Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

London Olympics 2012: Which Sport Do You Want To See Kicked Out?

And which sport would you like to add?

by Anonymousreply 9001/27/2013

All those stupid elitist european sports starting with the modern pentathalon. Oh, and ping pong.

by Anonymousreply 108/11/2012

Elitist European sports? Very R1 moronic.

Nude wrestling should be brought back :)

by Anonymousreply 208/11/2012

Beach volleyball. Boring beyond belief with the action stopping every 30 seconds.

by Anonymousreply 308/11/2012

Get rid of any 'sport' that has the word synchronized in it.

by Anonymousreply 408/11/2012

Why did they get rid of baseball? That's actually a summer sport.

by Anonymousreply 508/11/2012

Synchronized swimming should stay. It's incredibly athletic and takes an enormous strength and stamina.

They should add men's synchronized swimming.

by Anonymousreply 608/11/2012

R5. Most of the world doesn't play baseball and has no interest in it.

by Anonymousreply 708/11/2012

Hmm, after checking what modern pentathalon actually is I have to agree with R1. What an odd combination of events that have nothing to do with each other. Wiki says it's only popular in Eastern Europe.

by Anonymousreply 808/11/2012

I think what needs to be done first is kick out all the pros and have only amateurs like the olympics should be

by Anonymousreply 908/11/2012

Beach volleyball. It has allowed NBC to further destroy the primetime Olympic coverage as we knew it. Plus, it truly is just a game, not a sport. It's less deserving that than even lawn darts.

by Anonymousreply 1008/11/2012

Ballroom Dancing should be an Olympic sport!

by Anonymousreply 1108/11/2012

swimming relays need to go.

by Anonymousreply 1308/11/2012

Get rid of rhythmic gymnastics. Playing with cat toys should not be an Olympic sport.

Add rugby. Preferably with the players in speedos.

by Anonymousreply 1408/11/2012

I'm so sad the Olympics are almost over. I have to say that Romney can go fuck himself, because the Brits did a fantastic job. No glitches at all, minimal controversy, and a lot of fun!

I feel like the focus was totally on the athletes, and the Brits were great hosts.

Very good job, London. I'm a huge Brit critic, but these games were fantastic, and everyone is commenting how they just flew by, because there was so much to watch and enjoy.

Yay, London! Juan Antonio Samaranch would have declared them "the best games ever!"

by Anonymousreply 1508/11/2012

Modern pentathlon is a sports contest created especially for the Summer Olympic Games by the founder of the modern Games, Baron Pierre de Coubertin, and was first contested in 1912. Coubertin was inspired by the pentathlon event in Ancient Olympic Games, which was modeled after the skills of the ideal soldier at the time. The modern pentathlon simulates the experience of a 19th century cavalry soldier behind enemy lines: he/she must ride an unfamiliar horse, fight with pistol and sword, swim, and run. Therefore, the modern pentathlon event comprises the five sport disciplines:

épée fencing

pistol shooting

200 metre freestyle swimming

show jumping on horseback

3 km cross country running

by Anonymousreply 1608/11/2012

agree R12. it's not even popular in europe. i guess it's still there for nostalgic reasons

by Anonymousreply 1708/11/2012

Tug of War needs to be added, as well as arm wrestling and bowling.

by Anonymousreply 1808/11/2012

They need beach volleyball so that the heterosexual men have something to watch before the track coverage starts. Swimming is too gay, but the girls in bikinis draw viewers.

by Anonymousreply 1908/11/2012

Men's bodybuilding- you don't have to bother with drug testing- you already know the results. Agree about nude wrestling.

by Anonymousreply 2008/11/2012

Bring back softball and baseball.

Synchronized swimming, badminton, and ping pong need to go.

by Anonymousreply 2108/11/2012

They should have an old-fashioned Olympics, recreating Ancient Greece.

by Anonymousreply 2208/11/2012

Baseball went because of the logistics of it--very few host cities have the facilities to support it. This is as opposed to soccer fields, which are fricking everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 2308/11/2012

Remove [bold]anything[/bold] judged. Gymnastics? Gone. Synchronized basket weaving? Gone. Diving? Gone. Rhythmic frog hopping? Gone. None of these is a sport. They are juried competitions.

And don't fret, r14. Rugby 7s is coming (back) to the Olympics at Rio. Fifteen-a-side rugby is not a summer sport, but could be added to the winter games.

by Anonymousreply 2408/11/2012

Dump basketball and beach vollyball. Add jousting.

by Anonymousreply 2508/11/2012

[quote]Get rid of rhythmic gymnastics. Playing with cat toys should not be an Olympic sport.

