6, none of what you are seeing is real. He's wearing a full mask, hair, etc. He's probably even wearing contacts.

The real guy looks nothing like that (not that I'd know what he really looks like, but I know incredible makeup). They got Hollywood makeup artists and it took them four hours each time he was interviewed.

by Anonymousreply 1209/09/2012

R5, apolitical. In fact, he said that it would be disgusting if either side of the aisle attempted to take advantage.

by Anonymousreply 1309/09/2012

You forced little Osama Jr. to identify the body. Is that when you erupted in cheers and joyous backslapping...?

Okay, you're photographing the corpse. Between shots I imagine there were riotous cheers and spontaneous backslapping...?

When you engaged the Taco Bell window employee did you exit your vehicle in a spasm of cheers and backslapping...?

by Anonymousreply 1409/09/2012

R13, what he means as since Obama was responsible, it would be disgusting for "either side" to take advantage. The only option is the Democrats taking credit, so he's being disingenuous. Bet you anything if McCain had been in charge he'd be singing a different tune.

by Anonymousreply 1509/09/2012

The guy was wearing a prosthetic nose, dark Bronzer, and fake teeth. His hair, eyebrows, and eyes were darkened too. They say he's completely unrecognizeable without the make-up!

They did a brilliant job, because you wouldn't think he was wearing a disguise.

by Anonymousreply 1609/09/2012

I know a Navy Seal personally. He is a total jerkoff who thinks he is God's gift to this earth. Treats his many women like they are beneath him (of course, too much of a coward to be honest with any of them) I have also met a few of his friends. They are all self absorbed ego maniacs who love to kill and they are devoid of emotion. yes, they put themselves on the line everyday, but I think it's more for personal satisfaction than love of country.

by Anonymousreply 1709/09/2012

Funny how a self-professed tough guy turns out to be a major pussy. If he were a man, he would've appeared as his normal fugly self.

by Anonymousreply 1809/09/2012

If this guy's book was like his interview - no thanks. "We waited. We went there. Then we went here. Then we went home. I had a taco." Spellbinding it was not.

by Anonymousreply 1909/09/2012

If he were a sole operative, he could choose to go without disguise. But he's not a lone assassin. It's like when Valerie Plame was outed. One of her concerns was that a single picture of her with an informant could put that person's life in danger.

by Anonymousreply 2009/09/2012

Lucy could fool Ricky with just a cute Italian-style wig! And it didn't take four hours to put on.

by Anonymousreply 2209/09/2012

That all sounds well and good, R20, but the asshole wasn't willing to share the profits from his book until he was outed by the media. If he wanted the story to be about his whole team, he would split every single cent with them.

by Anonymousreply 2309/09/2012

Not gonna buy his book either...and i agree, Scott Pelley is so ZZZZzzzz. I miss Mike Wallace!

by Anonymousreply 2409/09/2012

Stupid, the profits are going to charity.

by Anonymousreply 2509/09/2012

You guys are missing the point completely. Does it seem strange to you that someone who was party to a secret mission, wrote a book about it and this book actually got published? In addition to this, the guy is on national TV discussing what happened? Do you think that he's being "controversial"? Get real. This entire scenario has been created to get people to believe these things actually happened. Forgot about the fact that THEY NEVER SHOWED A BODY? They buried him "at sea". Yea right. They don't even try to hide their contempt for your stupidity. If the gov't didn't want the world to know any of this, the guy wouldn't never have gotten this book to the publisher much less actually published.

by Anonymousreply 2609/09/2012

Their is no conspiracy, the Navy Seals took Osama Bin Laden out.

by Anonymousreply 2709/09/2012

If you have lovely penmanship, you don't need some vulgar Halloween mask to throw people off once you've killed for all that is good about America!

by Anonymousreply 2809/09/2012

Ok sure.

by Anonymousreply 2909/09/2012

R26 scares me.

by Anonymousreply 3009/09/2012

i think they should have showed pictures of Osama (dead), they showed Sadam's pictures...

by Anonymousreply 3109/09/2012

[quote] I know a Navy Seal personally. He is a total jerkoff who thinks he is God's gift to this earth

Who cares? He can be as big an asshole as he wants. I sure don't have the guts to do what he does.

