Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Do you use the high end salon shampoos or do you buy retail like Suave or Prell or Pert Plus?

No judgments, just curious.

by Anonymousreply 9902/09/2013

Nah i dont use any of that there fancy stuff. I wash my hair in the kichen sink with the dihs sope and it looks beautimous.

by Anonymousreply 108/17/2012

They all have the same ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 208/17/2012

I pick up a generic Paul Mitchell shampoo at Sally's Beauty Supply but they are all the same.

by Anonymousreply 308/17/2012

My dermatologist told me long ago that spending money on these high priced concoctions for the skin or the hair is throwing money into the wind. He said the most of the generic brands are made by the same manufacturers as the name brands. They just stick name brand labels on some bottles and generic lables on others and you pay a minimum of 1/3 less for the generic.

by Anonymousreply 408/17/2012

Alterna Ten shampoo with Arabian Frankincense, champagne grape seed oil and truffle oil,

Not to expensive either at 60 dollars for 8oz.

by Anonymousreply 508/17/2012

Whatever is on sale for $1.00

by Anonymousreply 708/17/2012

nothing over $10

by Anonymousreply 808/17/2012

Shampoo bottles ruin the look of my shower stall so I use one simple shower gel for hair and body.

Diet determines the beauteousity of my head hairs.

by Anonymousreply 908/17/2012

I like Nioxin for the tingly feeling it leaves on my scalp. $20 per liter or 33.8oz.

Kirkland brand shampoo and conditioner make my hair look the nicest - more good hair days.

Best conditioner is Aussie 3 Minute Miracle.

I know reports say all shampoo and conditioner is the same, but I have to disagree. There are formulas made for curly hair that leave my hair more manageable. Also formulas for color treated hair extend the life of the color. Baby shampoo won't hurt your eyes. Head and Shoulders works for dandruff and exema. So they really are different ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 1008/17/2012

Alberto VO5 shampoo, which I get at the drugstore for $1 a bottle. I've been using it for years and my hair looks and feels great. It works exactly the same on my hair as the expensive salon stuff I used to use.

by Anonymousreply 1108/17/2012

Pantene, priced right and has been my standby for 15 years.

by Anonymousreply 1208/17/2012

I don't have enough hair anymore to bother with fancy crap anyway. I buy whatever is on sale or cheapest, usually VO-5.

by Anonymousreply 1308/17/2012

I stock up on VO5 when it is onsale for .89 cents at CVS.

by Anonymousreply 1408/17/2012

You should NEVER use the same conditioner for more than 2 weeks. Any hair stylist will tell you that your hair becomes immune to the chemicals in hair conditioner and after about 2 weeks normally you need to switch to another brand that uses another formula. Later on you can switch back to the original brand.

by Anonymousreply 1508/17/2012

[quote]Shampoo bottles ruin the look of my shower stall so I use one simple shower gel for hair and body.

Bergdorf's sells the most cunning little crystal dispensers. You'll adore them.

by Anonymousreply 1608/17/2012

As if they aren't all the same, R15? At least the same active ingredients.

by Anonymousreply 1708/17/2012

Trader Joe's citrus scented shampoo, about $2.

by Anonymousreply 1808/17/2012

Make sure you lather, rinse, repeat.

by Anonymousreply 1908/17/2012

[quote]My dermatologist told me long ago that spending money on these high priced concoctions for the skin or the hair is throwing money into the wind. He said the most of the generic brands are made by the same manufacturers as the name brands. They just stick name brand labels on some bottles and generic lables on others and you pay a minimum of 1/3 less for the generic.

Same goes for other products, like for example dairy products.

by Anonymousreply 2008/17/2012

[quote]Same goes for other products, like for example dairy products.

Yes. Cheese is cheese. Why bother spending money on the fancy French stuff?

by Anonymousreply 2108/17/2012

Burt's Bees. It's the cheapest sulfate-free product out there that seems to do a decent job and smell decent. Sometimes at the salon I splurge on the pricy stuff tho.

by Anonymousreply 2208/17/2012

I don't use a separate shampoo. I use whatever body wash I'm using, usually the 365 unscented shower gel from Whole Foods or Sebamed.

by Anonymousreply 2308/17/2012

[quote]Make sure you lather, rinse, repeat.

