Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

30 Year Old Paranormal State Star Ryan Buell Fighting Pancreatic Cancer

Ryan Buell, paranormal investigator and star of A&E's hit series Paranormal State, has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He is 30 years old.

Buell, who founded the Paranormal Research Society and wrote a memoir, Paranormal State: My Journey Into the Unknown, in 2010, has been speaking out about his battle on his Facebook page, and he wants to make something clear.

He's not the only one struggling with this terrible disease.

"You all also know that Ryan is the type of person that not only likes to keep things relatively private, but wants to make sure that others are taken care of first," wrote a member of the PRS Staff on Buell's official Facebook fan page. "Ryan has been honored and humbled by the support, but also wants to make sure that we all remember the struggle is not his alone."

"There are those who have struggled with this disease for years, those who are diagnosed every day and those within the support network surrounding them. Ryan knows he is loved and supported, and would want for that love and support to stretch beyond this community."

The post asks that Buell's fans support organizations that are working to find a cure and those that offer support to loved ones of those battling pancreatic cancer, citing the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network and its taking action initiative.

As for his own personal battle with the illness, Buell has displayed both optimism and honesty in his posts (as of Wednesday, he had nearly 82,000 likes on his public fan page).

He shared a superhero-esque photo of himself on the page (with the headline "Cancer: Even the Greatest of Heroes Have to Take the Fight Within … Soldier On!").

"I know there are many of you suffering from illnesses, and not just cancer. I say to all of you: SOLDIER ON!" Buell wrote with the photo. "I know the pain that you will feel. And the pain for treatment. I still say SOLDIER ON! Let's think of one another during those moments, even though we don't know each other."

Since news of his diagnosis broke in July, Buell has made good on those words, even attending a PRS reunion. "I won't lie, I have been in and out of the hospital all week, and sadly some of the PRS Retreat people didn't get to have as much time with me as I had hoped," he wrote on Facebook. "But to all those who went, you made it a magical event for me."

The PRS staff continues to update fans on Buell's condition on his Facebook page. "Last night at the hospital, Ryan underwent a medical procedure and it was successful," staff wrote on Tuesday. "He is currently back home resting. Please continue to keep him in your thoughts and prayers."

Pancreatic cancer is highly lethal and claims the lives of thousands every year – Steve Jobs (who had a rare form) and Patrick Swayze were two of the most public patients to battle the disease.

by Anonymousreply 4603/27/2013

That is tragic. This is one cancer that can't be contained. It's brutal, painful, and swift.

by Anonymousreply 108/09/2012

Is that the hot one, OP?

by Anonymousreply 208/09/2012

Damn, that's really young.

by Anonymousreply 308/09/2012

Pic of him here.

by Anonymousreply 408/09/2012

That's sad, he is only 30. I've enjoyed that show and hope he pulls through.

by Anonymousreply 508/09/2012

No, R2, that's Sergey.

by Anonymousreply 608/09/2012

It's way too young to get that disease. My Dad died of it recently, but he was in his 70's.

by Anonymousreply 708/09/2012

I was right all along.

by Anonymousreply 808/09/2012

Didn't he come out as bi?

by Anonymousreply 908/09/2012

Not cool, R5.

by Anonymousreply 1008/09/2012

That's really sad, poor guy.

Pancreatic cancer can be treated easily so long as it is caught very early on.

Unfortunately, it's hardly ever caught early and most people die with a couple of years after diagnosis.

by Anonymousreply 1108/09/2012

Bisexuality is Perfectly Normal for Ryan Buell of "Paranormal State"

Unless you’re a fan of the paranormal, the name Ryan Buell probably isn’t one familiar to most gay and bisexual men. But when the 29-year-old paranormal investigator and host of A&E’s Paranormal State revealed he was bisexual in his new memoir, his profile in the GLBT community increased dramatically.

Even in 2010, most bisexual men choose to be discreet about their sexuality for a variety of reasons. But when Buell realized that his prominence in the paranormal research field, not to mention the fact he is quite public about his religious beliefs, meant he might be able to open some eyes about the issue of bisexuality, he knew he had to speak up

by Anonymousreply 1208/09/2012

I'm the hot one.

by Anonymousreply 1308/09/2012

Anyone battling cancer might want to check out IP-6.

by Anonymousreply 1408/10/2012

There really does seem to be an epidemic of it. I totally blame high fructose corn syrup. I blame HCFS for all the epidemics: obesity, diabetes, metabolic disease. No transporters!

by Anonymousreply 1508/10/2012

Was it caused by ectoplasmic fields?

by Anonymousreply 1608/10/2012

I think Ryans hot. Is he fucking Sergey?

by Anonymousreply 1708/10/2012

Boo Hoo! (And I don't mean ghosts.)

by Anonymousreply 1808/10/2012

Ryan and Sergey are a couple. They're moving (have moved) to North Carolina together.

by Anonymousreply 1908/10/2012

What a terrible thing for both of them.

I don't like Ryan's feeding into superstitions, but I wouldn't wish this on my worse enemy.

And poor Serge, who can't even be acknowledged as Ryan's partner.

by Anonymousreply 2008/10/2012

He sure does love attention. What's next year's shocking admission going to be?

by Anonymousreply 2108/10/2012

[quote]He sure does love attention. What's next year's shocking admission going to be?

