Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mary Tyler Moore is a libertarian

From another thread someone wrote

[quote] Anybody with a shred of human decency and American patriotism couldn't possibly vote for the vile, morally bankrupt Republican candidates.

In Parade magazine Mary Tyler Moore said was a fan of Fox News and (gasp) Bill O’Reilly.

[quote] I do watch a lot of Fox News. I like Charles Krauthammer and Bill O’Reilly.” Is Mary Tyler Moore a right-winger? “Maybe more of a libertarian centrist. If McCain had asked me to campaign for him, I would have.”

And according to Ed Asner, she is a fan of Sarah Palin.

So do we hate her now?

by Anonymousreply 134August 8, 2013 10:39 PM

Sorry forgot the link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1September 6, 2012 3:04 PM

"She's changed," said Asner, "She's a Republican."

"Last time I saw her, she said Sarah Palin was a great lady."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2September 6, 2012 3:07 PM

This makes me so sad.

by Anonymousreply 3September 6, 2012 3:11 PM

She's a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 4September 6, 2012 3:11 PM

Mary's had a weird life, and it's genuinely been harder than many other celebrities of her stature. She lost her only son (perhaps to suicide--no one will ever be sure), she's tried to be rail thin her entire life and has had all sorts of eating disorders, plus she's had diabetes for most of her adult life. Plus since she was mostly a TV icon the world has sort of passed her by, even though once she was probably the most beloved single star in the whole country.

So I'm saddened but not surprised she's become a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 5September 6, 2012 3:13 PM

I don't care if she's Republican. I still love her two sitcoms.

by Anonymousreply 6September 6, 2012 4:03 PM

Why is anyone surprised? She is much closer in real life to her role in Ordinary People than to the MTM show.

by Anonymousreply 7September 6, 2012 4:10 PM

What a bunch of fools on that Free Republic site.

by Anonymousreply 8September 6, 2012 4:14 PM

I had forgotten about ordinary people ... She is that character...dreadful woman.

by Anonymousreply 9September 6, 2012 4:16 PM

Mary Tyler Mo(o)ron!

by Anonymousreply 10September 6, 2012 4:17 PM

Yes, I hate her now. For being an ignorant idiot, siding with hateful bigots.

by Anonymousreply 11September 6, 2012 4:17 PM

I still love Mare.

by Anonymousreply 12September 6, 2012 4:26 PM

If it's true that she admires Palin, then yes, we hate her -- and/or pity her. Anyone who admires Sarah Palin is a fool by definition.

by Anonymousreply 13September 6, 2012 4:27 PM

conservative old cunt

by Anonymousreply 14September 6, 2012 4:30 PM

She screwed up her face too. But bravo to her for her pet activism, she was one of the early celebrities championing that cause.

by Anonymousreply 15September 6, 2012 4:34 PM

Mary was a staunch Democrat in her youth and middle age: she even made a TV commercial in the 1980 election for Jimmy Carter.

Mary Richards was about the nicest person who ever lived (as Murray used to say, "She's absolutely terrific!"). But MTM herself has admitted she's more like Beth Jarrett than Mary Richards. She's not a super-nice lady, and she's become more sour as she's aged.

by Anonymousreply 16September 6, 2012 4:36 PM

She'll treat a dog better than a human.

by Anonymousreply 17September 6, 2012 4:37 PM

Never liked her anyway. Loved Rhoda and Phyllis but Mary was too thin to be stable, you just knew she had serious issues with food, body image and self esteem. She was never the gal next door you could pop a beer with and was miscast in her own show IMO. Also had no sex appeal and once she started the face work she morphed into another species.

by Anonymousreply 18September 6, 2012 4:39 PM

Her divorce from Grant Tinker (who dumped her for his teenage secretary) left her very bitter.

She was never the same after that.

by Anonymousreply 19September 6, 2012 4:41 PM

She didn't like it when Conrad barked at her!

by Anonymousreply 20September 6, 2012 4:41 PM

Oh no someone who doesn't get fisted AND has a different opinion. HATE HER.

by Anonymousreply 21September 6, 2012 4:43 PM

Rhoda and Lou are ultra lefty in real life.

by Anonymousreply 22September 6, 2012 4:47 PM

Mary Tyler Less

by Anonymousreply 23September 6, 2012 5:04 PM

Libertarians get diabetes.

by Anonymousreply 24September 6, 2012 6:15 PM

[quote] I don't care if she's Republican. I still love her two sitcoms.

