Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

GOP Senate candidate Josh Mandel calls auto industry bailout un-American

Tue Aug. 28, 2012

Josh Mandel is the boyish-faced, factually-challenged Republican candidate vying to unseat Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio). Until last weekend, Mandel had refused to stake out a clear position on what had become a key issue in this Rust Belt race: whether Congress was right to rescue auto manufacturers General Motors and Chrysler with a $15 billion federal bailout. It was a glaring omission for Mandel, a national candidate in a battleground state where the automotive industry employs upwards of 140,000 Ohioans.

In a joint interview with Brown on Sunday, however, Mandel broke his silence in a big way. He called Brown "un-American" for voting in favor of the auto industry bailout, claiming that non-union retirees at Delphi, a GM parts supplier, got screwed out of of their pensions because of the government bailouts. (As PolitiFact notes, that's not quite true.)

There's a big problem with branding a yes vote on the auto bailout "un-American": The presumptive vice-presidential nominee for Mandel's own party, Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wisc.), voted yes for that same bailout. Is Ryan un-American, too?

I put that question to Mandel spokesman Travis Considine in an email early Tuesday morning. Considine has yet to reply; we'll update this post if he does.

Ryan was one of 32 House Republicans to vote for the auto bailout on December 10, 2008, vastly outnumbered by the 150 House GOPers who voted against it. Then-Sen. George Voinovich (R-Ohio), in Congress' upper chamber, also voted in support of the auto bailout; he was joined by seven other Senate Republicans. Is Voinovich also un-American, according to Mandel?

Mitt Romney has a more complicated record on the auto bailout. In November 2008, he wrote an op-ed titled "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt." He argued then that rescuing the auto companies would only lead to their demise further down the road. (He was wrong.) Later, Romney tried to claim credit for the auto industry's rebound, despite his insistence that the bailouts would ruin the companies.

Brown, who was present when Mandel called him un-American, declined to respond directly to the charge. Here's the full exchange between Brown and Mandel, as reported by the Columbus Dispatch:

"I don't toss around the word un-American very often—it's a dangerous word to use. But stripping...Delphi employees of their pensions with that [bailout] vote—that is un-American," Mandel said during a sit-down with Brown and editors and reporters of the Dispatch.

"While Josh was running for treasurer in 2009 and 2010, I guess he missed how this auto industry was going to implode," Brown replied. "And to say that my votes closed plants or that my votes caused Delphi workers to lose their pensions or that my votes caused other tragedies and devastations in the auto industry is peculiar when all four auto companies in Ohio and almost the entire supply chain…wanted this because they knew the auto industry might implode."

Brown didn't say anything about the "un-American" label, but one of his campaign aides later said it was disrespectful.

Ohio Democratic Party spokesman Andrew Zucker responded to Mandel's "un-American" charge, saying that "Josh Mandel's opposition to the auto rescue that helped to protect nearly 850,000 Ohio jobs is wildly out of touch with Ohio's middle class, and that's why he's resorted to a despicable personal attack on Sherrod Brown that has no place in our political discourse."

by Anonymousreply 1411/08/2012

Wonder of he thought the same thing about the bank bailout?

by Anonymousreply 108/28/2012

God, I hate this little shit.

by Anonymousreply 208/28/2012

Idiot. My family's business is tied to the auto suppliers. Specifically, the Chrysler plant in Belvidere Illinois. Our business was dying on the vine and we were close to shutting up shop.

The Chrysler plant is doing well, we're doing better. We're a very small business, maybe 30 employees. But this notion of Obama not supporting small business, I just say FUCK YOU ROMNEY.

by Anonymousreply 308/28/2012

You should recommend your family's story for a positive ad spot for Obama. I'm serious. You should think of writing up a short paragraph about the recovery in Belvedere and send it the media people at the DNC or Obama's campaign in Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 408/28/2012

I would love for someone to drug his drink, tie him up, rip off his clothes, and film him being gang-banged by seven bodybuilders...bareback.

by Anonymousreply 508/28/2012

Well, to a point, he's correct. Bailouts are very un-American: they are anti-free trade.

But yes, he's a turd.

by Anonymousreply 608/28/2012

Saving the auto industry is a bad thing in the land of the GOP.

by Anonymousreply 708/28/2012

Isn't Mitt romany supporting the bailout currently this week?. I'm sure next week will be a different story

Of course these people didn't mind bailing out the fucking airline industry after 9/11. They didn't mind the taxpayers having to pay off the victim's families (billions) so they wouldn't sue the airlines into oblivion. They also didn't mind the taxpayers having to pay hundreds of billions dollars to upgrade airline/airport security. Personally I don't want to support and subsidize the airline industry. This shit was all their fault. They should have to pay every damn dime of all these expenses. Not the taxpayers. These things cost taxpayers TRILLIONS. And unlike the auto bailout - not one damn dime of those trillions were reimbursed, nor will they ever be reimbursed. No, those TRILLIONS were just a big fat handout. And that's still not enough, we (the taxpayers) will have to continue to fund trillions more dollars for the airlines in the form of airline security

Note to josh mandel - fuck off you stupid cunt

by Anonymousreply 808/28/2012

Josh Mandel is an abject weasel, whose plans focus on the next-up political office, not how he can help people in his current office.

by Anonymousreply 908/28/2012

I'm also sure mandel was all for the Iraq war. You know the war that has cost us Trillions and trillions. The war they thought would last 2 weeks. The war we keep subsidizing without getting a damn dime from Iraq. You know Iraq. The country with all the oil. They should be repaying us all the money we spent over there. America made the countries we helped out in World War II pay us back. England just finished paying us back a few years ago. American oil companies didn't even get the oil contracts in Iraq. Those went to British Peteroleum (BP). That was to repay England for coming up with the admitted phony documents that got us into the war.

So while Iraq and England rake in Trillions in oil profits, American's are stuck paying almost $4 a gallon for gas and TRILLIONS rebuilding and supporting Iraq. While we have provided health care for Iraqi's, 48 million American's have no health insurance. And we're also stuck paying TRILLIONS of dollars in health care bills now and in the future for all the injured soldiers of our two fabulous wars

And this guy has a problem with the auto bailout? figures

by Anonymousreply 1008/28/2012

Yeah, because they should have just let the auto industry completely collapse so that maybe China could have taken completely taken over that industry, too.

by Anonymousreply 1108/28/2012

R10 makes some good points about the additional expenses that come with war that the media doesn't tell us about

by Anonymousreply 1208/29/2012

British Petroleum (BP) is no longer a British company...

by Anonymousreply 1308/29/2012

R9, I know Josh Mandel. He lives near me. You are correct. He is out for himself and himself alone. Horrible man. He is not qualified for any meaningful public office. I think this election was his swan song. The big money boys who thought they could have their guy in the senate and do their bidding will find someone else. Remember, Mandel spelled backwards in Lednam, which means nothing. I wouldn't toss him out of my bed however. Bet his ass is nice and tight.

by Anonymousreply 1411/08/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!