Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Rupert Penry-Jones

Did a hot turn as Richard Hanay in the new "39 Steps" that was on Masterpiece. The review was a little snotty but he looked hot hot hot.

by Anonymousreply 1710/10/2012

He is hot but the movie was incredibly stupid.

by Anonymousreply 108/25/2012

Hi Rupert!

by Anonymousreply 208/25/2012

He was also in Spooks, known as MI5 over here. That's my favourite show right now.

by Anonymousreply 308/25/2012

And there's a FABULOUS scene in Spooks where he's given a mind-bending drug and dreams that he's naked in bed with a bunch a snakes ...

...and it's quite difficult to tell which snake is the longest.

He's GORGEOUS!

by Anonymousreply 408/26/2012

He's married to Dervla Kirwan, a wonderful actress.

He's had a good career on British TV. He got fired from a pilot he did here in the US a few years ago. He's pretty but dull.

by Anonymousreply 508/26/2012

He's the housewives favourite, isn't he? I don't think he's thought of for his acting. He's just an English beefcake. Used to fuck Kylie Minogue. Now married with kids.

by Anonymousreply 608/26/2012

I sit through his terrible acting in the terrible adaptation of Persuasion just to look at him.

by Anonymousreply 708/26/2012

Saw him live onstage in London about 10 years in Albee's THE PLAY ABOUT THE BABY, where he was totally nude almost the entire time, wearing only a blanket around his shoulders.

To this day, I can tell you nothing about the play (despite it also starring Frances de la Tour and Alan Howard), but I remember every inch of RPJ's body in great detail.

Funnily enough, when I saw the play again when it came to NY, I remember the production much better - Marian Seldes and Brian Murray, and as the nude, the far less attractive David Burtka (now Mrs. Neil Patrick Harris).

by Anonymousreply 808/26/2012

Despite being terribly attractive he has not quite happened ... he must be annoyed that others like Tom Hardy get the plum parts.

He is currently in a new tv series here, about 2 couples spending a weekend together, which I couldnt be bothered watching - its just typical frau stuff. But thats about the level his career is at, at the moment. He does not mind stripping off though.

He positively smoulders through that most recent Persausion adaptation. He is a very nice posh boy.

by Anonymousreply 908/26/2012

PS. His mother Angela Thorne was wonderful in that 80s tv series with Penelope Keith - To the Manor Born, she was the best friend. She also played a good Mrs Thatcher in some tv drama.

by Anonymousreply 1008/26/2012

there's a scene in 39 steps (he's walking with the female lead) and he has a raging erection. i am totally serious. it's extremely noticeable.

by Anonymousreply 1108/26/2012

Did he quit Spooks or was he fired or merely written out a la Law and Order's revolving cast strategy?

Anyone?

by Anonymousreply 1210/09/2012

It was a dreadful version of The 39 Steps, with a completely fabricated story - none of the versions has done the actual story in the book, as presumably its not very cinematic so they have to invent all these chases and mystery submarines etc. The period detail was all wrong too: the house, the cars etc.

Back to Rupe, yes he is bitter about Tom Hardy and others making it big - in a recent interview in tv magazine "Radio Times" - he also didn't like having to kiss men when acting - what a wuss !

by Anonymousreply 1310/09/2012

He's always been bitter and jealous of more successful actors. I remember he did an interview with the Times right after David Tennant did his smash hit Hamlet and some other high profile Hamlet was about to happen, bitching about how he'd been in talks to do a production of Hamlet but it'd fallen through, but he was happy since he didn't really want to do Hamlet since every man and his dog played that role - implied it was a bit common or that actors who played that role were just bandwagon jumping.

The same interview he bitched mightily about David Tennant getting to play the fun, sexy role of Casanova, while he was stuck playing the uptight supporting character (they were in the miniseries together), and that was years afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 1410/09/2012

The more I learn about him, the less hot he has become.

I read some articles, what a douche.

by Anonymousreply 1510/09/2012

Hitchcock's version of the 39 Steps invented the whole chase thing and handcuffed the hero to the blonde - so the subsequent versions had to have more of the same or try to top it. Rupert's version turned the story on its head with its spunky sufragette who saves his life and turns out to be a spy or whatever, I just couldn't take it seriously. He is ok on tv but his cinema career has not taken off.

by Anonymousreply 1610/09/2012

He was in a mini-series called "Cambridge Spies" about the college years of Kim Philby, Guy Burgess, etc. along with Tom Hollander and Toby Stephens (Maggie Smith's son) - lots of nudity and gay sex in that one.

Toby then played a Bond villain, but seems to have fallen off the radar since. Anyone know why?

by Anonymousreply 1710/10/2012
Need more help? Click Here.