You are dead to us R6

by Anonymousreply 25September 6, 2012 6:18 PM

Buck NEVER would vote for a liberal!

by Anonymousreply 26September 6, 2012 6:19 PM

Not so sure it's Mary you should be sorry for because of her son's suicide. She pretty much abandoned him to her parents to raise so she could pursue her career unencumbered. That sounds pretty rethuglican to me.

As much as I loved the MTM Show and her in it I never cared for her personally and I hated the Dick Van Dyke Show.

I understand why some women admire Palin - even those who disagree with her politics.

by Anonymousreply 27September 6, 2012 6:26 PM

Actually R27 Mary raised Richie until he was 16. Now was she around much? Not really, Richie was left in the care of nannies.

It was Richie who made the decision to live with his father at 16.

In Parade interview she does say her biggest regret was not being a good enough mother.

by Anonymousreply 28September 6, 2012 6:36 PM

If Mary TM really said she was like Beth Jarrett, she more in contact with her real self than most theatrical types.

If you look at Mary TM's life, she's always been selfish and self centered. I think that's why she was attracted to playing the part of Mary Richards. MR was completely her opposite.

Even to day, she's driven to having so much plastic surgery and marrying a doctor young enough to be her son. All of this is tragically revealing as to who the real Mary Tyler Moore is.

She was never a liberal, but for a while she played one in front of the cameras.

by Anonymousreply 29September 6, 2012 6:41 PM

[quote] Is Mary Tyler Moore a right-winger? “Maybe more of a libertarian centrist. If McCain had asked me to campaign for him, I would have.”

I saw her on the Betty White tribute. She was so out of it that she would have campaigned for Veal Prince Orloff.

by Anonymousreply 30September 6, 2012 6:47 PM

Anyone who admires Sarah Palin is "flea-brained." And if that person is female it makes them "maggot-brained." It's almost as bad as admiring Ann Romney.

by Anonymousreply 31September 6, 2012 6:52 PM

It's very disappointing to read this, to say the least. She campaigned for Jimmy Carter and would have worked for McCain which is quite a switch. The only positive thing I can find is that the Parade interview was from March 2009. Maybe she has matured a little in the past three and a half years. I know, it's a lot to hope for.

by Anonymousreply 32September 6, 2012 7:00 PM

R28, that's not what I read a very long time ago. Her parents lived somewhere nearby and he lived with them when she was trying to break into show biz in the late 1950s and maybe longer. Of course, I don't know the real truth but I am pretty sure she didn't have "nannies" while she was a struggling actress. Especially not before she married Tinker. I think this story changed after his death.

Lots of stars rewrite history to make it more palatable. They also tried to turn his suspected suicide into an accident. The kid was troubled for some reason and had a gun.

by Anonymousreply 33September 6, 2012 7:03 PM

Hey people change, they get old, become bitter and disgruntled. Somewhow that attracts one to the republican party.

by Anonymousreply 34September 6, 2012 7:05 PM

She's a caricature of who she used to be. I saw her on I think That 70s Show and I was shocked my her appearance.

by Anonymousreply 35September 6, 2012 7:09 PM

Teenage and twentysomething girls used to go up to Mary Tyler Moore all the time in the 70s and early 80s and say, "I want to be just like Mary Richards when I grow up!" And she says she always said in return, "Me too!"

by Anonymousreply 36September 6, 2012 7:11 PM

Elevated blood sugar can shrink your brain over time. I think her mind has deteriorated.

by Anonymousreply 37September 6, 2012 7:12 PM

She is dead to me. [italic][bold]DEAD TO ME!!![/bold][/italic]

Harumph.

by Anonymousreply 38September 6, 2012 7:42 PM

The Parade article is not sad at all. Mary Tyler Moore doesn't come off as a right-wing evil whacko. Okay fine, Mary has different political views than me--and I'm a big fat liberal and a political and news junkie.

But I love Mary. "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" provided me with more than a lifetime of laughs, characters, great writing and excellent quality television production. For me, MTM is still the best television show that was ever on the air.

Am I happy that she likes Bill O'Reilley. Hell no. But do I hate her for it? Emphatically no. Big deal, she likes Charles Krauthammer. He's on the air for all of about 15 minutes on Fox Sunday. Fox is despicable. Mary Tyler Moore is not.

