Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

"Young Adult" (2011)

A good movie that did absolutely nothing at the box office. I thought it was far superior to "Juno," which was written and directed by the same team (Diablo Cody and Jason Reitman.) Charlize Theron and Patton Oswald were both excellent.

by Anonymousreply 4601/05/2013

Charlize was terrific in an unsympathetic role, She was nominated for a Golden Globe and should have been for the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 208/16/2012

Was it because she had the abortion in this one?

by Anonymousreply 308/16/2012

I loved this movie. Patton Oswalt was very good and Charlize Theron was amazing. She didn't win anything because she didn't ugly herself up enough, she wasn't a historical figure and the character was unsympathetic. But I do think it was the best performance of the year.

The screenplay is far from perfect (the big monologue at the party was awkward and I wish they hadn't given her a 'secret' to justify her actions) but I think it shows growth from Cody and there were some excellent scenes. Even with the problems, it stayed with me more than most movies i've seen recently.

by Anonymousreply 408/16/2012

This was a very painful film for me to watch, as the month before I saw it I has reunited with my high school boyfriend.

I thought we were going to reignite; he had moved on.

Very awkward to watch a film and it dawn on you that you are the unsympathetic nut everyone finds pitiful/annoying.

by Anonymousreply 508/16/2012

Loved the big party scene, it was hysterical and sad at the same time. Loved this film and was ready to hate it because I didn't like Diablo until I saw this.

by Anonymousreply 608/16/2012

Didn't like it at all. Totally flat with seriously unsympathetic characters.

by Anonymousreply 708/16/2012

R5, don't be so hard on yourself.

We all feel. We all want love.

by Anonymousreply 808/16/2012

I thought Patton & Charlize were sympathetic.

by Anonymousreply 908/16/2012

Could Charlize Theron lay claim to the title of DL sacred cow? I don't think I've read a single bitchy/dismissive comment about her here.

by Anonymousreply 1008/16/2012

You must have missed the thread when she adopted the baby, R10.

by Anonymousreply 1108/16/2012

That I did.

by Anonymousreply 1208/16/2012

Who wants to bet that R8 is fat?

by Anonymousreply 1308/16/2012

[quote]I wish they hadn't given her a 'secret' to justify her actions

Agreed, R4. Actually, I think they could have done that whole scene where she drunkenly screams at the wife that she fucking hates her without the whole "big reveal" aspect. I thought her character was plenty entertaining just as a selfish, alcoholic brat who never moved on from her high school glory days. The "reveal" just seemed schlocky.

by Anonymousreply 1408/16/2012

I was a great film but Charlize was not the most likable was way better than Juno, which I could not sit through.

by Anonymousreply 1508/16/2012

I liked it too OP.

by Anonymousreply 1608/16/2012

So what was the big "reveal?" Can someone tell us after posting:

by Anonymousreply 1708/16/2012

Who wants to bet R13 is a cunt?

by Anonymousreply 1808/16/2012

It was already revealed above.

by Anonymousreply 1908/16/2012

It started off so drably and CT's character has no redeeming qualities. Then it dawns on you that that's the point. Harsh, sad, unromantic, unsympathetic, sort of funny and quite realistic.

by Anonymousreply 2008/16/2012

I did enjoy the film, but I was expecting her to be more of a TWIT (Teenage Women In Their Thirties) than she was. The obsession with the color pink, Hello Kitty accessories and Twilight-loving bullshit was too toned down for me. I wanted the full Mariah, Paris Hilton, Kim Kardashian, Cameron Diaz, et al. "I'm still a teenage girl!" experience.

by Anonymousreply 2108/16/2012

Both the town she left and the midwestern apartment Charlize's character for which she left the town life were equally despairing.

I loved the film, and found her performance incredible; even more so the second time I saw it on blu-ray.

by Anonymousreply 2208/16/2012

Well I screwed up that first sentence, which should have read:

Both the town she left and the midwestern apartment she currently resided were equally despairing.

by Anonymousreply 2308/16/2012

aw same sort of thing happened with me r5. It made me love it even more...I even cried. I could really relate to her character.

by Anonymousreply 2408/17/2012

God, I hated "Young Adult." Awful, awful screenplay, and not one of Theron's best. Patton Oswalt was fine, but the movie just was a loser in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 2508/17/2012

Loved this film! Don't understand why it didn't get more attention. Has some very very funny moments.

by Anonymousreply 2608/17/2012

The trailer.

