Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

When will the gays embrace Lana Del Rey?

She was just named GQ's woman of the year.

How have the gays missed this one? Her look is complete lady camp and her husky playful voice is serviceable over moody retro 60s femme fatale tracks.

by Anonymousreply 9808/19/2014

No one really cares about Lana. We should, instead, embrace Adele.

by Anonymousreply 109/08/2012

I agree with r1. Adele is the real deal.

by Anonymousreply 209/08/2012

She is an engineered act - not much authentic about the creation.

by Anonymousreply 409/08/2012

Adele is a natural talent.

Lana had a rich daddy who bought her a career. She's basically a product of studio wizardry and stylists, like 99% of current pop acts. Her SNL appearance exposed her for being talentless.

by Anonymousreply 509/08/2012

I give Lana Del Rey's stylist points for reviving backcombing, but unfortunately her hair is the most interesting thing about Lana.

by Anonymousreply 609/08/2012

She's inauthentic.

by Anonymousreply 709/08/2012

My guess that she will be acknowledged with a number of Grammy noms, which will in turn re-ignite American interest in her. She should get a Best New Artist nom, as well as one for her "Blue Jeans" video.

Having said that, the next album's performance is crucial for her, as well as for her new pal, Lady Gaga. The camera shutter window for fame closes faste than ever in the twitter era. Here today, gone this second.

by Anonymousreply 809/08/2012

Her moment has passed. She won't tour, so that severely limits her shelf life.

by Anonymousreply 909/09/2012

The latest I heard, Lana has been having dinner meetings with Harvey Weinstein about writing films. (Bet she had to blow him like Gwynnie.) She's on a track like Drew Barrymore and Gwyneth - wealth and connections leading to a Hollywood career.

by Anonymousreply 1009/09/2012

when she's good

by Anonymousreply 1109/09/2012

The gays want their icons to suffer for their fame. This bitch got handed her career by her rich daddy.

by Anonymousreply 1209/09/2012

I like how in Britain we just focus on the music and understand that pop is a manufactured confection.

by Anonymousreply 1309/09/2012

Her music and voice are both awful. Her face is fucked up via plastic surgery. And she's one of those rich people who can't transcend her wealth and privilege in order to become a true artist.

by Anonymousreply 1409/09/2012

She is heinous as evidenced by her very dead, soul-less eyes.

by Anonymousreply 1509/09/2012

I'm just not interested in Lana. She's too contrived.

No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 1609/09/2012

I thought she was amazing on Saturday Night Live.

by Anonymousreply 1709/09/2012

Video Games is still one of the best songs in ages. The album not so much. And the Del Rey bag by Mulberry is fab.

by Anonymousreply 1809/09/2012

She belongs with Lena Dunham on the list of manufactured hype foisted upon everyone by publicity teams.

by Anonymousreply 1909/09/2012

I disagree. Her music is terrific; she's a co-songwriter and not just a voice. Besides, her voice is terrific. I really like the album.

Pitting one female singer against another, as though there's only one place for a woman in an industry, is sexist and ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 2009/09/2012

When will the gays embrace Lana Del Rey?

When she develops some talent.

by Anonymousreply 2109/09/2012

I cannot listen to her because she can't sing. She does not have a good voice, not even a good 'quirky' voice. It's just a bad voice.

by Anonymousreply 2209/09/2012

[quote]The gays want their icons to suffer for their fame. This bitch got handed her career by her rich daddy.

Whad you, whad you tawking abououout?

by Anonymousreply 2309/09/2012

No, we won't, OP. She sucks, and she's dating Axl Rose.

by Anonymousreply 2509/09/2012

Since her daddy bought her career and now learning she is dating Axl Rose, I am ashamed to admit that like Radio Games. oh well.

by Anonymousreply 2609/09/2012

Anyone who saw her horrific performance on SNL last year knows she has no voice, no talent, no chance.

by Anonymousreply 2709/09/2012

She has about as much soul as a Big Mac.

by Anonymousreply 2809/09/2012

[quote]I like how in Britain we just focus on the music and understand that pop is a manufactured confection.

