Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

WEHT Eileen Brennan ?

Loved her in "Murder By Death" and "Private Benjamin" , among others. Know she was hit by a car, but did she just retire after that ?

by Anonymousreply 5007/31/2013

is she still alive?

by Anonymousreply 108/21/2012

She was Zondra on Will and Grace. That was less than ten years ago.

by Anonymousreply 208/21/2012

That car accident was terrible timing. She was doing Private Benjamin the tv series at the time, and I think it was a hit. Brennan is damn funny, the show was a hit because of her. Then the accident meant she had to be replaced. Whoever took her place wasn't nearly as good and it was soon cancelled.

by Anonymousreply 308/21/2012

The car accident happened during the run of the "Benjamin" TV series. She's popped up here and there since but I haven't seen her in years. She was on two episodes of "Newhart" which were both several years after the accident.

by Anonymousreply 408/21/2012

She's also in "Jeepers Creepers" but that was about ten years ago. She's 80 now, probably long retired.

by Anonymousreply 508/21/2012

She played Jack's drama teacher on Will & Grace and was pretty funny.

by Anonymousreply 608/21/2012

The tv show of Private Benjamin was on its last legs at the time of Brennan's accident. Polly Holiday came in (as a new character in hastily re-written scripts) to film the last three episodes scheduled before the Christmas hiatus.

The final episode of those three actually switched format from film to videotape, testing out a potentially cost-saving measure should the back nine episodes of the season be ordered by the network.

The show was cancelled at the beginning of January, before those three episodes even aired. In fact, one of the three was never aired until the show went into syndication.

After (well, during) a long recovery from her accident, Eileen developed an addiction to prescription pain killers, and went to Betty Ford. She did an interview in People magazine at the time, talking about it.

Today, she is in not great shape, mentally. A neighbor of hers apparently decided to start filming her for a possible documentary, but he was roundly criticized because in the footage released, it was clear that Brennan's memory and mental faculties were fading quickly. The footage is on YouTube.

by Anonymousreply 708/21/2012

She was cast as Miss Hannigan in a summer stock production of ANNIE in Kansas City. She fell in the orchestra pit (drunk??) during rehearsals and broke her leg, or her collarbone or something.. This was around 1989.

by Anonymousreply 808/21/2012

That video is so sad. She clearly has dementia or Alzheimer's and is in no shape to be interviewed. It does seem exploitative.

by Anonymousreply 908/21/2012

The original Irene Molloy in Hello, Dolly! on Broadway. A lovely version of "Ribbons Down My Back." Too bad she didn't get to do the movie.

by Anonymousreply 1008/21/2012

I'm sorry, but she really doesn't seem that fucked up. Maybe a little loopy, but she always was a bit off. Wasn't that part of her schtick?

The saddest part of it all is that she seems destitute. Why is she buying takeout coffee anyway? It is much cheaper to make it at home.

The most bizarre part is the T shirt.

by Anonymousreply 1108/21/2012

Saw her as Little Mary in "Little Mary Sunshine" in 1962 at the Mineola Playhouse on Long Island.

And she was in the original "Hello Dolly" in 1964. Played the role of Irene "Ribbons Down My Back" Malloy.

by Anonymousreply 1208/21/2012

Yeah she didn't seem that bad for her age. It's definitely not Alzheimer's which would be far worse. It would've been interesting to hear why she hated Private Benjamin so much, and she also seemed willing to dish about Goldie too. And take it from the woman herself, the accident ruined her life. I hope she has someone looking out for her, she should have some showbiz friends coming to visit and reminisce.

by Anonymousreply 1308/21/2012

It was a shame she didn't win the Oscar for "Private Benjamin," though I also love Mary Steenburgen. And I was also a little surprised that the Academy didn't give it to Eva LeGallienne--they were usually suckers for grand dames making an appearance--and LeGallienne was a presence to be reckoned with. Of course, she was not "lovable" or "kooky" like Miss Hayes or Miss Gordon and it may be that, by then, the Academy was no longer as sentimental about such things.

by Anonymousreply 1408/21/2012

[quote]The most bizarre part is the T shirt.

Theatre t shirt from the Public Theatre production of Bring In the Noise, Bring in the Funk that starred Savion Glover.

by Anonymousreply 1508/21/2012

R13, what did she say about Goldie?

by Anonymousreply 1608/21/2012

Saw her in Mary Sunshine, too, at Chicago's Ivanhoe Theater. Brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 1708/21/2012

Exactly my point, R15. Of all the shirts, one featuring the logo from an obscure mid-90s rap/hip hop tap-themed revue is what she is wearing?

by Anonymousreply 1808/21/2012

[quote]She was cast as Miss Hannigan in a summer stock production of ANNIE in Kansas City. She fell in the orchestra pit (drunk??) during rehearsals and broke her leg, or her collarbone or something.. This was around 1989.

Drunk? That's your first thought? In 1982 she hit by a car and almost died. By 1989 her legs still weren't that strong. As for saying ask Goldie, she was referring to the details of the car accident who was there at the time.

by Anonymousreply 1908/21/2012

She seemed to have hated working with her r16, but didn't go into any detail. They were going to going to go inside and have coffee before continuing.

by Anonymousreply 2008/21/2012

She's about 80 now.

by Anonymousreply 2108/21/2012

The most bizarre thing was that in 1987, just five years after the accident, she played a supporting role in a Melissa Gilbert film, "Blood Vows,The Story of a Mafia Wife." In the movie, her character is murdered - by a deliberate hit-and-run driver. The sequence is so graphic - showing her being hit, going up in the air, falling on the car again, falling to the ground - it's almost like she's recreating her own accident.