However, I do think it's wrong to write about these things. It's a good thing these ego maniacs weren't around during WWII- we'd have lost for sure. The secrets hey were able to keep is astounding. Always remember Loose Lips Sink Ships.

by Anonymousreply 3209/10/2012

[quote]Does it seem strange to you that someone who was party to a secret mission, wrote a book about it and this book actually got published?

Mark Owen: profit

Badley Manning: prison

by Anonymousreply 3309/10/2012

I guess I'm the only one who enjoyed the interview. I actually thought Bissonett came off pretty well. He's not brilliantly well spoken but he's not dumb by any means, and he's certainly brave. I agree with the assessment of Scott Pelley, though. He seems like kind of an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 3409/10/2012

[quote]However, I do think it's wrong to write about these things.

Why? This is history. Don't you think it's important to know the truth? I'm not saying the official version is false. I'm simply saying someone who was there has contradicted that official version.

[quote]It's a good thing these ego maniacs weren't around during WWII- we'd have lost for sure. The secrets hey were able to keep is astounding. Always remember Loose Lips Sink Ships.

Yes, loose lips sing ships...before the deed. This WAS a secret operation till they announced the death of OBL.

by Anonymousreply 3509/10/2012

I sing the body electric.

by Anonymousreply 3609/10/2012

The guy is a Republican redneck from Alaska who wrote the book not only to cash in but to make sure Obama doesn't get credit for the operation.

by Anonymousreply 3709/10/2012

Attention whores.

They didn't find him, they just went in to take him out. And there was enough incompetence during the mission to make a Keystone Kops movie. The military is the most "admired" thing in America, they say. It's because the public have no idea how they really behave. If they did, the starry eyed belief in their superiority would vanish in a puff of smoke. I believe there are any number of countries that could out maneuver our generals.

by Anonymousreply 3809/10/2012

Uninteresting? That's the most moronic comment. It was fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 3909/10/2012

They really did a good job with the makeup from the looks of him @R37's link, though the eyes might give him away because they're a bit large. Reminds me of the actor who played the Nazi in Inglorious Basterds - the one who kills Fassbender's character.

What is this bullshit claim that Obama's taking credit? We all know the Navy Seals went in, but we also know it was Obama who was the only one who talked about going into Pakistan, even as a candidate. The rest of them had no interest or claimed Pakistan was an ally. McCain, Hilary, etc all claimed he was naive for his stance.

Did this Seal have the same problem with Bush dressing up and swaggering onto a flight deck with a giant sign claiming "Mission Accomplished" when 4300 more soldier died after that ridiculous display?

What these guys do is brave, but that doesn't mean they aren't assholes who are wrong when it comes to their politics; they're entire purpose in life is killing. The only reason that they tend to support/vote for a party full of neo con chickenhawks who never served or dodged is because they know those cowards will send them to kill, regardless of whether it's right or wrong.

by Anonymousreply 4009/10/2012

The interview was riveting.

by Anonymousreply 4109/10/2012

Anyone who was in the military can tell you that most service members are either right-wing nutjobs, complete idiots, or both.

When I was in the Army (the most miserable time of my entire life), I often pondered if the incredibly lazy, incompetent, mostly illiterate and drug-ridden assholes that surrounded me were even capable of defending themselves, much less the U.S. of A. They were scarier than any enemy would have been.

I could tell you stories...and believe me, the guys who were in Vietnam could tell you even more.

The vast majority of people who go into the military are losers who have no place to go and nothing else to do. These folks are far from the "heroes" the propaganda machine makes them out to be.

And don't even get me started on the machinery of the military-industrial complex. Why do you think these planes, etc., fail so often? Why do you think the Pentagon is forced to buy equipment they don't even want?

Soldiers in these new "wars" (Vietnam and later) don't even benefit from all these high-tech weapons. There's a reason we didn't "win" in Vietnam or Afghanistan -- it's called guerrilla warfare; and fancy (and expensive) equipment can't stop people from defending their homes with their lives.

My point being, what do you expect from a Navy SEAL? Albert Einstein? Superman? James Bond?

by Anonymousreply 4209/10/2012

The book's sole purpose is to push the R-W thme of "Obama didn't get Bin Laden; the Navy SEALS did."

