Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Scruff vs. Grindr

Is there a difference? Or is Scruff just essentially Grindr for bears?

by Anonymousreply 11006/13/2015

I think Scruff was originally intended to be a Grindr for the bear community but there is no difference between them now.

by Anonymousreply 109/09/2012

I've since deleted both apps, but it was frustrating to see the exact same guys on both.

by Anonymousreply 209/09/2012

Huge difference between them: Scruff lets you know who has been looking at your profile.

by Anonymousreply 409/09/2012

Scruff has a lot more functionality with the free version, and generally just works better, is more stable, and actually let's you know when you have messages. Grindr does a poor job of notifying you when you have messages. The guys are basically the same on both apps, but I think scruff is supposed to be more for guys who don't mind some facial hair... Not necessarily bears (that's what growlr is for.)

by Anonymousreply 509/09/2012

The bears seem to favor Growlr these days over Scruff.

by Anonymousreply 609/09/2012

I've had hotter hookups from Scruff than Grindr. And I agree it's a lot more stable than Grindr is and doesn't crash nearly as much.

Jack'd isn't too bad, and I've had some hot hookups from there too.

Unlike Grindr, Scruff and Jack'd also have better ways to filter your searches too.

by Anonymousreply 709/09/2012

Scruff's expensive if you actually want the app to do anything. Growlr also lets you see who's viewed you. You can also delete messages without having to open them if you don't like the guy's looks.

by Anonymousreply 809/09/2012

R2's is one of the funniest posts in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 909/09/2012

That's insane, r10. Grindr is syphillis and herpes, Scruff is crabs.

by Anonymousreply 1109/09/2012

Whatever happened to tea rooms and pickle parks?

by Anonymousreply 1209/09/2012

What site should you use if you actually want a date?

by Anonymousreply 1309/09/2012

None, R13. They're all hook up sites, now. Maybe Compatible Partners, but it's a bit of a pain.

by Anonymousreply 1409/09/2012

One thing better about Scruff: if you have it on an iPhone and iPad, they are linked up. Wth Grindr, if you write something on one device, it doesn't show up on the other device. Makes things confusing.

by Anonymousreply 1509/09/2012

If you want to date, go on the site and say in your profile, I'm looking to date. There are plenty of guys who say explicitly that they'd like to find someone to date. Some of them may be open to a hookup too, or they may be lying, but not all of them. Just go look and decide for yourself.

In general I'd say the guys on Scruff are much clearer and more open about what they want. (Also, Scruff skews older than Grindr.)

by Anonymousreply 1609/09/2012

I'm so glad I'm not single any more. Or should I say, I'm glad I'm in a monogamous relationship. I had to clarify that, because I'm tired of seeing my married facebook friend's continuous posts about himself and his new boyfriend (who is not his husband). Has he no shame?

by Anonymousreply 2009/10/2012

[quote]What site should you use if you actually want a date?

Church

by Anonymousreply 2109/10/2012

"more masculine". ugh. i flinch every time I see this sort of internally homophobic language.

by Anonymousreply 2209/10/2012

Does Scruff have a website, or can you only access it as an app on a device like an iPhone?

by Anonymousreply 2308/03/2013

[quote]There are a lot more real athletes, military, and bi dudes on Jack'd, which is what I seek.

Are you one of those self-loathers who posts for bi/married/str8 on CL?

by Anonymousreply 2508/03/2013

[quote]Scruff is app-only.

Oh thank god, I dreaded having to look at profiles on my giant 27 inch monitor.

by Anonymousreply 2608/03/2013

Scruff=Vile Grindr=Gross Both=STIs

by Anonymousreply 2708/03/2013

Scruff has the guys who don't take 4 showers every day.

Grindr has the guys who shriek if anyone over 23 sends them a message.

by Anonymousreply 2808/03/2013

All those apps are interchangeable nowadays. You just have to realize and acknowledge where you lie on the gay socio-attractive hierarchy. A vast majority (sorry - just being honest) are looking for those at the upper echelon of the totem pole - white,insanely fit, 24-37 with a professional job even though they themselves might not be so.

I, a mid 30's gym-going but average looking mixed minority (asian-latino) who has a job in a family business doing retail, know where I stand. I'm not bitter or anything, nor wishing that I be amongst those qualities that are aforementioned nor wishing that I attain one of those either. I'm just keenly aware of gaydom's culture.

by Anonymousreply 2908/03/2013

Growlr is Where it is At!

by Anonymousreply 3008/03/2013

R29 You sound nice and together. A real catch in my book.

by Anonymousreply 3108/03/2013

Catch as catch can

by Anonymousreply 3208/05/2013

Scruff skews somewhat older, hairier, more hipsterish. Profiles allow more textual info so you get a better sense of those who take the time to fill them out. The pool is fairly diverse and the vibe is more laid back.

