Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

I don't see what's so hot about Firefox

I downloaded it after reading so many raves on here, but it is horrible. It takes forever to open and it is always updating something. Is there a lite version?

by Anonymousreply 6204/17/2013

I used to love Firefox until I tried Google Chrome. The latter is now my favorite browser and it's pretty quick. Try it, OP.

by Anonymousreply 108/31/2012

Firefox sucks.

I use IE9 and Chrome. I won't even load FireFox on my machine.

by Anonymousreply 208/31/2012

I would never use anything owned by google. It's too bad some of you don't seem to mind handing over your privacy willfully.

I've used Firefox for years and it's the only browser I use. It does not take forever to open and it is not always updating. I don't know why you would make things up just to bash it.

It's clean with a minimalist feel.

by Anonymousreply 308/31/2012

What could Firefox possibly be updating at this late date? This sounds like a shill post. Version 15 added even more memory improvements, and considering all the addons available, it's fair to say it can do almost anything.

by Anonymousreply 408/31/2012

Does anyone else have problems with stuttering YouTube play? I adjusted how often it updates session restore from 10 seconds to 2 minutes, and it helped, but I'd still like YouTube play to be more stable. A lot of times I don't even care to see the video, I just want to hear the audio, without stuttering.

by Anonymousreply 508/31/2012

I like Firefox just fine. Too bad people are too stupid to figure out how to utilize it properly.

by Anonymousreply 608/31/2012

Firefox takes forever to open and it crashes all the time. I downloaded v.15 and it did not make any difference.

by Anonymousreply 708/31/2012

Chrome remains the best browser, for either Windows or Mac. Firefox used to be the shit, but I too have had multiple problems with its speed (on both Mac and Windows platforms).

by Anonymousreply 808/31/2012

I HATE Firefox! I use Opera most of the time, and IE the rest of the time.

by Anonymousreply 908/31/2012

I hated Chrome. I had nothing but trouble with it.

by Anonymousreply 1008/31/2012

There is no "Restore previous session" button on Chrome. There is only a "Restore previous tab" option. When I clicked on that, it only restored 1 tab! I wanted to restore 30 tabs!

by Anonymousreply 1108/31/2012

Firefox is great. Only browser I use. I'd never install Data Mining Chrome. It fucking goes through all your files even when you have it closed. It's spyware.

by Anonymousreply 1208/31/2012

Am I the only one still using Safari, lol? I agree that Firefox seems to have a lot of problems. Is it a Mac thing?

by Anonymousreply 1308/31/2012

Another Opera lover here. Try it guys.

I used IE for the past 15 years but IE9 is the most awful browser I ever experienced.

Also a good one seems to be Comodo Dragon that someone here recommended a few months ago. It looks very much like Chrome but that person said it was safer.

by Anonymousreply 1408/31/2012

I love and trust Firefox as the only browser I use at home. And I don't have the trouble other posters describe with the Firefox browser.

by Anonymousreply 1508/31/2012

Opera is Ok but has problems with flash, but Firefox, when it works is the best. IE is like a browser from a bygone era. Chrome is a 7/24, fully body cavity search and credit check. If you use Chrome, Google knows and records when you go to the bathroom - seriously.

by Anonymousreply 1608/31/2012

The LAST words I would use to describe Firefox is "Clean, with a minimalist feel". Jesus. NOW who's just making shit up?

by Anonymousreply 1708/31/2012

Firefox is better than IE, but it is clunky.

by Anonymousreply 1808/31/2012

Firefox appeals to people not for what it does, or how well it works, and certainly not for how it looks, but because of what it's NOT: it's not (Google) Chrome, it's not (Microsoft) IE.

It appeals to the margins, to users who are dead- set against Google or Microsoft or whatever corporate bugbear offends them. You know the type - the ones who will talk your ears off about why they won't go to one fast food restaurant or coffee house or grocery store chain because of its inherent evil... only to patronize a competitor not out of some flip-side allegiance based on virtue or quality but simply because it's not the guy they hate.

by Anonymousreply 1908/31/2012

Somewhat OT but if anyone uses AVG Internet Security, it recently did an update which allows you to see which websites perform data mining and then allows you to block it. It works on Firefox, Chrome and IE I believe.

by Anonymousreply 2008/31/2012

I prefer Chrome.

by Anonymousreply 2108/31/2012

[quote]You know the type - the ones who will talk your ears off about why they won't go to one fast food restaurant or coffee house or grocery store chain because of its inherent evil... only to patronize a competitor not out of some flip-side allegiance based on virtue or quality but simply because it's not the guy they hate.