LOL!

by Anonymousreply 2608/11/2012

R24, I'd also add trampoline to your list for deletion.

Boxing has lost its appeal to most western youth. Future Olympics should consider adding mixed martial arts and sasuke style competitions to remain relevant to modern youth culture.

by Anonymousreply 2708/11/2012

Gymnastics and diving are two of the most watched sports in the Summer Games. The IOC will never get rid of those viewer draws. I'm a big fan of both myself, so I'm happy with that.

They should remove beach volleyball. I can watch any Olympic sport but that... It's truly dull.

by Anonymousreply 2808/11/2012

Baseball and softball were axed, despite have huge followings in the US, Caribbean, and east Asia, because the US was always winning.

Race walking. It's bad for the body.

In terms of numbers who compete, rowing has to be among the least competitive. Sailing too, although it seems like both sports could be made more competitive by making the equipment less expensive.

by Anonymousreply 2908/11/2012

Whitewater. You say we can't have baseball because a field is too expensive, but we must have whitewater courses, which are much more expensive to build? What bullshit!

by Anonymousreply 3108/11/2012

That's interesting, R29. With that same logic, why haven't they gotten rid of rhythmic gymnastics? I can't remember the last time a non-Eastern European won the gold medal.

by Anonymousreply 3208/11/2012

Surprisingy (to me), cricket is one of the world's five most popular sports in terms of participation, played quite widely in a hundred countries. You couldn't have the test-match style game, of course, but it would be perfectly practicable to have one of the short versions as an Olympic sport.

Losing the ridiculous walking events would be fine by me.

by Anonymousreply 3308/11/2012

Rhytmic gymnastics.. stupid, useless and boring. Just get rid of it already.

by Anonymousreply 3408/11/2012

R29, what are you talking about? sailing and rowing are both hugely popular all over Europe and North America. Those should stay imo.

by Anonymousreply 3508/11/2012

Rhythmic gymnastics and anything synchronized = Cirque du Soleil auditions.

by Anonymousreply 3608/11/2012

Add bowling!

by Anonymousreply 3708/11/2012

Kiteboarding, paddleboarding, and surfing!

by Anonymousreply 3808/11/2012

Get rid of BMX too.

by Anonymousreply 3908/11/2012

Trampoline!!!

by Anonymousreply 4008/11/2012

I would get rid of all the volleyball, basketball, tennis, BMX, anything involving a horse or a boat and golf, which they are adding for Rio.

I would greatly reduce the number of swimming, diving and sprinting events. It's the same fucking thing over and over again at slightly different lengths or heights.

I, actually, think Tug of War would be really fun to watch

by Anonymousreply 4108/11/2012

Color guard should be added.

by Anonymousreply 4208/11/2012

I would like to see them add team jump roping and four square - some of the playground classics.

by Anonymousreply 4308/11/2012

Dodgeball must be added as it could be hugely entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 4408/11/2012

Get rid of Trampoline add dodgeball.

by Anonymousreply 4508/11/2012

I wanna see Follow The Leader and Duck Duck Goose.

by Anonymousreply 4608/11/2012

Any sport that allows professional players.

by Anonymousreply 4708/11/2012

Any sport without profesional athletes.

by Anonymousreply 4808/11/2012

R42, that thing is a mess. It encompasses everything from dirty dancing to baton twirling.

by Anonymousreply 4908/11/2012

I would eliminate 2/3 of the swimming categories first.

by Anonymousreply 5008/11/2012

Out:

Rhythmic gymnastics, synchronized swimming - really, it should be all judged sports, but I'll save diving and gymnastics.

Tennis - no sport should be in the Olympics for which the Olympics isn't the supreme achievement in that sport. The four major tennis tournaments (Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon, U.S. Open) are still much more prized than the Olympics. Don't get me wrong, it's a great achievement, but still, it's not the pinnacle of the sport.

Golf - making a return in Rio. Same reasons as tennis.