Grindr skews younger and more "gay scene". Grindr also seems to have more closet cases/downlow, headless torsos or indecipherable profile photos. Less diversity and more of a "lets hookup right now" vibe.

by Anonymousreply 3308/05/2013

Which ones allow X-pics?

by Anonymousreply 3408/05/2013

Neither, R34, although you can trade any pics you want with individual people.

by Anonymousreply 3508/05/2013

Scruff used to be for more bearish types, but now most the boys on Grindr have migrated over to Scruff. Maybe they think it makes them look more butch? I don't know. As a bear, I've moved to Growlr and made the most connections ever (and yes, my profile says I'm there for dates). Vive la difference!

by Anonymousreply 3608/05/2013

Growlr is for the bears

by Anonymousreply 3708/05/2013

Scruff was never for bears, it was for men with facial and/or body hair. Growlr is for bears. The two groups overlap but they are nowhere near synonymous. Plenty of hairy otters are not bears, plenty of fat or beefy guys are not hairy. Lots of bearded twinks and hipsters on Scruff would never ever be described as "bears".

by Anonymousreply 3808/05/2013

r19 bi dudes are only the popular preference of other bi dudes (read: guys with girlfriends/wifes).

by Anonymousreply 3908/05/2013

Scruff is available on Lumia phones (WP8), unlike Grindr.

Scruff has better interactions... letting you know who viewed your profile, and letting you "woof" at people.

by Anonymousreply 4008/05/2013

Scruff isn't available on older iPhones. In my city, Grindr is now almost entirely 18 year-olds and non-English speakers.

by Anonymousreply 4108/05/2013

Grindr has been abandoned for the other apps in my town: scruff, Growlr, Mister, hornet

by Anonymousreply 4208/05/2013

Rumor has it grindr is going to make you register so they can weed out the bots

by Anonymousreply 4308/05/2013

scruff gets me laid. grindr, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 4408/05/2013

R43, that's good, they really have it bad.

by Anonymousreply 4508/05/2013

Anyone know if its worth paying for the extra features on Jack'd? I would like to be able to look at profiles anonymously on occasion, and I was wondering if that feature actually works. Thanks

by Anonymousreply 4608/07/2013

Paying for something tha tis usually free is silly

by Anonymousreply 4708/07/2013

On Scruff you can search profiles that are not near you. You can search by city or zip code.

On Grindr, you can only look at the profiles that are in close proximity to you. I like this better, more privacy. I don't want people from all over the world to be able to see my profile.

by Anonymousreply 4908/11/2013

[quote]Huge difference between them: Scruff lets you know who has been looking at your profile.

This is what led to the downfall of Friendster and why Facebook has vowed to NEVER let people see who has viewed their profile. It would turn everyone into neurotics and trying to create fake accounts just for browsing.

by Anonymousreply 5008/11/2013

Scruff, you are a bottom

Grindr, you are a top

by Anonymousreply 5208/11/2013

Why do they all have silly names?

What if a gay guy wants to hook up with a woman? Where would one they go for that?

by Anonymousreply 5308/11/2013

Slap'd is a good one too

by Anonymousreply 5508/11/2013

Jack'd has TONS of young black guys. If that's your scene

by Anonymousreply 5608/15/2013

R53, there's no such thing as a gay guy who wants to hook up with a woman, just as there's no such thing as a straight guy who wants to hook up with another guy.

The term you're looking for is "bisexual".

by Anonymousreply 5708/15/2013

What about squirt.org? Works pretty well for me.

by Anonymousreply 5808/15/2013

R16= queen of self de-nile!

by Anonymousreply 5908/15/2013

I had a lot of luck with Grindr when it first came out, but I generally do better on Scruff these days. As others have said, it skews older. Twinks looking for daddies use it, as well as daddies looking for daddies. So whatever I'm in the mood for, it works out.

by Anonymousreply 6008/15/2013

Before any of these apps existed, there was WhosHere. Not specifically a gay-oriented app, but you could specify your own gender and filter by the gender of choice, so it worked just as well. I met a ton of guys on WhosHere (well, a ton by the standards of the early days of the App Store).

It still exists but is almost entirely populated by guys in the Middle East spoofing their location. It's the Friendster or MySpace of hookup apps.

by Anonymousreply 6108/15/2013

WhoresHere - I remember that

by Anonymousreply 6208/15/2013

[R43] — actually it's true:

by Anonymousreply 6308/15/2013

Yup.

by Anonymousreply 6408/15/2013

What do bots do on Grindr? Spam users?

by Anonymousreply 6508/15/2013

Read the article, R65.