It's an infinite loop. You'll never leave the shower.

by Anonymousreply 2408/17/2012

Only white people repeat!

by Anonymousreply 2508/17/2012

My mother's of french extraction so she only uses water.

by Anonymousreply 2608/17/2012

I wear my hair super short, buzz cut with #2 clipper guard. The Old Spice body wash is good enough.

by Anonymousreply 2708/17/2012

Anyone tried this piss-elegant stuff?

by Anonymousreply 2808/17/2012

I like 2-in-1 Pert type shampoos because of the convenience, but I got sick of Pert's smell and had to switch to Fructis 2-in-1. Your hair does look a little better if you take the time to use separate conditioner, but most days I don't care.

by Anonymousreply 2908/17/2012

I like the Vidal Sassoon line. It has separate conditioner and finishing rinse, to seal and protect!

by Anonymousreply 3008/17/2012

Garnier Fructis or Herbal Essences - I tried Suave shampoos, but they were too harsh.

by Anonymousreply 3108/17/2012

Sally's beauty supply, I can get the generic Paul Mitchell for $5.

by Anonymousreply 3208/17/2012

Another buzzcut here, so it's CVS body wash all over.

by Anonymousreply 3308/17/2012

Use dollar store shampoo. It is all the same crap anyways. You are paying for packaging and fragrance.

by Anonymousreply 3408/17/2012

Yes. Nioxin.

by Anonymousreply 3508/17/2012

why do obese people have such great hair?

by Anonymousreply 3608/17/2012

It goes with the wonderful personality, R36.

by Anonymousreply 3708/17/2012

I tried Pert Plus years ago and it made my hair feel like I'd washed it in cooking oil, it was such a greasepit when I was done. And it smelled like pure chemicals - rancid stuff.

by Anonymousreply 3808/17/2012

Pantene products work fine for me.

by Anonymousreply 3908/17/2012

I bought some Kiehl's just to see. Total waste. My standby is still Joico Moisture Recovery. Not too expensive, and I like how it makes my hair look and feel.

by Anonymousreply 4008/17/2012

I use Yes to Carrots. For the sole reason I like the idea of my hair smelling like carrots.

by Anonymousreply 4108/17/2012

[quote]I tried Pert Plus years ago and it made my hair feel like I'd washed it in cooking oil, it was such a greasepit when I was done. And it smelled like pure chemicals - rancid stuff.

Mary!

You are [italic]such[/italic] a delicate and sensitive flower!

by Anonymousreply 4208/17/2012

I started using Pravana sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner after I had a keratin treatment done. It's $40 for 33.7 oz and I have to say, I've noticed much less hair loss ever since I've had the treatment and began using those products.

by Anonymousreply 4308/17/2012

Anybody use Wen?

by Anonymousreply 4408/17/2012

Pert Plus are you kidding? That's like ajax for your hair. So it Prell. I didn't even know they still made it?

I use Nexus. Honestly for the money there is nothing better. Trust.

by Anonymousreply 4508/17/2012

Prell?

Do they still sell that shit?

by Anonymousreply 4608/17/2012

Yep, they still make Prell, but it hasn't been the same since the stopped putting it in the glass bottle. It started going down hill when they removed the pearl.

by Anonymousreply 4708/17/2012

R18 I use Trader Joe's Citrus too. Great shampoo, nice aroma.

by Anonymousreply 4808/17/2012

Was it Prell shampoo that had the old commercials that showed how it could take the grease off of a frying pan? It's still sold in stores but I've never used it.

by Anonymousreply 4908/17/2012

Read Paula Begoun's books and you'll learn that all high-priced cosmetics are EXACTLY the same as the cheap stuff sold in drug stores. This goes for everything from shampoos and conditioners to moisturizers to speciality treatment creams to make-up.

by Anonymousreply 5008/17/2012

[quote]Read Paula Begoun's books and you'll learn that all high-priced cosmetics are EXACTLY the same as the cheap stuff sold in drug stores. This goes for everything from shampoos and conditioners to moisturizers to speciality treatment creams to make-up.

Example: Except for the seaweed extract, Crème de la Mer is basically the same as Nivea Creme.

by Anonymousreply 5108/17/2012

Suave Shower Gel for Men is great - lathers really well, smells good, and is super cheap. Keeps my skin fairly well hydrated (I know I know...soap doesn't do that...but my skin isn't as dry once I started using this gel)

by Anonymousreply 5208/17/2012

Insecure sheeple will buy anything we tell them to.

by Anonymousreply 5308/17/2012

Have very short hair and often use my bar of Dove on the head.

by Anonymousreply 5408/17/2012

The best "eye cream" I've ever used was straight up Vaseline.

I'm a 40-year-old blond hair, blue-eyed sun worshipper, and I don't have the first wrinkle around my eyes. So the Vaseline must do something.

As for shampoo, I like Garnier Fructis. I also like citrus scents, so maybe I will try the Trader Joe's suggestion.

by Anonymousreply 5508/17/2012

Top Paw™ Oatmeal Baking Soda Shampoo. It leaves my coat all smooth and shiny.

by Anonymousreply 5608/17/2012

I use Aussie. They sell a big bottle that lasts me about a year. I think I got it on sale for 5 bucks and some change. I use their hairspray too, and people often tell me how good my hair smells. I especially like it because they don't test on animals.

