Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Nina Simone's Daughter Does NOT Want Zoe Saldana Playing Her Mother!

And guess who the unsympathetic director is? Cynthia Mort!

by Anonymousreply 7302/05/2013

Zoe Saldana has zero screen presence and she is supposed to play a musical legend. Oh, OK.

by Anonymousreply 108/23/2012

Nina deserves a nut as big as herself for this role.

by Anonymousreply 208/23/2012

Nina Simone had gravitas on stage. Zoe Saldana doesn't.

I am linking to Nina Simone's re-interpretation of the song "Feelings" and it is live. Zoe Saldana can't touch this type of lady in a film at all.

Think of Nina's overall story as well as how she looked and then think of Zoe Saldana playing her. It is a hard thing to do, really.

by Anonymousreply 308/23/2012

I thought Blige was to play her.

by Anonymousreply 408/23/2012

I don't want to hold Saldana's looks against her, but at this point they are all I know her for, and based on looks alone, she is far too attractive to play Simone. Saldana has the face and figure of a high fashion model, and part of SImone's allure was the complete unconventionality of her looks.

by Anonymousreply 508/23/2012

Inyanla Van Zant should play her.

I'm serious.

by Anonymousreply 608/23/2012

That video, R3, displays Nina at the height of her power. How she could turn a shitty pop tune into something deep and meaningful is an art that only few singers possess. (Aretha Franklin at her prime could do the same.)

Zoe Saldana looks nothing like Nina Simone! Granted, Angela Bassett didn't look like Tina Turner, but again, she's Angela Bassett, an actress with serious acting chops. Saldana, to date, hasn't proven to me that she's in that league.

The role really should have went to someone like Heather Headley.

by Anonymousreply 708/23/2012

I think Mo'Nique is the only one who could play a role of this magnitude.

by Anonymousreply 808/23/2012

I was going to say something similar, R7. She doesn't look like Simone but a good actress wouldn't need to. I'm not sure that Saldana is a good enough actress to pull it off. And neither is Blige. They should take the film seriously and get a talented actress to play Simone. Even if it has to be an unknown.

by Anonymousreply 908/23/2012

Oprah could do it, if she could drop 50 pounds.

by Anonymousreply 1008/23/2012

"She doesn't look like Simone but a good actress wouldn't need to."

If you put a conventionally pretty actress in this role, then you completely change the story and invalidate the struggle of an "ethnic" performer. It would be like casting Zac Efron in a Dustin Hoffman biopic and insisting, "But he's one-quarter Jewish!" The reason Hoffman was a trail-blazer was because he DIDN'T look like Zac Efron.

by Anonymousreply 1108/23/2012

Duh, that's a no, brainer - Viola Davis of course.

My grandmother grew up in small town of Tryon, NC. I used to go there every year growing up for family reunions. My grandmother and Nina Simone went to school together in the same one room school house that my great Uncle eventually bought and made his home. Nina's mom would often be at our family and school reunions. Nina, once she left, never looked back, and I think folks resented her for that.

by Anonymousreply 1208/23/2012

I think Saldana could field the career of a one hit wonder who slept her way through the political realm of the Carribean while evading taxes in the USA. I can't imagine interest in the material to span beyond an indie or made for HBO movie.

by Anonymousreply 1308/23/2012

I just hope the bitch eats a sandwich first. I can barely stand to look at her anorexic ass.

by Anonymousreply 1408/23/2012

This is a role India Arie was born to play.

by Anonymousreply 1508/23/2012

I like Zoe Saldana and wish her all the improbable kick-ass action movie leads she wants, but this is ridiculous casting. Like, up there with when Beyonce (who I also like) was slated to do an Angela Davis biopic.

by Anonymousreply 1608/23/2012

I understand, R11. Simone's looks were a major part of her story and her struggle. She wasn't what our society considered ( or considers) beautiful and she got a lot of flack because of it.I like to think that a good actor can become anyone. I don't think that Saldana is a good enough actress to pull it off and I also realize that Saldana is just "too pretty" for the role. Being pretty makes her less believable in the role, particularly if the film touches on the looks issue and how Simone was treated because of her looks. Saldana is the hot girlfriend. But it's already hers, no? If so, I hope she does the role justice.

by Anonymousreply 1708/23/2012

This is horrible casting.

