Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Barbra Streisand in THE GUILT TRIP

Will this make oscar number three?

by Anonymousreply 9412/12/2012

Barbra is wonderful in it! Even non-superfans (the people I could listen to around me) loved her performance. She is funny and warm and open and acts her ass off. But it’s all very natural and organic and believeable. She tears up and is so heartwarming—but she brings the fire in one scene where she tells off her son–and got a round of applause from the audience! Seth is good too, but his tender scenes were a little stiff, IMO. Still I think the film really works. As of now it runs about one hour and 45 minutes, but really doesn’t feel too long at all. I never read the script that was online, so I have no idea what was cut or added, but everything flowed as it should. There are tons and tons and tons of close-ups of Barbra, and she really is the star. She is in every scene. I think the music and soundtrack needs to be improved though, because there are times when the under-scoring or a song could realy heighten the drama–and it just isn’t there.

I have no idea whether people will see this or not, and I think it’ll be a tough sell to anyone under 30. There were a lot of younger people at this screening, and I think they enjoyed themselves, but getting them out of their houses to see this in a theatre and pay for it will be another thing. Hopefully Barbra will do some promotion for it. I mean she is one of the Exec Producers–and if she wants to make MORE films (and get them financed)–she’s gotta prove she’s still a box office draw.

by Anonymousreply 109/08/2012

She's a has been.

by Anonymousreply 209/08/2012

No trailer yet?

by Anonymousreply 309/08/2012

Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 409/08/2012

I can't wait to see it. An acquaintance of mine saw a screening of it several months ago and said it's very funny and very good.

by Anonymousreply 509/09/2012

"Will this make oscar number three?"

No.

by Anonymousreply 609/09/2012

Barbra has been on a guilt trip since the 1970s.

by Anonymousreply 709/09/2012

third?! WTF!? since when do we count Best Song in the totals!?

by Anonymousreply 809/09/2012

I heard that its her best performance in years, I am so looking forward to seeing it.

by Anonymousreply 909/09/2012

Given her last lead role was in The Mirror Has Two Faces 16 years ago, I'm assuming your referencing her brilliant turns in those Focker films, R9.

by Anonymousreply 1009/09/2012

how dare you attack M r11!!! A plague on your house!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1209/09/2012

No. Since we all hate her.

by Anonymousreply 1309/09/2012

The M routine is the tiredest one on DL.

by Anonymousreply 1409/09/2012

please kill yourself then r14 so you will no longer have to endure it. JUMP!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1509/09/2012

Avigdor, wait!

by Anonymousreply 1609/09/2012

Yentl knows Talmud?!?!?

by Anonymousreply 1709/09/2012

Nothing is IMPOSSIBLE!

by Anonymousreply 1809/09/2012

What is the logline?

by Anonymousreply 1909/09/2012

"Seth Rogen travelled the country with nothing but an old bag. This is his story."

by Anonymousreply 2009/09/2012

I always thought the surprise losses for Nick Nolte and Lauren Bacall in Striesand's films were slaps to Barbra also....Yes Barbra we hate you that much!!!

by Anonymousreply 2109/09/2012

Why was Bacall considered a sure thing? The Mirror Has Two Faces was so slight in so many ways. It's not like Bacall was on the level of Dukakis in Moonstruck.

Was it just because she was making a 'comeback'? She's done better work elsewhere, namely Dogville.

I love Barbra's overwrought soft-focus and her beige colour schemes for her movies. They're strangely comforting. Makes me want to put on a Donna Karan caftan and sit in a breeze.

by Anonymousreply 2209/09/2012

I think Bacall was considered a sure bet because of her legendary status as part of Bogey and Bacall. I remember at the time not really understanding what the fuss was about since the performance was slight...even kind of bland in a role that a good comedian could have knocked out of the park BUT it was a big shock. I remember reading predictions saying she was a lock and lots of fuss in the press.

by Anonymousreply 2309/09/2012

I love Barbra but TMHTF is a mess. Bacall is good in the movie's best scene when you guessed it tells Barbra she is pretty...

