Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Janet Leigh v. Meryl Streep

Janet Leigh: Touch of Evil, Manchurian Candidate, and Psycho.

Meryl: Mamma Mia

Who will be remembered in 50 years?

by Anonymousreply 16805/07/2015

Janet Leigh is forgotten already pretty much...so

by Anonymousreply 109/01/2012

Streep has been in numerous films, but hardly any of them are memorable. It's not her fault, of course, that she hasn't appeared in any film classics and that her films seem dated after a decade or two.

by Anonymousreply 209/01/2012

are there any classic films made in the last few decades that will be remembered? name them

by Anonymousreply 309/02/2012

Meryl loon @ R1/3

by Anonymousreply 409/02/2012

The three Janet Leigh films are all classics, it's true. I've heard the idea that Meryl Streep hasn't appeared in any memorable films but that's overstating the case. They haven't all been winners, but there have been some that have stood the test of time. Look at The Deer Hunter and Manhattan.

by Anonymousreply 509/02/2012

They are very different actresses. And btw, Streep was in the remake of The Manchurian Candidate.

by Anonymousreply 609/02/2012

What?

Meryl: 3 Oscars, 17 nominations; 8 Golden Globes; 26 nominations; more nominations in both categories than any actor in the history of acting.

Deer Hunter, Manhattan, Kramer v Kramer, French Lieutenant's Woman, Sophie's Choice, Silkwood, Out of Africa, Bridges of Madison County, The Iron Lady...

And Janet Fucking Leigh is "bigger" because of the Psycho shower scene (and whatever the others you named were)?

by Anonymousreply 809/02/2012

I saw Psycho again recently after a gap of 20 or so years and it was totally stunning and new and yes Janet was amazing in it, and should have been nominated as a leading performance. Psycho and the Welles and Frankenheimer films will always be remembered - as already said Meryl's movies only last a decade or so - the good ones. I have no interest in lots of her films.

by Anonymousreply 909/02/2012

Meryl's problem is that she's often better than the films she stars in. Let's face it, few of her films are classics. And the bulk of her best films were made in the late 70s and a good part of the 80s. Her career sorta parallels Greta Garbo who made several classics but she often elevated many of her projects simply with her presence. Without Garbo who would remember Mata Hari?

Janet on the other hand was lucky enough to star in those 3 true classics. But she made tons of forgettable films as well, many with Tony Curtis.

by Anonymousreply 1009/02/2012

Apart from those 3 classics Janet was a 50s leading lady in lots of good films like The Vikings, and lots of forgettable/dreadful ones like Prince Valiant. She and Curtis will be best remembered for Psycho and Some Like it Hot.

by Anonymousreply 1109/02/2012

Meryl's best (or best known) films are probably French Lieutenants Woman and Sophie's Choice (though I never wanted to see it). Silkwood and the dingo movie were big too - from that era when she was making note-worthy movies.

Deer Hunter and Manhattan are not Meryl films as such, she just happens to be in them. I had no intertest in seeing Out of Africa either (with Redford totally miscast). I don't do Clint movies so I never saw Bridges of Madison County. She makes so many movies though that some are hit and miss. Dancing at Lughnasa is a nice little movie, but it is already forgotten. We were amused by Mamma Mia of course but no thanks to the Iron Lady ! Its Complicated was fun too.

by Anonymousreply 1209/02/2012

R8, Meryl Streep may be great, but the issue is whether she has done any truly memorable films. At this point I don't think even Meryl herself remembers "The French Lieutenant's Woman."

And her various Oscar nominations and wins don't necessarily mean she'll be widely remembered. Luise Rainer won two in a row and now she's memorable mostly for screwing up the annual DataLounge death pool. And Greer Garson broke a record for most nominations in a row, but few know of her anymore, and even fewer watch her films.

Streep may be a great actress, but her filmography contains a whole lot of Mrs. Minivers but no Casablancas. And for someone with her talent, it really should.

by Anonymousreply 1309/02/2012

French Lieut's Woman and Sophie's Choice or Out Of Africa were obviously popular hits in their time and are well-regarded films regularly aired on cable channels (frau's favourites?) but they are not bracketed with Hollywood classics like Psycho.

by Anonymousreply 1409/02/2012

Touch of Evil is Orson Wells' movie, Psycho is Hitchcock's and Perkin's, and Manchurian Candidate is Angela Lansbury's and Laurence Harvey's movie.

None of these movie's owe their greatness to Leigh.

In addition to the movies already mentioned, Streep will certainly (and rightly) be remembered for her multiple performances in Angels in America.

by Anonymousreply 1509/02/2012

[quoteDeer Hunter, Manhattan, Kramer v Kramer, French Lieutenant's Woman, Sophie's Choice, Silkwood, Out of Africa, Bridges of Madison County, The Iron Lady...

The Iron Lady? Really? One maybe two of those movies would qualify as classics.

by Anonymousreply 1609/02/2012

Oh goodie. Another Meryl thread. Shouldn't we start numbering these like the Footballers in Love, and the Twi-hards stuff?

by Anonymousreply 1709/02/2012

[quote]Streep was in the remake of The Manchurian Candidate.

One of the worst movies ever made, and one of her most embarrassing performances.

by Anonymousreply 1809/02/2012

[quote]None of these movie's owe their greatness to Leigh

Disagree with that, certainly with Psycho. Janet's performance in it is pitch perfect. She's extremely important. She propels the movie. Once she dies, the film becomes unbalanced. Francois Truffaut even mentioned this directly to Hitchcock in his interview book with Hitch. Truffaut said the film was lopsided: the scenes with Janet were fascinating and the scenes after Janet is killed are flat. He said that once Janet is gone, there's a big gap that's never replaced, certainly not by Vera Miles or John Gavin. Hitch actually agreed with him.

by Anonymousreply 1909/02/2012

Silkwood is still a great film, if not quite a classic. Sophie's choice hasn't aged well. Dingo Ate My Baby is still a good little movie, but again, not great.