by Anonymousreply 2708/17/2012

I really enjoyed it, and thought Theron gave a fantastic performance. She's a very good actress. I was also ready to hate it, because I can't stand Diablo Cody and think Juno is one of the most overhyped films ever.

by Anonymousreply 2808/17/2012

I love Charlize.

by Anonymousreply 2908/17/2012

It was a miscarriage, not an abortion.

by Anonymousreply 3008/19/2012

One miscarriage with the high school sweetheart's baby and probably more with her husband. She said something about her broken body. I don't think the movie would be as good without the reveal. People have their reasons to be cunts (no that that justifies them) was kind of the point, mirrored with Oswald's character.

by Anonymousreply 3108/20/2012

So was Beth was completely innocent? Even though her friends all hated Mavis?

Matt told Mavis the truth in the beginning.

by Anonymousreply 3209/10/2012

What do you mean? What should Beth be guilty of?

by Anonymousreply 3309/11/2012

Throwing things in Mavis's face. Her friends didn't like Mavis. I think Beth wasn't so innocent. That feel sorry act was bs.

by Anonymousreply 3409/13/2012

I like Charlize, but this film had no one you could sympathize with. Charlize's character was the anti-hero. It serves no purpose.

So she's a failed author who is now a ghost writer who goes back to her hometown with the intention of breaking up the marriage of her happily married and new dad ex-high school boyfriend.

That's it. There was nothing deep or entertaining about the plot at all. It's a made-for-tv film that ought to have aired on Lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 3509/13/2012

This film was a real wake up call to me. I took a break from watching the Kardashians to go see it and actually brought my own bottle of Diet Coke to the cinema. And I was wearing sweat pants.

True story.

by Anonymousreply 3609/13/2012

I get so bored with people like R21 who dislike films just because they didn't meet their "expectations." How about going to the cinema or the theatre or listening to music or reading a book without any expectations and entering into the world of the work with some context other than "my expectations of how things should be"?

I don't think people like you realise how stupid and narrow-minded you sound.

by Anonymousreply 3709/13/2012

Fabulous performance by Theron. How was she not nominated for an Oscar for this?

by Anonymousreply 3812/27/2012

Saw this the other night -- I thought it was going to be a laff-riot comedy (hadn't read anything about it online) and found it incredibly depressing.

by Anonymousreply 3901/04/2013

A very good movie. Has some good black-comedy moments (which I love).

by Anonymousreply 4001/04/2013

"There was nothing deep or entertaining about the plot at all. It's a made-for-tv film that ought to have aired on Lifetime."

You've obviously never seen a Lifetime movie. It wasn't a "true crime" schlockfest or an issue-of-the-week disaster.

"How about going to the cinema or the theatre or listening to music or reading a book without any expectations and entering into the world of the work with some context other than "my expectations of how things should be"?"

Stop lecturing other people and being mean for no reason. If read about a movie before you see or see commercials for the movie then you will have expectations about what it might be like. Nothing unusual there.

by Anonymousreply 4101/04/2013

I loved the film, particularly the sister of Patton Oswald's character who, for a "rube", gives the supposedly "worldly" Charlize's character a blunt but honest talk about the hometown and her place in it. Way better and honest than the average "star vehicle".

By the way, Charlize's look at her rival performing in the bar band was absolutely chilling. She should have been nominated for that one scene alone. I love the other barmembers saw through her immediately.

by Anonymousreply 4201/04/2013

This thread inspired me to watch it again. Great movie that probably won't get the respect it deserves because of misogyny (don't worry, I'm not the Misogyny Kills troll.) If this movie was made about a man, it would reap the awards. But as much as I like it, there are some flaws that prevent it from being a true classic. It's hard to believe that a character as seemingly popular as Charlize Theron's would have a successful career as a writer. To be a successful writer, there needs to be more introspection than her character shows throughout the movie.

I also thought Theron's performance was lacking. It was too cold and sociopathic to make the movie engaging, even with an antihero point of view. There was no empathy to be had. This would've been fine if Diablo Cody hadn't written the character to have a sliver of a spine wrapped beneath all the chaos.

by Anonymousreply 4301/04/2013

Her character's situation was very believable, though the elements might have been a bit uneven.

by Anonymousreply 4401/04/2013

I think Lisa Kudrow would have done a brilliant job with this role of a narcissist in crisis.

by Anonymousreply 4501/04/2013

But she's not a good writer, R43.

It's called The Comeback, R45.

by Anonymousreply 4601/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!