Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Movies with homosexual subtext (e.g. interview with the vampire)

Does anyone feel, after watching interview with the vampire, that Lestat, and Louis were in love? I mean there's always this romantic undercurrent in the film and in the novel. What are some movies with homosexual subtext?

by Anonymousreply 11701/06/2013

Strangers on a Train

Rope

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

by Anonymousreply 109/02/2012

It's hardly a subtext in "Rope."

by Anonymousreply 209/02/2012

Tango & Cash

by Anonymousreply 309/02/2012

Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid (they even watched each other have sex)

Thelma and oh you know the rest...

Capote

Chip And Dale

Calamity Jane

by Anonymousreply 409/02/2012

"Near Dark"

by Anonymousreply 509/02/2012

Milo and Otis

by Anonymousreply 609/02/2012

It's hardly a subtext in the Anne Rice books, either, as Lestat and Louis explicitly have a romantic and sexual relationship with each other.

by Anonymousreply 709/02/2012

What is the subtext in Woolf?

Obviously North by Northwest had one.

I'd say East of Eden and Ordinary People had them

by Anonymousreply 909/02/2012

Gilda

by Anonymousreply 1009/02/2012

Master and Commander.

by Anonymousreply 1109/02/2012

I used to beat off to the Hornblower books, so I guess you have a point there.

Pretty much any pirate movie.

by Anonymousreply 1209/02/2012

Shawshank Redemption was a love story between Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman.

by Anonymousreply 1309/02/2012

Ben Hur

by Anonymousreply 1409/02/2012

Tea & Sympathy

Marie Antoinette

Picnic

Thelma & Louise

West Side Story

by Anonymousreply 1509/02/2012

IWtV should not have had any gay subtext whatsoever. It should have been blatant, as it is in the book.

by Anonymousreply 1609/02/2012

THE SEARCHERS

by Anonymousreply 1709/02/2012

[quote] Strangers on a Train

on TCM right now

by Anonymousreply 1809/02/2012

FINDING NEMO

by Anonymousreply 1909/02/2012

Top Gun

Fried Green Tomatoes

by Anonymousreply 2009/02/2012

Gilda

Rebecca

The Song of Bernadette

Top Gun

Taps

A Separate Peace

All About Eve

by Anonymousreply 2109/02/2012

Black Widow starring Debra Winger and Theresa Russell

by Anonymousreply 2209/02/2012

Inception

by Anonymousreply 2309/02/2012

The Greatest Story Ever Told

by Anonymousreply 2409/02/2012

Bulletproof with Adam Sandler and Damon Wayans had plenty. It should have been called Bulletproof Hearts and the characters should have been ex-lovers and the whole thing would have made perfect sense. All it would have taken was one or two lines of dialog -- they could have looped it it, no need for re-shoots.

Missed opportunity, big time.

by Anonymousreply 2509/02/2012

The Talented Mr. Ripley

by Anonymousreply 2609/02/2012

This Means War, the puerile nonsense starring Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine and Tom Hardy. Like R25s, another one of those scripts that only makes sense if the two male characters are lovers - a fact the NY Times also pointed out in its review.

by Anonymousreply 2709/02/2012

Double Team

with Dennis Rodman and Jean Claude Van Damme

by Anonymousreply 2809/02/2012

The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie

by Anonymousreply 2909/02/2012

Velvet Goldmine

Y Tu Mama Tambien

Point Break

Fight Club

Gallipoli

by Anonymousreply 3009/02/2012

In the movie Louis and Lestat were portrayed more as two bros not lovers. Louis and Ormond on the other hand, definitely had homosexual subtext. If I remember correctly, Louis flat out admits his attraction to Ormond in their last scene together.

by Anonymousreply 3109/02/2012

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

by Anonymousreply 3209/02/2012

Hair

by Anonymousreply 3309/02/2012

Ferris Blower Gets Off

by Anonymousreply 3409/02/2012

Monkees

by Anonymousreply 3509/02/2012

The Green Berets

by Anonymousreply 3609/02/2012

[quote]Velvet Goldmine

[quote]Y Tu Mama Tambien

The male characters in those movies were actually having sex--there was no subtext.

by Anonymousreply 3709/02/2012

Who was involved in the Inception subtext, r23? Arthur and Eames?