I always wondered how she felt about shooting that - if it was a catharsis, if it was written that way originally, if they changed it to that because of her own history?

by Anonymousreply 2208/21/2012

Eva LeGalienne was also never in movies so the Academy owed her nada.

by Anonymousreply 2308/21/2012

I'd love to know what she has to say about Goldie.

by Anonymousreply 2408/21/2012

[quote]She seemed to have hated working with her

She didn't hate her, they were good friends. They were together at the restaurant the night the accident happened and that was years after "Private Benjamin".

She didn't remember the scene the guy was talking about simply because she probably has never seen the movie. She said she can't watch it. I've said this before here and people just don't get it because if they have movies or specific scenes memorized they expect the actor too also. Lots actors never see the finished product. I had a conversation with Whoopi Goldberg once who told me she's never seen "The Color Purple" or "Ghost" and she won the Oscar for it. Others have said the same to me. So if Eileen shot a scene where she made a face and it was 40 years ago and she hasn't thought of it since, why would she remember it?

by Anonymousreply 2508/21/2012

Whoopi didn't attend a NY or LA premiere for either of those movies?

by Anonymousreply 2608/21/2012

She hates the movie and hated working on the movie, that is clear to anyone who watches the clip. It's only 5 minutes long, anyone who is curious about it, watch the dang thing.

by Anonymousreply 2708/21/2012

r26 do you really think actors stay at the movie premiere after they've done the red carpet?

by Anonymousreply 2808/21/2012

She acts and sounds a little off in those clips.

Did you look at the other clips? Apparently, she sold her Emmy to someone who kept coming to her door every day (?!)

by Anonymousreply 2908/21/2012

I think she's feisty and fun and honest in the clip. A little addled but that's what many 80 year olds are like, especially if they live alone and aren't used to making conversation all the time.

I imagine when she shot Private Benjamin she just thought she was playing a good supporting role in a run-of-the-mill Goldie Hawn romcom, nothing more, nothing less. So she can't fathom why the silly interviewer is giving it the importance of some iconic everlasting performance.

With the care of great hair and makeup and a flattering dress, she'd look beautiful because you can see she's still got her amazing cheekbones, clear skin and hasn't had a lot of awful plastic surgery. She'd look as good as, if not better than, Maggie Smith or Judi Dench.

What a shame Americans don't treat their older actresses better.

by Anonymousreply 3008/21/2012

Eva Le Gallienne was nominated for a supporting Oscar for "Resurrection" starring Ellen Burstyn.

by Anonymousreply 3108/21/2012

I saw Eva Le Gallienne on Broadway in 1981 in [italics]To Grandmother's House We Go[/italics], with Kim Hunter, Ruth Nelson, and and Shepperd Strudwick.

It was exciting to see LeG and Kin Hunter on stage, but the play only lasted around 60 performances. Still have the Playbill with Kim Hunter's autograph.

by Anonymousreply 3208/21/2012

Yeeks, formatting! What did I do wrong with the italics?

by Anonymousreply 3308/21/2012

"Clue"

by Anonymousreply 3408/21/2012

I understand that she's in talks to reprise her role in "The Real McCoys."

by Anonymousreply 3508/21/2012

Not all of "At Long Last Love" was bad.... I dare you not to smile.

by Anonymousreply 3608/22/2012

Is this all we can really muster on this brilliant character actress and fine old broad?

Madeline Kahn threads go on for days and pages.

by Anonymousreply 3708/22/2012

If I remember correctly when Eileen had that car accident Patty Duke took care of her.

by Anonymousreply 3808/22/2012

All you smokers should look at what tobacco does to the skin.

Billie Burke, who never went in the sun, or smoked, was 54 When she played Glinda in The Wizard of Oz.

by Anonymousreply 3908/22/2012

I had heard she was heavily hooked on narcotics since the car accident and then I saw her on some interview show several years ago and she was so out of it she didn't even know her own name. It was pathetic and I couldn't believe they let her get in front of a camera in that condition.

by Anonymousreply 4008/22/2012

Terrific in "The Last Picture Show." Should of been nominated for that.

by Anonymousreply 4108/22/2012

She must have slid downhill fast in the past few years because she was really funny on Will and Grace. Of course, that was around 2002 or 2003, I am guessing. Maybe a bit later. An awful lot can happen to a person's health in a very short time. I wonder how she was on the set during the filming of Will and Grace. Did she learn her lines okay? I have never heard any of the cast say anything good OR bad about her. They had a bazillion guest stars over the years, though.

by Anonymousreply 4208/22/2012

Most people age drastically between the ages of 70 and 80.

by Anonymousreply 4308/22/2012

[quote]Should of been nominated for that.

That's right R41. She should of. I thought that alot.

by Anonymousreply 4408/22/2012

Prime Eileen

by Anonymousreply 4508/23/2012

She died

by Anonymousreply 4607/30/2013

Aww. She lived a good long life and had a great career but it still makes me sad. Rest in peace.

by Anonymousreply 4707/31/2013

She's fine! She sends her love!

by Anonymousreply 4807/31/2013

Before her car accident, she was moving up in her career. She never was the same after that car accident. Her career and her life as a whole went on a tail spin. I liked her a lot! She'll be greatly missed.

by Anonymousreply 4907/31/2013

That youtube stuff is unkind exploitation. The guy has a very condescending style. Not good.

by Anonymousreply 5007/31/2013
Need more help? Click Here.