Probably that he's dead.

Is a little compassion too much to ask for?

by Anonymousreply 2208/10/2012

If there is a 'next year's admission' R21, it might have to come from the beyond.

by Anonymousreply 2308/10/2012

I'm my sister AND my daughter!

by Anonymousreply 2408/10/2012

He had a hot ass but he couldn't live forever.

by Anonymousreply 2508/10/2012

Serge is his partner? Who's Chips bfÉ

by Anonymousreply 2608/10/2012

There's no proof that Sergey is his partner. They don't acknowledge being in a relationship, and Sergey refers to Ryan as "buddy."

by Anonymousreply 2708/11/2012

From Ryan's Facebook:

Hi, everybody. My understanding is that a lot of you are sending cards and gifts to the State College address and are being returned to you. We apologized for the inconvenience. Ryan and Sergey are still on the process of moving to Raleigh, NC. As soon as a new mailing address is established, we will let you know. ~ Cereza, PRS Staff

by Anonymousreply 2808/11/2012

[quote]There's no proof that Sergey is his partner. They don't acknowledge being in a relationship, and Sergey refers to Ryan as "buddy."

Except that they're moving to a different state together.

Also, there were episodes of PS where it seemed REALLY clear that Ryan and Serge were closer than just friends.

by Anonymousreply 2908/11/2012

He certainly looks more attractive now that he's lost some weight.

by Anonymousreply 3008/11/2012

Do we know who Chip's fucking yet?

by Anonymousreply 3108/22/2012

Chip's so old I doubt that he's fucking anybody.

by Anonymousreply 3208/22/2012

R27 and R29

I went to school with them and I said this years ago when the show started airing and a thread appeared. They've been a couple for at least a decade. I don't know if there were breaks in between but they were definitely together in college.

It sucks that he has this. I never particularly liked him but he definitely doesn't deserve this, no one does. That being said, while the show was (clearly) staged, the original group was a pretty serious bunch. They did genuine investigations of paranormal activity. I guess that all went out the door when they got the show.

by Anonymousreply 3308/26/2012

Bonnie Franklin is going to steal Ryan's thunder with the announcement of her pancreatic cancer diagnosis.

by Anonymousreply 3409/25/2012

Don't tell me ... a ghost gave it to him in revenge for awakening his wrath.

by Anonymousreply 3509/25/2012

I've never liked Mackenzie Phillips, but that isn't a nice thing for Buell to call her.

by Anonymousreply 3609/25/2012

[quote]Pancreatic cancer can be treated easily so long as it is caught very early on.Unfortunately, it's hardly ever caught early and most people die with a couple of years after diagnosis.

A retired (from performing) diva beloved of many culture queens on DL was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer about 5 years ago and it has not slowed down her post-performance career in academia one bit. She did take a brief hiatus for treatment but that didn't last long.

by Anonymousreply 3709/25/2012

[quote]A retired (from performing) diva beloved of many culture queens on DL

Helen Lawson?

by Anonymousreply 3809/25/2012

A much booze, coke and horse as I've put in my body and you think a little thing like cancer can stop me?!?

by Anonymousreply 3909/25/2012

Have there been any updates on Ryan's condition?

It seems like some who post here are Facebook friends with him. Has he been updating people about his status?

by Anonymousreply 4010/25/2012

Latest update on Ryan:

"Dear friends of Ryan. As you know Ryan has been fighting a very serious illness for a year now. He had surgery this afternoon to remove an organ and a piece of another. The operation was a success!!! But we can still use prayers. It will take him a couple weeks to recover and he will be carefully monitored to make sure there aren't any complications or infections. Before you go to bed tonight please say a prayer and light a candle for the chief! Thank you!"

Posted on his FB page - 03/21/2013

by Anonymousreply 4103/23/2013

Horrible and odd.

by Anonymousreply 4203/23/2013

As was pointed out on another thread about pancreatic cancer, there are two forms of the disease. The one that Bonnie Franklin and Patrick Swayze had is the lethal kind. Most people diagnosed with pancreatic cancer have that form. The other form is much less lethal. Ruth Bader Ginsburg had that form. Smoking is a big risk factor for pancreatic cancer. Swayze was a multiple-pack-a-day smoker and refused to quit even after his diagnosis.

by Anonymousreply 4303/23/2013

[quote]Swayze was a multiple-pack-a-day smoker and refused to quit even after his diagnosis.

What would be the point?

by Anonymousreply 4403/23/2013

It sounds like he had a Whipple procedure. That involves removing the gallbladder, part of the pancreas, and a lot of the stomach. If he has a neuroendocrine tumor, which is what Ruth Bader Ginsburg probably had, and what Steve Jobs had as well, he's probably got a reasonably good prognosis. If it was caught prior to metastasis, neuroendocrine tumors have a good 5-year survival rate when treated surgically.

by Anonymousreply 4503/27/2013

Sad, but it's punishment for being a grifter. "Paranormal investigator"? Please.

If only more of reality tv, like Snookie, could collect their karma

by Anonymousreply 4603/27/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!