Remember when the winner sweet Juliette Binoche said Lauren deserved it...

by Anonymousreply 2409/09/2012

I remember some people thought Bacall was muttering something obscene when Binoche singled her out....but she really was just saying thank you...Bacall's son is so mad though.

by Anonymousreply 2509/09/2012

Wasn't The English Patient a bit of a phenomenon at the time? It seemed like a precursor to the hype that surrounded Titanic.

Binoche seems to keep busy but she should really have a way more high profile career. Wonderful actress.

by Anonymousreply 2609/09/2012

Who is Barbara Hershey's date? He's a hotty!! (or was in 1996.)

by Anonymousreply 2709/09/2012

[quote]Wasn't The English Patient a bit of a phenomenon at the time? It seemed like a precursor to the hype that surrounded Titanic.

Only among critics and Oscar voters...it never really caught on with the public to the extent as Titanic

(and Elaine on Seinfeld hated it!!!)

by Anonymousreply 2809/09/2012

Didn't see the clip but didnt Barbra have a long term relationship with that dark handsome guy from Lost ?

Lauren Bacall's son wanted to leave that second..

Lauren did receive an Oscar not broadcast...

by Anonymousreply 2909/09/2012

I'm sure Juliette is the Meryl of France. Not all actors want to star in hokey Hollywood movies.

by Anonymousreply 3009/09/2012

The natural way of things on the DL. Everything can be brought back to Meryl.

by Anonymousreply 3109/09/2012

juliette binoche was wonderful, but she should have been in the best actress category. her role was a leading role, not a supporting one. and bacall should have won best supporting actress.

by Anonymousreply 3309/09/2012

Seth Rogan should play Tulsa in GYPSY.

by Anonymousreply 3409/09/2012

[quote]Didn't see the clip but didnt Barbra have a long term relationship with that dark handsome guy from Lost ?

Yes, she lad a long relationship with Naveen Andrews who cheated on her and had a baby with the girlfriend. Barbara's date was her son Tom Carradine, named Free at birth that he changed.

by Anonymousreply 3509/09/2012

[quote]Why was Bacall considered a sure thing? The Mirror Has Two Faces was so slight in so many ways. It's not like Bacall was on the level of Dukakis in Moonstruck.

The old sentimental Lifetime Achievement Award by proxy. Like George Burns in "The Sunshine Boys", Don Ameche In "Cocoon", or even Alan Arkin in "Little Miss Sunshine" who did absolutely nothing to warrant an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 3609/11/2012

I can't think of one woman they gave a sentimental Oscar to. Fred Astaire and Mickey Rooney were denied....

by Anonymousreply 3709/11/2012

Elizabeth Taylor won an undeserved Oscar for Butterfield 8 simply because she'd had a health scare the year before.

by Anonymousreply 3809/11/2012

Binoche really deserved that Oscar. And she's had an awesome career, having been in great films like Blue, Cache, Code Unknown, Certified Copy and Summer Hours. I doubt she wishes she had more Hollywood films under her belt.

by Anonymousreply 3909/11/2012

I saw Butterfield 8 recently and thought Liz was great. Who gave the better performance?

by Anonymousreply 4009/13/2012

[quote] Elizabeth Taylor won an undeserved Oscar for Butterfield 8 simply because she'd had a health scare the year before.

As Shirley MacLaine groused at the time, "I lost to a tracheotomy."

by Anonymousreply 4109/13/2012

Actually, Deborah Kerr in The Sundowners was thought to be front-runner in 1960. not MacLaine. And if they were going to do something off-beat, Melina Mercouri was the hot ticket.

MacLaine and Taylor were about equal in what they did with their particular roles that year. And Greer Garson was nominated for being Greer Garson and playing a beloved old political icon.

by Anonymousreply 4209/13/2012

[quote] I can't think of one woman they gave a sentimental Oscar to.

