Since 1995

Who here has read Gone Girl

ANYONE? I am dying to hash it out.

by Anonymousreply 3910/14/2014

ie

by Anonymousreply 108/13/2012

yes?

by Anonymousreply 208/13/2012

I read it and would be happy to discuss it with you OP.

by Anonymousreply 308/13/2012

r3, did you hate the ending as much as I did?

by Anonymousreply 408/13/2012

SPOILERS BELOW

I finished it about two weeks ago. I thought the first section of the book, where you don't know what happened to Amy, was beautifully executed and tense. She's slowly building sympathy for Nick as a character, but also of course raising doubts about him and strongly hinting that he killed his wife. It was a tough balancing act and she pulled it off well.

After the big reveal that Amy is still alive and is framing Nick, I thought it lost quite a bit of its tension and became much more like a cheesy Hollywood thriller. I didn't quite buy the character of Evil Mastermind Amy, and her motivation seemed sort of sketchy.

That being said, once Amy and Nick finally came back into each other's orbit I did thing she regained a strong measure of narrative tension. And I liked the very end with the pregnancy reveal - it was at least of a piece with the kind of person she had made Amy into.

Considering the book's success and the likelihood of a screen adaptation, I have to assume that Gillian Flynn is already thinking about sequel ideas.

I don't read a lot of crime fiction/thrillers, but overall I'd give it a B+.

by Anonymousreply 508/13/2012

Agree, it was a great summer read BUT the ending didn't quite work - the second half becomes very Fatal Attraction. If you're in the mood for a page turner without much thinking, you couldn't do better.

by Anonymousreply 608/13/2012

Ah, I had to skip over the spoiler to respond this: I'm trying to read it now but I find it hard to get in to. All the characters seem so unlikeable and I'm kind of tired of the cliche NYers going to the midwest and being bored out of their minds.

by Anonymousreply 708/13/2012

Agree with much R5 said.

I admit I loved Amy's snarky interpretions of the subtext of male/female sexual dynamics. Even though as a sociopath she reduced everything down to manipulation and selfish intent.

I sort of thought of Nick as a "nicer" sociopath.

After reading this novel. I read both of Flynn's previus works.

Sharp Objects

About a troubled young female reporter who goes back to her midwestern town to investigate two child murders. While there we see into her family background which contributed to her personal difficulties in relationships and her propensity for cutting as a teen. Very dark.

Dark Places

About a girl who survived her family's massacre as a seven year old and testified against her older brother. Story starts with her coming to the end of her money and "fame" years later. She gets involved with a secret group that meets to discuss and analyze murders and hatches a plan to profit from her tragic history. I won't say more because that might spoil it for readers.

Of the two books, Dark Places is the better, I think. The writer's voice is strong and her narrative growth is evident between this book and Gone Girl. Sharp Objects is a tough read due to the twisted dynamics of the reporter and her mother, and the apparent damage she lives with.

by Anonymousreply 808/13/2012

I haven't read this, but I read Flynn's first two books and she is so-so. Both of those had stupid endings as well.

by Anonymousreply 908/13/2012

R6

Flynn's writing is very dramatic and intense. I agree that the ending of the novels may seem as if she had run out of steam. I did like Dark Places better than Gone Girl. Of the three books, Sharp Objects seemed to get lost for a long period mid book. I saw the ending coming from a mile away as well.

by Anonymousreply 1008/13/2012

SPOILER BELOW

Amy's parents weren't developed properly -- a major flaw, IMO. No idea how they created this monster. They seem a bit lovey dovey and silly, but ... there's really NO RATIONALE at all for how they created this monster.

And are preppies really named "Desi"?

by Anonymousreply 1108/13/2012

I just finish it. I listened to it too and from work for the last few weeks and it was engrossing enough to make me look forward to the drive. The ending was completely depressing to me. It took the idea of "settling" to a whole nother level.

by Anonymousreply 1208/13/2012

ITA, r11.

by Anonymousreply 1308/13/2012

I agree with everything r11 said!

For a fun summer page turner, you can't do better. Even as the story became more outlandish, I still couldn't put the book down and read it in 2 days....very unusual for me, a normally slow reader.

And though it's not great literature, I didn't find it trashy.

by Anonymousreply 1408/13/2012

bump in the night

by Anonymousreply 1508/13/2012

I have been read 'Go Girl'!

by Anonymousreply 1708/19/2012

lah!!! I haven't seen you here in forever. Welcome back, or welcome on your resurface (if you've been lurking).

by Anonymousreply 1808/19/2012

I thought they were setting the father up for her murder.

by Anonymousreply 1908/20/2012

I enjoyed the ride but not the destination. Very lame ending, and not very convincing.

by Anonymousreply 2009/25/2012

So...the ending. Do we think she kills herself (and therefore the baby); Nick; or the baby right after the baby is born?

I flew through this book but I sort of hated it. The first half was Scott Peterson and the second half was batshit crazy lady.

