Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

US cop felt life in danger in Canada when stranger came up saying 'been to the Stampede yet' Wished he had a gun for protection!

He wrote a letter to Canadian paper expressing his outrage!

I recently visited Calgary from Michigan. As a police officer for 20 years, it feels strange not to carry my off-duty hand-gun. Many would say I have no need to carry one in Canada.

Yet the police cannot protect everyone all the time. A man should be al-lowed to protect himself if the need arises. The need arose in a theatre in Aurora, Colo., as well as a college campus in Canada.

Recently, while out for a walk in Nose Hill Park, in broad daylight on a paved trail, two young men approached my wife and me. The men stepped in front of us, then said in a very aggressive tone: "Been to the Stampede yet?"

We ignored them. The two moved closer, repeating: "Hey, you been to the Stampede yet?"

I quickly moved between these two and my wife, replying, "Gentle-men, I have no need to talk with you, goodbye." They looked bewildered, and we then walked past them.

I speculate they did not have good intentions when they approached in such an aggressive, disrespectful and menacing manner. I thank the Lord Jesus Christ they did not pull a weapon of some sort, but rather concluded it was in their best interest to leave us alone.

Would we not expect a uniformed officer to pull his or her weapon to intercede in a life-or-death encounter to protect self, or another? Why then should the expectation be lower for a citizen of Canada or a visitor? Wait, I know - it's because in Canada, only the criminals and the police carry handguns.

Walt Wawra, Kalamazoo, Mich.

by Anonymousreply 7803/30/2013

lol. only in america. it's like afghanistan - just with better clothes, smartpgones and teeth whitener.

by Anonymousreply 108/11/2012

So this guy thinks the situation would have been bettered by him pulling a gun? What a joke.

by Anonymousreply 208/11/2012

It has been revealed that the two strangers in question were giving out free tickets to the Calgary Stampede.

Hence 'been to the Stampede yet?'

by Anonymousreply 308/11/2012

The American way: Shoot first, ask questions later.

by Anonymousreply 408/11/2012

Jesus, this country has gone crazy. I hope the world does end on December 21st.

by Anonymousreply 508/11/2012

Some would think that an American who spends a couple of days without a gun in Canada and he doesn't get raped, robbed, or beheaded would get the hint, but no.

by Anonymousreply 608/11/2012

Americans have passed the point of no return.

by Anonymousreply 708/11/2012

What a fucking retard. And they give assholes like this a license to shoot.

by Anonymousreply 808/11/2012

I LOVED this comment --

"Violent crime rates in 2010 (per 100,000)

Michigan: 490.3

Alberta: 41.7"

by Anonymousreply 908/11/2012

lol r9 that's actually great considering Edmonton Alberta is Canada's murder capital.

by Anonymousreply 1008/11/2012

I'm confused. Is "been to the stampede yet" Canadian code for, "We're going to rape your wife while you watch and then kill you both?"

by Anonymousreply 1108/11/2012

It's a big Calgary redneck event. Like some stupid annual rodeo thing.

by Anonymousreply 1208/11/2012

Tea party member right? Even most Americans know what the stampede is.

[quote]I thank the Lord Jesus Christ they did not pull a weapon of some sort, but rather concluded it was in their best interest to leave us alone.

Tells me everything. I'm glad he's a cop in Michigan and not here.

by Anonymousreply 1308/11/2012

what a maroon.

by Anonymousreply 1408/11/2012

I hate all gun lovers and I wish they were dead.

by Anonymousreply 1508/11/2012

Me too, R15.

by Anonymousreply 1608/11/2012

CBC-Calgary just had the 2 "gangsters" on.

2 skinny college students, both male, one in glasses, best described as "small town nerd & his slightly effeminate sidekick".

They helpfully brought with them the Stampede volunteer vests they were wearing, and are still curious as to his issue since they were clearly holding free Stampede tix and maps in outstretched hands for them to take.

We really need to re-think letting Americans cross the border. I have no issue with having no contact with the States until they get help for their problems.

by Anonymousreply 1708/11/2012

R17 this is one of those idiot Americans that embarrass even other Americans. All he had to do was say "what". I'd like to know how they were acting to be called threatening.

by Anonymousreply 1808/11/2012

I feel that way about Albertans

by Anonymousreply 1908/11/2012

Well, of course it is our right in America to shoot people who wish to give us free tickets to things.

by Anonymousreply 2008/11/2012

[quote]only in america. it's like afghanistan - just with better clothes....

Really?? I'll take flowing robes over mom jeans and an appliqued sweatshirt any day.

by Anonymousreply 2108/11/2012

Canada should protect itself and just close its border to Americans.

by Anonymousreply 2208/11/2012

R21, it's more likely the cop who is the subject of this thread was wearing long plaid shorts, calf-high black (maybe white) socks, and black loafers.

by Anonymousreply 2308/11/2012

Americans have been living in fear and violence for so long that tey don't know what it's like to live any other way.

by Anonymousreply 2408/11/2012

r24, isn't part of living with a legitimate chance of violence intelligent threat assessment?

I actually thought some punks might have been scouting the family.

