Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Doctor Who

So what did we think about the season premier?

by Anonymousreply 19505/25/2013

where can i watch this online?

by Anonymousreply 109/01/2012

Someone please explain to me: I thought all the Daliks had been destroyed. So... what part of the entire story did I miss? How are they back in force like this?

by Anonymousreply 209/01/2012

I want a Rory!

R2, I didn't understand that either - were the Daleks destroyed further ahead in the time line?

by Anonymousreply 309/01/2012

I want to eat out the new companion and swallow her pussy hairs!

by Anonymousreply 409/01/2012

Well, that's the confusing bit, R3... I thought I understood the Dalek timeline, but I admit I'm not an OCD fan with an encylopedic knowledge of everything "Dr Who". So maybe I'm just confused, but I really thought that at THIS point, there were no more Daleks any more.

Time travel really complicates everything :-)

by Anonymousreply 509/01/2012

If the force field was impenetrable, how could the Doctor and companions transport there?

by Anonymousreply 609/01/2012

No, they weren't destroyed.

They were revived as villains in the fifth season of the series in 2010, with the episode "Victory of the Daleks" (see link below).

Then, in the big two-parter that ended the season, "The Pandorica Opens" and "The Big Bang," all of reality was cracking and the Daleks were turned to stone due to their history/creation being erased after an alliance of all the Doctor's enemies was formed, ending in his entrapment in the Pandorica.

In part 2, a stone Dalek was seen at a museum with the Pandorica, and was awakened when it was hit by the light of the Pandorica. It shot the Doctor, but due to its power being weak it was not a fatal shot. However, River Song, enraged and believing the Doctor to be dead, aimed her gun at the stone Dalek, knowing that its defences were weak. She later claimed to have killed the Dalek but this was not shown onscreen. By the end of the episode, the Doctor reversed the explosion of the TARDIS, so the alliance that trapped the Doctor was never formed, and the Daleks were still at large.

by Anonymousreply 709/02/2012

I didn't like it at all. For some reason couldn't get into it. To me it just looked like an hour long jump'n'run game. It didn't help me that I never cared for the Daleks to begin with.

by Anonymousreply 809/02/2012

I thought for Amy being a "model," she looked pretty rough. Weird since in real life, she's done a lot of heavily made up fashion shoots for interviews and advertising. Maybe the BBC doesn't have the money to do the lighting right, but she looked rode hard and put away wet, with a lot of mascara to cover her puffy eyes. The rumor last year was that she was doing a lot of heavy partying during an interview tour with Matt Smith in NY and elsewhere, promoting the show.

Rory, on the other hand, looks better than ever.

by Anonymousreply 909/02/2012

hi, is this online anywhere? i can't find it

by Anonymousreply 1009/02/2012

I actually figured out the ending only about half-way into it. It seemed too predictable to me, and the whole "human daleks" thing seemed too forced and convenient.

Just like the later use of the Borg in Star Trek made them so much less scary, I think this epsisode made the Daleks a lot less scary.

by Anonymousreply 1109/02/2012

It's on BBC America tonight.

by Anonymousreply 1209/02/2012

I thought it was fun and the new companion is awesome!

by Anonymousreply 1309/02/2012

...what new companion?

by Anonymousreply 1409/02/2012

Can you see it online anywhere?

by Anonymousreply 1509/02/2012

Terribly confusing. Mind you, I spent most of the time searching for a working livestream of the USWNT friendly so I didn't pay much attention. I think I'll have to watch it again on iPlayer.

by Anonymousreply 1609/02/2012

The actress who played the human dalek is playing the new companion, but the character she played last night is NOT the new companion....wibbly wobbly timey whimey stuff.

by Anonymousreply 1709/02/2012

I think that may have been my favorite episode with Eleven.

by Anonymousreply 1809/02/2012

[quote]The actress who played the human dalek is playing the new companion, but the character she played last night is NOT the new companion....wibbly wobbly timey whimey stuff.

They're getting rid of Amy Pond and Rory? Say it isn't so! I love them!

by Anonymousreply 1909/02/2012

Sorry, R19. One of the Williams is going to die in an encounter with the Weeping Angels in, I believe, episode 5.

by Anonymousreply 2009/02/2012

How is it there are human daleks?

by Anonymousreply 2109/02/2012

[quote]How is it there are human daleks?

Think of them like the Borg. They have their own race, but they have always been known to assimilate others.

by Anonymousreply 2209/02/2012

A TV-Recap...

by Anonymousreply 2309/03/2012

Thanks for posting the review. Is there any info on the ratings?

by Anonymousreply 2409/03/2012

No idea yet about ratings.

by Anonymousreply 2509/04/2012

R7, I'd like to date you. Are you available?

How did Torchwood: Miracle Day do in the ratings? It failed to impress as much as the last series. It felt fake and not part of the Who-verse though I liked two or three episodes.

by Anonymousreply 2609/04/2012

[quote]R7, I'd like to date you. Are you available?

Yuppers! I live in Florida. Is that a deal-breaker?

by Anonymousreply 2709/05/2012

I never found the Daleks all that scary to start with.

by Anonymousreply 2809/05/2012

What is most bothersome about the continued returns of the Daleks is how the extermination of the Daleks by Nine, along with Gallifrey as part of the massive destruction, was so key to who the new Dr. is.

It is that tragedy that defined Nine, sent him into a frenzy when one broken down Dalek showed up on Earth, and took a Void ship to bring them back.

Yeah, I know that it's part of the Whoniverse that nothing ever really goes away (I expect Sarah Jane to pop up again somehow), but destroying the entire race, including ALL the Timelords except for himself and the hidden Master to do it? Sure seems like a waste of a pretty awesome civilization if the Daleks keep turning up.

by Anonymousreply 2909/05/2012

I don't understand the need for the silly almost divorce plot in the first episode. To me it felt like a cheap gimmicky shock twist for the beginning of the season.

Totally got a Borg vibe right from the start of the rescue mission so the ending didn't really surprise me (especially with the Doctor obsessing about the milk issue).