In Mary's profession, she has delivered time and again, from "The Dick Van Dyke Show" to her own show to "Ordinary People" to other movies and Broadway. She's also had more than her share of personal ups and downs: her sons' death, divorces, her own quite serious case of diabetes and more recent brain surgery. So taken in in its totality, I love MTM, and I understand that her life is not the same as mine.

I wish MTM worked more in recent years. But everyone ages differently with illnesses and challenges. And for actors of a certain age, the work isn't always available.

I'm a Democrat throught and through. But I'm also just old enough to remember when people on either side of the political spectrum didn't automatically hate each other. Nowadays, yes, many Repugs are worthy of our hate and scorn.

But Mary Tyler Moore, a self-described libertarian who leans further right than me? No way, I don't hate her; I disagree with her on some things. I love Mary. She's remains the one who turned the world on with her smile.

And I hope the Kennedy Center honors her with a Lifetime Achievement Award before she leaves this world.

by Anonymousreply 39September 6, 2012 8:27 PM

She can be whatever she is. Lets not get all freeper.

by Anonymousreply 40September 6, 2012 8:31 PM

i think it's the only way she can deal with her son's suicide.

by Anonymousreply 41September 6, 2012 8:35 PM

I have friends from all over the political spectrum. Who cares? Maybe they interpret things differently than I do. So what?

As one ages one realizes that life's too short to write people off because they have different beliefs and opinions.

Just love the loveable, keep them close to your heart, and ignore the petty differences.

by Anonymousreply 42September 6, 2012 8:51 PM

Her performance in Ordinary People wasn't much of a stretch....

by Anonymousreply 43September 6, 2012 8:55 PM

She had such pretty skin when she was younger, but she's gone from porcelain skin to literally -porcelain skin. If she smiles too much, some cheek might chip off. About the only part left she could play would be the Statue of Liberty.

by Anonymousreply 44September 6, 2012 8:57 PM

R29 is wrong. She WAS a Democrat and lib in her20s and 30s, as has been pointed out.

I wonder what happened to change her? Her son's death? Or is it her husband (she's 18 years older than he is - so it's stretching it to say she's old enough to be his mother).

by Anonymousreply 45September 6, 2012 9:01 PM

R33 she was married to Richard Meeker when she was just 18, and her son followed.

She was trying to break into show biz, while she was still married.

When she got the Dick Van Dyke show she was still married to Richard Meeker, but they got divorced during the run of that show.

Shortly after her divorce, she married Grant Tinker.

Richie was with her every step of the way

When she got the Dick Van Dyke Show, (after her divorce) was when she started to hire nannies for Richie.

At no time did her son live with her parents.

by Anonymousreply 46September 6, 2012 9:02 PM

Anyone who watches FOX News and likes Charles Krauthammer is despicable by definition.

by Anonymousreply 47September 6, 2012 9:03 PM

Uh, who?

by Anonymousreply 48September 6, 2012 9:04 PM

son's death. turned her heart into stone.

ergo, the change from liberal to conservative.

by Anonymousreply 49September 6, 2012 9:05 PM

R39, R40 and R42 please post your supportive Republican comments on the Country Music threads on DL if you feel that way.

by Anonymousreply 50September 6, 2012 9:05 PM

I think these celebs like MTM and Jon Voight, who become Republican later in life, are not that sophisticated politically. They've devoted most of their lives to their own fame, so when they watch something like Fox News it dumbs things down for them.

by Anonymousreply 51September 6, 2012 9:09 PM

Mary's political donations since 1979

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52September 6, 2012 9:15 PM

What R50? I was reponding to THIS thread. Geesh.

by Anonymousreply 53September 6, 2012 9:18 PM

It's actually a good sign that Asner said she's changed, that means when he knew her best, doing the sitcom, she was either a liberal or far more liberal than she is now. So we can all still enjoy the sitcom, because she was a good approximation of Mary Richards at that time, according to Asner. And frankly I don't care much about anything she's done since, aside from Ordinary People.

by Anonymousreply 54September 6, 2012 9:22 PM

R53 you can't have it both ways. Saying on the one hand it is okay for MTM to have a different political point of view.

And then slamming country music stars for being Republican.