I couldn't believe the posters describing who they actually were. Of course, the most disturbing part is the guy is in law enforcement. Anywhere. Even a mall cop ought to have better sense than that.

by Anonymousreply 2508/11/2012

Nobody is better in being a drama queen than a gun loving conservative.

by Anonymousreply 2608/11/2012

R22:

Canadians are counting on your own Government to do this for us.

We are becoming concerned that your plans for making our shared border "air tight" may be losing support in the USA.

We all know that a more secure border has more to do with keeping you in than us out.

by Anonymousreply 2708/11/2012

That would be like if a Canadian was in America and you asked him if he had attended the rodeo. "Back away from me before I pull out a firearm!"

by Anonymousreply 2808/11/2012

Rcent figures indicate that more people are illegally crossing from the U.S. into Canada instead of vice-versa. If many of you recall, Canada was unfairly blamed for letting terrorists into the States circa 9/11. This accusation was later debunked as more Bush-era paranoia and sabre rattling.

Beacause of the accusation, Canadians are now required to have a passport to cross the U.S. border for the first time in history. I have always regarded Americans as neighbours and friends - what happened to our relationship?

by Anonymousreply 2908/11/2012

by Anonymousreply 3008/11/2012

by Anonymousreply 3108/11/2012

I've friends in Calgary and have visited that park. It's completely safe and those two guys who approached the Americans probably just wanted to chit-chat about Stampede. That's what Calgarians do. They're the friendliest of all Canadians.

by Anonymousreply 3208/11/2012

[quote]They helpfully brought with them the Stampede volunteer vests they were wearing, and are still curious as to his issue since they were clearly holding free Stampede tix and maps in outstretched hands for them to take.

LMAO. This is too fucking funny. I hadn't heard that they were Stampede volunteers. The volunteers are all over the city during Stampede and they are extremely welcoming and friendly people and they work very hard to make everyone feel welcome.

Those Americans were amazingly stupid, but I know you're not all like that, Americans, and hope you continue to come and visit Canada. Calgary is totally safe to visit. Ditto most of Canada. The only place where you should have any concerns is certain areas of Toronto and Vancouver, and that's pretty much it.

by Anonymousreply 3308/11/2012

Unfortunately, the bully/pussy personality type is present in every police force in America.

They're drawn to it like flies to shit.

by Anonymousreply 3408/11/2012

I'm sure this is a hoax on the part of the letter writer. It's too EST-like to be real.

by Anonymousreply 3508/11/2012

And of course every felony arrest he has ever made on his own should be investigated. He sounds insane

by Anonymousreply 3608/11/2012

R21, that's great because you are free to wear flowing robes any time you want. Why not start tomorrow?

by Anonymousreply 3708/11/2012

R21, I think you forgot to mention

Earrings.

by Anonymousreply 3808/11/2012

r32 - Did you read the thread? The 2 who approached were Stampede workers, dressed in volunteer vests, giving away tickets.

But yeah, this can't be real, can it?

by Anonymousreply 3908/11/2012

[quote]I'm sure this is a hoax on the part of the letter writer. It's too EST-like to be real.

R35, that's what the newspapers in Canada thought, too, and they investigated it. Turned out the cop in Michigan is real and he did write the letter.

by Anonymousreply 4008/11/2012

[quote][R32] - Did you read the thread? The 2 who approached were Stampede workers, dressed in volunteer vests, giving away tickets.

Read the thread after posting at R32, then I posted again at R33.

by Anonymousreply 4108/11/2012

Kalamazoo Police Officer Walt Wawra has just issued this statement to clear up this misunderstanding on other people's part.

“I like truth — I don’t like conjecture,” said.

“If I bear some kind of responsibility for any kind of misinformation or misunderstanding, that is something I would like to clear up.”

"What prompted me to write the letter is that I think every man should be able to protect his wife and his family, up to and including deadly force if it's necessary at the time,"

"My training tells me that people that are out to do good things normally don't approach you in such an aggressive manner or stop you like that, and usually refer to you respectfully."

by Anonymousreply 4208/11/2012

[quote] normally don't approach you in such an aggressive manner or stop you like that, and usually refer to you respectfully.

I guess he doesn't shop for his clothes.

by Anonymousreply 4308/11/2012

Dear Walt, you still sound like a suspicious, paranoid tinhat.

[quote]I think every man should be able to protect his wife and his family

Macho shithead too.

by Anonymousreply 4408/11/2012

Aggressive manner? Fuck that. Those volunteers weren't the least bit aggressive. If they were in any way aggressive, they'd never have been hired by Stampede. He's just a paranoid asshole.

by Anonymousreply 4508/11/2012

I guess it's impossible to shame someone that stupid.

by Anonymousreply 4608/11/2012

Do gangsters in Kalamazoo wear matching smocks when they are doing their evil deeds?

by Anonymousreply 4708/11/2012

"Been to the Stampede yet?" is this generations' "What's the frequency Kenneth?"

by Anonymousreply 4808/11/2012

This asshole deserves to be mocked and ridiculed for the rest of his life, incessantly. Forever.

What a fucking coward.