This guy wrote it himself? Yeah, him and the Man in the Moon. And isn't the disguise conveeeenient?

by Anonymousreply 4309/10/2012

Most of DL would be happier if the Navy Seal kept the line as Obama's mouthpiece, just like:

by Anonymousreply 4409/10/2012

Oh yes, the media is giving Obama all of the credit for getting Bin Laden, and the little bitches on the right think so, too.

Wonder if they were just as 'outraged' when this was the headline:

by Anonymousreply 4509/10/2012

Theres nothing these seals can say so Obama doesn't get credit. The prez made the call and he deserves credit. I don't think Barack is backing down on this one.

by Anonymousreply 4609/10/2012

Bingo! Great find!

Thanks, R45

by Anonymousreply 4709/10/2012

Just so I'm clear, because the rightwing is nothing if not "consistent": Had this mission failed, the Navy Seals would've been faulted... right, R44?

The fact that Obama did not choose to bomb the hell out of the place (where there was no guarantee he was even in that compound at that precise time) and would've ended in way more casualties, but chose this option instead, is not a factor at all? Right, R44?

You guys could not be more full of shit even if you got a colonic in reverse.

by Anonymousreply 4809/10/2012

The Navy Seal Foundation and The Tip of the Spear Foundation (military charities) have turned down proceeds from the book.

by Anonymousreply 4909/10/2012

I thought he came across as modest and matter-of-fact which is just what I'd expect from a Seal. However, I'm glad to hear that was a disguise. He looked like he'd had far too many tacos since his return.

by Anonymousreply 5009/10/2012

This is his disguise?

by Anonymousreply 5109/10/2012

Maybe he decided to write the book after all those SEAL Six guys were killed in that helicopter crash in Afghanistan.

by Anonymousreply 5209/10/2012

"Anyone who was in the military can tell you that most service members are either right-wing nutjobs, complete idiots, or both.

I've been in and I can tell you that's false.

by Anonymousreply 5309/10/2012

yes, R51.

by Anonymousreply 5409/10/2012

R42, I'm the Army. Shut the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 5509/10/2012

So it was a brilliant disguise...

by Anonymousreply 5609/10/2012

The military is merely a microcosm of society: Some good people, some bad people.

by Anonymousreply 5709/10/2012

He should have worn a George W Bush mask.

by Anonymousreply 5809/10/2012

What branch were you in, R53 -- the Coast Guard?

by Anonymousreply 5909/10/2012

My favorite part was the trailer for the Amazing Race. Looks like gay fans will have a lot to cheer about this cycle.

by Anonymousreply 6009/10/2012

Someone to please post full face foto of Matt so that I can compare to disguise

by Anonymousreply 6109/10/2012

Matt claims the book is supposed to be apolitical, yet he makes it a point of saying none of the guys wanted to do anything that would help Obama get reelected.

His frequent use of "you know" and inability to string together a coherent sentence proves that the co-writer is the sole writer.

by Anonymousreply 6209/10/2012

[quote]he makes it a point of saying none of the guys wanted to do anything that would help Obama get reelected.

Service personnel are publicly apolitical -- or once were supposed to be...

by Anonymousreply 6309/10/2012

This guy is an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 6409/10/2012

And a handsomely-paid one, too, I'd bet, r64.

by Anonymousreply 6509/11/2012

No the Army. Airborne/RIP. Which one were you in? The one where you wear camo mumus and green eye shadow? All though I often thought I would have loved the Coast Guard.

by Anonymousreply 6609/11/2012

Bin Laden has been dead for at least 10 years. This is just another hoax from our goverment. They will tell you ANYTHING to try to make you PATRIATIC ...DON'T BELEIVE THEM! It's all lies and all shadows! They are out to GET you! Wake UP America!!! DDE warned us about the military force in this country...and it's happening now! Arm yourselves and be aware..troubling times are coming! I wish I could help... but it's too late,,, An American!

by Anonymousreply 6702/24/2013

They did show photos of OBL's corpse, r31.

by Anonymousreply 6802/24/2013
Need more help? Click Here.