Regarding the Daleks. Last season (or the season before?) there was a hilarious scene of Daleks having their drama entrance that looked like a mixture between a fashion runway show and a gay parade where they introduced new and improved Daleks who had a splash of color here and there.

r20, argh. SPOILER! so want to unread that post.

The new companion thing confuses and quite frankly annoys me given that the character is as of right now dead (and I hate those time reboot plots where everything bad gets undone and everything's a bad memory in a parallel universe).

There's something very sexy about Matt Smith even though he's one step away of being a bone faced forest troll. Rory is the 'Stiles' (Teen Wolf) of the show. Better sidekick than Amy imho who really looked quite unbelievable as model with that round moon face of hers (I almost wanted Rory to scream "I want a divorce because you are FAT, FAT, FAT!" while doing that black woman finger snap thing and then sashay away).

I was surprised that the first episode didn't have a 'this season' trailer with scenes from at least the first six episodes.

I assume Alex Kingston won't make a guest appearance since she's busy with Downton Abbey? Though they alluded to more adventures with her in the first episode of last season where she compared timeline notes with the Doctor.

by Anonymousreply 3009/05/2012

River Song is in at least the fifth episode, "The Angels Take Manhattan," which is Rory and Amy's last.

by Anonymousreply 3109/05/2012

R24 Ratings

BBC America : 1.555m, 0.60 A18-49

BBC1 UK : 6.4m - AI 89 - finals available next Monday but were already up 1m on Sunday night -most popular on iPlayer for 3 days (still in the Top 5 today).

by Anonymousreply 3209/05/2012

Arthur Darvill (aka Rory) on the cover of Gay Times magazine this month.

by Anonymousreply 3309/05/2012

Is there a place online to watch Dr Who?My cable provider doesn't carry BBC America.

by Anonymousreply 3409/05/2012

r34, i ultimately gave up finding it for free and got it for $1.99 on amazon

by Anonymousreply 3509/05/2012

Doctor Who’s season premiere delivered BBC AMERICA’s highest-rated telecast ever in Live + Same Day and #1 in cable in its time slot on Saturday, September 1

New York – September 5, 2012 – Before the summer officially came to a close, BBC AMERICA’s Doctor Who and COPPER earned record ratings for the channel. The all-new season of BBC AMERICA’s hit sci-fi series Doctor Who, which premiered on Saturday, September 1, delivered the channel’s highest-rated, most-watched telecast ever in Live + Same Day. Doctor Who delivered 1.555 million viewers and 723,000 A25-54. The series ranked #1 in cable, excluding sports, among A25-54 in the Saturday 9:00pm-10:00pm time slot.* The Doctor Who premiere and the third episode of BBC AMERICA’s first original series COPPER helped BBC AMERICA achieve its highest-rated weekend ever.

Perry Simon, General Manager, Channels, BBC Worldwide America commented: "The one-two punch of our returning hit series Doctor Who and our first original drama COPPER combined to set a new weekend ratings record and deliver our most watched telecasts in our history. Taken together with our most-ever Emmy® nominations and our increased distribution, it feels like BBC AMERICA is clearly a network on the move."

The new season of Doctor Who, from lead writer and executive producer Steven Moffat and executive producer Caroline Skinner, sees the Doctor (Matt Smith), his companions Amy Pond (Karen Gillan) and Rory Williams (Arthur Darvill) and numerous friends on their latest escapades through space and time. The premiere sees them kidnapped by the Doctor's oldest foe, The Daleks, and in the coming episodes they’ll save a spaceship full of dinosaurs, don Stetsons in a Wild Wild West adventure, puzzle an unexpected invasion of Earth and, in the mid-season finale, race against time through the streets of Manhattan for Amy and Rory's heart-breaking farewell. Doctor Who is a BBC Cymru Wales Production for BBC One. Doctor Who premieres every Saturday, 9:00pm ET as part of Supernatural Saturday.

by Anonymousreply 3609/05/2012

"Yuppers! I live in Florida. Is that a deal-breaker?"

R7, my timeline or yours?

by Anonymousreply 3709/05/2012

R7, is your name River Song by any chance?

by Anonymousreply 3909/06/2012

Oh dear, R26. If you were expecting me to be a girl, I'm sure I'll disappoint you sooner or later.

by Anonymousreply 4009/06/2012

R7, I certainly don't expect you to be a girl; that would be a sure disappointment. "River" is both a girl's name and a boy's. "Pond", however, is just plain homely sounding.

by Anonymousreply 4109/06/2012

I'm rather Rory-ish in terms of personality, R26. Imagine me waiting faithfully for two millennia and you have an inkling of who I am.

by Anonymousreply 4209/06/2012

I don't think Rory 'dies', per se, because the Weeping Angels don't kill - they send them back in time. Supposedly Rory is sent back in time and maybe Amy goes back to live with him.

by Anonymousreply 4309/07/2012

I thought it was great

by Anonymousreply 4409/07/2012

I really hope the Weeping Angels don't turn the Statue of Liberty into an Angel (or it turns out to be one). It would be too Ghostbusters 2.

by Anonymousreply 4509/07/2012

I thought it was a pretty clever way of doing something new with the Daleks, and the idea of there being insane ones was kind of fun.

You can kind of tell Rory and Amy are on their way out. And that's good. So I'm not surprised to hear from the spoiler they're off soon. Roll on the new companion!

I think Smith has really settled into his role now, and is doing a much better job than his predecessor. Yeah, the ending wasn't too surprising.

Anyway, re: Daleks, the thing you have to remember is that it's still a family show. There's always going to be new kids coming to it and seeing things for the first time. That's why everything keeps coming back. I don't mind when they're inventive about it. This was a much more inventive use than more recent Dalek episodes.

Yeah, it was a classic running around, escape from peril episode but that was good too. No doubt all of that legendary stuff Moffat is into that was going to happen with McCoy when it got cancelled (can't remember the name of it) is going to kick in soon as well. The second episode looks like it (was, since it aired tonight) stupid. I'll see next week I guess.