That is my only point.

by Anonymousreply 55September 6, 2012 9:23 PM

R42, oh fuck that Merry Sunshine. McCain, Palin and O'Reilly are as low as you can go. She's despicable, now anyway. But she used to be a lib so it's still ok to enjoy the sitcom. She barely contributed anything else of note anyway.

by Anonymousreply 56September 6, 2012 9:26 PM

R52. Thanks for the polital donation list. It appears that MTM has donated exclusively to Democratic candidates except for Sen. Susan Collins of Maine, who is one of the most bipartisan elected officials on Capitol Hill. Collins is not one of the horribly hateful Repugs.

by Anonymousreply 57September 6, 2012 9:39 PM

She is a dried out, bitter, sexless old cunt with a bad face lift. No need for grease--she'd go right up if a match came near that bitch. Julie here is better than MTM.

by Anonymousreply 58September 6, 2012 9:43 PM

That chart is very revealing. She was a strong Democrat as late as 1994, when she supported (financially) Teddy Kennedy, Bill Bradley, Daniel Patrick Moynihan, and Charles Robb. And she went for Dukakis in 1988.

So - 1994 is a good 14 years after her son's death, so I don't think it was that that turned her. Maybe she freaked out after 9/11, like Ron Silver and that Dennis what's his name?

by Anonymousreply 59September 6, 2012 9:44 PM

You're lucky McCain didn't ask her to campaign for him r57, since you wouldn't be able to defend that. And she said all he had to do was ask...

by Anonymousreply 60September 6, 2012 9:45 PM

I don't know why you people are so cross with her. I'm just happy she's found SOME work to occupy herself. I'm am surprised, though. I thought you needed a degree for that. I suppose it wouldn't be necessary if she's just reading the children stories in the kid's section. Good for you, Mare!

by Anonymousreply 61September 6, 2012 9:45 PM

R55 I didn't slam country music stars? What are you talking about? Why would I care about country music? I was posting about MTM. Strange.

by Anonymousreply 62September 6, 2012 9:45 PM

R53 would you defend country music stars the same way you defended MTM?

That is the question.

by Anonymousreply 63September 6, 2012 9:48 PM

R63, Why would I have too? I don't get your point. What does country music have to do with MTM? You never said. All I said was MTM can be whatever she is the same as you and me are allowed to be. If you want to freep do it someplace else. I'm not interested.

by Anonymousreply 64September 6, 2012 9:54 PM

She has not been a freeper all of her life. Rubbish.

MTM was a huge democrat and feminist supporter in the seventies. She did McGovern and Carter fundraisers. In fact, she was at one point listed as one of Hollywood's biggest supporters to the party (along with Norman Lear)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65September 6, 2012 9:56 PM

A couple backstage stories from Mary's variety show days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66September 6, 2012 9:59 PM

R64 then do you believe that

Country music stars can be whatever he/she is the same as you and me are allowed to be?

by Anonymousreply 67September 6, 2012 10:00 PM

No one's saying she's been a freeper all her life, r65. It's just as undeniable that MTM used to be a Democrat, as it is undeniable that she is now an O'Reilly/McCain/Palin-loving moron freeper.

by Anonymousreply 68September 6, 2012 10:01 PM

R67, Again I don't get your point. What does country music have to do with MTM? I don't listen to it. Why would I care about country music stars? They can do whatever the hell they want same as me, same as you.

by Anonymousreply 69September 6, 2012 10:06 PM

I can't hate. MTM show is a classic and it's very liberal.

She was operated recently for a brain tumour or something so maybe that messed her up. Aha.

by Anonymousreply 70September 6, 2012 10:10 PM

Gays love women who don't give a shit about them, convincing themselves that because those women are "fabulous" they're worthy of icon status.

by Anonymousreply 71September 6, 2012 10:15 PM

R60. I would not defend MTM for suppoting McCain; I couldn't stand him or Palin. But I am not going to abandon my lifetime of affection for Mary. I love MTM. I don't like her recent political viewpoints. But Mary is also an older woman now with several medical issues who doesn't have much--if any--of a political voice or influence. She has an opinion without much clout. Big deal.

When I think of Mary Tyler Moore, I think of Mary and her 1970s great ensemble of actors and writers who produced the best television show ever. Mary is rather harmless at this point. So what, she watches Fox. I don't like it, but so does most everyone else her age watch that stupid network.

What are you going to do, hate everyone? MTM and her team had a hand in making her show one of the most award-winning shows ever and one that pretty much changed the landscape of TV and the role of women in a sitcom. Mary ranks right up there with Lucille Ball, Bea Arthur, Roseanne Barr, etc.

by Anonymousreply 72September 6, 2012 10:27 PM

She got real stupid after all.