by Anonymousreply 3809/02/2012

The Covenant and all it's sequels.

by Anonymousreply 3909/03/2012

The Craft. STRONG lesbian vibes.

by Anonymousreply 4009/03/2012

Kiss of the Spider Woman

by Anonymousreply 4109/03/2012

Do some posters here not understand the different between "subtext" and "blatant and obvious and in-your-face"?

by Anonymousreply 4209/03/2012

Comparing guns in Red River.

by Anonymousreply 4309/03/2012

i dare you to define subtext.

by Anonymousreply 4409/03/2012

They should remake Robinson Crusoe with the explicit relationship between him and Friday revealed.

by Anonymousreply 4509/03/2012

Rebecca

Fried Green Tomatoes (shouldn't have been subtexted)

Midnight Cowboy

A Separate Piece, I mean, Peace

by Anonymousreply 4609/03/2012

Sorry for the last post. I hadn't refreshed my page and didn't know most in my list were already posted.

by Anonymousreply 4709/03/2012

Toy Story

by Anonymousreply 4809/03/2012

[quote]Do some posters here not understand the different between "subtext" and "blatant and obvious and in-your-face"?

Oh, dear

by Anonymousreply 4909/03/2012

Obviously it's been a long time since I've seen the movie...but "Ordinary People"?

What am I forgetting, or missing?

by Anonymousreply 5009/03/2012

Louis and Lestat weren't bros. They had a child together for fucks sake (with whom they of course also had sexual subtext). I remember reading a rant by a Tom Cruise fangirl, how gross that film was and how hot it would have been if he bit a woman like he bit Louis.

by Anonymousreply 5109/03/2012

The social network. mark/eduardo wanted to fuck so bad and no i'm not some tumblr fangirl just a fan of the film.

by Anonymousreply 5209/03/2012

East of Eden...Rebel without a cause....Apartment Zero...Johnny Guitar

by Anonymousreply 5309/03/2012

Suddenly Last Summer

by Anonymousreply 5409/03/2012

I don't get where there's subtext in East of Eden. It was only James Dean, his father and his brother - I don't remember any other males.

by Anonymousreply 5509/03/2012

Endless Summer

by Anonymousreply 5609/03/2012

The Talented Mr. Ripley was not subtext since they made Tom expressly gay at the end. Plein Soleil, on the other hand, is subtler.

by Anonymousreply 5709/03/2012

King Rat - George Segal and James Fox

Lawrence of Arabia - Peter O'Toole & Omar Sharif

From Here to Eternity - there's a scene with Lancaster & Clift, where Lancaster drunkenly paws and pets Clift

Unknown 50's war movie with Tony Curtis. Showed TC and his soldier buddy curled up together to sleep in a trench

I got a vibe that Robert DeNiro had special feelings for the John Savage character in 'The Deerhunter'. He cradled and protected him a lot in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 5809/03/2012

Two more Tony Curtis movies:

The Defiant Ones

Trapeze, with Burt Lancaster

by Anonymousreply 6009/03/2012

"Man's Favorite Sport" with Rock Hudson and Paula Prentiss. Rock had his moments but with good humor and the surprising thing is that Paula Prentiss does as well.

"The (original) Stepford Wives" Yeah. Think about it.

by Anonymousreply 6109/03/2012

Bambi

by Anonymousreply 6209/03/2012

R55, well, there's that scene where Dean converses with Albert Dekker while Dekker showers and dresses. Dean hovers around so close that Dekker says, "Don't stand so close to me, I don't want to get all hot again!" Dekker then lights a cigarette as he towels off, Dean grabs it and takes a few puffs. It's an odd scene that would've been more titillating (and more obvious) had Dekker been handsomer and leaner.

by Anonymousreply 6309/03/2012

Murder By Numbers - Michael Pitt & Ryan Gosling's roles

by Anonymousreply 6409/03/2012

Enemy at the Gates: the WWII epic has a theoretical romantic triangle at the center between Jude Law, Rachel Weisz and Joseph Fiennes, where the two men are supposed to be in love with Rachel, but the way the movie is directed and acted (especially by Fiennes), it seems that his character is more in love with Law than with Weisz, and that makes his actions at the end of the movie more sensible.