I'll give it 7/10.

by Anonymousreply 4609/08/2012

I think tonight's episode "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship" airs on SPACE in Canada soon.

by Anonymousreply 4709/08/2012

9 pm, r47

by Anonymousreply 4809/08/2012

Yup, less than 1 hour to go.

by Anonymousreply 4909/08/2012

R7, I like undying loyalty. For your sake, I hope you don't look Rory-ish. He may be cute, but he doesn't look cute.

by Anonymousreply 5009/08/2012

My problem with the Daleks is that they just don't seem terribly dangerous. I think it's their fireplug shape or something; all Dr. Who needs is for a large dog to come and pee on them.

by Anonymousreply 5109/08/2012

[quote]I like undying loyalty. For your sake, I hope you don't look Rory-ish. He may be cute, but he doesn't look cute.

I don't find him unattractive, but no, I don't look anything like him. I'm less...delicate.R7

by Anonymousreply 5209/08/2012

Rory's father is Arthur Weasley!

by Anonymousreply 5309/08/2012

Damn, Rupert Graves is still hot!

by Anonymousreply 5409/08/2012

Agreed, R54!

by Anonymousreply 5509/08/2012

by Anonymousreply 5609/08/2012

And that's Argus Filch as the bad guy!

by Anonymousreply 5709/08/2012

And the dad is Mr. Weasley!

by Anonymousreply 5809/08/2012

You'd think they would make the show available to watch on their site or on Hulu so they could attract more viewers.

by Anonymousreply 5909/08/2012

And nobody mentioned the Doctor kissed Rory on the mouth?!?

by Anonymousreply 6009/08/2012

[quote]And the dad is Mr. Weasley!

No shit.

by Anonymousreply 6109/08/2012

Mr Who?

by Anonymousreply 6209/08/2012

Anyone else notice that Rory's dad was played by Arthur Weasley??

by Anonymousreply 6309/09/2012

I am surprised how much I like the second episode of the new season. Actually I like it more than the first one.

But for a family show there was a lot of death in this one.

There is a weird dynamic going on with the Doctor suddenly wanting to have a 'gang'. Clearly he's tired of the Ponds and needs some new stimulation (guess not even kissing Rory lit up the spark for him, what a fickle Timelord he is).

by Anonymousreply 6409/09/2012

Interesting that in the future of the Who Universe India seems to be the world leader that defends the earth by shooting missiles at a threat.

by Anonymousreply 6509/09/2012

Mitchell & Webb as the robots, as well. Lots of fun this episode!

by Anonymousreply 6609/09/2012

I enjoy the economy that comes with naming the episode about dinosaurs on a spaceship "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship."

by Anonymousreply 6709/09/2012

[quote]Mitchell & Webb as the robots, as well. Lots of fun this episode!

Is THAT who they were! I knew their voices sounded familiar!

by Anonymousreply 6809/09/2012

[quote]I enjoy the economy that comes with naming the episode about dinosaurs on a spaceship "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship."

Rather like "Snakes on a Plane," no?

by Anonymousreply 6909/09/2012

I liked the robots until they killed the dinosaur creature. Guess I am a big wuss when it comes to innocent creatures getting killed.

by Anonymousreply 7009/09/2012

An excellent episode re-cap, including animated GIF of the Doctor/Rory kiss :-)

by Anonymousreply 7109/10/2012

Please please PLEASE tell me that Mr. Weasley is going to be a season-long companion!

He's funny and adorable, I want him to be my pal or my dad.

by Anonymousreply 7209/10/2012

BRILLIANT comic based on the premier episode:

by Anonymousreply 7309/12/2012

"No he's not... he's called Susan. And he wants you to respect his life choices."

by Anonymousreply 7409/15/2012

Two words -- Ben. Browder.

by Anonymousreply 7509/15/2012

I'm recording this episode tonight. Ben Browder was on? How did his butt look?

by Anonymousreply 7609/15/2012

Another cartoon, a bit older.

by Anonymousreply 7709/16/2012

Matt Smith...2nd Best Doctor.

by Anonymousreply 7809/16/2012

Who is the first, R78?

by Anonymousreply 7909/16/2012

Tom Baker of course.

by Anonymousreply 8009/16/2012

Eccleston would be my first choice, Tennant a close second. But who wants to discuss that again? Entertainment Weekly's survey a few weeks ago was interesting though. Tennant came first and Smith second. I guess hardly anyone of current viewers knows or remembers the older Doctors.

by Anonymousreply 8109/16/2012

Ridell (the big game hunter) is Lestrade from Sherlock. Yummy!

True story: met Tom Baker at a Dr Who convention in the 80s when I was a kid. He was my fave until Tennant. Surprisingly posh.

by Anonymousreply 8209/16/2012

Thought this most recent episode was kind of lack-luster.

by Anonymousreply 8309/16/2012

The latest episode is preachier than usual. Loved the line quoted in r

by Anonymousreply 8409/16/2012

ooops, clicked too early on the save post button.

Love the line quoted in r74's post.

Ben Browder looked like Josh Brolin with a beard.

The next one looks quite interesting with Rory's dad being back.

by Anonymousreply 8509/16/2012

I had no idea that was Ben Bowder until I read this thread. NEVER would have guessed it was him. Just thought he was hot, and yeah, that he sorta looked a little Josh Brolin-ish.

by Anonymousreply 8609/16/2012

I love Amy. That new companion is blahhhhhhhh.

by Anonymousreply 8709/16/2012

Rose was the better companion. Amy can't act.

by Anonymousreply 8809/16/2012

Donna Noble is my favourite companion. No romantic bullshit!

by Anonymousreply 8909/16/2012

I agree that Donna was the best.

A few questions:

1. Can't the doctor have a male companion for a while? Must it always be a woman?

2. Can we finally admit that Matt Smith just isn't right for this and regenerate already?

3. I really want to see the penultimate River Song episode, where he gives her the sonic screwdriver. Don't you???

by Anonymousreply 9009/16/2012

1) We have Rory this time. And The Doctor even kissed him.

2) We can do nothing of the sort. LOVE him.

3) I'm always up for another bit of River Song...

by Anonymousreply 9109/16/2012

River Song is the best companion ever, because she's played by Alex Kingston. Donna Noble is the second best.