Jessica Tandy for that maudlin piece of crap Driving Miss Daisy.

Marlee Matlin for Children of a Lesser God.

Katharine Hepburn for that maudlin piece of crap On Golden Pond.

by Anonymousreply 4309/13/2012

[quote] can't think of one woman they gave a sentimental Oscar to.

Katharine in Guess Who's Coming To Dinner

Helen Hayes in Airport

Ingrid Bergman Murder on the Orient Express

Octavia Spencer for white guilt

by Anonymousreply 4409/13/2012

I think a sentimental Oscar is given to someone who HASN'T won before and I LOVED Octavia in The Help...

by Anonymousreply 4509/13/2012

So at least 2 of Katharine's Oscars were for sentimental reasons?

Click click INDEED.

by Anonymousreply 4609/15/2012

Looks hilarious. Can't wait!

by Anonymousreply 4711/27/2012

Why would the Academy vote for Octavia out of "white guilt"? Enough actors of color have won Oscars over the last several years that I don't think anyone has to still feel any sort of guilt (plus to say that discredits the legitimacy of any win other than those of white performers, many of whom, it could be argued, were very undeserving for a variety of reasons).

And speaking of wins based purely on sentimental reasons, I submit Geraldine Page's victory for that cinematic sleeping pill, "The Trip to Bountiful."

by Anonymousreply 4811/27/2012

Another sentimental Oscar: Geraldine Page for "The Trip To Bountiful" instead of Whoopi Goldberg.

The Color Purple hasn't aged well overall, and I've come to hate Whoopi as a media figure, but there's no denying her performance in it was for the ages.

by Anonymousreply 4911/27/2012

Page is wonderful in Trip to Bountiful.

I like Hepburn but I wonder why they gave her more than one Oscar, considering that she was playing slight variations of the same type almost every time. "Crotchety old bag" in both Dinner and Golden Pond. I prefer her doing something a bit different, like evil in Suddenly Last Summer and a believable romantic figure in Summertime.

by Anonymousreply 5011/27/2012

Barbra was first offered the lead roles in Klute, Julia, Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Cabaret, Chicago, and The Exorcist.

It's safe to say that if Barbra had taken those roles, she'd have more Oscars today than anyone in history, including Hepburn and Streep.

by Anonymousreply 5111/27/2012

Cabaret?! As who, Marisa Berenson's character?!

by Anonymousreply 5211/27/2012

Liza was offered the role in Cabaret after Barbra turned it down first.

by Anonymousreply 5311/27/2012

The stereotypically Jewish Barbara Streisand as Sally Bowles?!

by Anonymousreply 5411/27/2012

I don't get it. Why would anybody HATE!, Barbra? They say: " I HATE HER!!" Why? What has she ever done to deserve your hatred? Such a strong word. Maybe you don't like how she sings, or how she acts, or directs, or what she wears, or any number of things. One might dislike all that. But to HATE her, seems a bit extreme to me. .. It's like the Netrebko queens who HATE Callas. THEY HATE HER!!! Speaks volumes. Pathetic volumes...

by Anonymousreply 5511/27/2012

Oscar? This isn't that kind of movie.

by Anonymousreply 5611/27/2012

Geraldine Page is magnificent in The Trip To Bountiful. If you are unable to appreciate her performance, the problem lies with you, not with her.

Yes, believe it or not Barbra was offered the film version of Cabaret. In the late sixties and all through the seventies, Barbra was offered nearly every major film role for an actress, whether she was right for it or not. The one role she wanted desperately and didn't get was Sophie's Choice. I wish she had done Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, They Shoot Horses, Don't They and Julia. I think she'd have been great in all three.

by Anonymousreply 5711/27/2012

Wrong. Lucille Ball was offered Sophie's Choice, but her husband talked her out of it. He said her fans would never accept Lucy as Sophie.

by Anonymousreply 5811/27/2012

You all so totally need therapy for your mommy issues. Misogyny is the root cause of homophobia. Deal with it.

by Anonymousreply 5911/27/2012

Wasn't Barbra also meant to star in The Eyes of Laura Mars? God that film is shit.

by Anonymousreply 6011/28/2012

All Oscar wins are sentimental wins.

