Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Linda Eder

Will someone please tell me what happened to her career. Such promise...and then...nothing.

by Anonymousreply 3306/06/2014

She was the Barbra Streisand of the late 80s. For people who saw that "Jekyll & Hyde" musical ad liked it, that is.

by Anonymousreply 108/23/2012

So, about the same interest in this thread as the general public has for Linda Eder. Makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 208/23/2012

She was married to Frank Wildhorn for years and was so closely tied to his projects and music she couldn't make an impression on anyone who didn't know his work. They worked for years on "Jekyll & Hyde," finally getting it to Broadway where it floundered. She refused to do the national tour for the show to be home with her son and ultimately she and Wildhorn divorced. She's not interested in maintaining a career on Broadway and just enjoys her simple life recording and doing small concerts and raising her son.

I personally love her voice and find her work with Wildhorn her strongest. He wrote beautiful music for her and really knew how to showcase her voice. But I get that a lot of people don't like Wildhorn's work and if you don't like his music you won't be sold on Eder. Her non-Wildhorn produced albums aren't as compelling and he hasn't found another muse who can sell his songs so beautifully.

by Anonymousreply 308/24/2012

Check out Facebook and her website. She's been very successful touring, but not in the traditional way. Lindaeder.com lists her tour schedule.

by Anonymousreply 408/25/2012

Uh could it be that she is boring and brings nothing new to the songs she sings?

by Anonymousreply 508/25/2012

Hugely talented, no drama and an all around good person. Boring isn't bad, it's called stable by most people.

by Anonymousreply 608/25/2012

Her performance of "Man of La Mancha" on the Broadway Divas special is one of my favorite things ever. I had never heard of her before and was amazed.

by Anonymousreply 708/26/2012

I've seen her many, many times. Never boring. Even the same basic concert, she adds new elements. Always fun and entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 808/26/2012

Always enjoyed this-

by Anonymousreply 908/26/2012

She lost her pianist, Jeremy, in the divorce from Frank Wildhorn. He really helped her shine.

by Anonymousreply 1008/26/2012

Pipes. No personality or interpretative powers.

by Anonymousreply 1108/26/2012

Hausfrau looks. No fashion sense.

by Anonymousreply 1208/26/2012

Wildhorn got the pianist in the divorce? I hope she at least got the books and the antique clock.

by Anonymousreply 1308/26/2012

Darling, you keep the drugs, angel, you keep the books

Honey I'll take the grand, sugar you keep the spinet....

by Anonymousreply 1408/26/2012

There are no big outlets for a woman of her talents anymore.

Rosie used to champion her like crazy on her talk show. Bravo let her do a couple of specials when it was a network dedicated to showing the best in the arts. Back in the day, a woman like her would have gotten much exposure with late night variety shows, but those are all gone.

Chenowith gets work because of her blonde bimbo esque looks. Eder mops the floor with her.

by Anonymousreply 1508/26/2012

saw her in concert a few years ago and she was terrific. her voice is just slightly less than Celine's or La Streisand's but she has NO stage presence and NO style. The voice and talent are definitely there but she needs help!

by Anonymousreply 1608/26/2012

Both she and Frank Wildhorn are gay.

by Anonymousreply 1708/26/2012

No, they're not R17. Linda cheated on Frank with actor Michael Nouri. And Frank ends up putting his girlfriends into his productions. Both have lots of gay friends, however.

by Anonymousreply 1808/26/2012

...btw, R9, my bf appears at the end of that clip. I never realized it, until he pointed it out to me. He's a big fan.

by Anonymousreply 1908/27/2012

I've seen her in concert twice. Once in a Symphony Hall and once two weeks ago in a small venue in PTown.

She has a powerful voice, but both times what I heard was a decent voice overpowered by screeching. And every song ends on an extended high note that approaches a scream.

I know she's very popular. I'm not sure that she is any better than ten other singers that we've never heard of that haven't been lucky enough to be plucked from obscurity to sing on Broadway.

The last time i saw her almost every song sounded the same - high pitched - and I was ready to walk out.

I don't get it.

by Anonymousreply 2008/27/2012

by Anonymousreply 2108/27/2012

She doesn't sound like Streisand at all. She sounds like Betty Buckley. Her voice has an unpleasant metallic sound to it.

by Anonymousreply 2208/27/2012

Jonathan Schwartz mocks her and puts her down. I don't listen to her myself, but I wouldn't be on my high horse and all ofended like Schwartz. Michael Feinstein works with her a lot because she is professional, easy to work with and has a solid fan base

by Anonymousreply 2308/27/2012

"She was the Barbra Streisand of the late 80s"

No, she was the Barbra Streisand imitator of the late 80s

by Anonymousreply 2408/27/2012

I'm sure many of the aging homosexuals who frequent this board will be interested to know that Miss Eder will be releasing a new Christmas album in October -- with some of her own compositions(!). Available exclusively at finer Sears & Roebuck stores in LP, 8-track and reel-to-reel formats, this collection of holiday songs is sure to be a hit with your nursing home-d mothers, lifelong single uncles or with friends who miss the days of an Ed McMahon-hosted Star Search.

Discuss.

by Anonymousreply 2509/26/2013

Any singer whose handlers try to brand as the "second coming of Streisand" is doomed to fail.

And then of course there's this:

"Fans will come up to me and say, 'Oh, you're better than Barbra Streisand,' " Eder says. "Polite Linda will look at them and say, 'Oh, thank you very much.' But inside, I'm thinking, 'You're an idiot. You don't know what you're talking about. She's the best there is at what she does.' "

From the passive aggressive Streisand insults, to the overblown assessment of the magnitude of her career,celebrity and "in demand" status, to the cunty characterization of her fans as "idiots"... this article is dripping with jealousy,bratty self-rationalizations and bitter resentments.

by Anonymousreply 2709/27/2013

R20 nailed it. Nasal, slightly flat screeching. She only got cast because some people equate loudness with talent.

by Anonymousreply 2809/27/2013

R26, you forgot to include "pompous ass" among your descriptors

by Anonymousreply 2909/27/2013

Are you calling me a pompous ass r29?

Sometimes people on DL resent those who have more than opinion to offer.

by Anonymousreply 3009/27/2013

The closest sounding voice to Streisand was always Jane Olivors'.

Jane sounded like a cello with a cold.

Arguably Jane had a more beautiful voice than Barbra, though not as dynamic. Leonard Cohen asked "What beauty can be discovered after Bardot?" The same cannot be asked of Streisand.

There are many great singers who never become stars. Linda Eder occupies the place she deserves. Loyal fans all over. Pretty voice.

by Anonymousreply 3109/27/2013

She divorced the guy responsible for her career.

by Anonymousreply 3209/27/2013

Let's talk about Linda again.

by Anonymousreply 3306/06/2014
Need more help? Click Here.