As for the question of the next companion: I like Amy and Rory, but I can live without them. Now the girl from episode 1 seems likeable enough, but why another young girl? You'd think that the Doctor would avoid young women, after Amy tried to rape him. Why not a male companion, or someone who isn't in their twenties?

by Anonymousreply 9209/16/2012

The Doctor needs a sassy black drag queen as new companion.

'What do you mean with exterminate, bitch? I give you something to exterminate! My foot up your Dalek ass!'

'Timelord? Bitch, you crazy!'

by Anonymousreply 9309/16/2012

[quote]2. Can we finally admit that Matt Smith just isn't right for this and regenerate already?

You get mu vote for this. Smith plays the Doctor like a clown. I cannot take the story seriously if he plays like everything is curious or funny. Same with Gillan. Yes I know Amy is a tough girl. But her being serious every now and then , and not smug all the tim, would add some depth to her character too. Tennant had his quirky moments too, some say even too much. But Smith is not balancinng his clowneries with serious moments at all. I'm pretty much done with him.

by Anonymousreply 9409/16/2012

Is River considered a companion? If so, I agree with r92.

by Anonymousreply 9509/16/2012

I was actually quite entertained. Some funny stuff in there, especially the transgender horse. Overall though this was the standard plot from every Star Trek show.

by Anonymousreply 9609/17/2012

This is hilarious:

by Anonymousreply 9709/17/2012

Exierminate R94, Smith is the best doctor the new series' have had and I loved Ecclestone. He has got the young/old thing DOWN.

I loved Dinos in Space more than I expected but I thought the Wild West was a bit by the numbers with a twist yawn. Some nice moments. I want Smith to stay the doctor for at least another season after this nd then let's bring in a middle aged black man to do it.

Yes, I'm serious.

by Anonymousreply 9809/21/2012

Oh, and I think Amy and Rory have been good companions too. But yeah, it is good this is their last season with him.

by Anonymousreply 9909/21/2012

I thought Dinosaurs in Space was pretty much the worst of the worst... Silly for the sake of it, with a bit of smut thrown in. Pointless and unfunny. Chris Chibnall is a truly dreadful writer.

by Anonymousreply 10009/21/2012

Matt Smith is great, but a male new companion would have been excellent, providing a rarely explored fraternal or avuncular dynamic, really not seen since Adric or Turlough. A girl would be along shortly, we know, but still. However, straight, lesbo-obsessed Moffat wouldn't do that.

by Anonymousreply 10109/21/2012

Why do the Doctor actors always have to be so fug?

by Anonymousreply 10209/22/2012

Don't post SPOILERS on this thread, R20!

by Anonymousreply 10309/22/2012

R102, Peter Davison was good-looking.

by Anonymousreply 10409/22/2012

Re the recent Western episode:

The show did a Western story based on the OK Corral shootout between the Earps & the Clantons back in 1966 with William Hartnell.

by Anonymousreply 10509/22/2012

To my surprise, I ended up enjoying the Doctor's trip to the Ole West. I figured it was probably going to be good when I saw Toby Whithouse had written it, since I've pretty much enjoyed all the other episodes he's written.

Matt Smith has either grown on me or worn me down.

by Anonymousreply 10609/22/2012

Yeah, we ought to have a male companion. The doctor needs to avoid romantic entanglements, obviously, and it's not like he can't have an interesting relationship with a friend. Look at how popular Donna Noble is! And look how popular Jack Harkness, the last male companion became, he got his own show.

And I don't love Matt Smith. He's good at some things, such as appearing to be frightfully clever, which is probably why he got the job. But there's something offputting about him, something I can't put my finger on. And he's a poor match for the fabulous Alex Kingston, who is the best supporting character the show ever had.

by Anonymousreply 10709/22/2012

I'd love a male companion, but why would that indicate he'd avoid romantic entanglements?

I mean, who has he kissed more: Amy or Rory? :-P

by Anonymousreply 10809/22/2012

So tonight's episode... meh. Lots of potential, but bleh.

I almost feel like this plot should have been a Torchwood story arc. It needed more time to develop the idea. It just sorta ended all in a rush, and never really made much sense.

by Anonymousreply 10909/22/2012

This season isn't very compelling to me.

by Anonymousreply 11009/23/2012

Arthur Darvill was so cute tonight. Nice legs! I'm going to miss Rory.

by Anonymousreply 11109/23/2012

I like the latest episode because of the episode's mystery build up.

Next week: The Weeping Angels. Loved Blink where they first showed up. Hated the second time they made an appearance (in Matt Smith's first season as Doctor).

by Anonymousreply 11209/23/2012

I liked the episode where Doctor Who was going to town and he was stopped by his sister-in-law Hyacinth, who assured him it was spelled B-U-C-K-E-T

by Anonymousreply 11309/23/2012

Ayb, I am actually surprised that you're such a fan of the current Who-format considering that you were always advocating the seriousness and less goofy Doctors in the 60s and 70s. Matt Smith isn't any of that. He is the biggest goofball since Colin Baker.

by Anonymousreply 11409/23/2012

More Jemma Redgrave, please.

by Anonymousreply 11509/23/2012

I loved Jemma Redgrave. She would make an awesome companion.

WTF was with then ending to this episode? 40 minutes of buildup and then the Doctor takes his sonic screwdriver out and in 5 seconds defeats the bad guy?

Does anyone else see a resemblance between Matt Smith and Bill Nighy?

by Anonymousreply 11609/23/2012

Don't even r101. 'lesbo-obsessed', I wish! The only lesbian characters Moffat creates are one's that flirt with/fuck/fall in love with men. (Irene Adler) Even when he mentions a character being bisexual or non-straight he passes it off as a phase (Oswin's mentioning her feelings for a girl as a phase, or River Sogn's supposed bisexuality even though she's never even looked that way at a woman on-screen).

