Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Al Roker

What is his story? He does not seem particularly skilled at anything.

by Ann Curryreply 2211/23/2012

I remember when he was the second tier weatherman on WNBC in New York. He was promoted when the station finally threw in the towel as to the No. 1 guy, Frank Field--they had issues going way back, including corporate's banning on-air appearances of Frank's bulldog puppy, Winston.

So here came (then) roly-poly Al, on at 6 and 11, doing the weather. Then he graduated to weekend Today, which then rotated local weathermen in talent try-outs for bigger things. Al apparently filled the bill (in more ways than one), graduating to weekday Today and pushing out Willard Scott, who was long past his expiration date.

Al has assets--great for diversity, but he talks white; is pleasant but not boring, since every so often he gives great snark like his recent "thrown under the bus" remark; and best of all for the corporate suits, he's not offensive. Even though he's now thin, viewers can sense the jolly fat man that's still a part of his on-air persona.

by Ann Curryreply 108/21/2012

He's no longer a fat tub of lard but he's hardly thin.

by Ann Curryreply 208/24/2012

He has a weekend home in my town here in Columbia County- 2 hours north of the city. He and his family are in town ALOT- but he sends the wife into stores while he sits in the big black SUV- a bit shy and more than a bit cranky- he does book signings at the local, mom and pop bookstore every time he has a book come out and puts on the charm then, but catch him off guard and he comes off a bit mean and irritated...

by Ann Curryreply 308/24/2012

It's too bad on a lot of fronts.

Frank was very old style NBC & my guess was that Al was being 'used' for the 'Buppies'.

None of this really matters, does it? NBC is NOTHING like it used to be, which is a shame. Al will be replaced by someone who'll gossip about him & so it goes as Ellerbee would say.

BTW, I loved Winston & was upset that when he was offered to me by Frank's family, 1 of my parents would not allow me to have him.

by Ann Curryreply 411/23/2012

I remember Al Roker when he used to do the weather on some Cleveland station back in the 80s. He was perfectly pleasant but I would never have guessed he would end up on the Today show.

by Ann Curryreply 511/23/2012

He can burp the alphabet.

by Ann Curryreply 611/23/2012

He lost 80 pounds.

by Ann Curryreply 711/23/2012

R5, gotta post a 'me too'. He was an okay weatherguy, but if you'd told me he'd be on the Today show in just a few years I'd have thought you were nuts.

by Ann Curryreply 811/23/2012

Neither do any of the "fuckable" newsreaders, weatherfags and "reporters" yet I don't see you bitching about them.

by Ann Curryreply 911/23/2012

There are a lot of talented anchors, journalists and weathermen who never make it to the national stage. It is largely because they are not as attractive.

by Ann Curryreply 1011/23/2012

Isn't he married to some soap actress? Or an ABC reporter?

by Ann Curryreply 1111/23/2012

He's married to ABC 20/20 correspondent Deborah Roberts, who is apparently quite nice.

Have a friend who had dinner at their place in Columbia County and Al was in a foul mood and was screaming at his kid throughout dinner. It was pretty uncomfortable for their guests.

by Ann Curryreply 1211/23/2012

He was a likeable foil for Sue Simmons. Sorry to hear about his crankiness. He talks "white"? Name a national anchor who speaks with an accent or regionalisms? It's not whiteness, it's proper E nglish and professionalism.

by Ann Curryreply 1311/23/2012

He's cute!

by Ann Curryreply 1411/23/2012

[quote]What is his story? He does not seem particularly skilled at anything.

Fuck off and die, you racist queen. Of course no Black people seem skilled to the likes of you, you inbred piece of shit.

by Ann Curryreply 1511/23/2012

It's that the viewers like him and want to see him. Nothing more really. How else can you explain the success of people like Willard Scott?

by Ann Curryreply 1611/23/2012

Al is the kind of on air personality we can all relate to and he can get away with things many others are unable to. Thinking about his shameless hustle of Barbara Bush during some parade she and George Walker were riding in. I don't recall the details but Al asked and got an answer where no other journalist could. All courts need their jesters and Al is willing to do anything, go anywhere, sell anything

by Ann Curryreply 1711/23/2012

Jeez, R15. Put down the pipe! Don't see any reference to his race in OP's post. S/he's actually correct.

by Ann Curryreply 1811/23/2012

Fuck you R18, OP didn't need to call Al the N-word or refer to his race. The bigotry was implied and you know it as well as me.

by Ann Curryreply 1911/23/2012

Roxie Romer's (Jefferson's Helen Willis and Lenny Kravitz's mother) cousin.

by Ann Curryreply 2011/23/2012

He is one of those "safe" negroes that is nice, well spoken and wont upset the white people that watch. When he starts getting out of place, he will be gone.

by Ann Curryreply 2111/23/2012

What r1 said

by Ann Curryreply 2211/23/2012
Need more help? Click Here.