Johnny Eager: Van Heflin won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar as the drunken, Shakespeare-quoting "best friend" of gangster Robert Taylor; there's more chemistry between Taylor and Heflin than there is between Taylor and leading lady Lana Turner, and, again, the ending practically makes the gay subtext explicit.

by Anonymousreply 6509/03/2012

Becket

by Anonymousreply 6609/03/2012

The Big Combo: 50's film noir where Lee Van Cleef and Earl Holliman play the goons of a syndicate biggie. Their relationship has been viewed as more than coworkers.

The Hitcher: this movie is so full of the most blatant subtext. Crazy hitchhiker Rutger Hauer chases young twink C. Thomas Howell thru the desert, saying "you have to stop me". RH murders the woman that tries to help CTH escape him.

A telling scene shows CTH spitting in RH's face and RH lovingly spreading the saliva over his face (metaphor for ejaculation?). RH then hums the song "A Bicycle Built for Two", which has the lyrics "I'm half crazy, all for the love of you".

by Anonymousreply 6709/03/2012

I thought I read the remake of the Hitcher ditched that element of the story. Speaking of horror movies, Jeepers Creepers had a bit of that going, with the male being the focus rather than the female. Was there some subtext in Fright Night?

by Anonymousreply 6809/03/2012

R9- in "Woolf" there is a homosexual subtext in George's story and his own possible attraction to Nick. I always watch that movie thinking George is gay. That is part of their illusions and fears.

by Anonymousreply 6909/03/2012

R59-great call. I always thought it was just the Anybody character. But now I will watch it in a different way.

Also think there is a gay subtext in " 3:10 To Yuma"- I think Ben Foster's character is in love with Russell Crowe's character .

by Anonymousreply 7009/03/2012

The Talented Mr. Ripley

by Anonymousreply 7109/03/2012

Suddenly Last Summer is not subtext, unless you see lesbian subtext? Homosexuality is the main plot point.

by Anonymousreply 7209/03/2012

Sherlock Holmes

Anything with RDJ or Jude Law probably.

by Anonymousreply 7309/03/2012

Deliverance

by Anonymousreply 7409/03/2012

Less Than Zero - there was a smoldering vibe between Robert Downey and James Spader. Not so much with Andrew McCarthy and RDJ.

by Anonymousreply 7509/03/2012

Yes, r70, I totally got that vibe from Ben Foster in 3:10 to Yuma.

by Anonymousreply 7609/03/2012

R60, have you seen "The Sweet Smell of Success", also with Tony Curtis and Burt Lancaster? It's VERY homoerotic, with their two characters engaged in a twisted dominance/submission relationship.

"Trapeze" and "Sweet Smell of Success" are so very homoerotic, that I still think Curtis and Lancaster were having an affair at the time.

by Anonymousreply 7709/04/2012

The Fog of War

by Anonymousreply 7809/04/2012

Gattaca

by Anonymousreply 7909/04/2012

I got a bit of a vibe between Robert Gere and David Keith in "An Officer and a Gentleman".

In the movie "King of New York", Wesley Snipes and David Caruso play undercover cops. Wesley gets shot and David appears to kiss him while he's laying on the ground.

Magnum Force with Clint Eastwood. Wasn't it implied that two of the dirty cops were lovers?

by Anonymousreply 8009/04/2012

Wings

by Anonymousreply 8109/04/2012

Wings

by Anonymousreply 8209/04/2012

I second the person who asked about "Ordinary People." I am not disagreeing, just curious as to what I missed.

by Anonymousreply 8309/04/2012

R58-it may interest you to know that Cilft was really drunk in that scene. And I always noticed that hand gesture that Lancaster made. Although I have never figured out whether it was between the two characters or just a gesture from Lancaster to Clift.

There is a scene in An American In Paris, right after the girl falls into Gene Kelly's arms - in the background: two guys run down the stairs holding hands-one is shirtless. You have to look for it. But it is there.

by Anonymousreply 8409/04/2012

"Whip It"

by Anonymousreply 8509/04/2012

Near the end of Lawrence of Arabia, Omar Sharif and Anthony Quinn (he plays a Bedouin prince) almost get into a slap fight over Lawrence.

