Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Tagg Romney on dinner: 'Dad always goes first in line'

I know this is a petty thing, but it just adds to my longstanding perception of Romney as just kind of a selfish prig. Who does this?

In my family, and each of my parent's families... the youngest go first. Or the ones that need the most help (the very young and the very old go first).

To me, Romney just comes off as a spoiled rotten little kid. Once one, always one. It's all about HIM. If a man is willing to cut in front of his own kids and grandkids, what is he willing to do for everyday citizens who are total strangers to him

I just don't understand this top down world view dominated by males with a male-centric God at the top with Dad right below.

Romney has been happily cutting to the front of the line in every aspect of his life. See: offshore tax shelters. See: profitting from sending companies overseas. See: betraying previous positions and telling outright lies to gain a few votes.

by Anonymousreply 7911/12/2012

Oh, and don't forget this other fine example Mitt feeling like he's privileged to cut in front of everyone else. For the rest of us, fines are to keep you from doing something. For guys like Mitt, fines are just a service charge.

[bold]Mitt Romney Was Arrested For Disorderly Conduct In 1981[/bold]

It’s a little reported anecdote, but in 1981 presumptive Republican Presidential nominee Mitt Romney was arrested for disorderly conduct. The issue of Romney’s arrest first came to light during his 1994 Senate run against incumbent Senator Ted Kennedy, appearing at an unfortunate time while Romney was running ads talking to police officers with sirens in the background, promising to be tough on crime

According to what Romney told the Boston Globe in 1994, he had taken his family off to Wayland, Mass.'s Lake Cochituate, about an hour outside Boston, for a summer excursion. As Romney prepared to put his family boat into the water, a park officer told Romney not to launch because his license appeared to have been painted over. The officer told Romney if he put his boat into the water he would face a $50 fine.

Romney felt that his license was still visible and decided to ignore the order from the officer and pay the fine.

"I figured I was at the state park with my kids. My five kids were in the car wondering why we weren't going out in the boat, so I said I'd launch and pay the fine,” Romney said in 1994.

Romney said the officer didn’t tell him not to launch his boat, just that he would face a fine for doing so.

"I was willing to pay the fine. But if he had said don't launch the boat and not mentioned the fine, I would not have done it," Romney said.

After Romney put the family boat into the water, the officer reappeared visibly angry and arrested Romney for disorderly conduct. Romney was handcuffed on the scene, taken to the local police station, and booked.

"There I was, dripping wet in a bathing suit," Romney told the Globe. A magistrate let him go without bail.

Several days later, Romney appeared in Natick District Court and threatened to sue the arresting office for a false arrest. The charges were dropped and sealed at Romney’s request.

"He did not have the right to arrest me because I was not a disorderly person. This was an obvious case of false arrest," Romney said. "The officer obviously agreed because he agreed to dropping the case."

by Anonymousreply 108/29/2012

As a future Mormon God sons, and their invisible wives, always let their Earthy Fathers go first.

by Anonymousreply 208/29/2012

I've been reading about George Romney. I swear that man was to the left of Obama! I would've voted for him.

Thank God he isn't alive to see the shit he raised.

by Anonymousreply 308/29/2012

There's something really insightful about that – Romney as the cut to the front of the line candidate. There's nothing in his history that tells me he has any perception of fairness. Always "me first and the rest of you get what's left." I think that's why he always seems so angry. He can't believe he had to wait this long to be the Repub nominee for president.

There's nothing worse than being cut in front of in line by some entitled asshole. People can relate to that. The DNC should use this.

by Anonymousreply 408/29/2012

Did Ann Romney and Sarah Palin read the same baby names book when they were pregnant?

by Anonymousreply 508/29/2012

Romney: The Cut-To-The-Front-Of-The-Line candidate.

Entitled asshole.

by Anonymousreply 608/29/2012

by Anonymousreply 708/29/2012

Thinks he is a Mormon patriarch of old … meaning the '50s.

by Anonymousreply 808/29/2012

In fairness, it was his work screwing average people over that paid for the food in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 908/29/2012

To be fair, in that cult of theirs, the father figure gets first dibs at everything.

by Anonymousreply 1008/29/2012

I'm sure that when the family eats in a restaurant, he orders gobs and gobs of food for himself, then sticks someone else with the bill. Because that's exactly the business model at Bain Capital - load companies up with debt, take millions for yourself as 'fees', then split while someone else holds the bag.

by Anonymousreply 1108/29/2012

Trog says, "Grrnt."

And Trigg says: "Blobblupplipplipp."

by Anonymousreply 1208/29/2012

My dad told me the same thing about my virginity.

by Anonymousreply 1308/29/2012

I'm with OP. That seems very selfish. In my family old people, children, guests always go first. The host and hostess always last.