Out of Africa would be a great movie if someone good had played Fynch-Hatten. Redford was awful. Streep was terrific.

The Devil Wears Prada will probably age well, but again, a good but not great film.

by Anonymousreply 2009/02/2012

Angels in America is already fading from people's minds. It'll be totally forgotten in another five years.

by Anonymousreply 2109/02/2012

I bought the dvd of Angels in America but never got around to seeing it, its still on the shelf. Maybe I should put 6 hours aside and catch up ...

by Anonymousreply 2209/02/2012

Leigh has said in interviews that Hitch called her in to discuss PSYCHO and told her he knew she was a good actress and set out what he wanted from her in his camera set-ups and left the creation of the character to her, and she certainly delivers. They dressed her like an ordindary secretary and she dominates that first 40 or so minutes. 50 years later its still stunning. I don't really think Meryl's Mrs Thatcher impersonation will still be discussed in the future ...

by Anonymousreply 2309/02/2012

Actually Psycho bored me silly the last time I tried to watch it. I prefer the sequels, except the last one which isn't so hot (though the fire at the end is cool.)

by Anonymousreply 2409/02/2012

Your question OP is super silly so i won't answer it. Instead i'll send some photos of Janet Leigh just for the fun of it.

Janet Leigh taking a break on the set of "The Romance of Rosy Ridge".

by Anonymousreply 2512/27/2012

Cordial and breezy Janet!

by Anonymousreply 2612/27/2012

For Streep I think first of Kramer v Kramer, Out of Africa, and Silkwood.

by Anonymousreply 2712/27/2012

Yup. You have to come to DL to find a question like this one.

Tune in next week when OP asks: Pia Zadora v. Geraldine Page?

by Anonymousreply 2812/27/2012

Would someone please start a thread:

"Trish Van Devere vs. Meryl Streep"

Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 2912/27/2012

M will be remembered as a great actress, even if people can't name a film she's in.

by Anonymousreply 3012/27/2012

Janet Leigh with her husband asshole Tony Curtis and with Orson Welles

by Anonymousreply 3112/27/2012

Wonderful Janet Leigh in the great Orson Welles film 'Touch of Evil'

by Anonymousreply 3212/27/2012

So there are lesbian rumors for that beauty too (Janet Leigh) Why so? Anybody knows

by Anonymousreply 3312/27/2012

Maybe both of them.

by Anonymousreply 3412/27/2012

The important question that hasn't yet been answered is what films of the past 30 years or so would you all consider classics?

What female roles of those years in those films did Meryl miss?

I'll be curious to read the answers.

by Anonymousreply 3512/27/2012

R34 yes, i know...

by Anonymousreply 3612/27/2012

[quote]The important question that hasn't yet been answered is what films of the past 30 years or so would you all consider classics?

The problem is, the eldergays around here who ask such questions will never, ever take any of the answers seriously. It's pointless. So, yes, eldergay. You are correct. There have been no true classic films since, say, 1982. Also, music and TV and all other pop culture stopped being interesting at whatever year you deem. You happy?

by Anonymousreply 3712/27/2012

R37! Be more tender with your papas!

by Anonymousreply 3812/27/2012

[quote]Angels in America is already fading from people's minds. It'll be totally forgotten in another five years.

And that's a shame because it's a great film and features one of Streep's acting triumphs. I really feel that, had it been released theatrically instead of on HBO, she would have been a lock for the Best Actress Oscar that year.

by Anonymousreply 3912/27/2012

Leigh was a glamorous movie star from Hollywood's golden age. Streep is a self-important "actress" from Hollywood's "70's rebel" era until now. She came of age in the "anti-Hollywood" era. Leigh's only training was on the MGM lot, after Norma Shearer discovered her and brought her to L.B. Mayer's attention. Streep has scads more formal acting training and has had a much wider range of roles and opportunities. One cannot compare them, really. Apples and oranges.

by Anonymousreply 4012/27/2012

I liked Doubt, Devil wears Prada, and Postcards from the Edge.

by Anonymousreply 4112/27/2012

Will Devil Wears Prada be a classic 20 or 30 years hence?

by Anonymousreply 4212/27/2012

'Angels in America' is a masterpiece. No, it can't fade away...it will return again.

by Anonymousreply 4312/27/2012

'Touch of Evil' is one of my favourite movies.

God i sent this message to another thread before.

Sorry if you read it again in here but this is where it belongs.

by Anonymousreply 4412/27/2012

This is like Eileen Fulton v Erika Slezak.

by Anonymousreply 4512/27/2012

Meryl will be remembered. I can't imagine Janet Leigh playing Ethel Rosenberg. Or Sophie. I still can't bring myself to rent that new one with Tommy Lee Jones though. I heard she gives him head in a movie theater.

by Anonymousreply 4612/27/2012

Of course there have been classics since 1982. Honestly, you have to wonder about who posts here.

Classics from the 80's

*Raging Bull *Sophie's Choice (for Streep's performance) *Atlantic City (cult classic) *Platoon (undeserved classic) *ET (Holiday classic--children's classic)

Classics from the 90's *Goodfellas *Saving Private Ryan *Forrest Gump (undeserved classic) *The Usual Suspects (cult classic; overrated, but fun) *The Shawshank Redemption (cult classic) *Remember the Titans (teen classic)

Classics of the past decade *The Departed *The Notebook (teen classic) *The Toy Story films (overrated) *Mamma Mia! (camp classic) *There Will Be Blood (bona fide classic, best film of the decade)

Leigh is very good. Streep is very good. Comparing one to the other is like arguing about apples and oranges. *

by Anonymousreply 4712/27/2012

You forgot "Pulp Fiction" and "Gladiator." Just walk into a college classroom and mention either. Huge with guys.

by Anonymousreply 4812/27/2012

"Classics of the past decade *The Departed *The Notebook (teen classic) *The Toy Story films (overrated) *Mamma Mia! (camp classic) *There Will Be Blood (bona fide classic, best film of the decade)"

Maybe, No, No, No, Maybe

None are clearly classics, R47

by Anonymousreply 4912/27/2012

R47 is off her rocker.

by Anonymousreply 5012/27/2012

[quote]*Raging Bull *Sophie's Choice (for Streep's performance) *Atlantic City (cult classic) *Platoon (undeserved classic) *ET (Holiday classic--children's classic)

Nothing can make Sophie's Choice a classic. It's a wooden adaptation of a novel. Completely dated.

by Anonymousreply 5112/27/2012

The majority of DataLounge doesn't like anything that isn't at least 30 years old, so of course we're not going to be able to come up with modern classics. There has to be nostalgia, or DataLounge doesn't like it.

by Anonymousreply 5212/27/2012

[quote]There has to be nostalgia, or DataLounge doesn't like it.