Eh, that's fine. But her music is awful, and she always looks like she just whiffed a fart.

by Anonymousreply 2909/09/2012

She's awfully boring, agreed. And I also agree that I love Adele.

by Anonymousreply 3009/09/2012

Cat Power!!

by Anonymousreply 3109/09/2012

Wow, I find these responses quite refreshing given how much the under 25 crowd worships her as some breath of fresh air in the music industry. I'll admit I like some of her music, reminds me of Felt Mountain era Goldfrapp, but the contrived image and packaging of her whole act like she were some barbie doll is just too off putting. It seems Interscope has developed some new meme/internet guerrilla style marketing where they try to push an artist who hasn't paid their dues and create some aura of performance credit (Lady Gaga and her downtown clubs, Lana Del Rey and the Brooklyn scene, now Azealia Banks). It's not to say these women aren't talented but there's something to their marketing that asks the buyer to focus on prepackaged aesthetics over music.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't compare Adele and Lana except that its common knowledge the success of 21 is what made the head honchos at Interscope even consider backing Lana, much like Lily Allen and Katy Perry.

by Anonymousreply 3209/09/2012

R32 is nowhere near as smart as she thinks she is.

by Anonymousreply 3309/09/2012

I will embrace Lana Del Rey when she learns to sing.

Or as a friend of mine said after hearing this Boy George version of "Video Games":

"I finally figured out that the reason I don't like Lana Del Rey is Lana Del Ray."

by Anonymousreply 3409/09/2012

R33, I agree. R32 is smoking crack. Not only do Adele and Lana Del Rey have nothing in common but as someone who likes both Lana Del Rey's record and Goldfrapp's Felt Mountain (and other releases) they sound absolutely nothing alike.

The character of Lana Del Rey is a pretty good invention; she's that over-heated, over-sexed suburban teenage Lolita whose mind is a product of disposable American pop culture and consumerism who equates success with fame and probably daydreams about pursuing it for it's own sake. She fucks all the boys - the only power she has - and probably believes she loves them all intensely, especially when they're fucking her. She pits her suitors against each other, unknowingly, to heighten her own satisfaction and has just enough self-awareness to understand the cards she's been dealt in this culture. Will she ever break out of her entrapment? Perhaps not and her knowledge of this is what fills her with a sense of doom and an immediate pursuit of pleasure that she cannot deny herself.

Why don't the American gays like Lana Del Rey? Probably because they're more shallow that she is.

by Anonymousreply 3509/09/2012

Does she have a hand in writing her songs? I actually really like her album mostly due to the lyrics in the songs. I don't think most people on here have actually listened to the album and just going by what they think is on there. Image aside, the music and the words really stand up.

by Anonymousreply 3609/09/2012

that's absolutely absurd, r35. if anything, people who would fall for such a talentless, fabricated mess of a performer are the shallow ones.

by Anonymousreply 3709/09/2012

I couldn't have said it better r35. She is a construct, a performance piece and she boldly embraces her role. Good for her.

by Anonymousreply 3809/09/2012

The NME has a few choice words about her latest attempts at "edginess"

by Anonymousreply 3909/09/2012

To clarify, my comparison between BTD and Felt Mountain wasn't so much about their sound rather than their affect (60's/moody, cinematic score) and reception in the mainstream. I guess I was approaching the comparison more from a marketing stand point, same with the Adele comparison. You see, that's how label heads think - when a certain tempo/production style/aesthetic becomes popular labels are in a mad dash to copy the formula.

I have to agree with R36 and R37, the fact that as a culture we've delved into judging a musician by their ability to step into the shoes of the 'construct' their AR teams have developed for them and not their music is why I find Lana so underwhelming. People are waking up to fake buzz artists like Lana; she would have done better to have kept doing small venue performances and built real musical skills rather than chopping up her face and signing with interscope.

I'm not trying to be 'smart' (I actually laughed at that comment), if anything I'm just spewing out a bunch of psuedo disconnected thoughts trying to piece together why I feel Lana hasn't caught fire like her team wants her to.

by Anonymousreply 4009/09/2012

R40, you really have no idea how the music business works.

by Anonymousreply 4109/09/2012

R40, that was the dullest post on record. I'm actually angry at myself for reading the whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 4209/09/2012

I really like Lana. There is something about her voice that captivates me. I like her whole retro look as well. I don't know much about her as a person, but I remember reading that she lived in a trailer park, (and she said that's why she couldn't have afforded plastic surgery). Or am I wrong?

