Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Heterosexual actor Jeremy Renner is #1 at the Box Office

'Bourne Legacy' Vanquishes 'Dark Knight Rises' at Box Office

August 12, 2012

Universal’s “Bourne Legacy” ended the reign of “Dark Knight Rises” with a $41.3 million opening weekend at the domestic box office, and gave franchise fans an intriguing question to ponder: Jeremy Renner, Matt Damon, or both?

The super spy tale is the fourth installment in the “Bourne” franchise and the first with Renner replacing Damon as the lead.

The success of the PG-13-rated action thriller “Bourne Legacy” represents a coming out party for Renner as a box-office star. Following his appearance in 2010's "The Hurt Locker," he’s been in several blockbusters including “The Avengers,” “Mission Impossible – Ghost Protocol” and “Thor,” but this time he was front and center.

And he could be in for another “Bourne” installment. “Bourne Legacy” didn’t match the numbers put up five years ago by “The Bourne Ultimatum,” which opened to $69 million and went on to earn $227 million domestically, but it played strongly enough to give Universal some options with the franchise.

Universal could do another with Renner, it could go back to Damon -- who bowed out of the fourth film -- or it could pair the two, a pricey proposition to be sure. “That would be a dream.” Universal’s head of distribution Nikki Rocco told TheWrap Sunday. “But we’re going to consider everything when we look at things going forward.”

As expected, “Bourne Legacy” played to older crowds. Sixty-nine percent of the “Bourne Legacy” audience was over 30 years of age, and 52 percent was male. It received a “B” Cinemascore. Universal debuted the film in 3,746 theaters, which means it has a $10,749 per-screen average.

Renner wasn’t ’the only one stepping into the spotlight on the $125 million Bourne Legacy.” Tony Gilroy, who penned the first three screenplays with his brother Dan, was in the director’s chair for the first time since he helmed “Duplicity” in 2009. Newcomers Rachel Weisz and Edward Norton joined “Bourne” alums Albert Finney, Joan Allen and David Strathairn in the cast.

The No. 2 movie was “The Campaign,” Warner Bros.’ R-rated political comedy starring Will Farrell and Zack Galifianakis. It did better than expected with a $27.4 million weekend.

Galafianakis continued his habit of delivering for Warner Bros. in R-rated comedies. He's starred in the box office hits “Hangover” and ‘Hangover 2,” and was paired with Robert Downey Jr. in 2010’s “Due Date,” which made $100 million domestically.

Ferrell hasn’t been in a wide release film since “The Other Guys” in 2010. That was a PG-13-rated action comedy with Mark Wahlberg and it made $119 million. He did voice work on “Megamind” but has otherwise steered clear of feature films, where his box office numbers have been uneven.

by Anonymousreply 4101/12/2013

The use of this phrase cannot be coincidental:

[quote] The success of the PG-13-rated action thriller “Bourne Legacy” represents a coming out party for Renner as a box-office star.

Clearly, the press knows the truth but is winking at the reading public. We know, too, Jeremy!

COME OUT, COME OUT however queer you are!

by Anonymousreply 108/12/2012

What is that nickname he has? Some DLer always posts it in a Renner thread, and it always makes me laugh. Princess Lotus Flower, or something like that.

by Anonymousreply 208/12/2012

[quote]represents a coming out party for Renner

Double entendre?

by Anonymousreply 308/12/2012

The thing that made the Bourne movies work so well was Damon's performance. He didn't play Bourne like a traditional action hero, but rather what he was - a robotic creature of sorts, slowly gaining glimmers of self awareness and increasingly hating himself in the process.

I haven't seen the new one, but just based on clips and commercials Renner has that cheap Hollywood action-hero thing: eyes twinkling as he stares at some female he's saving with a look that says, "You're welcome." Not interested.

by Anonymousreply 408/12/2012

The series was played out at the end of #2. The movie is getting reviewed poorly. I like Renner, but he's a second banana-type without the charisma necessary for an action hero. Better if he goes back to smaller, character roles.

by Anonymousreply 508/12/2012

Princess Geranium!

by Anonymousreply 608/15/2012

They're just trying to make money off Robert Ludlum.

