Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

And the Oscar goes to... Ben Affleck.

Argo, Affleck's picture about the Iran hostage crisis, premieres at Telluride with major awards buzz.

by Anonymousreply 5503/17/2013

I love the movie poster, but I'm not sure what it has to do with Iran or hostages:

by Anonymousreply 209/01/2012

Does it mention that it was really our own CIA holding the hostages?

by Anonymousreply 309/01/2012

Of course it does, r3. Why wouldn't it?

by Anonymousreply 409/01/2012

Most Americans haven't got a clue about what our military corporations were willing to do to get rid of (could not be bought), Carter.

by Anonymousreply 509/01/2012

It better portray Reagan and the CIA as the monsters they are.

by Anonymousreply 709/01/2012

Fuck him, unless he portrayed the situation as it really was...he is simply presenting propaganda. Propaganda that got an old man elected and the CIA in charge of our country. I don't like it and I don't know if Afflick started listening to the wrong people, got his ego pumped and now, completely supports the right wing, or what? Disgusting! Fuck him...fuck him to hell and back.

by Anonymousreply 809/02/2012

He's a mediocre actor, a sub par writer (if one can even call him a writer), but a fantastic, fantastic director. Gone Baby Gone and The Town are both, er, fantastic.

I can't wait to see Argo.

by Anonymousreply 1009/03/2012

oh my....I'l bump this thread when it doesn't happen!!

by Anonymousreply 1109/03/2012

Looks like they overdid the 70s hairstyles and clothes.

If Ben wins an Oscar I'll kill myself. I said the same thing when someone posted here Justin Timberlake was going to do the same.

by Anonymousreply 1209/03/2012

Erm, I think the Oscar is going to go to Joaquin Phoenix for The Master.

Ben might be in with a shot for Best Director but it belongs to PTA.

by Anonymousreply 1309/03/2012

He was basically going to divorce his wife unless she had a son. Not really a sign of a "good guy" to me, but whatever.

by Anonymousreply 1409/03/2012

I can't believe no one has mentioned his every-day wig yet. Or the fact that he has back hair that he has to shave.

by Anonymousreply 1509/03/2012

Wait,[R3], is that true? Sounds believable. I was a 5th grader during the hostage situation and remember during the Reagan inauguration and eventually hostage release. The whole story played like a movie with Reagan as some sort of hero.

by Anonymousreply 1709/03/2012

Is he becoming the next Clint Eastwood. He's even political. Is there an empty director's chair in Affleck's future?

by Anonymousreply 1809/03/2012

[quote]He was basically going to divorce his wife unless she had a son. Not really a sign of a "good guy" to me, but whatever.

MATT would have given him a son...

by Anonymousreply 1909/03/2012

How could Matt have given him a son, R19? Adoption?

by Anonymousreply 2009/03/2012

But will it live up to its precedented standard?

by Anonymousreply 2109/03/2012

I don't understand if Afflick is being groomed by the right wing, certainly seems so. If this film is nothing more than right wing propaganda...I guess we have our answer. What a dope. Maybe he got in over his head in Vegas, so now he has to put out propaganda for the Republicans. Fuck you, Afflick.

by Anonymousreply 2209/04/2012

Very difficult to get 1970s men's fashions correct. The real stuff was so awful in those polyester and quiana fabrics they beg disbelief and are naturally comical to the modern eye.

And then there's the godawful hair that was basically not so much styled as overgrown, as if men became oddly modest about showing their ears.

by Anonymousreply 2309/04/2012

Is Ben also the lead in the new Terrence Malick film To the Wonder, also previewed (and booed!) at Telluride?

There's a photo of it in today's NY Times but the actors are not identified in the caption. It looks like Ben and Naomi Watts.

by Anonymousreply 2409/04/2012

Isn't his dad from Lebanon or something?

by Anonymousreply 2509/04/2012

No, it isn't Naomi Watts.

I don't think I will watch another Terrance Mallick film. They are beautiful to look at but whatever is going all seems to be a bit over my head.

by Anonymousreply 2609/04/2012

[quote]Isn't his dad from Lebanon or something?

No, Affleck is a Scottish surname.

by Anonymousreply 2709/04/2012

The Damon butt can birth babies? I wouldn't be surprised!!

by Anonymousreply 2809/04/2012

Fuck you, OP. Infamy.

by Anonymousreply 2909/04/2012

The Aflac duck is getting an Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 3009/04/2012

Blind Item says he still misses JLo! That cannot be possible, can it? Mind boggling.

by Anonymousreply 3109/05/2012

I thought he and JLo were pretty sexy together. I still think her ethnicity had something to do with him backing out of the marriage. Maybe that's unfair but just a feeling I had despite his seemingly liberal parentage. It seems he handled that break up very shabbily and for all the crap written about JLo she handled both his subsequent marriage and fatherhood very graciously.

