Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

HR Mavens - I have a question

Do companies have to legally post an ad externally, even when a job has been promised/groomed/created for an internal candidate?

by Anonymousreply 2212/08/2012

No. There are some jobs only people who currently work there can get. Federal govt. does this quite often.

by Anonymousreply 108/15/2012

No, there's no legal requirement to do that. But some companies go ahead and do it as a matter of policy.

by Anonymousreply 208/15/2012

I have a question for HR, too, and I'm too cheap to spend $18 for Datalounge.

I have to punch a clock at my job. Sometimes I go over my hour lunch by 5 or 10 minutes, but I always make sure to work my full 8 hours a day. This has never been a problem and no one in the company besides my boss cares.

Recently my boss has started getting on my case about this. He only did it after I complained about my coworker, who's his pet, being lazy and not doing enough work. I suspect he's going to use my long lunches against me in my upcoming review.

I was thinking of writing down the projects my coworker and I have worked on separately in my review. If I did this it would clearly show how lazy my coworker is. I don't think the owner of my company, who signs off on the reviews, knows what goes on in my department and this would be a way to let him know.

Is this a good idea? How would this come across to someone in HR? Would I be seen as a potential troublemaker?

by Anonymousreply 311/16/2012

Cubiclegay bump

by Anonymousreply 411/17/2012

The company's affirmative action plan may require certain advertising requirements for open positions.

by Anonymousreply 511/17/2012

It depends on the State, it is a requirement in some states but companies find away around it.

by Anonymousreply 611/17/2012

Gee R3, it is a no brainer. Supervisors, HR, everyone just adores someone who bitches about co-workers. It makes it feel like the high school years that we all miss so much.

by Anonymousreply 711/17/2012

[quote]Do companies have to legally post an ad externally, even when a job has been promised/groomed/created for an internal candidate?

We do it all the time in the federal gov't. My agency is not currently hiring anyone from outside the agency due to yet another hiring freeze so it's our only option.

by Anonymousreply 811/17/2012

So it's a bad idea?

by Anonymousreply 911/19/2012

What is an "HR maven"???

by Anonymousreply 1011/19/2012

R3, eyes on your own paper. Just do what your boss wants and take control of your own work. Trying to make your co-worker look bad will just reflect poorly on you and besides what he does is none of your business.

by Anonymousreply 1111/19/2012

Question for Labor Lawyer - Working overtime I get time and a half. Shouldn't I get time and half if I take it as Comp time?

by Anonymousreply 1211/19/2012

HR mavens, please help!

Im getting laid off in a couple of months. Should I make my resumes and applications reflect the date that Im getting laid off next year, or should I just leave the end date as "present", as if I will be continually employed in my current job? Im thinking I could get a sympathy interview or two if put my reason for leaving my current job as getting laid off. Ive been going on interviews for months before I officially knew I was getting the boot. It seems like no one wants to hire me because Im currently employed and it looks like Im defecting. I have no idea what to do.

by Anonymousreply 1312/08/2012

Interesting question, R12. I'm not in HR, but I'd like to know the answer to this.

by Anonymousreply 1412/08/2012

"It seems like no one wants to hire me because Im currently employed and it looks like Im defecting. I have no idea what to do."

Are you fucking kidding me?!! HR and bosses LOVE hiring people who currently have jobs. They actually avoid interviewing most unemployed workers! This is the reason so many people are under-employed these days.

You must be out of the loop, there was so much hoopla and angst about this in the news last year, that it's damn unethical to not even consider unemployed people, IE: the ones who really need a job, for a job.

by Anonymousreply 1512/08/2012

[quote]They actually avoid interviewing most unemployed workers! This is the reason so many people are under-employed these days.

Believe me, I know r15! I was out of work for two years before this job. But Im still not sure how to go about addressing my upcoming lay-off on paper, or if I should just casually mention it in the "tell us about yourself" portion of interviews.

by Anonymousreply 1612/08/2012

R3 - I suggest that you focus on your own work, rather than complaining about other people. You actually don't know what is happening in the other person's life and petty complaints make you look small.

by Anonymousreply 1712/08/2012

[quote] Im getting laid off in a couple of months. Should I make my resumes and applications reflect the date that Im getting laid off next year, or should I just leave the end date as "present",

I would leave the end date as 'present', but I would also explain somewhere that you're looking for a job because you are one of a number (?) of people who are expecting to be laid off in February (?) due to (whatever the reasons are).

by Anonymousreply 1812/08/2012

I'm currently employed and have been for four years. What are some things I can say to make it look good that I'm looking for work?

by Anonymousreply 1912/08/2012

[quote] What are some things I can say to make it look good that I'm looking for work?

Looking to build upon the skills that you have developed in the past four years.

Looking for new challenges.

Applying because (new employer) able to offer greater diversity, more opportunities to (do something).

by Anonymousreply 2012/08/2012

[R3] In most work situations if you work overtime more than, seems like it was 7 minutes they have to pay overtime. That is why your boss is on your ass. Do your job and stop worrying about the other guy. Sounds like you might be looking for work soon

by Anonymousreply 2112/08/2012

Government entities, city, county etc are usually required to announce jobs. Doesn't mean they don't mostly hire from within. Hard to prove any unfairness that is often there. Always helps to know someone

by Anonymousreply 2212/08/2012
Need more help? Click Here.