Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why did Melina Kanakaredes leave CSI: NY?

Loved her as Stella on the show and wondering if anyone here knows why she left.

Any stories from the set? What's Sinese like off camera?

by Anonymousreply 5512/03/2013

She went back to the prairie, OP.

by Anonymousreply 109/03/2012

Her name was too long for the credits.

by Anonymousreply 209/03/2012

IIRC, she wanted to spend more time with her kids.

by Anonymousreply 309/03/2012

Actually it was a money issue. She wanted almost as much as Gary Sinse was making. CBS felt she was replaceable, and they were right.

They replaced her with multiple Emmy winner Sela Ward, and ratings have remained the same.

by Anonymousreply 409/03/2012

Personally, I think Sela is wrong for the show. Too old and too glam.

by Anonymousreply 509/03/2012

Thanks for the responses. It was her chemistry with Sinise that made the show watchable. The ratings may have stayed the same, but the show definitely isn't.

by Anonymousreply 609/03/2012

I liked Melina far better than Sela "The Frozen Face of Botox" Ward.

by Anonymousreply 709/03/2012

Sela is a two-time Emmy Award winning actress.

by Anonymousreply 809/03/2012

I like Sela a lot but she's not right for this show, really. Sinise is a conservative, but I don't think a wing nut, and truly a gifted actor. Glad he's made some real bucks on this show, hopefully he'll do a William Petersen and get back to the stage after the show's done.

Oh, and I find all the CSIs show dull, dull, dull.

by Anonymousreply 909/03/2012

When the first CSI came out, it put a fresh spin on tv cops shows, but the franchise has long since run its course. When I first saw Sela, I thought she looked great, her face and eyes did not have have the pulled back look, and on first glance she looked natural. On second glance, I am not sure I have ever seen a forhead so botoxed. No mobility of the upper face what-so-ever. Very distracting.

by Anonymousreply 1009/03/2012

It sucks that in supposedly liberal Hollywood women get paid less then men.

by Anonymousreply 1109/03/2012

R11 Sinse is not only a bigger star, but he is a producer on the show.

Melina wanted a salary with equality, despite not being a producer on the show.

by Anonymousreply 1209/03/2012

In this case, apparently it was how crucial the woman was to the show.

Mariska and Chris always got paid the same. And Mariska is still raking it in.

by Anonymousreply 1309/03/2012

Sometimes CSI can be dull, but now and then you get a pretty good episode.

Living in NYC I love watching CSI: NY just to see how little the scenarios resemble NYC at all most of the time. I can't vouch for the other versions, but 90% of the victims and killers are beautiful, white men and women in their 20s and 30s. There is no diversity AT ALL.

The best was a story about a bodega shooting where the owners and workers in the bodega looked like they belonged on Gossip Girl rather than making someone an egg and cheese on a roll in the morning.

Most of the crimes take place in midtown, UES or UWS.

Most episodes open with a party/bar type scene with plenty of extras in bikinis or similarly revealing attire. The extras all look much more LA than NYC.

The one thing that roots the show in some sort of believability is the casting of the CSI team. They feel like they live in New York.

by Anonymousreply 1409/03/2012

[quote]Melina wanted a salary with equality, despite not being a producer on the show.

A producer credit is a way to justify a salary raise to an actor. You don't really think he's producing the show, do you? Edie Falco, Dustin Hoffman, Sarah Jessica Parker, William Petersen... they're all producers in name only.

by Anonymousreply 1609/03/2012

[quote]Personally, I think Sela is wrong for the show. Too old and too glam.

Too old for what, exactly? Gary Sinise is older than she. Is he too old as well?

by Anonymousreply 1809/03/2012

R15 His flag waving is mostly involved with former soldiers. His acts of kindness toward wounded vets is legendary.

by Anonymousreply 1909/03/2012

Because she's an idiot!

by Anonymousreply 2009/03/2012

And WHET Melina since she left CSI:NY?

by Anonymousreply 2109/03/2012

Does that hit a little too close to home, Marg at R21?

by Anonymousreply 2209/03/2012

Sela is wrong for the show not because she's too old, but too cold.

Melina was such a warm presence, and did very well with the rape and domestic violence victims. You really believed that her character cared.