by Anonymousreply 1808/23/2012

Only Sandra Bernhard can do justice to "Four Women."

by Anonymousreply 1908/24/2012

Esther Role would have been perfect.

by Anonymousreply 2008/24/2012

Viola Davis, as R12 points out, would be perfect. India Arie has the look and the singing chops, but she really doesn't act, does she, and if she does, I don't think she has the chops to pull this off.

by Anonymousreply 2108/24/2012

The article mentions Simone's daughter supports Kimberly Elise for the role, and that actually would be a great pick as well. She is pretty tiny, though.

by Anonymousreply 2208/24/2012

"Zoe Saldana looks nothing like Nina Simone! Granted, Angela Bassett didn't look like Tina Turner, but again, she's Angela Bassett, an actress with serious acting chops. Saldana, to date, hasn't proven to me that she's in that league."

Hindsight is 20/20. Exactly what had Bassett done to prove she had serious acting chops BEFORE What's Love Got to Do With It.

Look, I'm not wild about this casting either, for the reasons Simone (Jr.) has given, but that's no reason to dismiss Saldana as an actress.

by Anonymousreply 2308/24/2012

It's all about money, box office. Zoe Saldana has a recognizable face and name. She sells tickets. She wants to be considered a real actress and those behind the scenes want the best chance to make as much money as possible. Zoe is a bankable star.

This role will test her abilities for sure. And many will be curious to see if she can handle such a role. I get that it's odd to choose a pretty girl to play a woman who wasn't considered a pretty girl and caught hell for it. But again Zoe is bankable and making money is more important than perfect casting.

It's the same reason that Beyonce was up for the role as Angela Davis or JHud as Winnie Mandela as well as many other peculiar choices for roles. It's sad, it gives new talent very few opportunities, but that's Hollywood. Things have to change.

by Anonymousreply 2408/24/2012

Saldana may get her picture in the gossip blogs, but she's no more a box-office draw than Viola Davis. And she's much less of an actress.

by Anonymousreply 2508/24/2012

[quote] Hindsight is 20/20. Exactly what had Bassett done to prove she had serious acting chops BEFORE What's Love Got to Do With It.

You obviously didn't see her in Boyz N the Hood, Malcolm X and The Jacksons: An American Dream, where she dominated in all three.

Also, before breaking into movies and television, she done extensive theater work, notably in August Wilson's plays. So, no, there was already proof BEFORE What's Love Got To Do With It that Bassett had serious acting chops before she became a household name playing Tina Turner.

by Anonymousreply 2608/24/2012

Whoopi Goldberg (and CGI).

by Anonymousreply 2708/24/2012

The woman who plays Michonne on The Walking Dead would be great too. I hate the idea of Zoe Saldana in this; it reminds me of Angela Jolie casting herself as Mariane Pearl, a role that should have gone to a biracial actress.

BTW, this is going to be written and directed by Cynthia Mort, Jodie Foster's ex.

by Anonymousreply 2808/24/2012

Marianne Jean Baptiste!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 2908/24/2012

This is the worst idea since the rumored casting of Kristin Chenoweth as Dusty Springfield.

by Anonymousreply 3008/24/2012

Adam Sandler would be great as Nina!

by Anonymousreply 3108/24/2012

Goods choice, R29.

by Anonymousreply 3208/24/2012

I love me some Nina, but OMG, that face could stop Big Ben. Maybe Zoe isn't right for this role??

by Anonymousreply 3308/24/2012

Bird flying high, you know how I feel.

by Anonymousreply 3408/24/2012

Viola Davis would nail this.

by Anonymousreply 3508/24/2012

Does her daughter own the rights to her late mother's story? If she does, then the decent thing to do would be for someone to listen to her in terms of casting.

Zoe Saldana is still quite young. She will be alright and might be able to prove her true worth as an actress (artistically) in any other role beside this one.

