Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

CNN Looking At Reality Tv Shows To Help Save Sinking Ratings

Could we be getting "The Real Housewives of CNN" soon?

As the oldest cable news network struggles with plunging ratings and a leadership vacuum at the top, the New York Post reported Monday that it is looking to reality shows as a potential savior.

Citing documents, the tabloid wrote that executives have been talking to Hollywood agencies and producers, mulling a late-night talk show in the style of "The View," a slew of reality programming on weekends, and searching for hosts from outside the normal TV news arenas.

If the plans go through, CNN would be far from the first cable network to stray somewhat from its original identity. An outside producer who has been involved told the Post, that the meetings were akin to "that moment when MTV decided to stop playing music videos."

The difference, of course, is that the news is a supposedly more high-minded field than the world of the music video. The Post report immediately elicited harsh commentary. "CNN to save itself by featuring less news," New York magazine wrote.

"Kind of difficult to make the argument you're a news network when you want to do this," media writer Gabriel Sherman tweeted.

But the network could also be forgiven for casting about for new blood. Though it is highly profitable, its ratings have hit 20-year lows and its president has announced his departure. The CEO of Time Warner has put CNN on notice. What's a network to do?

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 3910/12/2012

i see a Guy Fieri-type show for Candy(bar) Crowley.

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 108/13/2012

Starring CNN and DL fave Anderson Cooper!!!!

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 208/13/2012

LOL!!! R1 !!!

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 308/13/2012

"My Boyfriend is a Two-Timing Musclebound Ho," starring Anderson Cooper.

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 408/13/2012

Isn't their version of the news just another "Reality" show anyway?

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 508/13/2012

About to write the same, R5.

About they try going with REAL real news?

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 608/13/2012

How about*

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 708/13/2012

Sinking ratings? Hmm... I wonder why??

Someone please post this article in its own thread. How fucking DISRESPECTFUL of CNN to steal Ambassador Stevens' PRIVATE JOURNAL, to the OBJECTIONS of his family, and peruse through his personal property. ESPECIALLY given the circumstances of his death.

CNN has no class and no morals. And they fucking wonder why nobody gives a shit about them. But they have sunk to a new low:

"CNN obtains journal of slain ambassador, reportedly goes against his family’s wishes" A personal journal belonging to U.S. Ambassador to Libya Christopher Stevens was obtained by CNN, and The Wall Street Journal is reporting that it "broadcast reports based on its contents against the wishes of the Stevens family, according to relatives and State Department officials who were asked to intervene by the family."

The cable news network didn't publicly acknowledge having the journal until Friday night.

According to an un-bylined story posted Saturday on CNN's website "four days after he was killed, CNN found a journal belonging to late U.S. Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens. The journal was found on the floor of the largely unsecured consulate compound where he was fatally wounded."

Stevens and three other Americans were killed in an attack by militants in the American consulate in Benghazi on Sept. 11.

CNN claims on its website that it "notified Stevens' family about the journal within hours after it was discovered and at the family's request provided it to them via a third party."

The Journal reports that the slain ambassador's family contacted the State Department, which put together a conference call between the Stevens family and CNN. During the call, the family "personally appealed to the news organization to return the journal and to not publish or broadcast any of its contents, according to a Stevens family member and State Department officials."

The family also told CNN that they wanted to look at the seven-page handwritten journal before the news organization used it, "saying the ambassador's personal writings belonged to them." The Journal reports that CNN agreed to not use the contents of the diary until the family had had a chance to look at it themselves.

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 809/23/2012

I am in talks right now

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 909/23/2012

R4 Great show idea! Anderson is such a fame whore that I'm sure one day he'll have his own reality show. It'll probably be on CNN too, they obviously don't care about the news.

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 1009/23/2012

Someday, r10?

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 1109/23/2012

It's inevitable. It's only a matter of time before CNN starts airing reality shows in prime time, syndicated reruns of "Two and a Half Men" during the day, and ProActiv infomercials on the weekends -- all while still claiming to be the Cable News Network. Isn't this the inevitable fate of every cable network?

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 1209/23/2012

They should just follow CNN International's model which presents real news and informative programs without the need for argumentative commentary or debate. It would reduce costs by having just one format with one set of non-celebrity reporters. The ratings couldn't be much worse with a CNNI format because conservatives won't watch CNN anyway, and liberals generally tune in for breaking news on CNN and may actually like the more neutral CNNI anyway.

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 1309/23/2012

Well, maybe they trained cameras on themselves this past week. That would be good for a season of something.

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 1409/24/2012

Goddammit, I'm finished. Weekend reality programs?

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 1509/24/2012

Maybe they should stop kissing the ass of the GOP and teabaggers and maybe they'd have the kind of ratings Rachel Maddow has.

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 1609/24/2012

"My Brother's Personal Diary" starring Anderson Cooper.

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 1709/24/2012

"Mother, May I Sleep With A Sleazy Cheating Bartender?" movie of the week.

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 1809/24/2012

Why not just set up a camera in Central Park the next time Anderson's piece steps out?