Quinn's character wants Lawrence to go back to the desert with him and continue fighting their war. Sharif is like, oh, no, he's staying with me. Quinn spits out as an accusation "you love him!" Sharif doesn't reply, just shoots him daggers with his eyes.

by Anonymousreply 8609/04/2012

In MARATHON MAN, the characters played by William Devane and Roy Scheider are lovers. It was much more implicit in the book, but somehow, Schlesinger managed to get the subtext in without the morons at the studio noticing.

by Anonymousreply 8709/04/2012

Saying that INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE has a homosexual subtext is like saying the Bible touches on religious themes.

by Anonymousreply 8809/04/2012

Apartment Zero, already mentioned, is perfect example of subtext. There is no sex or even implied sex between leads but it's there. Also a great movie and early one for Colin Firth. I read he was initially thought too good looking for the "nerdy" character.

by Anonymousreply 8909/04/2012

Hey R84, I'm talking about the scene where the two sit in the middle of the road, drunk. I've never noticed any one 'gesture' by Lancaster, just that he's real handsy, running his hand over Clift's head/hair/shoulders.

Check the video - starts approx 3:00 mark.

by Anonymousreply 9009/05/2012

Any movie that has two soldiers in love with the same woman ends up seeming like it has a homosexual subtext. Eventually, the bond between the men is stronger than to the woman.

by Anonymousreply 9109/05/2012

I was going to post "Lawrence of Arabia" too but because of the lip-licking scene.

Top Gun

Lost Boys

by Anonymousreply 9209/05/2012

Apropos. Did Lawrence of Arabia imply that he provoked them to rape him on purpose? His behavior there was all kinds of odd and downright stupid otherwise. Weird scene! And a pretty damn outrageous scene, especially for the time.

by Anonymousreply 9309/05/2012

"It's hardly a subtext in the Anne Rice books, either, as Lestat and Louis explicitly have a romantic and sexual relationship with each other"

It's been a while since I've read that book, but where in "Interview with the Vampire" do Lestat and Louis "explicitly have a romantic relationship with each other?" When Louis is made a vampire the feel of Lestat's lips on his neck sucking his blood gives him a strange feeling of arousal, but after he's made a vampire his feelings for Lestat are universally negative. In fact, he detests Lestat and only stays with him because he's such a wimpy, listless vampire. And since he and Lestat are both undead creatures, they obviously aren't even capable of an "explicit romantic relationship."

Louis has something like love-type feelings for a vampire named Armand and he has a creepy lover-like relationship with his "child", the eternally five or six year old demonic Claudia. But he never could stand Lestat.

by Anonymousreply 9409/05/2012

Nightmare on Elm Street 2

by Anonymousreply 9509/05/2012

[quote]And since he and Lestat are both undead creatures, they obviously aren't even capable of an "explicit romantic relationship."

It's clearly been a while since you read Anne Rice.

by Anonymousreply 9609/05/2012

In Interview With A Vampire, Rice made it perfectly clear that Lestate was in love with Louis but Louis did not feel so inclined. Louis was Lestates second male love interest. Lestate didn't have much luck with men.

by Anonymousreply 9709/05/2012

Point Break

The (very gay) Matrix

by Anonymousreply 9809/05/2012

Speaking of vampire movies I always thought evil Ed from Fright Night was gay. Especially when Jerry said I know what it's like be "different" right before he turned him into a vampire.

by Anonymousreply 9909/05/2012

There is a trope that slash fans use to pinpoint random instances of homoeroticism that sneak into various movies, TV shows, etc. It's the "no heterosexual explanation moment". The poster at R98 reminded me of one in Point Break.

Maverick cop Keanu Reeves jumps out of a plane after bank robber Patrick Swayze, even though Keanu doesn't even have a parachute on. Keanu manages to catch up with Patrick in the air. They end up tangled up together, arms and legs wrapped around each other and faces inches apart while free-falling towards earth. It plays like lovers willing to die for each other.

by Anonymousreply 10009/05/2012

[quote]Louis and Lestat weren't bros. They had a child together for fucks sake (with whom they of course also had sexual subtext). I remember reading a rant by a Tom Cruise fangirl, how gross that film was and how hot it would have been if he bit a woman like he bit Louis

Lestat wanted Louis for his companion, Claudia made that statement in the film. Otherwise, Lestat would have picked a female for his companion. Lestat also wanted the reporter (Christian Slater) toward the end of the film. Lestat was clearly gay or bi.

by Anonymousreply 10109/05/2012

"It's clearly been a while since you read Anne Rice"

You're damned right! Her writing is trash.