I really don't get the hype about Adele. When I listen to her songs it sounds like she isn't hitting the notes porperly.

by Anonymousreply 4309/09/2012

She's a phony.

by Anonymousreply 4409/09/2012

Well you know you are doing something interesting if David Lynch embraces you.

by Anonymousreply 4510/06/2012

well put R35

by Anonymousreply 4610/06/2012

When she learns how to sing by perhaps taking some lessons

by Anonymousreply 4710/06/2012

Totally fake and forced on us. There is nothing in her dead eyes and trout lips for us.

by Anonymousreply 4810/06/2012

She's the most awful thing that ever happened to the music scene.

by Anonymousreply 4903/19/2013

Eyes are the mirror of the soul. Her dead eyes remind me of that quote from Election: "You might think it upset me that Paul Metzler had decided to run against me, but nothing could be further from the truth. He was no competition for me, it was like apples and oranges. I had to work a little harder, that's all. You see, I believe in the voters. They understand that elections aren't just popularity contests. They know this country was built by people just like me who work very hard and don't have everything handed to them on a silver spoon. Not like some rich kids who everybody likes because their fathers own Metzler Cement and give them trucks on their 16th birthday and throw them big parties all the time. No, they don't ever have to work for anything. They think they can just, all of a sudden, one day out of the blue, waltz right in with no qualifications whatsoever and try to take away what other people have worked for VERY, VERY hard for their entire lives! No, didn't bother me at all!"

by Anonymousreply 5003/19/2013

Her music bores me, her voice is ver annoing, she tries too hard, she should go away.

Please Lana go away

by Anonymousreply 5103/19/2013

I really love four of her songs. They make me shiver. If she was focused on singing songs like that, she would be a fuckin' star.

by Anonymousreply 5206/01/2013

Her career was tanked when she did SNL without being known. If she had come on and killed it she would be a superstar but instead everyone was asking "who is she fucking?"

by Anonymousreply 5306/01/2013

I hadn't thought about her at all until someone restarted this year olf thread.

by Anonymousreply 5406/01/2013

You are all ignorant and slow.

by Anonymousreply 5506/01/2013

You are shallow and trivial people. It's frustrating. You send threads with bare asses and penises and you have no idea about soul searching. You deserve your doom.

by Anonymousreply 5606/01/2013

R41 and R42 are acting like stupid bullies.

I love some of her songs. I listen to them constantly.

She can’t sing live, though.

by Anonymousreply 5706/01/2013

Not as slow as you, R55, failing to tell us the NAMES of the four songs you really love.

by Anonymousreply 5806/01/2013

r57 which makes her no different than those other plastic enhanced manufactured non-singing live popstars like Beyonce, Katy Perry, Rihanna and the like that are being forced upon us.

by Anonymousreply 5906/01/2013

Lol R58, alright i will tell, if that really matters to you.

Born to Die (It's incredibly beautiful. The title may be pompous for some people, but the song is really awesome and soulful. It can give chills)

Dark Paradise(Demo Version)

Hollywood's Dead

Guys, don't judge Lana by her looks. It's unfair.

by Anonymousreply 6006/02/2013

I wonder why Adele is more popular than Lana Del Rey. The only song that i like from Adele is Skyfall , all the rest end up really boring and whiny in a annoying way.

by Anonymousreply 6106/02/2013

R56 = 24-year-old art chick grad student who wears dorky hats and thinks she's "edgy," who will also be embarrassed in 20 years that she ever liked Lana Del Rey.

by Anonymousreply 6206/02/2013

R62, you are insane...

by Anonymousreply 6306/03/2013

R62 is 100% correct. You Lana fans will be cringing at yourselves in a few years for liking her shitty "music". Bitch is the biggest poseur out there.

by Anonymousreply 6406/03/2013

I miss Roisin Murphy...

by Anonymousreply 6506/03/2013

r35, that was far too astute an analysis to be wasted on an internet message board. That was the most intelligent take on Lana I've ever read and makes perfect sense.

by Anonymousreply 6606/03/2013

I agree she is fake, but fake or not, Video Games is one utterly gorgeous and compelling track, beautifully odd, sparse and mysterious retro coolness. I think she fluked the song, but nonetheless it as awesome song.

by Anonymousreply 6806/03/2013

R68, i totally agree with you. Video Games is a very beautiful song.

by Anonymousreply 6906/03/2013

OP, you really are into archaic stereotypes, dude.

by Anonymousreply 7006/03/2013

It's official: The gays LOVE her. And she loves them! Lana is the real deal. Watch any video on YouTube of her interacting with her fans and it's obvious.

by Anonymousreply 7109/08/2013

I like most of her stuff. Sure she's manufactured - show me a pop star who isn't. No, she can't sing live, but I only care about the studio versions anyway. I'm not a rabid fan - I just appreciate the fact that she's doing something a little different, and she seems like a genuinely nice person even if she did get famous on daddy's dime.