The "Dad always goes first" smacks of patriarchy.

by Anonymousreply 1408/29/2012

I haven't thought about this ever in my life but on retrospecvt I see a pattern in my life here;

Formal family gathering- the youngest women (my mom and aunts) served from a buffet the oldest women first (grandma etc), the oldest men second and then the kids and then themselves.

Informal ocassions- family reunions and barbeque the men always served everyone first.

by Anonymousreply 1508/29/2012

In my very traditional midwestern family, big holiday meals were served buffet style. The men always went first and sat around the big dining room table. The children went next and sat at card table in the laundry room. And the women went last and ate while standing in the kitchen or sitting at the kitchen table. When my sister went to college (first attendee in the family), she somehow just got 'promoted' to the "men's" table without any mention of it.

So glad to be gone from all that.

by Anonymousreply 1608/29/2012

Very traditional southern family here and I don't think we had an order.

Most dinners ended with a loud argument about politics or religion but they generally started with everyone deferring to everyone til the host or hostess finally pushed someone to go on. When my grandparents became physically challenged one of my aunts always fixed them a plate first, but they'd still insist that they should wait.

by Anonymousreply 1708/29/2012

In my family it was pretty random who went first. I don't think anyone cared.

by Anonymousreply 1808/29/2012

My Mother said that when she was little men ate first because they had to physically provide for the family, and needed the most food. In those days there wasn't enough. In my girlfriends' Christian household people ate in reverse order of age, showing respect to the elderly. Of course everyone initially took small portions until everyone was served, and then had seconds after.

by Anonymousreply 1908/29/2012

Usually the elderly go first out of respect. Especially in Asian cultures.

In our house we serve the kids first but mostly to get food in their mouth quickly so they will shut up. We went to a chinese restaurant once and they put all the items in the center of the table and one of our kids started to reach for the sweet and sour pork and I swear that server was about to bitch slap the kid. We had elderly with us and the server insisted she be served first. When I grew up, it was always the same, at holidays the grandparents would be the one to say grace, carve the turkey/ham and be served first.

Now we live in a kids rule world so it's flipped.

by Anonymousreply 2008/29/2012

[quote]Man, I wasn't even BORN in 1981

by Anonymousreply 2208/29/2012

Dad will no longer go anywhere near his favorites of mushy peas or bangers, since the whole Olympics debacle. Those darn Brits just won't let a debacle go. We're just waiting for the headline: Twister Twists Mitt's Tampa Turnout

by Anonymousreply 2308/29/2012

Good grief. We have plenty, PLENTY of substantive objections to Romney's candidacy. I don't give a shit whether he goes first, last, or in between when in line for dinner. Focusing on these types of things is petty and ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 2408/29/2012

I'd much rather be at the front of the line than at the back of the bus.

by Anonymousreply 2508/29/2012

R21 = Megan McCain

by Anonymousreply 2708/29/2012

[quote]Good lord; have you been outside of the country, OP? There are numerous cultures where the eldest or heads if the family are respected and always are given priority before kids and younger. Your post makesure dripping with ignorance.

Like this one at the link?

by Anonymousreply 2808/29/2012

The peculiar and embarrassing "family traditions" shared here are all fine. They don't alter actual polite social convention, of which many posters obviously are unaware, as is, no doubt, the celestial and bishopy Mr. Romney.

He belongs to a backward, materialistic, secretive cult developed by social rejects. What is the excuse of the posters here, one wonders?

by Anonymousreply 2908/29/2012

We've given you all the excuse you need, R29.

by Anonymousreply 3008/29/2012

In Fundamentalist familes, the man is the head of the family, he gets the best food, biggest cuts of meat, gets his laundry done first, the most expensive clothes, etc. The best of everything is saved for him, the kids gladly sacrifice for him, etc. Kids are taught Daddy deserves the best of everything.

Other Xtian Fundie denominations teach the same thing, I've seen it on a lot of fundie blogs. They are very unself-conscious about it and don't see anything wrong.

Mitt is probably very proud everybody in the familty sacrifices for him, it shows they respect the Alpha Dog.

by Anonymousreply 3108/29/2012

Supposedly that is because the man is viewed as the provider and it is the job of everybody else to make his job of providing as easy as possible.

by Anonymousreply 3208/29/2012

For Mormon families he's their Priest, their ticket to eternal life and ultimately a god.

by Anonymousreply 3408/29/2012

Most of us were children once.

by Anonymousreply 3508/29/2012

[quote]DLers talking about how parents should interact with their children

Because none of us have kids, amirite, cunt?

by Anonymousreply 3608/29/2012

Also, no gays have ever had parents. So naturally they have no idea what families are like. Only straight people were raised in a family. Gays were hatched from eggs laid on the beach at Malibu or Fire Island. After pecking their way out, they go directly for cocktails on the beach.

by Anonymousreply 3708/29/2012

Many Dlers are parents.

by Anonymousreply 3908/29/2012

[quote] I know this is a petty thing, but it just adds to my longstanding perception of Romney as just kind of a selfish prig. Who does this?