There has been no real representation of lesbians or queer women on his shows, so let's not pretend that there has. Even the women on his shows are shittily written. I love vampy women as much as the next person, but not when that's the only character a writer can write, or when it's the only facet of their personality. Almost every single female character on his shows are like this, and while River started off as a fantastic character, the last few episodes he wrote of her completely destroyed her. She practically held the universe hostage so the doctor would marry her, and she only went into archeology so she could trace the doctor through history. No aspect of her is for herself, everything she has been or done through her life, from childhood, has been because of the doctor.

And then there's Irene Adler, a supposedly brilliant woman who can manipulate any situation, until she's bested by her love of a man, Sherlock. (which was also funny, her being a 'lesbian' and all).

My fingers are crossed that the new companion is actually a lesbian, and that's the twist, and Moffat will finally write a decent, female and gay character. And there won't be sexual undertones to her relationship with the doc. Basically a buddy companion like Donna, but who's actually gay.

by Anonymousreply 11709/23/2012

hated this new ep - such a cheesy ending. rory's dad and rory in underwear though :-))

and new week - angels!

by Anonymousreply 11809/23/2012

Great set up, horrible execution. I'm so disappointed this year.

I like Rory's dad, but they did this extended family thing with Donna's family so much better.

This Doctor isn't good enough

(lol, and I thank you for allowing a space to express my inner petulant fanboy.)

by Anonymousreply 11909/23/2012

I'd like a lesbian companion, a male companion, an older companion, a female buddy companion, even a kid companion, anything but another young female who gets into a quasi-romantic relationship with the doctor.

Enough with him fooling around with all these girls, the Doctor is not a slut!

by Anonymousreply 12009/23/2012

Wait, isn't the Doctor out of regenerations? I thought he had used them all up.

by Anonymousreply 12109/23/2012

"the Doctor is not a slut!"

You should have seen him when I first met him. We would fuck anything that came our way: male or female, human or alien. Give the Doctor some gin and meth, and he'll try to even screw Daleks or a Tardis light bulb (excellent sucking skills, those Daleks). As for the Doctor and me, let's just say he once said I was bigger on the inside and that I give good head (they don't call me the Face of Boe for no reason).

by Anonymousreply 12209/23/2012

If I'm right and the "twelve regenerations" was a Time Lord rule rather than a biological imperative, there's nobody left to enforce the rule. The doctor can keep regenerating until every actor in Britain has played him.

Someday Daniel Radcliffe will play the 21st Doctor.

by Anonymousreply 12309/23/2012

They can't just slip this in, they need to address it. We'll accept whatever timey-wimey explanation you give us, but give us something, don't just change it.

by Anonymousreply 12409/23/2012

River Song sacrificed the rest of her regenerations to save the Doctor, but that's ok, she get's to spend her life in prison for killing a man who's still alive. That's alright though, he takes her on adventures now and then.

by Anonymousreply 12509/23/2012

[quote]River Song sacrificed the rest of her regenerations to save the Doctor, but that's ok, she get's to spend her life in prison for killing a man who's still alive.

We know she gets out eventually.

How long before she dies is unclear, but she was free at that point.

by Anonymousreply 12609/23/2012

I think it was a mistake letting Moffat have River dominate a whole season, he's written the show into corners other writers won't be able to get out of.

I mean, SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER a WIFE? the doctor shouldn't be tied to anyone. And she's supposed to be younger every time they meet, while the incredible Alex Kingston is already 20 years older than Matt Smith. And what if Kingston leaves the show, they can't possibly recast anyone as fabulous, and they've said she can't regenerate anyway. And her story has left the Ponds in a nasty mess, and really, it would have been better to keep her mysterious.

by Anonymousreply 12709/23/2012

An excellent write-up of this episode:

by Anonymousreply 12809/23/2012

need caps of a pantsless Arthur Darvill

by Anonymousreply 12909/24/2012

by Anonymousreply 13009/24/2012

Well, so long Rory and Amy.

Statue of Liberty being an Angel was really stupid because it would be impossible for the big statue to ever move since there must be always at lest one pair of eyes on it.

by Anonymousreply 13109/29/2012

So wait... no more episodes? This season was only four episodes long? WTF?

by Anonymousreply 13209/29/2012

Okay, this has to have repercussions. The doctor took a pair of innocent young people along, and got them in all kinds of trouble. Logically, and ethically, he should avoid taking innocent young people anywhere for a while.

Can't he just travel with River? Or someone older, or someone who's a bit of a badass? but no, it'll be another young girl.

by Anonymousreply 13309/29/2012

Oops, started an Angels Take Manhattan thread. I apologize.

NYC doesn't have "quays." And those were pretty bad American accents at the beginning of the episode. Central Park looked nice, though.

by Anonymousreply 13409/29/2012

[quote]So wait... no more episodes? This season was only four episodes long? WTF?

It's halfway through the season. It's taking a long midseason break and will return in a couple of months with a new companion.

by Anonymousreply 13509/30/2012

They're showing Oswin, or a girl that looks just like her, dressed in an 1880's costume. Makes me wonder if this is where the Daleks took her from, and the Doctor, knowing she's one day to become a Dalek herself, decides to take her out for a spin, giving her some fun, because she's doomed and he can't change that. Maybe after getting Rory and Amy in their current fix, he figures he can't do any worse to Oswin than what she's already going to get.

Remember Oswin said she was looking forward to the Doctor taking her out among the stars? What if "Dalek Oswin" has already traveled with the Doctor, had her adventures, and thinks he's come to rescue her, not knowing she's already a Dalek and it's too late? She would know that if he doesn't know her, he doesn't know he's traveled with her in his future, and she can't spoil him.

by Anonymousreply 13609/30/2012

Wow, I cried last night like a little girl. This morning though I feel kinda annoyed. If you travel with the Doctor, you're pretty much gonna pay for it in some sort of fucked up way. The Pond's happy ending seemed all very cheap. I wished the Doctor just fought a little bit harder for them this episode. I suppose it's better than getting dropped off in a parallel universe or having your mind completely wiped, but c'mon Moffat. Maybe the only redeeming quality Martha had for me was that she had enough sense to just step off the TARDIS.

I'm curious to see if the Oswin dalek is going to be the same character we'll meet in the Christmas special, and if it is, well we already know she's fucked.