MEOW

by Anonymousreply 73September 6, 2012 10:36 PM

Most country and Western Republicans have been Republicans all of their lives. They come from long lines of staunch freepers and marry freepers. And most of them are vicously outspoken in their hatred. That is not MTM. So comparing her to someone like Hank Williams Jr. is ludicrous and idiotic.

She was not even a Reagan democrat in the eighties (she supported Carter then Mondale). She supported and was still donating large amounts of money to democrats up until the mid nineties.

I would be interested in knowing what made her turn parties. Was it her husband? She mentioned in her recent book that Newt Gingrich really went to bat on behalf of her Juvenile Diabetes organization. Maybe that had something to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 74September 6, 2012 10:41 PM

Dried-up, nasty old miserable cunt.

SOOOOOOO glad they didn't give her an Oscar for playing herself.

by Anonymousreply 75September 6, 2012 10:51 PM

[quote] Most country and Western Republicans have been Republicans all of their lives. They come from long lines of staunch freepers and marry freepers.

Doesn't that make the situation with MTM even worse? The country music stars are freepers because they've never known anything else. Their families, friends -- everyone around them is a freeper. It's the only way they've ever known. They're ignorant. MTM doesn't have that excuse. She's not ignorant. She was a liberal and has been surrounded by liberals. Unlike the country stars, she apparently decided to turn her back on her liberal past.

by Anonymousreply 76September 6, 2012 10:51 PM

I think it has something to do with hairspray. The chemicals they put in that thirty years ago were DEADLY.

by Anonymousreply 77September 6, 2012 11:03 PM

Ditto R39. Well said.

by Anonymousreply 78September 6, 2012 11:05 PM

First of all, Mary identifies herself as a libertarian, not a right-wing whacko. Secondly, I would prefer that her political views matched mine, but they don't. I still like her.

As for Mary watching Fox, yeah, it sucks, but watching Fox also has a lot to do with age. Plenty of people her age watch Fox. I'd prefer they didn't, but they do. My own father, a dyed-in-the-wool Dem all his life, started watching that crap when he got older.

For christssakes, Kathy Griffin includes it in her stand-up act that her mother watches O'Reilley on Fox. Okay, maybe Ed Asner doesn't watch Fox, but a lot of older people do. And that's not going to change my opinion that I like MTM and remember her TV show as the best.

by Anonymousreply 79September 6, 2012 11:08 PM

Ann Marie would never.

by Anonymousreply 80September 6, 2012 11:09 PM

Marlo Thomas alias Ann Marie....now there's a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 81September 6, 2012 11:27 PM

Have decided to vote for Obama! Screw the next generations. Don't give a shit about kids and grandkids. Taking all the gov't can give NOW. Lining up with special interest groups to get some for ME! QE ecomomic entitlements to infinity! Who cares!? Not planning to be around to pay for it. Who needs a fucking job? Free healthcare! Free housing! Free contraception! Free abortions for the underclass! Free Ivy-league educations for EVERYONE! Screw the 1%. Take all their income BITCHES! In fact -- take ALL private income. Give everyone MORE foodstamps. Give all teachers in failing public schools a raise. In fact, don't even have them go to work.

Why would ANYONE vote conservative? The democrats give us SO MUCH MORE "stuff". Nothing better than Obama swag! Can't WAIT to vote so you rich 5% gays can take care of me. GO BAMA!!!

by Anonymousreply 82September 6, 2012 11:29 PM

R64 the next time you are on DL trashing the latest celeb for being a Republican, remember what you have wrote about good old Mare here on DL.

by Anonymousreply 83September 6, 2012 11:31 PM

[quote]I'm am surprised, though. I thought you needed a degree for that. I suppose it wouldn't be necessary if she's just reading the children stories in the kid's section. Good for you, Mare! by: Betty White

Betty, I love you, but the only degree you yourself hold is from high school.

by Anonymousreply 84September 6, 2012 11:33 PM

So I guess with MTM she gets a free pass for being a Republican.

So on DL all republicans are dead to us, except MTM who gets a free pass from DL.