No, Eldergays don't like it.

Or are we finally admitting they are all that's left here?

by Anonymousreply 5312/27/2012

Janet Leigh can't act.

That's the main difference.

Think of the current US directors most likely to make movies that will later be studied in film school - the Coen Bristol. Tarantino, PTAnderson, Scorcese, Spike Lee, Bigelow - and try to imagine any of them being interestsd in an actor like Streep, who does detailed, beautiful character work. Most actors who are like Streep - especially women - have found better outlets for their talent on TV. If Streep were not living inside The Mythology of Streep, she'd be starring in something like THE GOOD EIFE fight now. But she has been unique from the outset. She does need to make a movie with a great script and a director who is not a hack like that guy David Frankel, the horror, the horror.

by Anonymousreply 5412/27/2012

Meryl was the star or stole the show in her iconic roles. Janet was mostly supporting.

by Anonymousreply 5512/27/2012

Janet Leigh had sophistication, intelligence, sex appeal and a great voice. My father said she was it as far we he was concerned. I can see it. Hitchcock should've let her live.

by Anonymousreply 5612/27/2012

classic movies of the last 30 years with Meryl Streep?

Of course many people would choose a variety of Meryl Streep movies. My personal favorites would be A Cry in the Dark and Marvin's Room.

Among movies that might be considered classics of the last 30 years with female stars other than Meryl Streep, my favorites include:

Fargo (Frances McDormand), What's Love Got To Do With It? (Angela Bassett), Far From Heaven (Julianne Moore), The Ice Storm (Joan Allen, Sigourney Weaver), Persuasion (Amanda Root), Pride and Prejudice (Keira Knightley), Sense and Sensibility (Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet), Howard's End (Emma Thompson, Helena Bonham Carter), The Wings of the Dove (Helena Bonham Carter), The Reader (Kate Winslet), Heavenly Creatures (Kate Winslet, Melanie Lynskey), La Vie En Rose (Marion Cotillard), Away From Her (Julie Christie), The Grifters (Angelica Huston, Annette Bening), Manhattan Murder Mystery (Diane Keaton, Angelica Huston), Enemies: A Love Story (Angelica Huston, Lena Olin), Crimes and Misdemeanors (Mia Farrow, Angelica Huston), Broadway Danny Rose (Mia Farrow), Alice (Mia Farrow), The Purple Rose of Cairo (Mia Farrow), Volver (Penelope Cruz), The Others (Nicole Kidman), Ghost World (Thora Birch, Scarlett Johannsen), Lost in Translation (Scarlett Johannsen), Closer (Julia Roberts, Natalie Portman), Amour (Emmanuelle Riva, Isabelle Huppert), Story of Women (Isabelle Huppert), Swimming Pool (Charlotte Rampling), Eight Women (Catherine Deneuve, Fanny Ardant, Isabelle Huppert, etc.), Melancholia (Kirsten Dunst, Charlotte Gainsbourgh), Raise the Red Lantern (Gong Li), Being Julia (Annette Bening), Mulholland Drive (Naomi Watts), Central Station (Fernanda Montenegro), Moonstruck (Cher), The Kids Are Alright (Annette Bening, Julianne Moore), Monster (Charlize Theron, Christina Ricci), Boys Don't Cry (Hillary Swank, Chloe Sevigny), Chicago (Renee Zelwegger, Catherine Zeta Jones), Mrs. Brown (Judi Dench), Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Zhiyi Yang, Michelle Yeoh), We Need to Talk About Kevin (Tilda Swinton), The Deep End (Tilda Swinton), Elizabeth (Cate Blanchett)

by Anonymousreply 5712/27/2012

That's a great list of smart films from the last 30 years r57. But I would say that at least 1/2 of them are no more considered classics than many of Mery's movies.

Then we might subtract the Woody Allen films that starred Mia Farrow and the Coen Bros. Fargo with wife Fran McDormand.

And the British, French, Spanish and Chinese (!) films that had exclusively foreign casts.

Meryl is at least 10 years older than most of the other actreses you mention, like Julianne Moore, Renee Zelwegger, Charlize Theron, Scarlett Johanssen, etc.

I think only Sigourney Weaver, Joan Allen and Annette Bening might have stolen one great role each that Meryl could have done, though are those films really classics any more than Sophie's Choice or Silkwood?

I'm only making the point that Meryl didn't miss out on getting cast in any classic movies

So I would ask once again, what classic movie might she have been cast but wasn't?