Geraldine Page in TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL? OMG, her performance is EXHAUSTING. She fills EVERY MOMENT. There is not a single moment she doesn't fill with business or pre-occupation or some "internal object." She needs to calm the fuck down. I mean, she's dead, so it's too late now. But still.

by Anonymousreply 6111/28/2012

[quote]Barbra was first offered the lead roles in Klute, Julia, Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Cabaret, Chicago, and The Exorcist.

No she wasn't. Maybe her name was thrown around since she was a huge star at the time, but no. She would have been seriously miscast and godawful in just about every one of these parts.

Audrey Hepburn was the first choice for The Exorcist but wanted to shoot the film in Italy. Anne Bancroft signed on but got pregnant and had to leave production.

by Anonymousreply 6211/28/2012

Got news for you R62- she is still a huge star. Her tour sold out and practicaally every major recording artist and actor and actress in Hollywood went to see her. Why? I'll let you try to figure that one out. (Has something to do with talent.)

by Anonymousreply 6311/28/2012

Hopefully this will do a little better than "Parental Guidance." That's my reasonable goal for this movie.

by Anonymousreply 6411/28/2012

POST FOR JUDY GARLAND BITCHES.

by Anonymousreply 6511/28/2012

[quote]I don't get it. Why would anybody HATE!, Barbra? They say: " I HATE HER!!" Why? What has she ever done to deserve your hatred?

You could ask the same question of the people who say they love her.

by Anonymousreply 6611/28/2012

[quote]Will this make oscar number three?

No.

by Anonymousreply 6711/28/2012

BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITCHES POST FOR JUDY GARLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND

by Anonymousreply 6811/28/2012

I have no desire to see this film. Why would I want to pay and waste 2 hours of my life to watch on screen what I can experience for free in real life?

by Anonymousreply 6911/28/2012

Got news for you R63, she hasn't been a film star since the 70's. Here's some more news that might surprise you; Ellen Burstyn and Jane Fonda are better actresses then Barbra Steisand. A little more news that might shock you, sometimes, some people are wrong for certain parts, as Streisand would have been for every one of those roles.

by Anonymousreply 7011/28/2012

She can still sell out concerts but then she definitely is ONE of the great voices of postWWII pop culture so why would that change. She has taken care of her voice. As an actress --very limited. She has not been a box office star in many a year.

by Anonymousreply 7211/28/2012

R62, Barbra was offered those roles, and she recently talked about turning them down in Harper's Bazaar magazine. She said that she jokingly told Fonda, "You owe your career to me." As do Ellen Burstyn and Liza Minnelli.

You may not think she was right for those parts, but she was the #1 female box-office star of the 70s, as well as the #1 recording artist.

by Anonymousreply 7511/28/2012

[quote]You may not think she was right for those parts, but she was the #1 female box-office star of the 70s, as well as the #1 recording artist.

You post the same message on every thread. She would have been laughable as Chris MacNeil who was modeled after Shirley MacLaine. Ellen Burstyn found Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore among a pile of scripts her agent sent over. Warner's agreed to make it and Burstyn was the one who got Scorsese to direct it. Cy Feuer cast Liza Minnelli as Sally in early 1970, Streisand was never in any kind of contention.

by Anonymousreply 7611/28/2012

Liza did have to fight for the role (she wanted it for the stage production as well), but I really can't imagine anyone thinking Streisand would have been a good idea.

by Anonymousreply 7711/28/2012

Saw the film at an early pre-screening.

Guys, if Father of the Bride is the quintessential father/daughter movie, The Guilt Trip is the quintessential mother/son movie. The trailer bills it as a silly comedy like Bridesmaids, and while it is hilarious, there is a lot of emotion in it.