They link other users to supposed video-chat sites that are just a front for gathering credit card info.

by Anonymousreply 6608/15/2013

Thanks, r66.

by Anonymousreply 6708/15/2013

[quote] Or is Scruff just essentially Grindr for bears?

Nope. Growlr is for bears.

by Anonymousreply 6808/15/2013

Who cares? They're both for whores, darlin'.

by Anonymousreply 6908/15/2013

I hadn't heard of Growlr, just signed up, it's an interesting mix, at least for my area.

by Anonymousreply 7008/15/2013

I use Growlr mainly.

by Anonymousreply 7108/15/2013

I'm loving the new lesbian hook-up app Muffstr.

It has a new feature where you can 'honk your U-Haul truck horn' at people.

by Anonymousreply 7208/16/2013

Cute

by Anonymousreply 7308/16/2013

Growlr is good to find bears and chasers, but the app itself isn't nearly as good as Scruff's or Mister's (search feature is bugged and can't be saved, won't work on iPad / no iPad version.)

Hopefully that will be fixed in the months ahead.

by Anonymousreply 7408/16/2013

I hope so too, it's the type that I prefer

by Anonymousreply 7508/20/2013

The men on Growlr are more or less bearish depending on one's location. In some places it's mostly great big large men, in others those same men are in the minority; in some places it's bears and cubs and otters and all their lingo, in others the men are much less concerned about "bear culture."

by Anonymousreply 7608/21/2013

Scruffy types make me hard

by Anonymousreply 7708/21/2013

These apps are all really just digital gay bars. Only difference is there's nothing to drink.

by Anonymousreply 7808/21/2013

Right on point r78! Mad props to the real gay bars that still do enough business to at least break even.

by Anonymousreply 7908/21/2013

LOL @ r72

by Anonymousreply 8008/23/2013

Hello guys. I have a question. If I don't have a scruff profile I can still browse. When I check out profiles, do they get a notification? Like unknown user, area ... Thanks

by Anonymousreply 8108/26/2013

I don't know if it's a problem across the board, but on my Android phone they crash each other. If I have Scruff in the background and start Grindr, I get a pop-up saying that Scruff has stopped working, and vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 8412/28/2013

I haven't tried scruff but I have tried:

Grindr: The App doesn't stay running in the background. Yet is the most fun. Jackd: The opposite! Won't let me close the damn app nor does it even show up in the running apps list (grounds for immediate removal) Hornet: Worked pretty good when first installed back in early 2013 but now it does not work even after update. Or maybe it does work but nobody ever sends me a message.

I've had the best luck with Grindr. The most users. Unfortunately it does appear to be mostly extremely desperate bottoms and children who want to promote their social media like instagram and get more followers.

I get such a kick out of those. Some 18-21 year old will send me a message. I'll look at their profile and it will be covered in links to their social media with tons of cockteasing pictures. So I reply back "are you horny" and I get a reply like "yes" or "a little" and then I bombard them with "ok it says you're a bottom and I'm a top so lets get together!"

Then silence.

"are you still there?"

"hi"

"hi lolz"

"still horny? I am so horny!"

They annoy the shit out of me. The headless horsemen annoy the shit out of me. The messages in spanish annoy the shit out of me.

JAck'd doesn't seem to have that problem but it does have a lot of the same people. More people looking for dates than just hookups. It's a shame that the app won't give me the option to close it.

Something that I do really enjoy doing with the apps is going to a gay bar and opening up grindr and jack'd and finding people who are literally in the same bar. Grindr is the best for that because it measures the distance in feet and not miles.

by Anonymousreply 8509/27/2014

IS there an app where a big fat ass guy with a giant cock can fuck hot muscular guys?

by Anonymousreply 8609/27/2014

R85 is a sex addict

R86 - only if rentboy.com has an app

by Anonymousreply 8709/27/2014

LOL. Mean! True tho... Sometimes I think that the guys who are successful on these kind of sites are the lucky ones and end up happier in the long run... Food for thought I'll put on the back burner while I find my next ego boost from 1s and 0s. Here's a thought, what if sleazy motels and I don't bookstores had to coordinate meetings? Then everyone can just have all the same STDs, no one will commit to anyone else and will be one big mindless joke till we wake up at 60 or older with nothing worth anything to remember about our lives. Just came here cuz I was googling "free scruff activation code"... Sigh.