by Anonymousreply 5812/27/2012

more: Dangerous Liaisons (Glenn Close, MIchelle Pfeiffer), Secrets and Lies (Brenda Blethyn, Marianne Jean Baptiste),Dolores Claiborne (Kathy Bates, Jennifer Jason Leigh), Misery (Kathy Bates), All About My Mother (Cecilia Roth, Marisa Paredes, Penelope Cruz), The Skin I Live In (Elena Anaya), Inglorious Basterds (Melanie Laurent, Diane Kruger), Clueless (Alicia Silverstone), Bridesmaids (Kristin Wiig, Rose Byrne, Melissa McCarthy, Maya Rudolph), The Upside of Anger (Joan Allen), Amelie (Audre Tatou), The Unbearable Lightness of Being (Juliette Binoche, Lena Olin), Enchanted April (Miranda Richardson, Polly Walker, Josie Lawrence, Joan Plowright), Baby Boom (Diane Keaton), Blue Velvet (Isabella Rossellini, Laura Dern), Smooth Talk (Laura Dern), Walk the Line (Reese Witherspoon), Legally Blonde (Reese Witherspoon), Mother (Debbie Reynolds), Terms of Endearment (Shirley Maclaine, Debra Winger), Victor Victoria (Julie Andrews, Leslie Ann Warren), Happy Go Lucky (Sally Hawkins), Places in the Heart (Sally Field), Peggy Sue Got Married (Kathleen Turner), Camille Claudel (Isabelle Adjani), The Official Story (Norma Aleandro), Mr. and Mrs. Bridge (Joanne Woodward), Misery (Kathy Bates), The Remains of the Day (Emma Thompson), Shadowlands (Debra Winger), Afterglow (Julie Christie), Monster's Ball (Halle Berry), American Beauty (Annette Bening), Savages (Laura Linney), Kinsey (Laura Linney), In the Bedroom (Sissy Spacek, Marisa Tomei), In America (Samantha Morton), Whale Rider (Keisha Castle-Hughes), Vera Drake (Imelda Staunton), Transamerica (Felicity Huffman), Juno (Ellen Page), Precious (Gabourey Sidibe), The Queen (Helen Mirren), Blue Valentine (Michelle Williams), Wendy and Lucy (Michelle Williams), Never Let Me Go (Carey Mulligan, Keira Knightley), The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (Naomi Rapace), Winter's Bone (Jennifer Lawrence0

by Anonymousreply 5912/27/2012

Meryl Streep was not in a great many famous films that she was age appropriate for and might have been cast in instead of one of her contemporaries: Terms of Endearment, An Officer and a Gentleman, Urban Cowboy, Shadowlands, Music Box, Frances, Missing, Sweet Dreams, The Queen, Enchanted April, Thelma and Louise, The River, Dead Man Walking, Peggy Sue Got Married, Misery, Dolores Claiborne, Primary Colors, The Remains of the Day, Baby Boom, Howard's End, Something's Got To Give, Sense and Sensibility, Dangerous Liaisons, Fatal Attraction,The Age of Innocence, In the Name of the Father, Vera Drake, Mrs. Brown, Evita (she would have been a hell of a lot better than Madonna by the way), Places in the Heart, Blue Velvet, 'night Mother, As Good As It Gets, Bull Durham, Passion Fish, On Golden Pond, Atlantic City, Reds, The Big Chill, Norma Rae, A Passage to India, Prizzi's Honor, Serial Mom, Witness, Hannah and her Sisters, Moonstruck, Broadcast News, The Piano, Gorillas in the Mist, Working Girl, The Accidental Tourist, Ghost, Bugsy, In the name of the Father, Death and the Maiden, The Fabulous Baker Boys

I have no idea whether she turned any of these roles down. She might have.

by Anonymousreply 6012/28/2012

ANET LEIGH 1956 Serious Look SP27A Scarf Long Hair Columbia MOVIE PHOTO

by Anonymousreply 6112/28/2012

Damn it Janet...

by Anonymousreply 6212/28/2012

JANET LEIGH #32 PHOTO POSTCARD ACTRESS HOLLYWOOD SEX SYMBOL FILM STARS MOVIES

by Anonymousreply 6312/28/2012

Psycho(1960)

Vintage photo Janet Leigh with John Gavin

by Anonymousreply 6412/28/2012

Lustful Janet

by Anonymousreply 6512/28/2012

I need to know more about Janet and the bisexual rumours that surrounded her. Anybody knows something about that?

by Anonymousreply 6612/29/2012

Oh, please no. I'm just a vassal ... a simple instrument. Oh no, really I can't accept your compliments.

by Anonymousreply 6712/29/2012

Meryl, you are a great actress but i want to know about Janet Leigh's sexuality and not yours.

by Anonymousreply 6812/29/2012

"Streep has been in numerous films, but hardly any of them are memorable"

Here are some of Steep's "unmemorable" films:

The Deer Hunter

Manhattan

Kramer Vs. Kramer

Sophie's Choice

Out of Africa

A Cry in the Dark

Silkwood

Marvin's Room

One True Thing

Adaptation

The Hours

The Devil Wears Prada

Doubt

Julia and Julia

by Anonymousreply 6912/29/2012

r69, I know you thought you were being helpful to the Streep cause, but your list inadvertently gives credence to the idea that she hasn't been in very many memorable films. She may have given nomination-worthy performances in each of the films (that in itself is debatable), but there's no way you're going to convince people that movies such as Marvin's Room, One True Thing, and Doubt are celluloid classics that will be watched decades to come.

From your list the only films I think will still be watched 50 years from now will be The Deer Hunter, Manhattan, and Adaptation. And she was a supporting actor in each of those.

I'm not a Meryl hater, by the way. I think she's a fine actor.

by Anonymousreply 7012/29/2012

Zzzzzzzzz.....

I want to know more about Janet!

by Anonymousreply 7112/29/2012

Janet has been immortalized with the recent release of Hitchcock with Scarlett Johansson playing Janet. Scarlett is getting great reviews for her portrayal of Janet.

So how many films as Meryl the actress been portrayed in? None.