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 2009/24/2012

"Desi & Lezzie": When Sanjay Gupta and Donna Brazile move in together, the sparks FLY!

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 2109/24/2012

"The Swan," hosted by Dana Bash. How to go from ugly to mildly attractive, with just a few nips and tucks.

"It's Rainin' Men!" dance party, hosted by Don Lemon.

"AARP Nation: Dealing with Alzheimer's," hosted by Wolf Blitzer.

"Suzie Orman Fix My Life: I'm Fat and Over 50!" A daily video diary, hosted by Candy Cowley.

"Cum Clean My Closet," a lifestyle and variety show, hosted by Anderson Cooper, in partnership with HGTV.

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 2209/24/2012

W&W for R21.

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 2309/24/2012

Someone needs to strip down DL identifying information and e-mail this to CNN.

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 2409/24/2012

I would watch an hour of Anderson and Don Lemmon fighting and engaging in random face slapping.

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 2509/24/2012

I'm fuzzy on CNN history - did the shareholders force Ted Turner out the door?

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 2609/24/2012

R26, he sold the company to TimeWarner.

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 2709/24/2012

They need to hire Connie Chung to head up a class in re-training CNN personalities.

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 2809/24/2012

The best solution would be to bring Ted Turner back, much like Apple did with Steve Jobs.

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 2909/24/2012

Time Warner merger Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. merged with Time Warner, Inc. on October 10, 1996, with Turner as vice chairman and head of Time Warner and Turner's cable networks division.[25] Turner was dropped as head of cable networks by CEO Gerald Levin but remained as Vice Chairman of Time Warner. He resigned as Time Warner vice chairman in 2003 and then from the board of directors in 2006. On January 11, 2001, Time Warner was purchased by AOL to become AOL Time Warner, a merger which Turner initially supported.[26] However, the burst of the dotcom bubble hurt the growth and profitability of the AOL division which in turned dragged down the combined company's performance and stock price. At a board meeting in fall 2001, Turner's outburst against AOL Time Warner CEO Gerald Levin eventually led to the latter's announced resignation effective in early 2002, being replaced by Richard Parsons. In contrast to Levin who as CEO isolated Turner from important company matters, Parsons did invite Turner back to provide strategic advice although Turner never received an operational role that he sought.[27] The company dropped "AOL" from its name in 2003. In December 2009, AOL was spun off from the Time Warner conglomerate as a separate company. Turner was Time Warner's biggest individual shareholder. It is estimated he lost as much as $7 billion when the stock collapsed in the wake of the merger. When asked about buying back his former assets, he replied that he can't afford them now.[28]

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 3009/24/2012

I'm sure Flavor Flav and The Situation are ready to host news shows.

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 3109/25/2012

[quote]They should just follow CNN International's model which presents real news and informative programs without the need for argumentative commentary or debate.

Agreed with R13. I rarely look to TV for news, and then to the BBC or a few minutes of one of the broadcast network's evening news programs. Occasionally, though, I'll find CNN hoping for some news on an important story and it's always neck-deep in personality-driven programming: an hour of this host on the heels of an hour of some other host, followed by an hour of yet another.

I don't give a rat's ass about news personalities or their gripes or their take on the news, about Piers Morgan's guests or Wolf Blitzer's dour prattlings, or Anderson Cooper's "documentaries," or Erin Burnett's round-table (whoever the fuck that is)... The media are inundated with that sort of filtered and molded commentary about news. Just dole out the fucking news: people reading news reports, accompanied by news footage and some news features.

CNN is useless and has been for ages, it seems. It's a 24-cycle of self-important news radio-style blabbing, anything but a 24-hour cycle of news delivery.

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 3209/25/2012

What about a dating reality show with Anderson Cooper or Don Lemmon? It could be done Bachelor style. Or Anderson could do a Watch What Happens Live TV show like Andy Cohen. 'Cookin' with Candy' could be a foodie show starring Crowley.

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 3309/25/2012

"What about a dating reality show with Anderson Cooper or Don Lemmon?"

Anderson doesn't need a dating reality he show, he has Ben. They've been madly in love for 4 whole years now.

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 3409/25/2012

THE GAY BACHELOR - Anderson Cooper meets and dates ten men to decide which one will be his next boyfriend. What he doesn't know is that two of them are straight. Host: Chaz Bono

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 3509/25/2012

[quote] THE GAY BACHELOR - Anderson Cooper meets and dates ten men to decide which one will be his next boyfriend.

Guest starring Andra "This is bullshit!" from Boy meets Boy.

This is bullshit!!

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 3609/26/2012

That shit wouldn't fly on CNN.

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 3709/26/2012

So what are the odds that CNN gives Anderson Cooper his own reality show?

We could follow Anderson's torn personal life, between Ben and his harem of whores. Nene could drop in. It would be a hit!

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 3810/12/2012

Bring back Bob lousur and Lynn Russell.

by Ted Turner, digging a hole, right now!reply 3910/12/2012
Need more help? Click Here.