The one with all the money makes the rules

[quote] To be fair, in that cult of theirs, the father figure gets first dibs at everything.

I work for a company owned by three generations in the same cult and they are all like that. I also have relatives who are Lutheran and only the men can vote in the church. Women can be on the board, but they have to give their vote to a man and he votes for her. It's an asinine waste of time doing all that, but it's medieval and that's why they like to keep it like that

by Anonymousreply 4008/29/2012

There are PLENTY gay, lesbian and bisexual parents who post here on Datalounge, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 4108/29/2012

People who raise children understand that parents should get the best of everything, the children should get the leftover scraps? Having the "responsibility of raising a child" means the adults are entitled to stuff themselves to the gills, the kids get whatever falls from the corners of your mouth after you've fed?

Man, not in my family. My mother sacrificed for me every day. So did my dad. But of course I can't possibly appreciate that because I don't have children myself. Only a parent could understand whether they had a good parent.

Why don't you leave a little food on the table for the kids, Hungry?

by Anonymousreply 4208/29/2012

Actually, Romney's behaviour is sociopathic to the extent that it actually contradicts "normal" evolutionary behaviour (according to Hamilton amongst others) where parents have a vested interest in the survival of their offspring.

With so many children, and with each child carrying 50% of his genes, in theory he should definitely be allowing his children to go first - it makes more evolutionary sense than he himself going first, since the total genetic makeup of his children's genes surpasses his own (obviously he is 100% related to himself, but his kids will be 50% + 50% + 50% + 50% + 50% = 250% Mitt-genes).

His general behaviour is confounding and this is as well.

by Anonymousreply 4308/29/2012

R33, No it's NOT ironic. How a man interacts with his wife and children provides clues about how he deals with people and his leadership style. I don't need to have kids, to appreciate Obamas' concern for quality education of his and others. The discussion on this thread of WHO eats first and WHY, comparing our families to that of MR, relates to understanding how MR views himself and his place in the world. All of this is crucial in choosing a president. I'll bet Obama often lets his wife eat first, because that's how he views women based on HIS religious upbringing of respecting others. AND who does NOT believe that his mother-in-law gets a special place as a senior?

by Anonymousreply 4408/29/2012

[quote]And the Romney children seem to have turned out pretty well

I'm sure we can thank the nannies for that.

by Anonymousreply 4608/29/2012

holy crap that means his wife never had an orgasm

and tagg is a very sara palin name. maybe she'll name the next kid this.

by Anonymousreply 4708/29/2012

That's correct, this country, meaning the political positions it is possible for our leaders to take, has moved so far to the right that Obama is to the right of the liberal Republicans from a generation ago.

In terms of using the federal government to seek solutions to problems we all face, Obama is to the right of Richard Nixon.

by Anonymousreply 4808/29/2012

No it's just that the asshole took up a patriarchical religion where the man is supreme and the little women and children obey his pronouncements. It might be alright for Mormans but do we really want a President who thinks he has all the answers on his own and doesn't listen to anyone else?

by Anonymousreply 4908/29/2012

Fuck you, R33, you homophobic piece of shit.

by Anonymousreply 5008/29/2012

[quote]Actually, Romney's behaviour is sociopathic to the extent that it actually contradicts "normal" evolutionary behaviour (according to Hamilton amongst others) where parents have a vested interest in the survival of their offspring.

Then the country is filled with psychopaths who are far more extreme

[quote]More Americans are saving today for a big-ticket purchase in the short term -- like a car, a vacation or a home improvement project -- than for their children's college education, according to a survey released Monday by the Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards and the Consumer Federation of America.

by Anonymousreply 5108/29/2012

[quote] The best of everything is saved for him

Jesus washed the disciples' feet.

And most cultures that behave in the way of the Romneys are loser cultures (I'm looking at you, Mexico).

by Anonymousreply 5308/29/2012

My mother served my father first, then my grandmother, then passed the food to us kids so we could serve ourselves. She filled her own plate last.

No one took a bite until we all had our food. It was a sign of respect for our father who worked overtime every week of our lives growing up.

And we weren't allowed to leave the table until our parents excused us.