Beach Volleyball - regular volleyball is enough.

by Anonymousreply 5108/11/2012

Add men's synchronized swimming.

by Anonymousreply 5208/11/2012

Do we really need to see LeBron James and company winning every fucking basketball game? Lose the NBA players.

by Anonymousreply 5308/11/2012

I love swimming, but come on, there are far too many varying races of basically the same thing over and over. No wonder a handful of the same people have a drawer full of medals, e.g., Michael Phelps.

by Anonymousreply 5408/11/2012

Another vote to dump beach volleyball. I don't understand its spectator appeal. Watching wet paint dry is about as exciting.

by Anonymousreply 5508/11/2012

International rules Simon Says.

by Anonymousreply 5608/11/2012

I'm sure that the original Olympics didn't include the coloreds. I would eliminate any event in which they excel. it will work out well for the movement.

by Anonymousreply 5708/11/2012

I would add Chutes and Ladders, Tournament Edition.

by Anonymousreply 5808/11/2012

The weight classes for wrestling and boxing should be reduced to two. Heavyweight, which would be much higher than the current limit; and lightweight.

by Anonymousreply 5908/12/2012

The should do the original pentathlon: foot race, long jump, wrestling, javelin, discus.

If you can win at all those you're a pretty damn good athlete.

by Anonymousreply 6008/12/2012

Lose rhythmic gymnastics. The Soviet Union demanded it be added when they did the Games we boycotted so they could rack up big medal totals. It's not even a friggin' sport. I kept waiting for them to bring out the plate spinners.

Add individual synchronized swimming.

by Anonymousreply 6108/12/2012

Table tennis

by Anonymousreply 6208/12/2012

If I had to pick one - race walking.

The others I'd like to chop:

Rhythmic gymnastics - too artistic

Synchro swimming - anything that requires a costume should not be in the Olympics as should anything that only one gender participates in

Archery & shooting

A couple of the throwing events - There are 4 of these!! Keep javelin & discus and drop hammer throw & shot put

Badminton, tennis, table tennis & handball

Judo & taekwando

And it sucks that golf is coming in.

by Anonymousreply 6308/12/2012

They can't afford BASEBALL but they can afford GOLF? More outrageousness.

by Anonymousreply 6408/12/2012

[quote] anything that requires a costume should not be in the Olympics

Well, there goes figure skating.

by Anonymousreply 6508/12/2012

r65 - Well, would have to find a way around that. But shhhhhh! You'll summon the Skate Canada troll.

by Anonymousreply 6608/12/2012

Golf is a world game; baseball is not (the World Series does not make baseball an international event). Outside of the US and Canada, the only countries any good at baseball are Cuba and Japan. Although basketball is also a world game, it's a terrible competition because the winner will always be the US; it's worthless as an Olympics event. Tennis is useless because the Olympics is not what tennis players aspire to; that's for grand slams.

Any sport where only a few countries have a proficiency should be removed: handball, equestrian (where you've basically got to be a millionaire to compete), modern pentathlon, pin-pong (seriously, when did this become a 'sport'?) and shuttle-cock should all go. Beach volleyball should only be competed where suitable to the host city - it was a farce in London but will be great in Rio.

by Anonymousreply 6708/12/2012

Golf is rather elitist too, if that's a criterion. And if you look at the top 50 ranked male golfers, there is *not* a world spread there. Nearly half are American and easily 3/4 are from English-speaking nations, including the entire top 20. Plus golf has grand slams which players prioritize, the same as tennis. And, like tennis & basketball - wealthy professional players are a turn-off in the Olympics. (Except in hockey, because I'm a hypocrite that way.)

I must be the only one who likes beach volleyball just fine.

by Anonymousreply 6808/12/2012

How the hell is Trampolining a sport? Nobody says, "Well I'm going out to trampoline for a while".

If they can add BMX and Snowboarding as sport, why not Surfing?

I also agree in keeping the pro athletes out.

But I think it would be fantastic to have an all-drug Olympics. Records would be broken, arteries burst and whatnot. EVERYONE would watch.

by Anonymousreply 6908/12/2012

Speed walking is not a legitimate sport. It's essentially light walking.

Bowling should be a sport.

by Anonymousreply 7008/12/2012

If they were to consider bowling, then they may as well add in fly-casting.

by Anonymousreply 7108/12/2012

[quote]Outside of the US and Canada, the only countries any good at baseball are Cuba and Japan.

So why all the players from the Dominican Republic?

I don't think beach volleyball should be cut out, only the crazy never-ending coverage on NBC. Some bozo at the network decided we wanted to see swimming, track and field sprinting events, volleyball and a smattering of other events.

by Anonymousreply 7208/12/2012

Judo.

by Anonymousreply 7308/12/2012

[quote]Speed walking is not a legitimate sport. It's essentially light walking.