That sounds EXACTLY like someone I know who hates Apple and Facebook with the passion of a thousand suns ... but will defend Google and its data-mining ways to the ends of the earth.

by Anonymousreply 2208/31/2012

Firefox is fine - it's got issues with gmail, though. I can't imagine any sane individual using Explorer any more than they were forced to do so.

by Anonymousreply 2308/31/2012

I use Chrome but I'm wondering what they're doing with all that data they get from users, it's kind of creepy.

by Anonymousreply 2408/31/2012

[quote]I can't imagine any sane individual using Explorer any more than they were forced to do so.

Your ignorance is not a reflection on others, but on your.

IE9 is fine, and IE10 is very good.

Get over your out-dated prejudices.

by Anonymousreply 2508/31/2012

Google Chrome is 100% invasive technology. It mines your harddrive even when you are offline.

by Anonymousreply 2609/01/2012

[quote]R25: Your ignorance is not a reflection on others, but on your.

Classic

by Anonymousreply 2709/01/2012

I like Opera and until the Opera folks screw it up I am sticking with that.

Chrome turned my hard drive into a power bottom.

Firefox is like the Irish Traveler of browsers.

Internet Explorer I just plainly never dug.

by Anonymousreply 2809/01/2012

Firefox WAS good. It was the VHS of it's day.

But now Firefox, which is based on Mozilla is old, and dated and subject to internal struggles.

Chrome is based on Webkit and IE is based on another browser engine.

K-Meleon was a lightning fast great browser too. But being also based on the Mozilla engine it now is a joke.

Mozilla is the problem the foundation is horrible now.

by Anonymousreply 2909/02/2012

What do you make of Safari? It's my primary browser and I like how it's customised for gestures on my macbook pro.

by Anonymousreply 3009/02/2012

I dont trust Chrome.

If someone can tell if IE has addons like Adblockplus and Downloadhelper, then I would switch back to IE. I would also need a spell checker like I have in Firefox.

by Anonymousreply 3109/02/2012

OP, try Maxthon 3. It has the best of both worlds. It uses both engines of Firefox andInternet Explorer and is highly customizable and fast. For those who love Chrome but not it's datamining activities, I recommend to try Iron.

by Anonymousreply 3209/02/2012

I'm with R29. Firefox was great ... about 8 years ago.

Now it's bloated and buggy.

by Anonymousreply 3309/02/2012

I use Firefox Aurora - the beta browser - and I love it. No issues with speed, loading, or memory hogging. It does update almost every day but I like to close out every night anyway so it doesn't bother me.

Also, Firefox is the only browser that figured out how to incorporate a spell check.

by Anonymousreply 3409/02/2012

After using IE for years, I finally decided to try Firefox, and so far I think it works great. It seems fast and hasn't done anything to slow down my system. I really like it so far.

by Anonymousreply 3503/28/2013

Two questions:

1. How do I get Chrome, which I DLed once but only used for one night, to stop mining?

2. Does Adblock Plus, or something equally good, work on IE?

by Anonymousreply 3603/28/2013

Mozilla Foxfire is horrible! They take too much control of my computer. It slows down your computer because they constantly run a scan check. The poster who said they have issue when they use YouTube is correct. When you play YouTube or any video it stops and goes and its aggravating to no end. Also, let say you want to listen to music on YouTube on one window and you minimize that window to open another window to skim the net, the music pauses ever-time you have any movement in another window.

BTW, I'm warning everyone about this because I care. I received a couple of emails that are legitimate, which they are warning people to stay away from Google because they are taking files on everything you do. They are going to violate your privacy big time so I won't use Google with a ten foot pole.

by Anonymousreply 3703/29/2013

[quote]Also, Firefox is the only browser that figured out how to incorporate a spell check.

Bitch, please

by Anonymousreply 3803/29/2013

So which browser is best?

by Anonymousreply 3903/29/2013

I've never used Chrome as I try to avoid any product coming from google. Privacy concerns, of course. They've been sued so many times and their invasive tactics have been called out but google doesn't seem to care. I don't think a lot of people care either.

I use FireFox and I've never had any problems with it. It has been my browser for almost a decade. In the late '90s and early 2000s I used IE but like Bing, it just seemed content being average.

by Anonymousreply 4003/29/2013

R37 I can't believe you had such bad problems with Firefox. It doesn't slow down my computer at all.