I'll use Herbal Essence too, if it's got a good sale.

by Anonymousreply 5708/17/2012

R50, Paula Begoun used to have street cred, but her own line of skincare is overpriced. She's become just as greedy as the department store brands. I've tried several of Paula's products and have been very underwhelmed. The inexpensive drugstore products she recommends are much better than her own line.

by Anonymousreply 5808/17/2012

R54 you use BAR soap?!?!

by Anonymousreply 5908/17/2012

Fortunately, I get placenta straight from the hospital maternity ward.

by Anonymousreply 6008/17/2012

R44 I do. I have wavy hair so I like that it takes care of the greasiness near roots without drying out the rest of my hair. I get it from QVC so I don't have to deal with the infomercial crap.

by Anonymousreply 6108/17/2012

I use drug store shampoo-and-conditioner-in-one and hair serum, and I'm 50+ years old.

My low-maintenance hair is long, thick, shiny, and fabulous.

by Anonymousreply 6208/17/2012

R50, what hair serum do you use?

by Anonymousreply 6308/17/2012

the Trader Joe's citrus-scented shampoo is called Refresh.

Be forewarned: the Refresh Shampoo bottle is nearly identical to the Refresh Conditioner.

by Anonymousreply 6408/17/2012

I let my cat suck and lick my hair. She likes to groom her daddy.

Of course, I have catlicks instead of cowlicks.

by Anonymousreply 6508/17/2012

Just because two products have the same ingredients doesn't mean they're put together the same way. I know for a fact that many generics don't work as well for me as the originals. This goes for toiletry items as well as prescriptions/OTC drugs.

Using the same ingredients to make chocolate chip cookies doesn't mean they'll come out tasting the same.

As for the subject of this thread I use Shea Moisture brand.

by Anonymousreply 6608/17/2012

Well, Tessa my PA handles all that for me, all my products are made for my hair in Paris

by Anonymousreply 6708/17/2012

Nature's Gate from Whole Foods.

by Anonymousreply 6808/17/2012

OMG, how CUTE!, r65. Online oink, PLEASE!

by Anonymousreply 6908/17/2012

I mean link.

by Anonymousreply 7008/17/2012

My partner gets steep discounts on Estee Lauder owned company products, Bumble & Bumble being one of them. He buys a large bottle of the shampoo, it's ok. I don't think it's any better or worse than Suave or whatever else is sold in the drug store. He used to buy these tiny bottles of Kiehl's for like $30 each, I tried it a few times I thought it was awful Didn't lather up much, no matter how much I rinsed I felt like it wasn't moving off my head and then I could barely get the comb through it.

When I was in college in the early 90's I used Pert Plus. I didn't mind the smell, I liked it. My hair was always so fluffy and then after a few months I'd do a quick switch to Prell for a few weeks and then go back to Pert Plus. The girl who used to cut my hair said that Prell was good for getting rid of build-up.

by Anonymousreply 7108/17/2012

You get what you pay for. Moroccanoil Is hands down the best

by Anonymousreply 7208/17/2012

Ah worsh my harr in the sink with leftover bacon grease! It makes it smell beautimous when ah do!

by Anonymousreply 7308/17/2012

[quote]You get what you pay for.

Isn't that exactly what the hateful materialistic mother-in-law Mimi Kennedy played kept saying to Owen Wilson in MIDNIGHT IN PARIS?

by Anonymousreply 7408/17/2012

Most of the 'salon quality' products are multilevel marketing scams.

by Anonymousreply 7508/17/2012

I use Redken Color Extend. I color my hair and it keeps the color really well.

by Anonymousreply 7608/17/2012

For the person using Nioxin, you can get the same tingly feeling for a lot less using John Freida's Root Awakening shampoo.

As my hair started thinning, I also started to get scalp pain, the Nioxin didn't do much for the thinning or the scalp inflammation, in fact it seemed to irritate my scalp even more. A female friend recommended Root Awakening because she also had scalp issues.

Root Awakening is amazing. I use the type for breakage prone hair. Besides my scalp feeling great, it leaves my hair fuller and shiny.

It has peppermint oil, menthol and Eucalyptus oil in it. It really soothes a sore scalp.

The no-SLS shampoos were awful, I've tried so many, what a waste. If you are concerned about too much detergent in SLS shampoos, use less!

Dove shampoos are also great.

by Anonymousreply 7708/17/2012

I make my own shampoo that works better than anything I've ever bought.

by Anonymousreply 7808/17/2012

The simple fact is that if what product you use lathers it's destroying your hair.

by Anonymousreply 7908/17/2012

Pureology Nanowork Shampoo and Conditioner

by Anonymousreply 8008/18/2012

We buy 1 gal. of Kirkland from the Costco. good shit.

by Anonymousreply 8108/18/2012

"The simple fact is that if what product you use lathers it's destroying your hair."