Janet = win

by Anonymousreply 7212/29/2012

Sigourney always gave more compelling performances than Meryl anyways. Meryl impersonates - Sigourney acts.

by Anonymousreply 7312/29/2012

I too love Sigourney but she hammed it up over the top on that cable TV series last summer. she played the Secretary of State. I was so bummed by her performance since I am a huge fan.

by Anonymousreply 7412/29/2012

This Janet Leigh troll is unhinged. It's almost as bad as the Janet Jackson troll.

by Anonymousreply 7512/29/2012

Robert Wagner & Anjanette Comer in Banning (1967)

by Anonymousreply 7612/29/2012

Robert Wagner 'DON'T JUST STAND THERE'

by Anonymousreply 7712/29/2012

Oops lol wrong thread.

by Anonymousreply 7812/29/2012

Scarlett Johansson will never be me. What's going on with people today? I had class, some necessary humility and sex appeal, not just a pair of boobs that can act.

by Anonymousreply 7912/29/2012

Meryl's nickname at Yale Drama School was "sugartits".

by Anonymousreply 8012/29/2012

Can you imagine Meryl playing Ripley?

by Anonymousreply 8112/29/2012

I would love to see Janet Leigh in an intense lesbian drama. Wouldn't you?

by Anonymousreply 8212/29/2012

I believe I would have used either a Rumanian or Slovak accent for that particular character.

by Anonymousreply 8312/29/2012

I wanted to fuck Lindsay while we were shooting 'A Prairie Home Companion'. I felt lust for her.

by Anonymousreply 8412/29/2012

Girls would you love to sleep with Janet Leigh?

Be honest sluts!

by Anonymousreply 8512/30/2012

However ... It's impossible to imagine Meryl Streep playing Marion Crane in Psycho ... or Susan Vargas in Touch of Evil ... It would be very boring! I think Leigh really was immortalized in the hands of Hitchcock!

by Anonymousreply 8602/04/2013

Meryl is a genius actress. Janet is a subtle goddess.

by Anonymousreply 8702/04/2013

i like both of them. However as a woman Janet was far more sexy than brilliant Meryl is.

by Anonymousreply 8802/15/2013

Poor Janet Leigh. Scarlett Johansson portrayed you in 'Hitchcock'. She could not be you darling. Only the wig she was wearing reminded us that she was a poor a soooo poor imitation of you lady.

by Anonymousreply 8902/18/2013

Polly Bergen with Janet Leigh...

by Anonymousreply 9002/18/2013

Janet Leigh, daughter Kelly and doggies

Lovely!

by Anonymousreply 9102/18/2013

That's one way to look at it. Here's another:

Meryl Streep: A Cry in the Dark, Adaptation, Silkwood

Janet Leigh: Who Was That Lady?

by Anonymousreply 9202/18/2013

Janet Leigh with Rosemary Clooney!

by Anonymousreply 9302/18/2013

Janet Leigh in 'The Romance of Rosy Ridge' (1947)

Stunning woman!

by Anonymousreply 9402/18/2013

So, who portrayed me you said? Don't make me laugh!

by Anonymousreply 9502/18/2013

Fashion expert Anita Colby dedicates a copy of her Beauty Book to Janet Leigh

by Anonymousreply 9602/18/2013

Voluptuous baby Janet Leigh in dreams...

by Anonymousreply 9702/18/2013

Pony-tailed actress Janet Leigh extending her leg on dancing barre, as dancer Marge Champion prepares her for dancing role in RKO’s film “Two Tickets to Broadway”, 1950

by Anonymousreply 9802/18/2013

OMG! This is very sexy! I swear!

Lol...

by Anonymousreply 9902/18/2013

Janet Leigh also wrote two books.

'The Dream Factory' (novel) (Mira, 2002)

and 'There Really Was a Hollywood' (Autobiography) (Doubleday, 1984)

by Anonymousreply 10002/18/2013

Post for Janet bitches!

by Anonymousreply 10102/18/2013

Post for Janet fuckin' bitches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 10202/18/2013

Meow....meow....post for Janet ffs!

by Anonymousreply 10302/18/2013

Call Janet...and speak with her.

by Anonymousreply 10402/18/2013

Pay your tribute to Janet lousy people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 10502/18/2013

There is noooooo similarity! That's a sacrilege!

by Anonymousreply 10602/18/2013

I'm through with you ignorant people if you don't comment on Janet Leigh. I mean it!

by Anonymousreply 10702/18/2013

R107 thank you for the photos. I enjoyed them a lot and it goes without question that Janet was a prominent actress and beauty!

by Anonymousreply 10802/20/2013

R108 at least you liked them, and i'm glad. Guys you infuriated me by not sending more about wonderful Janet Leigh.

I appreciated her even more when i read she turned down Howard Hughes. That was gutsy of her and sweet in a a way...because even women like Bette Davis or Katharine Hepburn didn't turn down Hughes.

Janet Leigh a LADY.

by Anonymousreply 10902/26/2013

"The Manchurian Candidate" is a dated relic known mainly for its casting of a 36-year-old Angela Lansbury as the mother of 33-year-old Laurence Harvey. "Touch of Evil" is an Orson Welles film that's dated and almost camp. "Psycho" is a Hitchcock film. None of these are known as a "Janet Leigh picture."

Quite a few of the movies Streep is in are "Streep films." "The French Lieutenant's Woman," "Sophie's Choice," "Silkwood," "Out of Africa," "A Cry in the Dark," "The Devil Wears Prada," "Julie & Julia," "The Iron Lady," etc., etc.

by Anonymousreply 11002/26/2013

R110 i'm so bored to contradict you, you are unfair though.

Below there is one more photo with charismatic and sexy Janet Leigh

by Anonymousreply 11103/01/2013

Janet Leigh was memorable three times,but too was one great beauty..she was sensual and One Hollywood StaR. Meryl is only one good actress .

by Anonymousreply 11203/11/2013

Alfred Hitchock directing John Gavin & Janet Leigh on the set of Psycho (1960)

by Anonymousreply 11303/13/2013

Janet Leigh & Charlton Heston in Touch of Evil (1956)

Oh Janet...

by Anonymousreply 11403/13/2013

Janet Leigh is an icon. That half-hour or so that she's in "Psycho" cemented her pop culture status. Even if you don't know exactly of her, chances are you DO know of "That lady who was stabbed in the shower in 'Psycho'."

by Anonymousreply 11503/13/2013

Janet's rack alone makes her the clear winner. She had one of the best sets of breasts in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 11603/13/2013

Lol, what a lovely mind you have R116. Adorable!