I tell people you'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll eat.

by Anonymousreply 7812/04/2012

"You post the same message on every thread."

I'm not R75 but he/she is right.

Box office clout means a lot in Hollywood. Why do you think she got HELLO DOLLY?

Being right for the role doesn't count for much in terms of the big studios. Unless you have a director/producer willing to go to bat for you, they're going to consider the biggest names before anyone else.

by Anonymousreply 7912/04/2012

Who is the idiot on this thread who keeps blabbing that Streisand would have been terrible in all those roles and that she was NEVER offered them? You're incredibly stupid. Whether she was offered the parts or not is not a matter of contention. It is documented in many biographies and by her own words that she was offered all those parts. Whether or not she would have been good in the roles is a matter of opinion. If you think she would have been terrible, fine, that's your opinion. But we don't need to hear it 500 times in one thread. Shut the fuck up already.

by Anonymousreply 8012/04/2012

Oh, sure. Right after they give the Lifetime Achievement Award to Mamie Van Doren.

by Anonymousreply 8112/04/2012

Will Barbra make an effort in the film or just sit there like a bloated yenta thinking about how much she'll earn?

BARBRA AT THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL! 3 songs then a half hour break, another song,,, bring out a trumpet player.....

by Anonymousreply 8212/04/2012

[quote]She would have been seriously miscast and godawful in just about every one of these parts

And Jane Fonda was perfectly cast as the blonde shiksa goddess Lillian "I'm Lying As Fast as I Can" Hellman.

by Anonymousreply 8312/04/2012

Footage from her most recent concert tour, actually shows her having FUN. I've been waiting for her to finally get a sense of humor about herself. It was nice to see her loosen up, if even only a bit.

by Anonymousreply 8412/04/2012

[quote] I've been waiting for her to finally get a sense of humor about herself.

umm she's Jewish....

by Anonymousreply 8512/04/2012

You forgot Evita, r51.

And she would have been horribly and offensively miscast.

by Anonymousreply 8612/04/2012

[quote] The one role she wanted desperately and didn't get was Sophie's Choice

Ridiculous. The fact that Sophie is Catholic and not Jewish is rather a huge, huge plot point in the novel a me the film. No way Streisand was ever considered for such a role.

by Anonymousreply 8712/04/2012

OSCAR??? LOL!!!

by Anonymousreply 8812/04/2012

[quote]The one role she wanted desperately and didn't get was Sophie's Choice

plus it wouldn't be much of a choice for a Jewish woman...oy vey...leave my son...TAKE THE GIRL

by Anonymousreply 8912/04/2012

Dr. Phil called The Guilt Trip an "instant classic" on his show yesterday. Apparently the movie is a real crowd-pleaser.

by Anonymousreply 9012/11/2012

R72- the first Focker movie was her most succe$$ful movie to date. She and Hoffman made small fortunes. Do you think it was a success because of Hoffman, Stiller, or DeNiro, or Danner- it was a piece of shit, but Streisand was funny and she remains a draw.

She will not win an Oscar for this one or even be nominated- but it may be succe$$ful and it may get good reviews as well.

by Anonymousreply 9112/11/2012

R86, Evita was too close to home for Babs (egomanical diva conquers a country), and she was too self-obsessed to consider what a good role it was and how good some of the music was. Yentl was going to be better (LOL).

She didn't turn down Evita because it was never offered to her. If it had been, they would have waited until after Yentl. Streisand still had a singing voice then.

by Anonymousreply 9212/11/2012

Still no reviews anywhere? Are they holding them until after the release.....not a good sign.

by Anonymousreply 9312/11/2012

ALW wanted Streisand to premiere "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" like she did "Memory" and the Sunset Boulevard songs. She said "no thanks" because she didn't want to sing a song about a fascist.

by Anonymousreply 9412/12/2012
Need more help? Click Here.