Ann Rice is primarily responsible for making vampires into glamorous desirable sex symbols. Before she came upon the scene vampires were soulless monsters, scary, repulsive creatures with red eyes, corpse white skin and foul breath. They sure as hell weren't dreamboats! They had a hypnotic power to lull their victim into a strange, vaguely sexual trance in order to subdue them, but there was no actual sex involved. The penetrating of the fangs and the sucking of the blood was the "sex." Of course all that's changed now. Vampire are no longers monsters; they're as human-looking as anybody else and they have intercourse and kiss (now vampires have kissing sweet breath) and fall in love and have babies just like your average Joe Shmoe next door.

As a kid I loved vampire stories and movies. You didn't see them that often and the vampires were truly scary. Now there is that godawful Twilight franchise and there's been at least three vampire tv series, and it's all so ordinary and boring. Vampires aren't scary anymore. For horror fans, I think that's sad.

by Anonymousreply 10209/05/2012

Star Wars. It was clear that Solo was having hot monkey sex with Chewbacca.

by Anonymousreply 10309/05/2012

"The Birds"

by Anonymousreply 10409/05/2012

There was all kinds of gay subtext in Point Break. Many say it was the gayest film Reeves ever made.

by Anonymousreply 10509/05/2012

The Phantom Menace: Qui Gon and young Obi-Wan, more than padawan and master.

by Anonymousreply 10609/05/2012

Anyone who thinks Anne Rice was responsible for making vampires sexy is ignoring a lot of history.

Vampires have always been a sexual metaphor.

Back in the day, Bela Lugosi was considered quite sexy. No, I don't see it, but he was considered very handsome.

So was Christopher Lee.

Did you even see Frank Langella's Dracula?

Rice just added a bit of homoeroticism to the mix. Vampires -- with the exception of Nosferatu -- were always supposed to be seductive and sexual.

by Anonymousreply 10709/05/2012

I am watching "The Razor's Edge" - big subtext between Webb and Herbert Marshall's characters.

by Anonymousreply 10809/09/2012

Midnight Cowboy.

by Anonymousreply 10909/09/2012

The movie "The Eagle" with Channing Tatum and Jamie Bell inspired an LJ person to dissect it for subtext.

That person's post is the first place that I came across the term "no heterosexual explanation" applied to instances of gay subtext.

by Anonymousreply 11009/10/2012

[R31] Completely agree about Louis and Armand. Plus, they would have been a hot couple in the film, hotter than Louis/Lestat imo.

by Anonymousreply 11109/19/2012

Fried Green Tomatoes FTW

by Anonymousreply 11209/19/2012

Showgirls

"I love your nails, maybe I'll let you do mine sometime..."

by Anonymousreply 11309/19/2012

Times Square

by Anonymousreply 11409/19/2012

Deliverance. And not for the "squeal like a pig" scene. There is something between Burt Reynolds character and John Voight's. I cant quite remember but I think they implied that something occurred on a past trip they two took, something that Voight's character is trying to avoid. Reynold's character seems more the predator, asking him suggestively at one point why Voight thinks he takes him on these trips.

Some people see a gay subtext in Casablanca between Louis and Rick, albeit one-sided. Louis at one point says something like if he were a woman he would want to marry Rick. Rains is so good in the part, and he does sort of seem to play it as if the Captain has something of a man-crush on Rick. Louis also takes a lot of risks for Rick and in the end, its the two of them that go off together, starting what is hoped a "beautiful friendship."

by Anonymousreply 11501/04/2013

X-Men movies. Especially X-Men First Class is almost a love story between Eric and Charles (Magneto and Professor X).

by Anonymousreply 11601/06/2013

Times Square allegedly had the relationship more explicit before the censors had it chopped out. That's why there are some parts that lack continuity or context.

Unfortunately, the original footage is lost. I would love to see it!

by Anonymousreply 11701/06/2013
Need more help? Click Here.