Yes she had nice tits, indeed anyway.

by Anonymousreply 11703/13/2013

Janet seems pleased...you think she is making psycho-thoughts? Hmm...

by Anonymousreply 11803/13/2013

Tony Curtis took a few hours off from filming Trapeze in Paris to see wife Janet Leigh on the set of Safari in London(1955-56)

I won't bitch about it, but i think it's about time Dataloungers made a thread for Janet Leigh. We should transfer the photos we posted here and add new ones in a new thread that will be an appreciation thread for Janet. It would be lovely. We should collect photos and stuff about this beautiful and classy actress. Yep!

Don't bitch about it please, just be cool with it.

by Anonymousreply 11907/06/2013

A 1965 portrait of Janet

by Anonymousreply 12007/08/2013

Was Janet a lesbian? There are persistent rumors about her. So, was she in the closet? Nice tits she had.

by Anonymousreply 12101/21/2014

I love Janet. She was so sexy, it's always a pleasure looking at her in her movies. It's so refreshing! She oozed sexiness, she was so delicate and her voice was so attractive as well. Aren't you a bit infatuated with Janet as well? What a cute, sophisticated and sexy broad!

by Anonymousreply 12205/01/2014

Meryl has a longer nose. She'll be remembered.

by Anonymousreply 12305/01/2014

[quote]R121

I've never heard nor read anything about Janet Leigh having been anything other than straight. Tony Curtis, on the other hand I had heard was bi-sexual. I met him once about 10,15 years ago and he came across to me as having some kind of interest in men. He was checking me out, asking me questions. My date (a woman) noticed it also. She thought it amusing.

by Anonymousreply 12405/01/2014

Yeah, Janet Leigh was very yummy and breezy.

by Anonymousreply 12505/01/2014

Kelt, i don't think Tony was gay. I have read his autobiography and he comes out as a narcissistic man, but not gay. He was always very handsome and so people called him gay, because maybe he was much too handsome and resilient for their standards. However, if he was gay, would he marry a woman who was 46 years younger than him? Actually, all of his wives were much younger than him. That doesn't sound very gay of him. However, i think that Tony was the kind of man who really enjoyed to be liked by both sexes. Maybe he provoked that too, but that doesn't make him gay. My female intuition says that it is more likely Janet to be bisexual than Tony. By the way, really you haven't read anything about Janet Leigh's bisexuality? There are rumors about her out there. I think that Janet was very cautious with her image, but i bet she could be flirtatious with a woman despite that.

Beautiful photo of Janet, R125!

by Anonymousreply 12605/01/2014

Janet was delightful in The Manchurian Candidate. It was a small role, but she made it memorable.

Still, she does not have the same longevity of a career as M.

by Anonymousreply 12705/01/2014

Of course Streep will be remembered. She is of great interest and threads on DataLounge are constantly started about her. The threads also end up repeating various films on her resume. She has more Oscar nominations than any other actor, 3 wins, and has been a film star for over 35 years. Every time that someone tries to diminish her achievements, they simply encourage more and more dialogue about her.

She will be remembered as a great actress who was fully embraced by the public as a movie star. Classics that have been seen all over world: Kramer vs. Kramer, Manhattan, Sophie’s Choice, Silkwood, Out of Africa, Death Becomes Her, Bridges of Madison County, Angels in America, Devil Wears Prada, Mamma Mia! (not great but well loved), Julie and Julia, even It’s Complicated is funny. I just don’t get the hate on her. Maybe gay men are inherently jealous of women.

Janet Leigh will be remembered because of Psycho, not because she was a great actress. I fully support her fans, however, because life is short and the tendency to flame famous actors is tired.

by Anonymousreply 12805/01/2014

*cuddles Kelt, waiting for his repartee

by Anonymousreply 12905/01/2014

R128, you are totally clueless about Janet Leigh's career. She has played in many great movies! Do your research confused babe!

by Anonymousreply 13005/01/2014

[quote]R126

I never thought Tony Curtis was gay either. I think that he had some interest in the same sex.

by Anonymousreply 13105/01/2014

[quote]R129

Nothing like that at all but you know how you can tell when someone is interested in you ?

He wasn't hitting on me per se. Just some kind of interest there.

Another thing. I'm short: 5'8" (that's an actual 68" gents). I towered over him. I had on loafers. Curtis was wearing shower togs; kid you not & it was winter. Maybe he thought he was one of those 20 somethings who were sporting those all the time for a while.

by Anonymousreply 13205/01/2014

Rare photo of Janet Leigh with Tony Curtis during the filming of 'The Vikings'.

They both seem unhappy in this photo. Tony was such a big ass. Poor Janet...

by Anonymousreply 13305/05/2014

Curtis always had a complex of inferiority. Janet was too much for him. At the beginning he was attracted to it and later he couldn't stand Janet's standards. He was a cruel bastard. In his autobiography he says, that one day as Janet was sitting in front of her boudoir mirror,silently crying and fixing her makeup, she suddenly open up a bottle and took a handful of red pills. Curtis, then, immediately hit her on the back and fortunately most of the pills were out of her stomach. Curtis wrote, that after that this suicide attempt of Janet was the last straw! Then he realized that their marriage was over. Fucking, insenistive prick! Men like him are so yuck!

by Anonymousreply 13405/05/2014

R134, Janet was not exactly a saint. After Psycho, she took to drinking, because she couldn't stand all the frenetic attention she was given suddenly by the media, because of the murder movie scene and i guess because her personal life was not going well.

I remember that Tony Curtis wrote that when Janet was drinking she could go ballistic.

by Anonymousreply 13505/05/2014

Have I mentioned how much I adore Janet Leigh?

One is of course drawn to Meryl. It's always a surprise to see what Dollar General curtain she's fashioned into a dress.

by Anonymousreply 13605/05/2014

So true R136.

by Anonymousreply 13705/05/2014

To live long in the public memory and to be appreciated by future generations, you really have to be in GREAT movies, classics. That is why Janet Leigh is known today by film buffs, she was in some of the most seminal movies of the 20th century.