How is River able to go back in time to give her parents that book, but the Doctor can't?

by Anonymousreply 13709/30/2012

I dunno. I liked someone else's idea of Amy & Rory going back to raise River Song.

I mean... think of Rory's dad!! Are they going to even mention that he suddnely had his son and daughter-in-law go missing and he never heard from them again?

by Anonymousreply 13809/30/2012

And now that Amy has her mum and her tiny little dad back, they lose her!

Seriously, I hate that they had to lose their only child (until she's forty), and then go through this.

by Anonymousreply 13909/30/2012

The very, very worst is what they did to Donna Nobel.

I can live with this. They need to settle the companions somewhere in a way that the audience won't always wonder why the Doctor doesn't go back and visit them. The actors are gone, so you have to put the characters out of reach, and this was at least a happy ending, in a way.

by Anonymousreply 14009/30/2012

I thought it was pretty good, and a fitting end for Amy and Rory with all the confusing timey-wimey stuff finally working to their advantage but it was also a bit like the rest of this season was, rushed.

Hopefully the second half in 2013 will be a bit more to do with the mythology, but whatever. It will be nice to have Oswin- she was easily the best thing in ethe first five episodes.

I wish people would stop with the Matt Smith hatred. He's much better than his predecessor, who is/was a totally overrated actor anyway. Ten was trying to be Davison but only the Moffat episodes he was in were any cop.

Oooh I think I'm going to go and watch some more McCoy ones now.

by Anonymousreply 14110/06/2012

I HATED the way they ended Donna's season. It felt so wrong. Come to think of it why do they have to have such elaborate endings when a companion leaves now. Seems like back in the old days we weren't given much of an explanation when a companion left other than they were weary of traveling with the Doctor or were simply ready to go home.

by Anonymousreply 14210/07/2012

They are more important characters nowadays. So naturally they utilize them more to juice more stories out of them.

by Anonymousreply 14310/07/2012

I think the difficulty with Doctor Who is to hold on to the correct and right mythology which hasn't been undone (yet) for the Doctor's (and the show's) own convenience.

I mean, look at the last seconds of the mid season finale. Is Amy still 'the girl who waited'?

by Anonymousreply 14410/07/2012

The Christmas special involved very little plot, but...

The new companion is compelling.

It was good to see the lesbian married couple.

Mr. Potato rocked.

by Anonymousreply 14512/27/2012

Dr. Who Cares.

by Anonymousreply 14612/27/2012

I liked the Silurian's household more than the new companion. It's their second appearance, I'd like to see a lot more of them.

Also, I'm worried that they're writing themselves into corners. The Doctor can't just pick up a new companion and take them for a joyride any more, he's got to have some overwhelming reason to take them along. He could take the Silurian and her crew along without any guilt, they can take care of themselves, give it a shot.

by Anonymousreply 14712/27/2012

I'm surprised not more people responded to this Christmas special. New title sequence, new companions, a changed Tardis and an interesting story.

I wonder how many years have passed since the Ponds are gone. He has the Silurian somewhat serving as his Dr. Watson/ companion. He enlisted a reptile to take over his universe saving duties. And the Tardis got a new desktop theme while the outside almost looks as beaten up as in 2005. Wonder what he was up to. And I am curious about the new companion. But why is the Doctor treating the potato head so badly?

by Anonymousreply 14812/29/2012

Can't wait to see the Cybermen return. Supposedly Gaiman is making them into monsters again as we remembered them to be.Can't stand the Daleks anymore they've been so overused to the point of parody. And yes they have become like Cybermen now, they convert instead of exterminating! How unoriginal and how stupid.

by Anonymousreply 14912/29/2012

I liked "The Snowmen." It was worth it just to see Zombie Richard E. Grant. Clara is a very promising companion. I am getting awfully tired of the manipulative overuse of harrowing deaths of major characters followed by "Surprise! Not really dead after all!" I wonder if Britain is going to have a whole generation that grows up expecting their dead loved ones to suddenly turn up again someday and be perfectly all right.

by Anonymousreply 15012/29/2012

She could be an Undead already - even in this episode. At this point she could be anything. I think exactly this mystery is what intreagues the Doctor to go after her. Otherwisehe wouldn't care.

Besides the Daleks and Cybermen I think they overused presumably innocent objects or characters that children find cute and trustworthy and then turn out to be dangerous and highly threatening.

by Anonymousreply 15112/29/2012

[quote]We know she (River Song) gets out eventually. How long before she dies is unclear, but she was free at that point.

Anyone still watching? in Regards to River Song, we saw in [italic]Angles Take Manhattan[/italic] That River Song is now a Professor and in [italic]Cold War[/italic]he now has a Red setting on his screwdriver.

Finally, the name of this season finale will be [italic] "The Name of the Doctor" [/italic] and wall know there's no way they're going to reveal his name to the whole audience. The episode titles are often a misdirection.

But this will most likely be when and where River - and only River Song- hears his name to repeat back to Ten (Tennant) in The Silence in The Library.

I love how it's all come full circle but I'll be sad to see her go.

I also wonder if "saving" her in the Library was really a good thing? She stuck there with people she hasn't known for that long. Is now the keeper of all things written?

by Anonymousreply 15204/22/2013

Oh and they also answered how Song was out of Jail. The Doctor erased any mention of his existence from history- somehow. Which erased her crime -thus freeing her from jail.

She's a free spirit now.

by Anonymousreply 15304/22/2013

My husband was a little put out that in "Hide" no one told Matt Smith how to pronounce "Metebelis Crystal" the way it had been pronounced in the Third Doctor stories where it appeared.

I was pleased to learn that they've also gotten Jemma Redgrave back as UNIT Director Kate Stewart for the 50th.

by Anonymousreply 15404/22/2013

Dougray Scott was hot as the nerdy paranormal investigator in "Hide"

by Anonymousreply 15504/22/2013

River Song will be returning for the Season Finale - "THE NAME OF THE DOCTOR".

by Anonymousreply 15604/23/2013

How do people feel about Clara?