Sinise has a cold character; he is very realistic as a boss. No nonsense, and though he cares for his team, he doesn't joke around with them or put up with much. Melina balanced that out so well and Sela doesn't offer up similar traits.

by Anonymousreply 2309/03/2012

Who cares about Melina or Sela or Sinise?

I just want to fuck Eddie Cahill until the cows come home. SMOKING HOT.

(sorry, link is the only shirtless photo I could find)

by Anonymousreply 2409/03/2012

I seem to recall that Melina has left other shows that she was in due to what she considers "low" pay. None of those shows ever tried to keep her by giving her a raise. They all let her go.

Don't know why she has not learned that she is not a star and she is easily replaceable.

She is lucky that she has been able to get work. She is getting to be that age where work is going to disappear!

by Anonymousreply 2509/03/2012

Melina turned down Law & Order for CSI. She would have been GREAT on L&O.

by Anonymousreply 2609/03/2012

At least CSI is still on the air. If Melina had taken L&O, that show was cancelled 2 years ago...

by Anonymousreply 2709/04/2012

Senise's producer credit is meaningless. I'm sure Melina wanted the same meaningless credit to go with the pay raise.

by Anonymousreply 2809/04/2012

OP, in my country there was a woman very much like this Melina Kanakaredes. She wanted more money for CSI: Athens so my Ya Ya picked up a rock and hit her with it.

And then she didn't want anything anymore.

by Anonymousreply 2909/04/2012

That's messed up.

by Anonymousreply 3009/05/2012

I left CSI to return to my homeland to take care of my Ya Ya.

by Anonymousreply 3109/07/2012

by Anonymousreply 3209/08/2012

Eleni was the love of my life. A Kardasshian just doesn't cut it.

by Anonymousreply 3309/09/2012

I hope one day that Melina Kanakaredes will play a lesbian character in a tv movie or something. That would be different.

by Anonymousreply 3409/09/2012

Yeah, yeah.

by Anonymousreply 3509/09/2012

She has a massive brain tumor.

by Anonymousreply 3609/09/2012

Yeah right r36.

by Anonymousreply 3709/11/2012

I stopped watching this show after the episode that featured "ice" bullets. Ice. Bullets made of ice. Ice.

by Anonymousreply 3809/11/2012

Melina played a lesbian in a small film she did while still on GL. I can't remember the name of it, but her character was an attorney.

by Anonymousreply 3909/11/2012

I saw her at church once. In the pew behind me. She's more gorgeous in person than on TV.

by Anonymousreply 4009/11/2012

I think she looks stunningly beautiful on tv. I wonder if she'd every consider coming to Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 4109/11/2012

Bleeding Hearts?

The Long Kiss Goodnight?

Thank you for bringing it up, r39.

However I do wish she would do more lesbian roles in the future.

by Anonymousreply 4209/12/2012

Anybody home?

by Anonymousreply 4309/16/2012

I think she's ugly and has a horrid nose job and I don't understand why she's gotten even half of thr jobs she has had.

by Anonymousreply 4409/16/2012

Melina lived in New York. After signing the "CSI" contract the producers decided to do the series in California instead of Silvercup, so she was stuck. Left the show when contract expired. Same thing happened to Vanessa Williams with "Ugly Betty."

by Anonymousreply 4509/16/2012

What is she doing now?

by Anonymousreply 4609/16/2012

She will be appearing in a new film coming out next year called "Snitch."

by Anonymousreply 4709/16/2012

Are you sure it's not a lesbian movie called "Snatch" ?

by Anonymousreply 4809/16/2012

Nope, r48. It's called "Snitch." This is what it is about: A father goes undercover for the DEA in order to free his son who was imprisoned after being set up in drug deal.

by Anonymousreply 4909/16/2012

Supporting role. How typical. She is hot.

by Anonymousreply 5009/16/2012

[quote]It sucks that in supposedly liberal Hollywood women get paid less then men.

Hollywood is far from liberal when it comes to equal treatment of the sexes.

by Anonymousreply 5109/16/2012

Yp, r50.

by Anonymousreply 5209/17/2012

by Anonymousreply 5312/11/2012

Would have loved to have seen her when she played Sally Bowles in the Cabaret revival.

by Anonymousreply 5412/11/2012

If you don"t like flag wavers maybe you need to find a different country to live in. I personally believe every U. S. citizen should be waving Old Glory all the time, as it is my country and I am proud of her and everything She stands for.

by Anonymousreply 5512/03/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!