Technology is my (our) downfall, and yet I saturate myself in it, learn it, crave it, and make my living helping fix it when it breaks.

by Anonymousreply 8811/09/2014

EDIT: those who are NOT successful are the lucky ones...

by Anonymousreply 8911/09/2014

You're all whores.

by Anonymousreply 9011/09/2014

I posted r85. and I have since tried scruff and jack'd. I must say I prefer both of those over hornet and grindr. But I regret to inform you that I am about to uninstall all of the apps because they're all a waste of time.

The week before last I had some cop try to lure me to a prostitution sting operation in a hotel from Jack'd. There are no gay men in their 30's where I live and whenever one pops up they're usually smokin' hot and have the same interests. I message them and they message back and I get all excited then.... then they mention they are passing through and going back home to NYC or Miami in a couple of days at which point I throw every object I can reach that isn't nailed down and throw it at the wall. I can't take any more of that heartbreak and I'm tired of wasting time sexting with twinks who just want to promote their goddamn instagram like I give two fucks about that. So annyways, back to the drawing board.

by Anonymousreply 9111/09/2014

I would be afraid to meet anyone from either app. Those apps are infected with people with STDs, insanity, criminal pasts, and all manner of creepiness.

by Anonymousreply 9211/09/2014

Do people use grindr just for gym hookups?

by Anonymousreply 9311/29/2014

[quote]IS there an app where a big fat ass guy with a giant cock can fuck hot muscular guys?

Fantasizr.

by Anonymousreply 9411/29/2014

Does Scruff still key you see who's been looking at your profile ?

by Anonymousreply 9511/29/2014

Here's the irony - I am 51 and a bear. I get hit on more on Grindr by young guys, than I do on Mister. In fact, I never find sex on Mister.

by Anonymousreply 9611/29/2014

In Australia, I find Grindr to be full of hairless torsos, and judgmental twinks. Where with Scruff the guys seem more down to earth and real.

by Anonymousreply 9711/29/2014

Scruff is even more revolting and STD-infested than Grindr. And that's saying a lot dude.

by Anonymousreply 9801/19/2015

[quote]What if a gay guy wants to hook up with a woman?

Vag'd

by Anonymousreply 9901/19/2015

What is a preferable app for trannys? Is there such a thing?

by Anonymousreply 10005/14/2015

This seems to be the meth thread.

by Anonymousreply 10105/14/2015

Helas Im 50 and too old to know what its like to be young hot and getting my sex through smart phone localised hookups. When I was young and hot all we had were bars and clubs in NYC. All the sex venues were shuttered cause of AIDS. Then in my late 20s early 30s the backrooms happened and a few sex clubs. The sex clubs were FUN! Still no technology. Then came internet based hook ups. I was still hot and enjoyed that a for awhile. Sometime after 40 the interest wanes. I guess I was 45 or so when I tried Grindr and had a few hookups but bloom is off this rose, its really not my time to experience what might be good about this way of getting sex. All told, this old would say the best way was the face-to-face fully clothed in bars and clubs. Maybe it was because I was young that it was the best but I think not. I have plenty of young friends and they all used the smart phone apps and internet apps and most complain about them and most of them have pretty WEAK game when it comes to face to face seduction. I think tech has produced a de-evolution in sexual mores.

by Anonymousreply 10205/14/2015

Actually met my boyfriend on 'Scruff'. Was suppose to be just a one time thing, but then became serious. Also, neither of us has any STD's, so not sure why are people saying it's 'STD infested'. I guess if you don't take a chance you'll just end up with nothing anyway.

by Anonymousreply 10306/09/2015

Scruff has a Windows Phone app that is pretty great and regularly updated.

Grinder isn't available on Windows Phone.

IF you're not going to make your app available on all platforms, who cares? You're not worth my time.

by Anonymousreply 10406/09/2015

Who the heck uses Windows-based phones ?

by Anonymousreply 10506/09/2015

Lots of people in lots of countries. It's ahead of iPhones in many countries. It may only be 3% of smartphone users in the US, but that's still millions.

by Anonymousreply 10606/09/2015

I live in the middle of red state nowhere so I would imagine all of those apps would be useless here.

by Anonymousreply 10706/12/2015

You'd be surprised, R107.

by Anonymousreply 10806/12/2015

Scruff is really stupid to show people who looked at your profile. For this reason, I don't click on ANY profiles even if I want to look at them. It makes the site unusable. Friendster used to do this and look what happened to them. Facebook's policy is that it doesn't show people who looked at their profile and they skyrocketed.

by Anonymousreply 10906/13/2015

I like Blued.

by Anonymousreply 11006/13/2015
Need more help? Click Here.