What a fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 4908/11/2012

I really wish a moose would just step on the guys head.

by Anonymousreply 5008/11/2012

It's a little sad and pathetic that he doesn't think he can walk around a city without the need to be armed. Is that the 'American way'?

by Anonymousreply 5108/11/2012

It's sad and pathetic that he feels he should have the right to travel to other countries and shoot their citizens when they approach him.

by Anonymousreply 5208/11/2012

Interesting that almost no American news outlets have picked this up. To beholden to the gun industry, no doubt.

by Anonymousreply 5308/11/2012

He's a evangelical nut-job, who is probably a Tea Party candidate. On Obama:

"It is my desire to give you an example of the poor judgment our President has used so you may judge his actions for yourself. If we truly love and honor our President, we will tell him respectfully that his actions were disgraceful, brought shame upon the government and dishonored citizens of the United States of America and the sacrifices our police officers make for us on a daily basis.

As Christians, we are called to pray for those in authority over us. I ask you to exercise this command of our Lord Jesus Christ, to give our President wisdom, knowledge and the conviction to live a life of righteousness."

I'm surprised he visited a country that has gay marriage, and our Lord Jesus Christ as interpreted by Walt baby would not approve.

by Anonymousreply 5408/11/2012

I've always wanted to know what these tea-baggers think Obama has done that has been so shameful. Or what those horrible lies he's told were. They never actually specify. They never go into detail. They never give reasons.

by Anonymousreply 5508/11/2012

[quote] I've always wanted to know what these tea-baggers think Obama has done that has been so shameful.

He had the unmitigated gall to become president whilst being black. The nerve of him.

by Anonymousreply 5608/12/2012

Kalamazoo needs to get this guy off the police force now. He's absolutely INSANE...

by Anonymousreply 5708/12/2012

I thought the "Stampede" was a gay bar in Calgary when I first read this.

by Anonymousreply 5808/12/2012

Meanwhile, Wawra appears to be in hiding, refusing all interview requests. But the assistant chief of Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety, Brian Uridge, did release a statement in support of Wawra.

"We have reviewed the article," Uridge told the Gazette. "Officer Wawra was simply exercising his right to free speech as a private citizen using social media."

by Anonymousreply 5908/12/2012

Well, at least he didn't yank out anyone's bloody tampon.

by Anonymousreply 6008/12/2012

We narrowly avoided an assassination attempt! Two maniacs raped my wife right there in the park!

Am I living in hell? Is that it? Have I gone [italic]straight to hell??[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 6108/12/2012

I'm trying to skim the comments in this hometown article to see if there are any stories of run ins with crazy Uncle Walt, but the damn thing won't scroll properly.

by Anonymousreply 6208/12/2012

The cop's supporters sound as mad as he is! “I guess it is better to be a living, beaten-down, subservient liberal with no dignity than it is to stand up against the thugs and protect yourselves and family. So keep on smiling and trusting strangers at close encounters. I am sure that in another decade or so, your whole country will be violence-free and full of rainbows and unicorn milk.”

by Anonymousreply 6308/12/2012

His reasons for having wanted a gun are exactly why shouldnt have one. He probably would have shot those two nerdy kids for "threatening" him with a flyer and an over enthusiastic attitude. He sounds like a demented fool who shouldn't be left unsupervised around plastic cutlery, let alone given a gun to carry around.

by Anonymousreply 6408/12/2012

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

It's a good thing Alberta, though it's our most conservative province, isn't Florida. This lunatic might've pulled a Zimmerman and legally shot the two "thugs" since he believed they were a threat to his and his wife's safety.

by Anonymousreply 6508/12/2012

Would the 'Stand Your Ground' rule apply if this happened in Florida?

by Anonymousreply 6608/12/2012

What is really scary is this guy is going to go back and work as a Cop.

The Police in America are often just as dangerous as the criminals.

by Anonymousreply 6708/12/2012

He sounds like a cranky old man with significant dementia.

They should test him for Alzheimer's and other mental defects.

by Anonymousreply 6808/13/2012

People with his obvious paranoia should not be allowed to own guns

by Anonymousreply 6908/13/2012

People like this guy should not be Cops.

by Anonymousreply 7008/13/2012

But they're the guys who want to become cops, and do.

by Anonymousreply 7108/13/2012

Turns out this was actually written as anti-gun propaganda, quite effective too. As inept as this character is made to seem, Calgary police officers are just as ignorant (though they may understand what stampede is) the cowards here would be just as quick to draw a weapon.

by Anonymousreply 7201/08/2013

bump for more discussion!

by Anonymousreply 7303/30/2013

Kalamazoo is actually one of the five most liberal cities in Michigan.

by Anonymousreply 7403/30/2013

UGH, this is why I hate all gun-nuts.

by Anonymousreply 7503/30/2013

The guy sounds like a chicken shit pussy, which it turns out, is what all gun nuts come across as.

by Anonymousreply 7603/30/2013

He's too articulate for a cop.

by Anonymousreply 7703/30/2013

For the proper response, he need only have looked to the wisdom of our St. Joan: "This isn't my first rodeo, boys!"

by Anonymousreply 7803/30/2013
Need more help? Click Here.