Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Dead as a door nail.

Another Hollywood suicide.

by Anonymousreply 3404/11/2013

Producer of Leonardo DiCaprio movie dead in suspected suicide

August 30, 2012 | 4:30am

A movie producer was found dead in the Angeles National Forest after his car plunged off a mountain road.

Family members identified the man as producer Brian Gerber, who worked with Leonardo DiCaprio on the environmental film "11th Hour."

Gerber, whose producing credits include a number of documentaries, was reported missing Monday, according to authorities.

Authorities say they had been notified by his family that he was distraught and thinking of running his car off a cliff in the area.

Wednesday, deputies received a call about 6 a.m. about a crash near mile marker 31.

Investigators also found a suicide note nearby.

Family members issued the following statement on his Facebook page Wednesday:

"Our worst fears regarding Brian Gerber have been confirmed. Brian's family thanks you for all the condolences, good thoughts, prayers and asks for your patience and understanding during this most difficult of times. Obviously they are overwhelmed with this situation and are asking for privacy. We will be in touch as soon as arrangements have been made for services."

Gerber, 41, was one of the people behind the popular event Digital Hollywood. He is survived by two sons and his wife, actress Arabella Fields.

by Anonymousreply 108/30/2012

by Anonymousreply 208/30/2012

It's like lemmings out there. But that first comment to the article is horrible. What a pig.

by Anonymousreply 408/30/2012

I once hit a patch of Black Ice on the Angeles Crest Highway and was almost hurtled over the side of the cliff. The car did two 360s and when I got out I could see where the front of the car had cut two half-circles in the snow on the side of the road ... in other words, the front of the car actually swung out over the cliff. I will never forget it. 3 am. Bunch of friends in the car. I remember thinking nobody would ever find us. Poor guy. Wouldn't exhaust fumes in a locked garage been less horrifying?

by Anonymousreply 508/30/2012

Now if only Joel Silver and Scott Rudin can get suicide fantasies...

by Anonymousreply 608/30/2012

[quote] Wouldn't exhaust fumes in a locked garage been less horrifying?

The drawback there is you'd have to wait to pass out, knowing you could call it off at any time by running out of the garage. There's also the possibility you'll be discovered and rescued before you die. With driving over a cliff, once you've decided to do it there's no going back.

by Anonymousreply 708/30/2012

I recognized the name of his wife right away because I'm always watching Matthew Broderick's movie Godzilla when it's on cable and she had a fairly big part in it playing Hank Azaria's wife. Sad news for his wife and kids.

by Anonymousreply 808/30/2012

Everyone noticed that he too drove a Prius

by Anonymousreply 908/31/2012

by Anonymousreply 1010/30/2012

Is it just me, or is it weird these suicides are happening since the Sandusky story broke.

Tony Scott's death is still weird to me.

by Anonymousreply 1210/30/2012

What changed in recent history that so many higher rups from behind the scenes start wandering off or killing themselves? Was the murder of the PR lady the the beginning of it?

by Anonymousreply 1310/30/2012

Yes, r12, it's just you. And please just keep it to yourself.

by Anonymousreply 1410/30/2012

"The Jews get all the money. Then they die."

by Anonymousreply 1510/30/2012

Another yesterday:

PASSINGS: Alan Kirschenbaum

Alan Kirschenbaum, a TV producer and comedy writer who worked on shows including 'Raising Hope,' 'My Name is Earl' and 'Yes, Dear,' dies at 51.

by Anonymousreply 1610/30/2012

Gerber - murder

by Anonymousreply 1710/30/2012

Why, R17? By whom?

by Anonymousreply 1810/30/2012

I believe suicide will become more and more prevalent as humans realize that life is utterly meaningless and there is no god to comfort us.

by Anonymousreply 1910/30/2012

R13, her death is rumored to be a mafia killing isn't it? Maybe they got something on these people?

by Anonymousreply 2010/30/2012

Sir Ian?

by Anonymousreply 2110/30/2012

Actually, thinking about it, in Hollywood odd murders and suicides nothing new. William Desmond Taylor and George Reeves are two cases that come to mind. It could be the nature of the entertainment business attracts people who singular lives often make then susceptible to singular deaths.

by Anonymousreply 2210/30/2012

Seems to me the CIA is busy again...making every death seem like a suicide or an accident. Are any of the dead people part of the Republican party?

by Anonymousreply 2303/15/2013

I think murder is usually the cause and since the LA police department is always paid off...everything is either suicide or accident. That's just the way it is.

by Anonymousreply 2403/15/2013

Why are there so many conspiracy nuts posting here?

by Anonymousreply 2503/15/2013

The entertainment business attracts mentally unstable men. Think about it: most boys want to grow up to be active and smart men. They want to be athletes, firemen, doctors, etc.

What little boy dreams of being a screenwriter, or movie producer? Maybe a little boy who is too isolated and lacking in self-esteem.

I think men who become successful in the entertainment business eventually realize that they are in an emasculated field and they become depressed. They are not smart enough to go into medicine, or law, and not butch enough to be athletes or steel workers. There wives, who marry them for money and prestige, start to look at the garbage man with his big pecs and Mr. Hollywood producer senses this.

And these men killing themselves, leaving a wife and children, are cowardly in that way as well.

by Anonymousreply 2603/15/2013

If you make it in Hollywood, it's kind of like winning the lottery. A lot of people want to be writers. I knew a guy who wrote for television, he had some lean years but he ended up making a lot of money and meeting a lot of stars and marrying a couple of beautiful women. When it works out, there's nothing better.

by Anonymousreply 2704/11/2013

Some of the suicides might have something to do with money problems?

by Anonymousreply 2804/11/2013

From the Kirchenbaum obit

[quote] After experiencing some success, he resumed his passion for harness racing and owned a number of horses

Compulsive gambler. Probably in a shitload of debt.

by Anonymousreply 2904/11/2013

I always find it quite telling when people who are married commit suicide. The surviving spouse deserves as much blame as the person who committed suicide.

by Anonymousreply 3004/11/2013

[quote] What little boy dreams of being a screenwriter, or movie producer? Maybe a little boy who is too isolated and lacking in self-esteem.

Jewish ones from Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, NJ and CA. My partner is Jewish and his nephews (and nieces) are trying to write a screenplay or work on "script development," taking film studies classes, trying to be stand up comedians, filming bar mitzvahs and weddings as practice for being a film director or editor, etc.

They're also taking business classes so they can get an MBA if the film thing doesn't pan out.

Some of his relatives are in show biz in one way or another. One guy was an official PR filmmaker for the NBA, one guy works in PR for the Mets in radio and television, another is a radio deejay (who's taken deep cuts in pay the past few years), one guy owns a few movie theaters.

Nobody in his immediate family, however, is successful in any way at all.

by Anonymousreply 3104/11/2013

Who the fuck bumped this thread?

What the hell is wrong with you?

by Anonymousreply 3204/11/2013

R30, that is the MOST delusional thing I have ever read.

by Anonymousreply 3304/11/2013

Stop bumping shit! Pay the fucking $18!

by Anonymousreply 3404/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!