Totally agree with R35 Totally. No brainer casting that would be.

by Anonymousreply 3608/24/2012

The thing is that this movie will be based on the memoirs of Nina's nurse which is supposedly a love story, but according to Nina's daughter, the nurse was a gay guy who just made things up in order to cash in...so this movie already has an unphill battle, but at least some of her songs will be in it, I hope.

by Anonymousreply 3708/24/2012

True. Too too skinny. In the 1st Pirates of the Caribbean she was shapely, beautiful. Now, I can't even look at her.

by Anonymousreply 3808/24/2012

r28 Angelina was the actress of choice by Pearl herself.

by Anonymousreply 3908/25/2012

Zoe Saldana is a horrible actress. Nina Simone's daughter is clearly not as crazy as her mom!

by Anonymousreply 4008/25/2012

I remember reading or hearing that Cynthia Mort's big desire is to be famous. I don't think having a push back from the black community was what she had in mind.

by Anonymousreply 4108/25/2012

Is that true r41? A few DLers used to post stuff about her in the Tell Me You Love Me/Ian Somerhalder threads. Iirc, they were furious that she got that show canceled because she was too pussy whipped to actually sit down and write ideas for the second season. So HBO got tired of waiting.

by Anonymousreply 4208/27/2012

My friend and I both saw Sparkle this weekend and both thought that Tika Sumpter could play a young Nina. The bob and the afro wigs really played up the resemblance.

by Anonymousreply 4308/27/2012

I wonder if Viola Davis was offered the role and turned it down.

by Anonymousreply 4408/27/2012

[quote] Zoe Saldana has a recognizable face and name. She sells tickets.

She does?

by Anonymousreply 4508/27/2012

But she's okay with Rachel Zoe playing her mother?

by Anonymousreply 4608/27/2012

R42, pussy whipped by who?

I always found it weird that her show was renewed then cancelled. Especially since i read an interview with her explaining that she had mapped out the seasons in advanced.

by Anonymousreply 4708/27/2012

My thoughts exactly, r45.

R47, see R28.

by Anonymousreply 4808/27/2012

Race was a big part of Nina Simone's life. As her daughter said she was rejected from a school because she was dark skinned and didn't fit the image they were looking for. Being a dark skinned black woman had a major impact and influence on Nina Simone's life so Zoe Saldana, the light skinned black Latina, is the wrong choice.

Saldana is a hypocrite! She is a black woman ONLY when it suits her! She She plays with race the same way Halle Berry does. Mixed race women like Halle Berry and Zoe Saldana have an advantage, they can take all the roles meant for black women because in Hollywood lighter skinned women are considered more palatable.

Saldana markets herself as a LATINA not as a BLACK ACTRESS! She knows if she called herself only a black actress it would limit the roles she gets in Hollywood. So, Saldana thinks she can swoop in and take a role meant for a dark skinned black woman.

by Anonymousreply 4908/27/2012

I don't see the problem. Just add a putty nose and dark makeup to Saldana. I think it's awesome that Saldana is a big enough fan of Simone to float the project. John Goodman used a prosthesis to portray Babe Ruth. Not to mention all the incarnations of Cyrano De Bergerac.

by Anonymousreply 5008/27/2012

[quote]Saldana markets herself as a LATINA not as a BLACK ACTRESS!

Because she is what for her being half Dominican and half Puerto Rican.

Hell. She played a Colombian in a film which was very intolerant minded toward Colombians.

She just does not seem to care or something.

She should not play Nina Simone at all. She just shouldn't. There is no reason why a talented actress (even an unknown) who at least has Nina Simone's basic look and coloring can't do the role. And, I state that because of Nina Simone's personal history with her looks and coloring, and I am not in any way trying to be intolerant minded at all.

Hell, if the actress who played "Precious" (her name eludes me) was a thinner lady, she could rock this role. But, Zoe Saldana? Hell no. She just can't do it because she does not look it nor can act it. Will she be CGI-ed or something? Maybe that is it.

by Anonymousreply 5108/27/2012

If Charleze Theron can portray 'Monster' then Zoe Saldana can portray Nina Simone. Zoe was no slouch in the acting department in 'Star Trek' and 'Avatar', both highly profitable projects.

by Anonymousreply 5208/27/2012

Oh please, she played supporting roles in "Trek" and "Avatar", and wasn't outstanding in either. And the fanboys who liked her in those films definitely won't be rushing out to see a Nina Simone biopic!

Unless she's funding the project with her "Avatar" money, there's absolutely no reason to use her isntead of someone who has the look and who has proven her skill.

by Anonymousreply 5308/27/2012

Viola Davis is too obvious. Plus she seems to have replaced Halle Berry as Hollywood's go to actress for black roles now. (There can never be more than one, apparently.) Let some other sisters shine for a change.