Ludlum died years ago and all the new stories are made up by other people.

by Anonymousreply 708/15/2012

lol @ coming out party. I love when the media puts in blatant innuendo for those in the know.

by Anonymousreply 808/15/2012

I love the Bourne Trilogy movies and have seen them all several times. I will be going to the cinema to see this before the week is out.

Disappointed that Matt Damon is not continuing as Bourne. He did just a fantastic job. To the poster that said that Damon did not play the part like a typical action hero - I agree and that was what was so great about it. Damon seemed to understand that the movies were about character and plot and not just action.

Hope I will not be disappointed. Renner was good in the Hurt Locker but didn't think a lot of him in Marvel the Avengers

by Anonymousreply 908/15/2012

R9, why do you want to support someone who seems to think being gay is a bad thing?

by Anonymousreply 1008/15/2012

@ R10 I'm a big fan of the previous movies and want to go see the latest one.

by Anonymousreply 1108/15/2012

R10 He should come out but why shouldn't I support his career?

by Anonymousreply 1208/15/2012

I have no problem with ppl being in the closet for the sake of their career. To be honest I am not a big campaigner of gay rights. I myself and in at work. I don't think that the fact that I am a lesbian has anything to do with my ability to do my job. It is non of my colleagues or boss business.

Also I don't have high hope for the Latest Bourne movie it should have been Damon or ended the franchise.

by Anonymousreply 1308/15/2012

I think the reason some of us are annoyed is not just that he's in the closet like other actors, but that he got really angry in that interview last year when anyone dared asked him if he was gay.

by Anonymousreply 1408/15/2012

I find it funny that he's a 40 something old year guy who took his mother as his plus one to the Oscars and now here he is playing an action hero.

An action hero played by a mummy's boy lol.

by Anonymousreply 1508/15/2012

Won't bother seeing it.

I go to the movies to see people better looking than I, not homely.

by Anonymousreply 1608/15/2012

To me he looks like a shorter, dark haired Eminem. So yeah, gay.

by Anonymousreply 1708/15/2012

I don't see Renner as a leading man.

by Anonymousreply 1808/15/2012

Well he can act so that must count for something. In The Hurt Locker he reminded me of Sean Penn who isn't exactly Adonis material either but it hardly matters.

I love when character actors cross over to get leading parts, Philip Seymour Hoffman being an even more extreme example. There should be room for different relatable actors who aren't just eye candy.

by Anonymousreply 1908/15/2012

The movie was horrendous. During one endless conversation about science the guy in front of me actually fell asleep. There are so many things wrong with it it is hard to start. Here's one: plot

by Anonymousreply 2008/15/2012

Considering how much movie prices have gone up in 5 years, the 41 million dollar opening compared to the 69 million dollar opening is a lot less. The Bourne Ultimatum did a good job wrapping up the story, I can see why Damon was reluctant to continue the franchise.

Also, the original trilogy tried to be somewhat more realistic, less special effects with the action sequences (there was one scene at the end of identity that went against this). From the trailer, the new movie seemed to be straying away from this.

by Anonymousreply 2108/15/2012

[quote]Princess Geranium!

Thank you, R6! I knew it involved princesses and flowers!

by Anonymousreply 2208/15/2012

There was no need for a new Bourne series.

But then there wasn't a need for a new Batman or Spiderman either.

They just keep doing the same things over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 2308/15/2012

I get your point and even agree.

by Anonymousreply 2408/15/2012

HE'S not #1, the movie is. People don't go to movies anymore based upon who's starring in them. There are no real movie stars anymore, OP. Haven't you figured that out yet?

by Anonymousreply 2508/15/2012

I found him strangely attractive when he was first making a splash on the movie world a few years ago.

He lost most of his attractiveness for me last year when he said the gay rumors made him want to throw up.

But even in the off chance that he's straight, he didn't need to insult his gay fans with that remark. There are ways of denying you're gay without offending everyone who is gay.