I don't think she seems like a real person, more like an actor trying as hard as she can to be cute and quirky. Amy and Rory may not always have been likeable, but damned if they didn't feel like someone you knew, very believable characters.

by Anonymousreply 15704/23/2013

[quote]Dougray Scott was hot as the nerdy paranormal investigator in "Hide"

That was Dougray Scott? Wow, didn't recognize him at all.

The psychic is the star of "Call the Midwife," right?

[quote]How do people feel about Clara?

I like Clara, but I really, REALLY wish the Clara who became the Companion was the one from the Christmas special. Rose, Martha, and Amy have all been youngish girls from the 21st century, and the only variation we really got on that was that Martha was middle-class and well-educated and that Amy was married. Rory was always more interesting to me than Amy was. And of course, Donna was my favorite.

Anyway, the idea of a Companion from Victorian times was much more interesting to me than yet another young woman from the present day.

If "The Name of the Doctor" is River's, well, swan song, I really hope Madame Vastra and Jenny can take her place as the recurring Companions.

by Anonymousreply 15804/23/2013

Is Moffat still involved? I don't think I saw him in the credits recently.

by Anonymousreply 15904/23/2013

I keep on hearing about the DW reboot as the place for a newbie Dr watcher to start.

WTF is the reboot?

by Anonymousreply 16004/23/2013

Are you dumb, r160? You really don't know what a series reboot is?

The original Doctor Who was a series that ran from1963 all the way up until 1989.

In 2005 they restarted the series with a "reboot" starting with Christopher Eccleston as the Ninth Doctor. David Tennant took over the next year as "Ten" and Matt Smith followed him as the current "Eleven" th Doctor.

by Anonymousreply 16104/23/2013

[quote]Is Moffat still involved? I don't think I saw him in the credits recently.

He is whenever Alex Kingston is in the credits- which was only once this season. River Song was his brain child.

I started with season 6 - because there was a marathon and i was stuck at hom. I've been Skipping around from 9 to 10 to catch up. My favorite companion so far is Donna. She's damned funny and yes very, very REAL, Blue collar and human. LOVE her.

Clara is a bit over the top - she's too pretty, if that's not petty to say. She seems more like a fantasy. Maybe she is. in some episodes she's the genius who saves the day in others-she's just arm candy. The writers don't seem to know what she's supposed to be yet.

River Song worked as a mystery because Moffat knew where she was going the whole time and she had a unique personality or spin to her character.

Giving Clara a "mystery" - with no anchor - frees the writers to figure it all out later and mold her into situation with literally NO back story and none of her own identity. it might work for one episode but a whole season?

Clara a Bechdel nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 16204/23/2013

A little harsh, R161. It's possible to know what a "reboot" is in general without being familiar with the history of a specific series. R160 may have no idea which season constitutes the reboot of Doctor Who.

by Anonymousreply 16304/23/2013

So r161, if I take my ig'nant ass and search for DW streams starting in 2005, will I begin at the beginning of the current iteration of Dr. Who?

Would those start with S1E1?

Thank you for understanding r163.

by Anonymousreply 16404/23/2013

It might be easier to look for episode titles. The first episode of the relaunched series is called "Rose."

Also, everything but the currently airing season is available legally on Netflix and Amazon Prime.

by Anonymousreply 16504/24/2013

[quote]I started with season 6 - because there was a marathon and i was stuck at hom. I've been Skipping around from 9 to 10 to catch up. My favorite companion so far is Donna. She's damned funny and yes very, very REAL, Blue collar and human. LOVE her.

I've always thought of Ten's Companions as being like the Wizard of Oz. Courage (Rose), Brains (Martha), and a Heart (Donna).

I think Donna works so well because from the outset, she wasn't supposed to have any kind of romantic interest in the Doctor, unlike Martha and Rose. She was just supposed to be his best friend.

Did I tell you, best temp is Chiswick?

by Anonymousreply 16604/24/2013

Thank you VOTN @ r165.

by Anonymousreply 16704/24/2013

The Doctor: Look, all I want is a mate...

Donna: You want TO mate?! Well, you're not mating with me Sunshine!

The Doctor: A mate! I want A mate!

Donna: Oh, that's different then... C'mon, let's go.

by Anonymousreply 16804/24/2013

Why does the Doctor always have to travel with a woman?

I get that the show writers insists on having some kind of sexual tension there whether the characters profess any or not but.... do they ever explain it logically in the show?

The more you think of it, the Doctor comes off as a kind of perv. He's hundreds of year old and he's always picking up young women.

But seriously, Thinking back on it.... River Song's arc could not have happened with any of the previous companions because it would have competed with the love interest angle. She came along conveniently with Donna Noble - who had no romantic interest in him—and Amy Pond who, despite her own odd temporary confusion, had Rory.

Now there's Clara and Song has been conveniently absent again and is probably leaving the show forever. It will be interesting to see the two meet but I doubt it will be as exciting as the producers are making it out to be.

by Anonymousreply 16904/24/2013

Donna Noble: I'm not coming with you. I've been thinking... Sorry, I'm going home.

The Doctor: Really?

Donna Noble: I've got to.

The Doctor: [looking really disappointed] Well, if that's what you want. It's a bit soon. I had so many places I wanted to take you. The fifteenth broken moon of the Medusa Cascade, the lightning skies of Cotter Palluni's World, the diamond coral reefs of Kataa Flo Ko. Thank you. Thank you, Donna Noble, it's been brilliant. You've saved my life in so many ways.

You're... you're just popping home for a visit, that's what you mean?

Donna Noble: [nods] You dumbo.

The Doctor: [looks and sounds embarrassed] And then you're coming back?

Donna Noble: Do you know what you are? [sing-song voice] A great big outer space dunce.

The Doctor: Yeah.

by Anonymousreply 17004/24/2013

Loved it.

by Anonymousreply 17104/24/2013

[quote]Why does the Doctor always have to travel with a woman?