You can keep Adele. Her music is the epitome of boredom. I'd rather have Amy Winehouse back.

by Anonymousreply 7209/08/2013

LDR is a complete poser.

by Anonymousreply 7309/08/2013

She's talent-free with a rich father and a good publicist.

Still a nothing.

by Anonymousreply 7409/08/2013

How can ANYONE like this talentless bitch? HORRIBLE voice. She sounds bad enough on the studio versions but live she is a joke. I can't believe gays have such bad taste. Stan for talented singers at least, phags. Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 7509/08/2013

Hater on line 75!

by Anonymousreply 7609/08/2013

I love her to the end of time.

by Anonymousreply 7709/08/2013

Being a technically good singer doesn't mean much in the pop world. Lana was influenced by Nancy Sinatra, who was no diva but her records are still wonderfully fun to listen to, 40 years on. Celine Dion is technically a good singer, so they say, but I'd rather put icepicks through my eardrums than listen to her rubbish "music."

With Lana, it's about the material and a particular atmosphere rather than her vocal abilities. Katy Perry, Britney, and Madonna can't sing, either, and their music is flavor-of-the-month stuff written by committee. Gaga can sing, but she spends more energy ripping off Leigh Bowery, Bowie and Klaus Nomi than writing decent songs. They are ALL manufactured.

by Anonymousreply 7809/08/2013

I don't know how I ever lived without LDR in my life. It's like I'm alive for the first I'd been in a coma all those years & didn't even know it. She makes me feel alive.

by Anonymousreply 7909/08/2013

cannot tolerate her at all.

by Anonymousreply 8009/08/2013

I hate that it's become "normal" now in the music business for talentless non-singers to succeed. Lana sucks big time. Nancy Sinatra did too.

It's pathetic how so much of the public would rather listen to these ear-sores than people who can hold notes.

by Anonymousreply 8109/08/2013

Shes dreadful

by Anonymousreply 8209/08/2013

You cannot tell me this song doesn't give you an eargasm...

by Anonymousreply 8309/08/2013

Ugh, I tried to listen to Video Games just now... that voice is AWFUL! And her face is hideous.

by Anonymousreply 8409/08/2013

If they haven't, they won't.

by Anonymousreply 8509/08/2013

[quote]Video Games is still one of the best songs in ages. The album not so much. [I]And the Del Rey bag by Mulberry is fab[/I].

by Anonymousreply 8609/08/2013

[quote]I don't know how I ever lived without LDR in my life. It's like I'm alive for the first I'd been in a coma all those years & didn't even know it. She makes me feel alive.

It's usually more the opposite.

by Anonymousreply 8709/08/2013

Live for her...thanks

Gods and monsters

by Anonymousreply 8809/08/2013

Guilty of liking 'Summertime Sadness'.

by Anonymousreply 8909/08/2013

Lana Del Rey is an offense to music. She's as horrible as Shitney Spears and Ke$ha.

by Anonymousreply 9009/08/2013

I don't think I have an answer for this question but I do know that she is flawless and so beautiful I want to be her almost everyday! Wether or not her daddy bought it for her she can sing! I maybe wrong but some gays do already embrace her and say she is their "queen". You should not hate on her but just simply answer the question asked.

by Anonymousreply 9108/19/2014

That croaking of "Once Upon a Dream" at the end of [italic]Maleficent[/italic] was perfect for that film: a terrible performance to end a terrible movie. Tchaikovsky must be pirouetting in his grave.

by Anonymousreply 9208/19/2014

[quote]When will the gays embrace Lana Del Rey?

The worshipping straight-female shit is so dated. It's time to start "embracing" openly gay entertainers now.

Besides, she seems like a bitch and her music sucks.

by Anonymousreply 9308/19/2014

[quote]Adele is a fat slag.

Who can sing her big fat ass off!

by Anonymousreply 9408/19/2014

[quote]It's time to start "embracing" openly gay entertainers now.

I get to do it every night. Jealous?

by Anonymousreply 9508/19/2014

[quote]How have the gays missed this one?

The gays didn't miss anything.

There have been several threads on DL

We noticed her and gave her a big "Meh"

by Anonymousreply 9608/19/2014

this bitch CANNOT sing! she's another rich girl poser trying to be hipster.

Nose job, auto-tune, embedded voice in catchy dance tracks...every damn trick in the book to sell her shitty music and off-key voice. That's why her live performances all suck-she's devoid of talent.

by Anonymousreply 9708/19/2014

[quote]this bitch CANNOT sing! she's another rich girl poser trying to be hipster.

She's the female version of James Franco (who she's good friends with).

by Anonymousreply 9808/19/2014
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!