I think Mary would have done a good job. Acting wise, I don't know, but she certainly could identify with Simone's intensive anger and issues with depression.

Condola Rashad would be inspired casting. The girl can act.

Regina King would be great too.

by Anonymousreply 5408/27/2012

It's too bad Lela Rochon never made it big. She could act and she was gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 5508/27/2012

"If Charleze Theron can portray 'Monster' then Zoe Saldana can portray Nina Simone"

Wow,what poor analogy.Nina was not a serial killer ,but a beautiful,talented woman who didn't fit America's the narrow definition of 'beauty' and that rejection is paramount to Nina's story.If they're going to go all crazy with the casting,then,heck,Teresa Saldana should be considered,too!

by Anonymousreply 5608/27/2012

""If Charleze Theron can portray 'Monster' then Zoe Saldana can portray Nina Simone" "

That doesn't mean that any pretty actress with a middling can do the same, genius. They don't all have a brilliant talent that's waiting for the right role to come out, even if they all think they do.

by Anonymousreply 5708/27/2012

I meant to say "middling CAREER", goddamit.

by Anonymousreply 5808/27/2012

[quote]I meant to say "middling CAREER", goddamit.

But you didn't.

by Anonymousreply 5908/27/2012

by Anonymousreply 6008/29/2012

bUmp

by Anonymousreply 6109/14/2012

Did a quick search on twitter on Cynthia Mort and she certainly doesn't have any fans there. One woman wrote a blog post saying she needed to go "play in traffic". Another said, SHE was the problem, not Zoe.

I don't see why these people just wont give Zoe and Cynthia the benefit of the doubt.

by Anonymousreply 6209/14/2012

So they're straight-washing the gay guy.

by Anonymousreply 6309/14/2012

Christina Aguilera has been been pushing for the role, she has the soul and chops, but I do think the role should be played by a black actress.

by Anonymousreply 6409/14/2012

yes, pussy whipped by who?

by Anonymousreply 6509/14/2012

R30 If you think that's bad, then Nicole Kidman (again) was also attached to that role for years. Awful. At least Chenoweth can sing.

by Anonymousreply 6609/14/2012

New Photos Of Zoe Saldana In Full Nina Simone Regalia Surface; Convinced?

by Anonymousreply 6710/29/2012

They should have cast Fantasia now that poor Fanny's not doing the Aretha biopic.

by Anonymousreply 6810/29/2012

Zoe looks like she's doing a blackface routine. Who the fuck thought she'd make a good Nina Simone?

by Anonymousreply 6910/29/2012

Gurl, you know the critics' claws will be out for this one when it's released!!! The director should be ashamed of herself.

by Anonymousreply 7010/29/2012

I agree with r6.

by Anonymousreply 7110/29/2012

I agree with r15 too.

by Anonymousreply 7210/29/2012

"It would be like casting Zac Efron in a Dustin Hoffman biopic and insisting, "But he's one-quarter Jewish!" The reason Hoffman was a trail-blazer was because he DIDN'T look like Zac Efron"

The Jewish thing has nothing to do with Efron and Hoffman.

Zac can easily star in the Tony Curtis biopic, and Curtis was fully Jewish. On the other hand, would being fully Jewish qualify someone to play Hoffman? No. Jonah Hill and Anton Yelchin and Logan Lerman are fully Jewish, but they probably shouldn't play Hoffman. Frankly the actor who could best play him is (non-Jewish) Josh Hutcherson, who is also short and dark, and wouldn't need that much makeup (although he sounds very different). But probably the actor who looks most like Hoffman is Alan Cumming (also not Jewish).

Hoffman was a trailblazer? Maybe for short ugly people, but not for Jews. There were dozens of male Jewish movie stars, Cornel Wilde, Curtis, Kirk Douglas, John Garfield, the brilliant Edward G. Robinson (also short and dark, btw), Paul Muni, Jean-Pierre Aumont, etc. The first movie star, ever, Broncho Billy Anderson, was... Jewish. So he was also the first Jewish movie star. Not Dustin Hoffman.

It's like saying William H. Macy was the first WASP movie star.

by Anonymousreply 7302/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.