In the classic series, it was to have someone to scream and someone to whom the Doctor could exposit. Elisabeth Sladen (may she rest in peace) gave an interview about the difference in the old series and the new, where she had to do all the work in making Sarah Jane a character, because the scripts where always just "Yes, Doctor," "No, Doctor." To the point that, in her final scene with Tom Baker, the script written was so awful that they both refused to do it and instead improvised it themselves. On the new series, she felt like there was much more collaboration, and found that a lot more artistically satisfying. She actually took a meeting with Russell Davies with every intention of turning down his offer to have her return until she read the script and realized it was actually ABOUT Sarah.

JMO, but I don't think they really relaunched the series meaning to give the Doctor sexual tension with a young woman. I didn't really get that from Nine, Rose was just someone he cared about in a way he hadn't cared about anyone since the Time War. With Ten, there actually was sexual chemistry between Billie Piper and David Tenant, and so they went with that.

I actually don't think Matt Smith has sexual chemistry with anyone, Amy, Clara, or River.

My doctorate is purely honorary, and Harry here is only qualified to work on sailors.

by Anonymousreply 17204/24/2013

I guess Moffat gave an interview where he said that both Jack Harkness and River Song are bisexual.

As much as i love the idea of River Song being with a woman and it actually fits her sex-positive wild character, Moffat's statement rings shallow. It reeks of bi/les exploitation solely for the sake titillation.

Jack Harkness was shown to be bisexual and had same-sex romances on the show. There is absolutely no evidence of River being BI in the show. She's never mentioned dating a woman or show any interest in anyone other than the Doctor. Hell - the Doctor has more same-sex incidents than she has.

by Anonymousreply 17304/25/2013

Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

by Anonymousreply 17404/26/2013

Those were the days. I still miss Nine. He was odd but not a clown.

by Anonymousreply 17504/27/2013

I really hope they don't end up choosing another white actor whenever Smith leaves.

I'd actually love for Twelve to be a woman, since they've at least implied that a Time Lord's gender can change during a regeneration, but I know they'd likely have a riot descend on the BBC Cardiff offices if that happened.

So, failing that, it would be awesome if they got someone like Idris Elba to do it.

by Anonymousreply 17604/27/2013

The Doctor's male companions over the years. As I remember, Adric was a cute young guy.

This season is underwhelming me.

by Anonymousreply 17704/27/2013

Matthew Waterhouse, who played Adric lives in Connecticut now and is openly gay. I believe he's married as well. I've only seen a couple of the serials he was in, but he struck me as the Wesley Crusher of the Whoniverse.

Regarding the most recent episode:

1) That was like an episode of Star Trek: Voyager, and I don't mean that as a compliment.

2) I thought the Doctor couldn't cross his own timeline.

3) The best part of the episode was the preview of the return of Vastra, Jenny, and Strax.

by Anonymousreply 17804/28/2013

Was I seeing things, or did one of the previews include a brief shot of Eleven, Clara... and Clara with curly hair? A SECOND Clara?

Still, count me with the "Not Another Chickie" crowd. The show works best when the Doctor is with friends, and there's no reason the friends have to be cute girls.

by Anonymousreply 17904/28/2013

'Doctor Who' finale will change the show forever, says Steven Moffat

[quote]"We'll also find out what makes his new companion [Clara, played by Jenna-Louise Coleman] so impossible and there's a surprise that no-one has got right so far."

[quote]Hinting at what to expect from the finale, Coleman teased: "All I can say is that Clara hasn't just met the Doctor three times before."

by Anonymousreply 18004/28/2013

My wacky thought about Clara is that she's actually a Time Lady. Perhaps Romana, who ran herself through a Chameleon Arch like the Master did, in order to escape the Time War.

I mean, law of averages says they have to bring at least one or two other Time Lords back eventually, and the only other options are Susan and the Rani.

by Anonymousreply 18104/30/2013

I want to officially predict that Clara is Susan Foreman.

by Anonymousreply 18204/30/2013

When Eleven appeared and felt his own long hair, he reacted very badly to the idea that he must be a woman.

by Anonymousreply 18304/30/2013

Is the finale this Saturday, or is it a ways off?

by Anonymousreply 18404/30/2013

There are three episodes. The forthcoming episode with Vastra, Jenny, and Strax, a Cybermen episode written by Neil Gaiman, and the finale, with River Song (and also Vastra/Jenny/Strax).

Then we still have the 50th special (which will involve the Zygons, and also be in 3D), and the Christmas special.

by Anonymousreply 18504/30/2013

Also, tonight's episode has Extra Special Guest Villainess Dame Diana Rigg.

by Anonymousreply 18605/04/2013

R159, yes, Steven Moffat is still the showrunner which means he commissions, oversees, and signs off (as well as re-writing if re-writes are needed) all the episodes, though most of the episodes have guest writers.

by Anonymousreply 18705/04/2013

Well, that was satisfying, although with Mark Gatiss, who'd live in Victorian England if it weren't for those pesky buggery laws, writing, it was almost destined to be.

by Anonymousreply 18805/04/2013

I'm not loving this series although last night's episode was pretty good. I'm looking forward to seeing Jenny and Strax in the finale.

by Anonymousreply 18905/05/2013

Thomas Thomas is my new favorite Companion.

by Anonymousreply 19005/05/2013

Is there a new Dr. ?

by Anonymousreply 19105/23/2013

I was r182 and I was wrong.

But WHET Susan Foreman????

by Anonymousreply 19205/23/2013

[quote]Is there a new Dr. ?

Sort of. John Hurt. But it's not a "normal" Doctor, since Matt Smith didn't die and transform into a new incarnation. We won't know any more until the Christmas episode.

by Anonymousreply 19305/23/2013

Don't you mean the 50th?

I liked my solution to who Clara was better than what we got, but I have to admit, they did a good job splicing her in with all of the previous Doctors. Especially that she was the one who suggested which TARDIS to steal.

Although given that they didn't start filming in color until Jon Pertwee took over, where did they get the color footage of Patrick Troughton and William Hartnell?

Also, they're continuing their monthly celebrations of the past Doctors Sunday evening with Five. It's a half-hour clip show, and then "Earthshock."

I have no idea how they'll fill a half-hour with Eight, unless they get into the audio plays.

by Anonymousreply 19405/25/2013

Earthshock... every old-time Whovian's FAVORITE episode.

by Anonymousreply 19505/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!