Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Unsolved Mysteries: Venice Beach edition

A strange story of a young man beaten to sand, his mouth and nose stuffed with sand, then buried in a shallow sand mound on Venice Beach in 2008. So far as I can tell, no resolution in the case.

[quote]Nathan Alan Morgan, a 25-year-old white man, was found beaten to death and buried under a mound of sand shortly before 8 a.m. on March 10, 2008. Morgan’s battered body was discovered by a Parks and Recreation employee in an area of Venice Beach known as the drum circle. Paramedics called to the scene pronounced him dead.

[quote]More than a year after his killing, the circumstances surrounding his death remain hazy.

[quote]Morgan's body was discovered just hours after he had been treated in Centinela Freeman Regional Medical Center's emergency room for an injury to his left elbow. Coroner’s records show that he told hospital officials he had hurt himself while “doing gymnastics drunk.”

[quote]After he was killed, his parents learned that Morgan had stopped in Las Vegas to pick up Robert Northington, a friend from Toledo, Ohio...Morgan and Northington shared a hotel room for at least several days before Morgan's body was found in the sand, they said. In June [2008], Northington was struck and killed by a train in Toledo in what local law enforcement officials described as a suicide. [Richard Morgan said he had been told that Northington had been battling cancer at the time of his death.]

by Anonymousreply 611/13/2012

by Anonymousreply 108/12/2012

Lots of unsolved murders in LA. A friend of mine was murdered in West Hollywood in the early '90s. No suspects.. No arrests...

I lived in Venice. That beach is a dangerous place after dark. Nobody can hear you scream.

by Anonymousreply 208/12/2012

I came away wondering if the police spent more than about an hour on this case. It doesn't seem so.

The one time I went to Venice Beach, it just seemed so very desperate and strung out, in every sense. Now and again when some artist or architect prattles on about what a rich and vibrant community the town is, I think they're fucking nuts. It's an ugly town girdled by a swath of beach crawling with freaks, more than a few of them seemingly at rope's end.

by Anonymousreply 308/13/2012

Any update?

by Anonymousreply 411/12/2012

No update that I could find.

I stumbled upon the story looking for something else entirely and it just seemed all kinds of gruesome:

the state of the victim's body;

the greasy circle of vagrants and lowlifes at Venice Beach;

the photos found in the victim's disposable camera;

the odd reactions of the victim's parents, seemingly more worried that a newspaper reported their son as "homeless" or jobless than they were about trying to find out what happened to him;

the odd subsequent death of the victim's friend and his confusing role in the story;

the seemingly cavalier reactions of police, media, residents, acquaintances;

the randomness of various website comments related to the case;

and the unlikelihood of any further investigation.

by Anonymousreply 511/13/2012

r2 tell us more about your friend's murder in West Hollywood.

And, I live in LA. It does seem like there are a lot of weird and unsolved murders here. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that a lot of loners end up here - people trying to escape their previous lives and in doing so ending up with unsavory characters with little clues to the pasts left behind.

by Anonymousreply 611/13/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!