Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Does Anybody Know When The Next Round of iMac Refreshes Are Going To Take Place

In the market for a new desktop. I'm ponding one now, but if they're going to release an update around the same time as the iPad 5 and the iPad Mini, I'll just skip it.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2111/17/2012

There'll probably be new iMacs introduced next June - is that too soon? They didn't do much for the new MacBooks that debuted earlier this summer aside from the addition of the fancy-schmancy Retina screen on the highest-end MacBook Pro. Everything else just got incremental processor upgrades, for the most part, as well as some design improvements to go along with OS X Mountain Lion.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 108/11/2012

The next iPad will be the fourth, not fifth, and there is no "iPad Mini" that's been confirmed.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 208/11/2012

Gee, if only there was a website where such a question could be answered.

VOTN can be such a goddamn idiot sometimes.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 308/11/2012

Sorry, meant "iPhone 5."

And MacRumors has been pretty insistant about the iPad Mini to compete with the Nexus Seven and the Kindle Fire.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 408/11/2012

They are overdue. Probably waiting until they have the capacity to introduce a retina display.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 508/11/2012

MacRumors doesn't give any real dates about the iMacs, at least not that I could see.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 608/11/2012

Here, grandpa.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 708/11/2012

Thanks. I didn't realize that that was, and I was only looking a the blog.

Would they announce new iMacs at the September 12 event? I thought that was usually reserved for iPods and iPhones.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 808/12/2012

Dearest VOTN, Sweetie, Darling, Goober,

It is with great trepidation that I make a suggestion to you regarding Mac.

Be a sheep for once. Visit the refurbished page of Apple and buy one of the iMacs that come with the fastest processor. They come with a good warranty.

Think of it as adopting a rescue pet from the kill shelter - one that won't shit on your floor or drink out of your toilet. You're preventing e-waste and giving Uncle Steve's irradiated e-sperm a loving home.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 908/12/2012

That's not a bad idea, but they've only got 27" models available currently, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the suggestion.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1008/12/2012

Goober?

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1108/12/2012

I've been called worse.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1208/12/2012

Well, I think you're a jackass, VOTN. Never liked you.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1308/12/2012

Hey, cousin at r13, STFU. I like VOTN and look forward to his posts...

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1408/12/2012

FU 2, R14

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1508/12/2012

Why bother?

Apple...(shudder).

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1608/12/2012

MacRumors.com is frequently full of shit, as are all the "Apple leak" sites. Only in the week or so leading up to a product launch do they start to get legitimate info. FYI, the "iPad Mini" rumors have been around for nearly two years now, ever since Amazon announced the Fire.

As for slightly used iMacs, I happen to be typing this on a 2008 model that now runs even more slowly that my last Vista-equipped PC, and I only have iTunes and two Web browsers open. It has a comparatively ancient Snow Leopard OS since for some reason this particular computer cannot be upgraded to Lion or anything newer. It took a full two minutes after hitting "refresh" on my browser for DL's current home page to come up. (To be fair, I have it set to show all 600 threads on one page.) Anyway, if you do go that route, get one with as much RAM as possible; 4GB doesn't really cut it these days even on MacBook Airs.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1708/13/2012

[quote]As for slightly used iMacs, I happen to be typing this on a 2008 model

Your graphics card has a known defect. Look that shit up, R17.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1808/13/2012

[quote]With less than a month away until the presumed announcement of Apple’s newest tablet — dubbed the iPad Mini — it may be time for manufacturers of smaller tablets to start getting nervous.

{quote]Apple is heavily rumored to announce a smaller version of its popular tablet on September 12 and release it nine days later on Sept. 21. The iPad Mini would have a 7.85-inch non-Retina display and be aggressively priced between $200 and $250. The cost may go as high as $300 depending on storage in the device.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 1908/13/2012

[quote]MacRumors.com is frequently full of shit, as are all the "Apple leak" sites. Only in the week or so leading up to a product launch do they start to get legitimate info. FYI, the "iPad Mini" rumors have been around for nearly two years now, ever since Amazon announced the Fire.

Well, they had rumors about the iPad long before it was announced, so they were true eventually.

Although in some of the testimony in the Apple/Samsung copyright infringement case, one of the Apple designers testified that that Steve Jobs even eventually decided that a 7" iPad would be a good idea.

Which squares with my prediction that after he came out screaming about how no one wanted a 7" tablet because it was too small, as soon as Apple came up with one, it would be the perfect size.

Anyway, as to buying refurbished, I can get a 21" one with twice the RAM as the 27" refurb for about the same amount of money with education pricing, and the processor is the same.

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2008/13/2012

I've been waiting for the new iMac for a really long time. I got semi-screwed when I bought my last one (G5 PowerPC) and immediately Apple went to Intel chips. Computer has been great but after about 2 years software upgrades started to lack compatibility. I am pretty much at the very end of being able to hold on and need a new computer (7 years later) but there's a rumored delay on the recently announced iMacs and a new chip change ahead too after that. What to do? What would be your next choice after an iMac? I love the screen as I also use it instead of having a TV (Hulu, Netflix, etc.) Not even my iPhone has ever been compatible with my iMac. I realize this qualifies as a "first world problem."

by The Voice of the Nightreply 2111/17/2012
Need more help? Click Here.