This is the same DL that goes after people who flip-flop on issues.

by Anonymousreply 85September 6, 2012 11:34 PM

Wow, that was a really hilarious and not-at-all-labored post, r82. Who says Republicans can't do comedy properly?

by Anonymousreply 86September 6, 2012 11:34 PM

[quote]So I guess with MTM she gets a free pass for being a Republican. So on DL all republicans are dead to us, except MTM who gets a free pass from DL.

Who said she gets a free pass? Multiple people here are NOT giving her a free pass.

[quote]This is the same DL that goes after people who flip-flop on issues.

You're speaking of "the same DL" as if we were either all the same person or if we took votes to achieve consensus on all issues. That's not only an idiotic belief, it's also very narcissistic. You believe everyone else who posts here, since we're not you, must all be just one person with a consistent set of beliefs. Start seeing other people as individuals instead of some sort of monolithic and corporate "that which is not you."

by Anonymousreply 87September 6, 2012 11:44 PM

[quote] Multiple people here are NOT giving her a free pass.

These are probably the same 'multiple' people who slam other celebs for being a Republican, but give MTM a free pass.

Talk about a flip-flop.

Either all celebs who are Republicans are dead on DL or they are not.

You guys cannot have it both ways.

by Anonymousreply 88September 6, 2012 11:48 PM

R85 is idiotic.

You can respect someone for their artistic contribution, which I do whole heartedly with MTM, without regarding their personal life or beliefs.

by Anonymousreply 89September 6, 2012 11:48 PM

Don't know if anyone's mentioned it (haven't read the entire thread) but I seem to remember MTM doing a commercial urging voters to re-elect President Carter back in 1980.

by Anonymousreply 90September 6, 2012 11:49 PM

R87 are you fine with celebrities being Republicans or are they dead to you like the majority of DL feels.

by Anonymousreply 91September 6, 2012 11:49 PM

R89 do you feel the same way about other celebs who are Republican?

by Anonymousreply 92September 6, 2012 11:51 PM

Mary sounds like a bit of a super high-maintenance nightmare. Neil Simon hates her, and she was a big boozy mess for years. Still, I'm shocked that anyone who doesn't have severe brain damage can listen to Krauthammer, Fox, and O'Reilly without puking. And liking Sarah Palin? There are no words.

by Anonymousreply 93September 6, 2012 11:57 PM

People's cognitive functions decline with old age. Yes, I know. Duh! Sadly, some of these folks still vote and hold outsized influence. I'm amazed by the sharpness some seniors demonstrate while others enter the fog of dotage. The latter are the same people who insist on driving well into their eighties and blame the brakes once their car slams into the local coffee shop.

by Anonymousreply 94September 6, 2012 11:57 PM

What the fuck is your problem, r92?

By the way, learn correct grammar. "...who have wrote" makes you sound like a redneck hick - which you probably are.

by Anonymousreply 95September 6, 2012 11:59 PM

I would love to see her testify at a House Committee dealing with arts funding, simply to her hear whine: "OH NIX YOUR GRANTS"!

by Anonymousreply 96September 7, 2012 12:04 AM

R95 you are not answering the question.

Do you feel the same way about Republican celebs, the same way you feel with MTM.

It is a simple question.

Unless you are flip-flopper. Giving MTM a free pass, while slamming other Republican celebs.

by Anonymousreply 97September 7, 2012 12:06 AM

Give me a break R92.

This is the place where Republican ass kisser Anderson Cooper gets threads filled with adoration.

by Anonymousreply 98September 7, 2012 12:08 AM

[quote]Neil Simon hates her, and she was a big boozy mess for years.

Well, Neil would certainly know about being a big, boozy mess. And he's a horror show himself, along with his asshole wife Elaine Joyce. NO ONE likes Neil Simon, and he hasn't written anything of value in 30 years.

by Anonymousreply 99September 7, 2012 12:09 AM

R87 and R89 refuse to answer.

So I guess they have one set rules for certain Republican celebs (like MTM) and one set of rules for all the other Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 100September 7, 2012 12:12 AM

[quote] So I guess with MTM she gets a free pass for being a Republican.

Kind of like the way Lisa Whelchel gets a free pass for being a fundie.

On DL, all Republicans and fundies are evil people who should be shunned and condemned -- unless they also happen to be eldergay cultural icons, in which case they're OK.

by Anonymousreply 101September 7, 2012 12:15 AM

Whaaaat?

by Anonymousreply 102September 7, 2012 12:16 AM

You're a freak, r100. What the fuck is your problem?