Yes, blah, blah, blah, so WTF are you supposed to use to cleanse your hair, you know to get the dirt out from the filthy air, too get the natural oil build up out and for people who use styling products which coat the hair such as hairspray and silicons....well, exactly HOW are you supposed to clean your hair if you don't want to use a shampoo since it has soap/detergent in it?!

by Anonymousreply 8208/18/2012

What's your recipe, R78?

by Anonymousreply 8308/18/2012

The green stuff off the bottom shelf, the one with all the dust on it.

by Anonymousreply 8408/18/2012

btw, baby shampoo is not good for thinning hair and for people with scalp problems. Don't let the claims of mildness fool you, the ph is all wrong.

The ph balance in baby shampoo is bad for people with thinning hair and scalp issues, such as Seb Derm, dandruff etc.

by Anonymousreply 8508/18/2012

I brush my teeth with baking soda twice a day with no issues.

by Anonymousreply 8608/18/2012

I was convinced by a stylist that Nioxin mousse rubbed in at the front of my head where the hair is thinning would restore hair lost to my receding hair line. Is that true? Does anything help? Rogaine? I'm pretty desperate.

by Anonymousreply 8708/18/2012

I use Pantene products, they're great. Every once and a while I buy something else.

I know that L'Oreal is made by the same company that makes Lancome. Other than packaging, some of their products differ slightly but are essentially the same thing. With some of them they don't even bother to change the packaging, just the name on the label.

by Anonymousreply 8808/18/2012

R83, I buy Dr. Bronner's Baby Mild Liquid Soap by the gallon.

Using an 8-ounce bottle, I dilute the soap to a ratio of one part soap to five parts water, then I add a tablespoon of jojoba oil. I add a few drops of essential oil if I want the shampoo to have a fragrance.

It's also the best body wash I've ever used, and I don't have competing fragrances.

by Anonymousreply 8908/18/2012

Hello , I'm Rula Lenska. As an actress I always have to look my best that's why I'm glad I found Alberto V05 hot oil treatment.

by Anonymousreply 9008/18/2012

[quote]We buy 1 gal. of Kirkland from the Costco. good shit.

The Costco shampoos get consistent rave reviews. They're rumored to be made by Pureology.

by Anonymousreply 9108/18/2012

Recently bought a big $2 bottle of Prell after not having used it since I was a kid. It's an excellent clarifying shampoo used once a week in place of my regular brand -- leaves my hair really clean and full.

by Anonymousreply 9210/03/2012

I've tried all sorts of shampoos, from salon brands to "natural" brands to store brands I've found the retail brands to be better than the expensive salon brands.

Nioxin - Did not do shit to help out my thinning areas and expensive as hell.

Nexxus VitaTress Biotin Shampoo - Claims to remove DHT and help thinning hair, yet again, didn't do shit except make my hair oily and greasy.

Avalon Organics Biotin Shampoo - Claims to have no harmful sulfates and to thicken hair...didn't do anything but leave my hair greasy and weighed it down (seems to be the case with Biotin shampoos).

Ion Volumizing Shampoo - This shampoo I used to love for years, but eventually my hair became immune to its benefits, so I don't use it anymore. Smelled great though.

Clear Scalp & Hair Beauty Volumizing Root Boost - Currently using this retail shampoo and I love it. It smells greats, lathers great, and it really does seem to clean well and thicken hair.

I love trying new shampoos because it gets so boring using the same one all the time, so I have 5 different ones I rotate on.

by Anonymousreply 9302/09/2013

You can get Prell again? Is it still "Prell Green"?

by Anonymousreply 9402/09/2013

People keep telling me my head is up my ass, so I use Fleet.

by Anonymousreply 9502/09/2013

Nothing but Wen goes on this head of hair. It makes a HUGE difference, too.

by Anonymousreply 9602/09/2013

I've been using Renpure Tropicals Australian shampoo & conditioner (and "surf" spray) that I got 3-in-1 for $9.99 at Bed Bath & Beyond several months ago. I bought it for the sole reason that it smells like "suntan lotion," the kind I remember putting on as a little kid in the early 80s. It doesn't get my hair too clean; it's not a heavy duty hair detergent.

There's another brand of organic shampoo I like that has a coconut scent, and I buy that one for the same reason. That one, however, actually gets my hair really clean and full.

Neither of these products are tested on animals.

by Anonymousreply 9702/09/2013

I used to get salon shampoos, but years ago I just said "fuck it" and got whatever was on sale at the drugstore. I haven't noticed any difference whatsoever. I usually just get VO5 or Suave. I never use conditioner because I have very soft hair so I really don't need it. Honestly, I could use a bar of soap to wash my hair (and I have sometimes) and it works the same as any shampoo.

by Anonymousreply 9802/09/2013

Redken all soft.

by Anonymousreply 9902/09/2013
Need more help? Click Here.