There was nothing selfish about this.

by Anonymousreply 5408/29/2012

R24, congratulations, you shallow-fuckwad, on completely missing the entire point. You must be so proud of your ignorant little self.

by Anonymousreply 5608/29/2012

R28 actually has the audacity to call someone ELSE ignorant when he obviously cannot put two and two together? (as in, the OP post and R1)?

by Anonymousreply 5708/29/2012

R57 is incapable of seeing the broader context, the big picture.

by Anonymousreply 5808/29/2012

No, R58, it's you that's missing the bigger picture. And missing the entire point. Try again.

by Anonymousreply 5908/29/2012

We served one went first. We just sat at the table and passed plates. Jesus. My mom would have laughed her ass off at my dad if he demanded to be served first.

by Anonymousreply 6008/29/2012

How is it that none of his sons is gay? In most families, at least one would be.

by Anonymousreply 6109/02/2012

R4/R6 gets it.

Those of you obsessing over how people eat meals are missing the point.

by Anonymousreply 6209/02/2012

Mittens is indeed a spoiled bully.

by Anonymousreply 6311/10/2012

So the woman who produces all the children, and does the housekeeping, childrearing, and cooks the meal, isn't deserving of any respect? Only the man who works outside the home is deserving of respect, because his job is so much "harder"?

I've worked at a job most of my adult life. My sister not only worked a full time job, but raised two daughters without much input from their dad. He remarried a woman who didn't approve of him having anything to do with his own kids. My sister had full time jobs from bank vice president to Pizza Hut employee to support her kids. Nobody ever waited on her hand and foot as if she was a queen. If they had, she would have died of shock.

Believe me, nothing is easier than working a job, then coming home and being waited on hand and foot by a family of servants who wait on you as if you were God. Every adult is expected to work for a living. Mothers are often expected to work outside the home and keep their families and kids going too. Nobody waits on mothers hand and foot as if they were gods. Most of the women I know get up early and are going all day until they fall into bed late at night.

WHAT exactly did Mitt Romney or any man do to deserve to be treated like they are better and more important than every other member of their family? Go to work? Just like every other adult man in America has to do? That makes him better than everyone else? Bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 6511/12/2012

Also, my dad shits in my mouth and I like it.

by Anonymousreply 6611/12/2012

Strange, in my family the old people and kids eat first.

by Anonymousreply 6711/12/2012

Most patriarchal societies are like this. The men eat first, the women last. Mormons and Dominionists, like some Muslims and orthodox Jews, are male dominated and females reduced to servants and broodmares.

by Anonymousreply 6811/12/2012

In my family we all ate together. Once the meal commenced we'd pick up the dish in front of us and take some, then pass it to the person on the left and receive another dish from the person on the right. By the time everything had gone around once, all dishes were returned to the center of the table. If you had a child or old person who couldn't hold the dish and serve themselves sitting next to you, you helped them when you helped yourself. There was no hierarchy.

We were godless blue collar people though, not Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 6911/12/2012

I've always known it to be that everybody sits down at the table, and when we are all there, we just eat. Collectively, as a community, kumbayah and all that. Not just in my house growing up, but everywhere I ever ate.

by Anonymousreply 7011/12/2012

Me too, R67. In my family, we make sure every young kid and every elder, gets served first. If it's a large family gathering, the elders get a plate made up and carried to them, brought a napkin, a drink, or whatever else they want, as many trips as it takes, before the younger adults eat a bite. That's because our parents raised us to have manners and have respect for others, instead of raising us as if dinner was some kind of "the biggest bully gets all the best food" ritual. As my mother would say, we weren't raised in a barn by a pack of wolves. We were raised to be decent human beings, not wild animals.

The Romneys and other Fundmentalists' idea that the biggest and strongest get the best of everything isn't "Christian," it's survival of the biggest bully. I don't respect anyone who raises their children to think putting the weakest and most helpless last is decent behavior. It isn't. Romney's entire life and everything he stands for reflects this point of view - "might makes right."

by Anonymousreply 7111/12/2012

Yes, that is what I have known - everyone eating at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 7211/12/2012

That works too R70 but my family tends to do buffet style as we are so large. Like R71 we bring the elders a plate and the kids, mainly to get them quiet and allow us an uninterrupted dinner.

by Anonymousreply 7411/12/2012

by Anonymousreply 7511/12/2012

[quote]WHAT exactly did Mitt Romney or any man do to deserve to be treated like they are better and more important than every other member of their family?

Because they are MEN. Period.

by Anonymousreply 7611/12/2012

In the Romney household, Rafalca eats last.

by Anonymousreply 7711/12/2012

R54 I understood your point (unlike R55). Most of the posters here would not get it, respect and tradition in families of a generation or two ago.

by Anonymousreply 7811/12/2012

Hey Mitt, we like firing people too.

by Anonymousreply 7911/12/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!