I love Mary's legacy in MTM Show and DVD. But I hate that she's now a Rethuglican. Dead to me? Well, yeah, Mary 2012 is. But the stuff I love, she did back when she was sane and was a liberal.

I'm not a country fan, but I enjoy Reba McEntire as a comic actress - she was awesome in Annie Get Your Gun - and I hate her politics.

Eastwood I never cared for as an actor, liked a few of the movies he's directed. I mean, he's elderly and out of it, as we clearly saw recently. Dead to me? I just don't care enough about him or his work.

The other big Rethug entertainment icons are all people (Chuck Norris, Morgan Brittany, Wilfrid Brimley for instance) that I wouldn't care about if they were liberals. Their careers just don't mean much to me.

by Anonymousreply 103September 7, 2012 12:19 AM

Thank you for clearing it up R101

I guess R87 and R89 have that point of view you are talking about.

by Anonymousreply 104September 7, 2012 12:20 AM

You're loony, r101. Whelchel is a "DL icon" only in that she's fun to laugh at BECAUSE of her fundie/Repigg posts. No one admires her.

by Anonymousreply 105September 7, 2012 12:21 AM

R103 I'm glad you answered the question.

See was that so hard?

by Anonymousreply 106September 7, 2012 12:24 AM

R103 you don't have to explain anything to anyone.

Anderson Cooper is a big Republican ass kisser (and possibly a Republican himself), yet there are tons of threads devoted to him filled with how great he is and what a role model he is for the community. There were even threads about how hot Paul Ryan is when he was first announced for the VP.

If you're a white male and somewhat good looking, you always get a pass on here. Everyone else is held to a different standard.

That's why it's amusing to talk about politics here, with all the racism and women hating that goes on here on a daily basis.

by Anonymousreply 107September 7, 2012 12:25 AM

[quote] in which case they're OK

no, not okay.

by Anonymousreply 108September 7, 2012 12:25 AM

R106 why don't you say the same thing in one of the Anderson threads?

Or are you too cowardly to answer my question?

by Anonymousreply 109September 7, 2012 12:27 AM

she's old, so she'd be (I hope) a more harmless old fashioned type Republican

by Anonymousreply 110September 7, 2012 12:30 AM

R109 I do say the same thing on the AC threads.

But it is pointless because of his rabid fan base. I've taken one person's advice and just stayed away from any and all AC threads because of his obsessive and rabid fans.

by Anonymousreply 111September 7, 2012 12:33 AM

STILL waiting for R106 to answer my question.

Where are you, Freeper bitch?

by Anonymousreply 112September 7, 2012 12:34 AM

You

YouYou

You seem damaged, r109. What's the problem? AC is a Democrat, and what Rethug asskissing has he done, exactly?

And - for the record - Cooper gets lambasted here far more often than he gets any love. ESPECIALLY when he came out.

by Anonymousreply 113September 7, 2012 12:36 AM

R112 R113 see R111

by Anonymousreply 114September 7, 2012 12:39 AM

"AC is a Democrat, and what Rethug asskissing has he done, exactly?"

Anderson is not a democrat. Give me a break.

What asskissing has he done? I don't have the time to make that big of a list.

And sorry, but if you're going to accept AC's adoration, then you've no right to criticize MTM. She is not a mouthpiece for their party, unlike certain others.

by Anonymousreply 115September 7, 2012 12:41 AM

[quote]do you feel the same way about other celebs who are Republican?

I think you need reading comprehension 101. What part of "...without regarding their personal life or beliefs" you didn't understand?

It goes both ways, republicans or democrats.

I'm only interested in the artistic merit.

Will Ferrell is a big liberal democrat but that won't change the fact that all of his work is shit. I shouldn't like his work just because he's a liberal. Adam Sandler is a republican and all of his work is shit. Hitchcock was a conservative in life but many of his films are great. MTM was a liberal when she made the MTM show in the 70s. If she changed today, who cares. I would like her better if she wasn't a repug but people change, for better or for worse.

by Anonymousreply 116September 7, 2012 12:45 AM

AC has actually donated money to a Republican candidate.

by Anonymousreply 117September 7, 2012 12:46 AM

Either you (everything single one of you) will admit Mary Tyler Moore is the source of all evil in this universe, or you are inconsistent with yourselves and thus can be accused of flip-flopping! These are your only two possible options! You have no others! There is no room for in-between!!!!