Reese Witherspoon is producing the movie which probably means that she will star as Amy, as well. I suppose it could work when I think of Reese as Tracy Flick in "Election"...but Amy is a role I can actually see GOOP in. For Nick I would select John Krasinski. Yes, really.

by Anonymousreply 2102/11/2013

anyone?

by Anonymousreply 2202/13/2013

R9, Gone Girl is really good - until the end (that's just mine and almost everyone else's opinion though). I didn't like the ending, but I really liked the set up and how it unfolded.

I liked Dark Places, but I didn't like Sharp Objects at all. There was nothing special about it.

by Anonymousreply 2302/13/2013

spoiler

I might have liked the ending if Nick would have had a big upper hand. If he was getting some pay back, but just going back to the way things were and essentially being pussy whipped by Amy is a cop out. It's different, but it's lame and disappointing

by Anonymousreply 2402/13/2013

Just finished it and boy, was it a page-turner. I enjoyed all of it, even the perverse and depressing ending (although I was disappointed that Nick didn't at least get her back in some small way). First half of the book I hated Nick. Second half I despised Crazy Amy and got that same feeling of not being able to wait for the bitch to get her comeuppance, similar to the feeling I got while watching "Fatal Attraction", "Play Misty For Me", etc., for the first time.

by Anonymousreply 2503/28/2013

Just finished it and found the whole thing impossibly contrived. The way that Amy manages to almost always keep an upper hand and plan so many things with such consistent perfection became absurd after a while. It winds up being an exercise in perverse psychology and reactionary misogyny (Amy the feminist is a psycho bitch - Rush Limbaugh would approve).

by Anonymousreply 2606/21/2013

If you're halfway through and wondering whether to finish, don't. I would rather have the time back than know the ridiculous ending of Gone Girl.

by Anonymousreply 2706/21/2013

I can't believe she wrote such a smart female detective who in the end doesn't see thru all the holes in Amy's story. To me it seemed like Flynn didn't know how to end it and went with her first thought. I would have liked it if the female detective figures out Amy's BS but after getting to know Nick during the investigation decides that the best punishment for them is having to stay together because of the pregnancy ...... or something other than that ending

by Anonymousreply 2806/21/2013

Hated that ending. And the idea of a baby being raised by two sociopaths (or maybe he's a sociopath and she's a full on psychopath) was so depressing. I get that they deserve each other I just hated that it ended with her being pregnant. Otherwise it was a page turner, and I was so caught up with it that I couldn't put it down when she was at the trailer park, because I know those street smart people were going to get her.

by Anonymousreply 2906/22/2013

Ben Affleck cast in 'Gone Girl' movie

Affleck lands 'Gone Girl': Gone Girl has found its Nick Dunne. Deadline reports that Ben Affleck will play the lead in David Fincher's adaptation of Gillian Flynn's best-selling thriller (which is still in the top 20 of USA TODAY's Best-Selling Books list more than a year after its debut). With Fincher directing, Reese Witherspoon producing and Affleck co-starring, it's sure to be an A-list affair. Which leaves readers wondering, who will score the role as the maniacal Amazing Amy? The Wrap reports that Charlize Theron, Natalie Portman and Emily Blunt are all eyeing the part.

by Anonymousreply 3007/12/2013

Fincher will at least make it interesting, that's a good choice. Not sure about Affleck but he might actually be well-suited for Nick who is a good-looking sad sack with a totally undeserved high opinion of himself.

by Anonymousreply 3107/12/2013

I think GOOP would be a perfect Amy

by Anonymousreply 3207/12/2013

[all posts by ham-fisted troll a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 3307/12/2013

Spoiler

Why doesn't get revenge or try to get her money back from the other lodgers?

by Anonymousreply 3410/03/2014

Because then she'd have to admit that Desi did not in fact kidnap her from her house.

by Anonymousreply 3510/14/2014

I hated the book and the ending was stupid. There was not one character to root for or to care about. The husband was a p.o.s. The cops were idiots. The wife and family were sickos. The friends were knuckle heads. Yeah, over hyped piece of crap but will likely make a better movie

by Anonymousreply 3610/14/2014

I enjoyed the book and I appreciated the subtle ending. But there are holes. Like, did they not know Desi was full of sleeping pills? or did Amy admit she drugged him?

Bottom line, it was a good page turner, but in real life she never would have gotten away with it.

by Anonymousreply 3710/14/2014

I hate the term "hash it out".

by Anonymousreply 3810/14/2014

That's just the tip of the iceberg, R37. It shouldn't have been difficult to prove Desi didn't abduct Amy. And just because he's a "kidnapper" doesn't mean the police wouldn't investigate Desi's desth Amy had a half-assed theory of how she would discredit Jeff and Greta, the cabin thieves. but she makes no mention of handling Dorothy, the cabin front desk clerk. Just the tip of the iceberg.

by Anonymousreply 3910/14/2014
Need more help? Click Here.