I don't think any of the films Streep has made will be regarded as a classic in the decades. I think in general her early performances are her best but those films don't really stand on their own.

by Anonymousreply 13805/05/2014

Streep, of course, is in a class by herself, but it's not one stamped with the term "working actress known for being creatively used by brilliant directors to unexpected and sometimes dazzling ends."

Leigh could project a naturalness that Streep never has mastered. It's simply not in her stylistic bag of tricks. Streep is almost always fascinating, and often generous, and capable of being a great team player/ensemble member, but her presence is such that you can't help but notice the tricks, even the ones designed carefully to look like "no tricks."

Leigh, being in most ways a less gifted, less creative actress on her own, seemed believable and fragile and strange-yet-normal - and often was beautiful in the process. You believe her enjoyment of sex, her psychological pain, her worry, her humor, her desire - but usually it was the way it seemed to be a part of Miss Leigh that made it stimulating - it's like eavesdropping. That's how I feel about her in PSYCHO and even TOUCH OF EVIL - a kind of authentic presence that at times is almost embarrassing to watch.

Streep has embarrassed me, too, but for different reasons. Who can make it through SOPHIE'S CHOICE or FRENCH LIEUTENANT'S WOMAN now without cringing.

Maybe what it comes down to is that camera-awareness. Streep plays to the camera with all her might. Actresses like Leigh play in spite of the camera - that's why at times their performances are interesting, given they are well managed and well cast.

by Anonymousreply 13905/05/2014

R135, nobody is a saint and nobody is going to be one in this life...

In one of her interviews when asked she said:"Did Mr. Hitchcock have a dirty mind? Yes, and so do I, doesn't everybody?"

Janet Leigh was indeed too much for Curtis. Unlike him, she was a woman who had culture and many sensitivities. She had the grace not to badmouth others and yet to be very interesting and sexy without seem phony and a calculated bitch. On the contrary, Curtis by writing all his indiscreet ballshit in his book, seems phony and a joke.

Janet didn't trash Curtis in her book, or in any of her interviews. About the end of the marriage to him she said: “Until the crowning series of (movie) successes, we were fairly solid. I think that the degree of success just sort of changed our paths. I can't speak for him, obviously, but I just think that was the beginning. When you go down different paths, there are different temptations, different options.”

“It was ready to break. It just happened that it broke at that time — with Christine.”

For those who wonder from which movie is the photo below, stop wondering. It's not from a movie, it's from the TV series 'Columbo'. Janet appeared in the episode 'Forgotten Lady'.

by Anonymousreply 14005/05/2014

Streep's fame will be as the woman who was regarded as the BEST actress ever bad who ended by being a hammy joke who could do accents.

Her performances are already dating even as we speak,

by Anonymousreply 14105/05/2014

Do you think that Kirk wanted to bone Janet during the shooting of 'The Vikings'?

Her tits were marvelous. I wouldn't blame him.

by Anonymousreply 14205/03/2015

Janet with Judy Garland.

by Anonymousreply 14305/03/2015

Best man Jerry Lewis kissing Janet Leigh at her wedding to Tony Curtis.

by Anonymousreply 14405/03/2015

[quote]Who will be remembered in 50 years?

JUDY!

by Anonymousreply 14505/03/2015

Is r141 posting in English?

by Anonymousreply 14605/03/2015

Leigh had a much more limited career and fewer high points. Still, she was a in step with what the audience and studios wanted in the 50s and 60s. Streep will be a source of curiosity if only for all her accents and the durability of her career from "Deer Hunter" onward. She's had a more character driven career that someone from Leigh's generation or earlier never would have had. Playing characters in leading roles was a rarity until the 70s and it was the province of a small number of males like Paul Muni who made prestige pictures that weren't meant to make a lot of money.

by Anonymousreply 14705/03/2015

Janet Leigh told Jamie Lee Curtis that she did the memorable scene on the train in 'The Manchurian Candidate' the day she found out that Tony had filed for divorce.

Jamie Lee Curtis on her mother's body issues:

"I think the most complicated relationship my mother had, both loving and often cruel, was with her own body. Her face was undeniably beautiful, like a shot of something strong, and her body--that body was the chaser. She was intoxicating. Like anyone who becomes famous for what they look like, when that commodity starts to change, the relationship with it deteriorates. Her friends noted her slimness by calling her Bird Legs, and my mother was incredibly proud that she returned to her 20-inch waist mere weeks after pregnancies; she judged other actresses whose bodies grew and softened."

by Anonymousreply 14805/06/2015

I don't know anybody who dislikes Leigh. And I'm 100% gay and wouldn't mind waking up with those tits in my face. (Sorry Janet you don't deserve my crudeness but facts are facts.)

Streep on the other hand...

by Anonymousreply 14905/06/2015

Now that you focus on the amazing Janet Leigh, it's also interesting to read this passage from her autobiography There Really Was A Hollywood:

'Early poverty affected Tony and me differently, i believe he didn't want to be Bernie Schwartz any longer. I remained too much the plebian Jeanette Helen Morrison, and i was a constant reminder of the beginnings he would have liked to forget. Perhaps, Christine Kaufman provided the timely bridge to that other world-she was European, spoke various languages, and she knew only the new Tony Curtis.'

R149, yeah, Janet's breasts were spectacular indeed, and you seem cute, nice and cool~~~~

by Anonymousreply 15005/06/2015

Who the fuck is Janet Leigh?

by Anonymousreply 15105/06/2015

Meryl Streep.

No one under 50 has any idea who Janet Leigh is.

by Anonymousreply 15205/06/2015

Janet Leigh was more beautiful, sultry and feminine than Meryl and her voice was soooooo sexy, sweet and classy. Zip it, R151/R152, you are being a clown.

by Anonymousreply 15305/06/2015

I can believe there are idiots who've never exposed themselves to great movies like PSYCHO and MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE.