Well, then so is running. And so is sprinting. They're essentially just light walking, but faster.

by Anonymousreply 7408/12/2012

Watching the team Rhythmic Gymnastics finals, I've decided I want to see men compete in the exact same event. It would be the gayest thing EVER.

by Anonymousreply 7508/12/2012

The NBC commentator was so effusively hyping the rhythmic gymnastics event she sounded like one of the Shopping Network women selling cheap jewelry. I was surprised she didn't say "Viewers, you only have 17 more minutes to order the video!"

by Anonymousreply 7608/12/2012

[quote]Tennis - no sport should be in the Olympics for which the Olympics isn't the supreme achievement in that sport

Well, then you'd have to eliminate soccer (football), since everyone acknowledges the World Cup is bigger and more prestigious than the Olympics (especially for the men's side; and they have rules keeping the Olympic teams younger).

I agree with the poster above who suggested surfing should be added. And how about sail boarding, for that matter? Cliff diving! The Winter Games have added a lot of sports over the past 20 years.

There is a lot of hypocrisy about the fringe sports. Ice dancing and rhythmic gymnastics yes; ballroom dancing and cheerleading no. Curling yes; bowling and darts no. Badminton yes; racquetball no. And aren't rugby and cricket huge in Europe and Asia?

I'd eliminate all the sports that involve guns.

by Anonymousreply 7708/12/2012

Soccer is different in that (until recently) all the players had to be under 23. They've cheapened it now by allowing a couple of older players as well. But, I agree, it should be removed because Soccer has its world cup. At least the Rugby Sevens will use the Olympics as their new world cup event.

by Anonymousreply 7808/12/2012

Don't tell me this isn't athletic and artistic:

by Anonymousreply 7908/12/2012

Baseball has players and fans in more countries than most winter Olympic sports, not to mention events like whitewater kayaking, BMX, and events like arena cycling. What's the total number of people worldwide who watch weightlifting? It's probably not a hundred thousand, if you exclude those "World's Strongest Man" competitions. It is clear that the IOC makes its decisions based on what is hot in Europe with no regard for the rest of the world. Many sports which are hugely popular in the US will never be added, such as waterskiing, whereas sports Europeans go for, like kiteboarding, will be added eventually.

by Anonymousreply 8008/13/2012

That's hilarious, R79. He's twirling a baton shaped like a rifle. It would be more fun if the two ends were on fire.

by Anonymousreply 8108/13/2012

This is one they need. They don't have enough Polynesian representation. So they need to make Fireknife an Olympic event (see link)

by Anonymousreply 8208/13/2012

Would a paying member please post this thread.

Same sex olympic hook ups. Are they sport specific or cross sport.

Would it be gymnist on gymnist or maybe Russian weight lifter and Chinese gymnist?

Any ideas?

by Anonymousreply 8308/15/2012

R14 R32 R36 FYI - Rhythmic gymnastics is MUCH more popular in Europe than artistic gymnastics - which is called athletic gymnastics in Eastern Europe. Athletic/artistic gymnastics is considered a sport for little girls, while rhythmic is for women.

by Anonymousreply 8408/15/2012

Because sexist Europeans don't want to see girls do thinks like jump. It's just a relic of sexism, R84, nothing more.

by Anonymousreply 8508/15/2012

Get rid of rhythmic gymnastics. I was doing this freakin' sport when I lived in Russia (I'm a college student in Munchen now). What a waste of time. Totally corrupt, sexist and stupid. A crazy coach of mine used to yell at me and shout: "You're a pig!!!" She beat up other gymnasts, actually. How could they tolerate this kind of crazy behavior? And, you know, there were a lot of unfairness as well. Girls with more wealthier parents won all the championships...

I have an awful lot of gossip on Russian rhythmic gymnastics team. I know some of the poor girls, btw. They're all pretty miserable... Coaches are famous for beating underage girls on a daily basis. Lots of pervs also. They can't even eat after 5pm... The head coach is buying every single girl an apartment, because her husband is #1 in Russian Forbes List. She finds them filthy rich hubbies after their retiring.

Do you have any idea why Russia is so strong in rhythmic gymnastics? It's the most corrupt sport in the world. What's the point in watching it if you already know who will win. Glad I escaped mysogonistic and homophobic Russia.

by Anonymousreply 8601/25/2013

Shooting should have been the obvious choice, as it has nothing to do with muscular prowess, strength and control. Unless you're an NRA nut.

by Anonymousreply 8701/25/2013

Please add roller skating: men's singles, women's singles and pairs. Please, Mr. Button.

by Anonymousreply 8801/27/2013

hidden cameras in mens shower at the Russian Olympics will be added

by Anonymousreply 8901/27/2013

Delete any sport that requires clothing.

by Anonymousreply 9001/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.