I do agree about not using Chrome. All of the stories I've read about it being so invasive is really creepy.

by Anonymousreply 4103/29/2013

IE10 is the best browser as judged by the experts at cnet dot com. It is fast, fast, uses little memory, has all of the tabbing options of other browsers.

by Anonymousreply 4203/29/2013

Pale Moon

by Anonymousreply 4303/29/2013

In Chrome, does it have favorites or Bookmarks and can I have them in a column on screen?

by Anonymousreply 4403/29/2013

[quote]In Chrome, does it have favorites or Bookmarks and can I have them in a column on screen?

Yes, they're called Bookmarks in Chrome, and are easily imported from another browser and easily managed.

As for having them in a column always visible as you open and close other webpages, not to my knowledge. You can, however, open them in a separate tab as 'Bookmark Manager' which may have a different initial feel to it but is very much the same. From my experience, Google is much better at suggesting a bookmarked link when typing just a few characters into the navigation bar, so it eliminates much of the need of referring to an actual list of bookmarks (other browsers do this, but not so well). Though I used to rely heavily on a column of extensive bookmarks, I use Bookmark Manager rarely now, when struck with an urge for housekeeping or to reacquaint myself with a group of bookmarks saved on some infrequently referenced subject area.

by Anonymousreply 4503/29/2013

I use Safari on a mac and agree Firefox is a mess. Why no reviews of Safari? Does no one else use it?

by Anonymousreply 4603/29/2013

Firefox pulls too many resources. It is too bulky and busy.

by Anonymousreply 4703/29/2013

FireFox is slow, bloated crap.

Google datamines the hell out of everything you type and everything you browse.

Safari is crap and only works on Macs/iOS.

And people wonder why I use IE10.

by Anonymousreply 4803/29/2013

R48, can you get Adblock Plus on IE10?

by Anonymousreply 4903/29/2013

Safari sucks. They dont even have sidetab bookmarks.

by Anonymousreply 5004/02/2013

Then what works best on Macs if not Safari? I really miss it when forced to use a PC at work.

by Anonymousreply 5104/03/2013

Like Safari. Only browser I will use.

by Anonymousreply 5204/03/2013

Safari does not even have side bookmarks. Major flaw.

by Anonymousreply 5304/17/2013

I don't give a shit about side bookmarks. Safari is my choice for Macs. And if I have to use a non-Apple device it really doesn't matter what search engine I use, because the computers are so shitty.

by Anonymousreply 5404/17/2013

Not sure why FF is getting so much flack here, given how hideous IE continues to be (very slow, user unfriendly and over-complicated). I'll take anything over IE, including FF. I only use IE when I absolutely have to (some applications only support IE, which is very short sighted for the developers in question),

by Anonymousreply 5504/17/2013

I used Firefox back when IE was terrible and Chrome didn't exist.

Then Chrome came along, and it had a minimalist feel, was lightning fast, and had great features that Firefox didn't at the time - like Private Browsing windows and restoring closed tabs. Firefox has begun to imitate Chrome's minimalist feel and feature set, but it's still significantly slower.

However, I'm now back to IE, something I thought would never happen. IE 10 is fast, minimalist, has the features I need, and has a real 'do not track' feature.

I still keep Chrome on my PC as a backup for sites that don't work with IE.

by Anonymousreply 5604/17/2013

Love Firefox. Thanks to AdBlock I hardly ever see any ads, and thanks to Ghostery I can snoop around my enemies' blogs unseen. Wheeee!

by Anonymousreply 5704/17/2013

I have stucked with Firefox despite some changes and slowing down/crashing more frequently because I love the add-ons. They are the main reasons I never moved.

by Anonymousreply 5804/17/2013

I've been using Chrome because I like the layout but I think I'm giving it up. It continually crashes and I'm getting tired of it. It comes with some version of Adobe Flash already installed, so if you have Adobe already installed on your computer or any other Flash player, Chrome can't cope. I've tried to fix the problem and now I've just given up.

Don't like it no more and don't trust it.

by Anonymousreply 5904/17/2013

I never cared for IE. Does anybody remember Netscape?

Generally, I like Firefox. My only complaint is that it freezes and non responsive.

If I want to change to Google Chrome, could I just uninstall Firefox?

by Anonymousreply 6004/17/2013

The only time I have a problem with Firefox is when I open it. It often takes a long time to load the first page and I have to click on that grey box. After that it's great.

by Anonymousreply 6104/17/2013

R61 Same! I thought it was my laptop.

by Anonymousreply 6204/17/2013
Need more help? Click Here.