I just can't believe any self-respecting gay man would be one of them.

by Anonymousreply 15405/06/2015

People who care about film all know who Janet Leigh know who she is because she starred in three all time classics. The Manchurian Candidate is a classic film: the version Leigh starred in, that is.

The version Meryl did, well, it joins a long list of not so great titles Streep's career is littered with. Meryl will likely end up much less remembered than Janet Leigh in the long run because she's such a hammy overactor and she has no classic movies, except debatably The Deer Hunter.

by Anonymousreply 15505/06/2015

Outside of her presence on celluloid made 50+ yrs ago, Janet Leigh is unknown today.

She has no public persona, she is not visible, she's never quoted, nor interviewed nor ever appears on TV, therefore, she is not known by anyone under 50.

No one, esp me, is questioning how great Psycho or Manchurian Candidate were, but if you're not "out there" for more than a few years, you're forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 15605/06/2015

R143 was Janet a giant? She towers over Judy Garland in that picture, not to mention the lady direclty behind Judy.

by Anonymousreply 15705/06/2015

Hehe R157! No, she was not a giant. According to IMDB, Janet was 1.66 m tall.

It is that Judy was very short and it seemed to you that Janet was like a giant beside her! Judy was only 1.51 m tall.

by Anonymousreply 15805/06/2015

Well Bye Bye Birdie is a better movie than Mama Mia. And while Leigh is no Chita in the dancing department she's a helluva lot easier on the eyes in Panavision.

by Anonymousreply 15905/06/2015

Lots of tireseome old queens on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 16005/06/2015

[quote]As Eleanor Shaw, the overrated Streep is miscast. Early on, there’s a severely miscalculated scene—an apotheosis of bad acting, bad directing, and bad screenwriting—wherein Senator Shaw single-handedly convinces a roomful of kingmaker flunkies to anoint her son as a Vice-Presidential nominee. Streep, with tired eyes and joyless witchery, didn’t convince me. I couldn’t even believe that the others would buy her bill of goods, yet along with it they go. Streep rattles off empty dialogue in her trademark giggle, never more out of place, and her incompetence here gave me an entirely new appreciation for the genius of Angela Lansbury, who embodied this role to eerie perfection 42 years ago. About the only thing Streep does well is to convey a sense of Eleanor’s sublimated sexual desires for her son. She and Schreiber share a quasi-incestuous kiss that says something about control freak single moms and the hapless only child. But that revelation alone doesn’t justify this movie.

by Anonymousreply 16105/06/2015

Lolz, Tony Curtis was a major asshole and he had no remorses. One of his remarks was:

"They had movie magazines with headlines like, 'Tony is going with a teenager and his children are crying. If a marriage didn't work out, what are you sitting around for? But why was I being sacrificed like that? Didn't I have as much right as anyone else to search for my future and my companionship the way I wanted?"

Another of his comments about his children with Janet Leigh was:

"We're getting to the point where they realize I'm 83, so let's be friends. But they've got to stay out of my life if they come in bent and angry because I left their mother I don't know how long ago.

by Anonymousreply 16205/07/2015

OP, with your gift for cherry picking of facts, I have to ask. Do you work for the Republican National Committee?

by Anonymousreply 16305/07/2015

Don't forget Janet's astonishing turns in GWTW and Strretcar.

by Anonymousreply 16405/07/2015

"The truth is, I have few memories of my childhood and surprisingly few of her," Jamie Lee Curtis wrote.

The couple divorced in 1962. "Janet suffered public embarrassment as Tony [Curtis] chose a 17-year-old replacement, a German actress with whom he was working, and she felt the slings and arrows of tabloid gossip and innuendo," Curtis wrote.

The same year, Leigh married stockbroker Robert Brandt in Las Vegas, and they remained married until her death. "My mother persevered through it all and survived; I'm not sure if my sister and I did. There was no Demi-and-Bruce amicable divorce or joint family vacations for us. No love was left between them," Jamie Lee continued.

Growing up with a famous mother in Hollywood wasn't always easy for Curtis, though, and she never felt like the two bonded like a typical mother and daughter. "She took good care of me -- my needs were always met and she showed up to everything -- but there was no real intimacy. I think it was a generational issue as much as one of her own making, for many people my age have expressed a lack of connection with their parents," she said. "She belonged to the people when really she should have just been ours."

"My mother, a control freak till the very end, actually wrote into her will the opening line of what was to be her own memorial, a gathering of friends and family with photos and funny memories. I delivered the line, which was, 'Well, I bet she tripped on her way through the pearly gates,' a reference to her klutziness. People spoke of her tidiness, her sweetness, her strength, her beauty and, yes, her great talent," she said.

"My mother was the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. There are moments when I remember her beauty, unadorned, unposed, not in some artificial place like a set or a photo call but rather captured outdoors in nature, where she took my breath away. When those moments surface, I miss her the most."

by Anonymousreply 16505/07/2015

r161, that review makes me think of something that is rarely pointed out in any DL review of acting.

I have no idea if this really applies to Streep's performance in Manchurian, but it could.

Many times actors approach a performance in a particular way not because of their particular preferences for how a role should be played by because they are taking the direction given them. Often what we think are bad choices by an actor are bad choices by a director, made manifest through an actor just doing his or her job, which is trusting his or her director and collaborating with that direction.

by Anonymousreply 16605/07/2015

[quote]"We're getting to the point where they realize I'm 83, so let's be friends. But they've got to stay out of my life if they come in bent and angry because I left their mother I don't know how long ago.

He not only left Janet, but Jamie and her sister, as well. When Jamie was on Joy Behar's show 5 years ago, she flat out stated that she never saw her father growing up (after her parents divorced when she was 3) and they only made amends when she was well into adulthood.

by Anonymousreply 16705/07/2015

Hey, Datalounge i want to see 'House on Greenapple Road' Do you know anything about this site? Could i trust it and buy it? I'm very sceptical about it. I don't think i could risk it...any thoughts?

The problem is that the film does not exist in Amazon, otherwise i wouldn't discuss it.

by Anonymousreply 16805/07/2015
Need more help? Click Here.