Why have you not responded to the last three sentences I just typed? Seconds have passed since I posted them, and you have not responded! Answer me this very second, or otherwise I will have to conclude you believe I'm completely right!!!

Well, seconds have passed since you read the previous sentence, and you've not instantaneously responded, so you obviously agree I am completely right!!!

by Anonymousreply 118September 7, 2012 1:09 AM

[quote]Either you (everything single one of you) will admit Mary Tyler Moore is the source of all evil in this universe,

I have no problem with that.

by Anonymousreply 119September 7, 2012 1:19 AM

I hate the how all gay men get stereotyped into the "I love AC" category. Not every single gay man is obsessed with the man. It drives me nuts. anyway, I wouldn't say Anderson is a republican but he sure as hell isn't as liberal as he wants people to see him. I guess it would be career suicide if he was seen as anything but. I hate that people think we are so damn close minded about that shit. Anderson doesn't do it for me but I don't give a shit what he chooses to be.

by Anonymousreply 120September 7, 2012 1:22 AM

Yeah, Anderson falls into the "I don't give a shit" category for me, too. I'm just not interested in him. And I don't find him attractive at all.

by Anonymousreply 121September 7, 2012 1:25 AM

You bet I'm a Libertarian! Have you seen the price of meat lately? Why, I've even taken to washing my own car and am considering moving out of Phyllis' overpriced flat into a crappy crackerbox high rise!

by Anonymousreply 122September 7, 2012 1:54 AM

Stop smearing the true liberals in the normal sense of the word ( libertarians). Fox News is not remotely libertarian, nor is Sarah Palin. Libertarians aren't fans of that crap. They have Stossel and Napolitano ( who is really good on civil liberties, very liberal) in very minor roles on their smaller station, but that's about it.

Libertarians are fully socially and economically liberal. Dems are unreliably socially liberal to an extent. Repugs are sometimes economically liberal in rhetoric but rarely in practice.

by Anonymousreply 123September 7, 2012 3:00 AM

And John McCain hates libertarians. He's notorious for it. He wants to banish them from the GOP for their opposition to War, high military spending, and belief in civil rights. They shouldnt be in the GOP anyway, but he hates them.

by Anonymousreply 124September 7, 2012 3:02 AM

Republicans hate Libertarians completely. That's because Libertarians are liberal, classically. Quit associating Libertarianism with Ayn Rand--it's stupid. She was nothing of the sort.

The only party that has established, in writing, the rights of women, gays, and minorities in it's platform.

It can be completely leftist, if you so choose, or more right-wing, if that's your bag.

But I'll tell you what it's not--it's not about saying horrible things about someone you have political disagreements with.

by Anonymousreply 125September 7, 2012 3:13 AM

Libertarians are ASSHOLES. They are far more conservative than liberal. Some of them are actually more conservative than moderate Rethugs.

by Anonymousreply 126September 7, 2012 3:20 AM

Are Libertarians "assholes" for stating in their platform that gay people should have the right to marry and enjoy full rights?

by Anonymousreply 127September 7, 2012 3:23 AM

Gary Johnson, the Libertarian "nominee" for Prexy, is a Repiglican who went Libertarian when the Repigs rejected him. Bob Barr, a total right-wing loon, was chosen by the Libertarians in 2008.

They are against US involvement in the UN, WTO and NATO. They don't believe in taxes and are against single-payer health care.

by Anonymousreply 128September 7, 2012 3:32 AM

Mary Tyler Moore turned the world on with her smile the first time she ever appeared on television nearly 50 years ago--long before the MTM Show.

She can identify as a right-leaning libertarian until we all turn blue. I don't care. She's Mary Tyler fucking Moore, and I love her. Always have.

by Anonymousreply 129September 7, 2012 4:42 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130September 7, 2012 5:47 AM

[quote]Libertarians are fully socially and economically liberal.

Complete and utter lie, Ron Paul is antigay!

by Anonymousreply 131September 7, 2012 3:36 PM

That means Ron Paul is not a true libertarian, R131. His religious beliefs make him the worst kind of hypocrite: Libertarian for himself; Oppressive for others.

by Anonymousreply 132September 8, 2012 4:05 PM

I suppose Romney is too liberal for her, as she has not endorsed that ticket.

by Anonymousreply 133October 30, 2012 11:50 PM

Mary wised up, good for her.

by Anonymousreply 134August 8, 2013 10:39 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!