Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hollywood Doom Book?

Did this really exist? If so, where is the list of 117 names?

[quote]The Doom Book was a list of 117 names created in the 1930s by United States censor Will Hays. The list included actors, actresses, directors, and others in the film industry whose private lives were "contrary to public morals" and who as a result should not be employed by Hollywood studios. Inclusion on the list in the 1930s and 1940s was guaranteed to kill a person's film career: it meant instant unemployment and destroyed any possibility of working in the industry in the future. Homosexuality was one of the main reasons for inclusion in the Doom Book.

It's mentioned on the Wikipedia page for William Haines (they claim he was on it and it ended his career), and I've seen it mentioned in passing a few times, but surely if it existed we would all know the 117 names by heart at this point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 6, 2014 11:01 PM

That explains Helen Lawson.

by Anonymousreply 1September 7, 2012 10:59 PM

If they updated the list I knw for a fact Dakota Fanning would have been on the list by the time she was 10.

by Anonymousreply 2September 8, 2012 12:40 AM

Bullshit, OP. Hays was a near-insider quasi-shill, and hardly the type who would have stood up to the studios and attempted to affront them, and humiliate individual players about their private lives. The Hays Office did its work through films, not through FBI-type investigations.

There is plenty of documentation on Billy Haines and his career. Look it up. None of it involves sinister forces, at least those outside the horrible double standard of the studios and society at large for the times.

by Anonymousreply 3September 8, 2012 3:47 AM

Hays did his work through the US Catholic Conference of Bishops. He had real power.

by Anonymousreply 4September 8, 2012 4:11 AM

Before Hays made the Hays Code official in the early 1930s, and took all the fun out of films, he did censure actors for their personal lives.

by Anonymousreply 5September 8, 2012 7:12 AM

That's so funny r1. You have a wonderful sense of humor. I hope you'll continue to post as Helen Lawson on a regular basis.

by Anonymousreply 6September 8, 2012 2:55 PM

And you contributed absolutely nothing to the thread, R6, except the little-dog-turd that is the signature of all your posts.

by Anonymousreply 7September 8, 2012 7:11 PM

What's the matter with Helen?

by Anonymousreply 8September 8, 2012 7:19 PM

I really do feel like Hayes' code changed the course of history - has anyone really written anything extensive on this? I watch pre-code movies and it seems surreal, how racy and sexual they were, because I've been taught my entire life that things weren't like that back then, which of course is nonsense but the way movies have formed our understanding of history and of the world and the way the denial of darker elements for so long cemented these ideas into entire generations heads - I think it's why we've got the sort of nonsense spewed by the Republicans, this idyllic moral Leave it to beaver world that was never a real thing but because of censorship we've been conditioned to think it really did.

by Anonymousreply 9September 8, 2012 7:25 PM

TCB

Typical Gay Bullshit

No such book. If so? Produce the list, you can't. TCB

by Anonymousreply 10July 6, 2014 9:31 PM

"Hays was a near-insider quasi-shill, and hardly the type who would have stood up to the studios and attempted to affront them, and humiliate individual players about their private lives."

I doubt Hayes was forcing the studios to fire anyone. It's more likely that he presented the studio heads with a list of people most likely to cause an embarrassing scandal, at a time when the studios were anxious to avoid bad publicity. The studio heads were heartless bastards one and all, who considered all of their employees to be expendable to a greater or lesser degree, of course they'd fire and blackball good workers just because a shit like Hays said they were gay!

A valuable moneymaking employee like Billy Haines got a chance to avoid that fate, he was told to get married or get out. To his eternal credit, he chose love over money, but most of Hays's victims didn't get a choice.

by Anonymousreply 11July 6, 2014 11:01 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!