He looks as gay as a $3 bill and has had a male roommate for years, Kristopher, who he calls his "brother" instead of his "lover."

by Anonymousreply 2608/15/2012

Yep r14, there's a great George Clooney quote about how he won't go out of his way to deny the rumors because he's not going to be forced into acting like it's a bad thing to be gay. He said 50 yrs from now people will still be saying was gay and he doesn't care. I also remember Janeane Garofalo saying she takes people mistaking her for a lesbian as a compliment. It's homophobic to act like it's an insult, I have no sympathy for that.

by Anonymousreply 2708/15/2012

Renner is a character actor who can play leads, so for H'wood, he's suddenly become golden. I loved his character in The Town. There was something James Cagney-ish or John Garfield-ish about him. He doesn't need to be attractive.

He does need to avoid the Marvel Comics/ Avenger crap and go for the substantive roles. Hurt Locker, The Town, now Bourne. He's been knocking around for a long time. It was his turn. He's in his 40's right?

I don't care about his sexuality,that's something he has to live with and deal with, but I do care that he got so outraged and pissed off about being called gay.

That was low and ugly. His explanation about the bar fight in Thailand was stupid, dishonest and very transparent. He should shut up and make movies.

by Anonymousreply 2808/15/2012

Ugly, stupid, homophobic, next.

by Anonymousreply 2908/15/2012

I liked it *slightly* more than r20 but agree it wasn't a promising continuation of the Damon films. Half an hour into it I kept wondering if ANYTHING was ever going to happen. The idea of there being multiple "Bourne" agents was actually good but instead of exploring a world full of rogue operatives the government ends the program and kills off everyone but Renner. They could have had an endless series featuring different operatives but they threw that away. And I didn't take to Renner at all. He's so ugly and devoid of charisma I don't know why anyone would want him to be gay.

by Anonymousreply 3009/03/2012

Thanks for spoiling it, R30.

by Anonymousreply 3109/03/2012

How much pussy do you think heterosexual actor Jeremy Renner gets?

by Anonymousreply 3209/03/2012

I'm glad Renner is not doing as well as Matt Damon.

by Anonymousreply 3309/03/2012

lol Why does the media not allow him to be closeted? Is he just too obvious or are they pissed about his angry denial too? Between that Blind Item accidentally using his real name, the last article posted here that went into detail about his good friend Krisstopher tending to his puppy for no apparent reason and this "coming out party". He must have gone wrong somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 3409/05/2012

[quote]Why does the media not allow him to be closeted?

Why does the media allow, and in fact actively help, anyone to be closeted?

by Anonymousreply 3509/05/2012

Because midwestern hausfraus wouldn't go see his movies if he was gay. But are hausfraus even interested in him in the first place?

by Anonymousreply 3609/05/2012

This misogyny is so pointless regarding this topic. It's clearly the male audience who is the bigger problem when it comes to acceptance of gay actors, especially the male action fans, whom Jeremy hopes to appeal to.

by Anonymousreply 3709/05/2012

Does anyone have the actual link to the interview in which Jeremy became angry about the gay thing? It seems like nobody has it and this is just another urban legend. Jeremy deserves better than that.

by Anonymousreply 3809/05/2012

Fellow Dataloungers, relax. Movies are just pretend games. Meryl Streep is not Margaret Thatcher, however effectively she played her, and neither is Jeremy Lee Renner the macho superhero he appeared as, in The Bourne Legacy. He never claims to be. And we all know who he really is, so let's leave him be, and let him continue making a living by pretending to be what he's not. On another note, he'll be in an upcoming fairy tale movie, Hansel n Gretel. I think he'll be playing Gretel.

by Anonymousreply 3911/12/2012

Can somebody please change the topic? "Jeremy Renner" is beginning to read like "Kim Kardashian." Let's stop making him more important than he is.

by Anonymousreply 4011/12/2012

He is seriously one of the most beautiful men I have ever seen. I loved Bourne Legacy, and think he is much better than Matt Damon. Talented, gorgeous, and maybe gay. So what? Leave the poor guy alone.

by Anonymousreply 4101/12/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!