Always remember the Directors Section of the Academy is pretty small (about 350 members) and you usually really have to pay your dues before you get nominations.

by Anonymousreply 3209/05/2012

back in the day what a fuck he would have been along with Matt licking my arse

by Anonymousreply 3309/05/2012

R32 is a big damn dummy.

by Anonymousreply 3409/05/2012

I get the feeling that powers that be in Hollywood are primping Ben Affleck to be the next actor who wins an Oscar for directing and it’s oh so tired and transparent. I saw this with Kevin Costner and his directing of Dances with Wolves. To this day, very few believe that Kevin deserved the Best Director Oscar over Martin Scorsese’s directing of Goodfellas. It’s déjà-vu all over again.

by Anonymousreply 3509/05/2012

Will Argo win Best Picture, and an academy award for all the producers?

by Anonymousreply 3609/05/2012

It's all politics, the Academy never votes for the most deserving.

by Anonymousreply 3709/05/2012

"The Damon butt can birth babies? I wouldn't be surprised!!"

Why wouldn't you be surprised?

by Anonymousreply 3809/05/2012

I saw The Town. Ben Affleck gets EXCELLENT performances out of his actors. Jeremy Renner was insane he was so good.

by Anonymousreply 3909/05/2012

Renner was great but lets face it, he isn't attractive. Of course a character actor can make good money but he doesn't need to be out of the closet because he's a leading man...IMO.

by Anonymousreply 4009/06/2012

If the voters vote for a piece of propaganda, I'm not going to like it.

by Anonymousreply 4109/06/2012

Lucky the actors that get to be directed by Ben Affleck. I'm sure he has so many to choose from now.

by Anonymousreply 4209/06/2012

I wonder if he'll ever direct a movie heor his brother don't star in? That will be the day I take him seriously. Yes, I enjoyed The Town enormously. But still.

by Anonymousreply 4309/06/2012

R43, Casey Affleck is an excellent actor. What's your beef with him?

by Anonymousreply 4409/06/2012

I don't have a "beef" with Casey Affleck. I'm ambivalent about him. If he weren't around I wouldn't miss him. I just think Ben needs to widen his circle. I like that he had Jon Hamm & Jeremy Renner in his last movie.

He makes these movies, but either he or his brother is in them. I'd like him to be a pure director, and make a movie not worrying about it being a star vehicle for himself or his family.

by Anonymousreply 4509/06/2012

Casey was great when he played Robert Ford.

by Anonymousreply 4609/06/2012

I hear he offered Matt the role of H. Ross Perot.

by Anonymousreply 4709/06/2012

Just came back from critics' preview. Ronnie isn't even mentioned. The focus is on the 6 in the Canadian Embassy vs the mass emotional demonstrations of the Iranian masses. Surprisingly tension filled even though you know the outcome. The climax, though very well filmed, probably stretches the truth a little too much. Wonder if the US Ambassador to Iran was really that clueless. CIA comes across as filled with bureaucrats who have more power than brains, and somewhat out of touch. Alan Arkin and John Goodman looked like they had a great time making fun of Hollywood. Wonder if their portrayal is at all accurate.

by Anonymousreply 4810/05/2012

Casey Affleck was indeed great as Bob Ford, but I cannot warm to him in other roles. I would love to see Ben Affleck write and direct a film starring Jeremy Renner and Sam Rockwell.

by Anonymousreply 4912/02/2012

This could really happen! I really could beat Steven Spielberg and Daniel Day-Lewis!!!

by Anonymousreply 5012/02/2012

Casey is a great actor, any director is lucky to work with him.

by Anonymousreply 5102/15/2013

I still wonder why Ben Afflick and Bigalow made pro CIA films?

by Anonymousreply 5203/17/2013

Casey Affleck is an atrocious actor. Good thing he's cute.

by Anonymousreply 5303/17/2013

He's a great actor, you stupid cunt. Don't open your mouth when you don't know anything.

by Anonymousreply 5403/17/2013

How the fuck was Argo right win propaganda?

It is critical of American support for the Shah It explains and sympathizes with Iranian anger than we gave him assylum. It is about rescuing Americans who took refuge in the Canadian ambassador's house to escape the hostage confinement.

That is what it is about. Unless one things it is right wing for the U.S. to make good on its obligations to get Americans we sent to Teheran as foreign service workers safely home - a ridiculous notion - how the fuck is this story right wing?

by Anonymousreply 5503/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!