Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Psycho - again

I loved Hitch's PSYCHO but had not seen it in about 20 years, though I have the dvd. It was on television a day or so ago and I recorded it and idly put it on this morning and I was stunned all over again. Its really one of the key movies of the last 50 years and that great year 1960. I know its always in those Top 50 lists, its certainly in mine. Its one of the best Hitch's along with Notorious, Rear Window, Vertigo, North by Northwesgt & The Birds, and he must have made so much money from it.

Janet Leigh is marvellous in it, I know its not a lead role but she should surely have been a contender for best actress that year. She does wonders with the part as written. I remember reading in some interview that she said Hitch called her in, said he knew she could act and just told her what he wanted from her in his set-ups and left the character of Marian up to her. She certainly delivers a very multi-facteted performance and looks her best here (she did get very emaciated looking in her later years).

Funny she and Curtis will be best remembered for their work with Hitch and Billy Wilder - he is equally as good in Some Like it Hot which with Psycho were key movies for me when growing up and I still love them now. Thats the sign of a real classic. The Herrmann score too is so much more than just those screaming violins. Like Vertigo it is so deep and resonant and so completely right.

Its the first time too that a toilet is flushed in a mainstream American film and Vera Miles even has to put her hand in it to get out the bit of paper that did not flush away ...

Also those opening titles say its December 11th - but there is no mention of christmas at all. But every moment of it is just genius.

by Anonymousreply 3605/05/2013

Honey, put down the crack pipe.

by Anonymousreply 108/07/2012

[quote]I know its not a lead role but she should surely have been a contender for best actress that year

She was nominated for Best Supporting Actress, where she should have been. That was the genius of Hitchcock. Leigh was advertised as a lead actress which made the shock even more, as she was killed off so early in the picture, nobody saw it coming.

by Anonymousreply 208/07/2012

Why are you raving about Janet Leigh's acting, when Tony Perkins was so damned brilliant in the same film?

He really was amazing, Oscar quality, and that's all the more remarkable because he'd done so little of interest before this film. He was usually wasted in puppyish male ingenue roles, and that's almost what he plays in the early scenes. But when things get wierd... well, 1960s audiences must have been shocked, that that nice Perkins boy could do that!

He was so good in this role it was actually bad for his career. Nobody could forget it, and he couldn't top it.

by Anonymousreply 308/07/2012

She didn't put her hand IN the toilet. Lord, the scrap of paper was behind the bowl.

by Anonymousreply 408/07/2012

Only watch it for shirtless scene with John Gavin.

by Anonymousreply 608/07/2012

I love John Gavin

by Anonymousreply 708/07/2012

Ops, please make a thread for Janet Leigh!

Plese make a thread for Wllliam Holden

Please make a thread for Eleanor Parker

Please!!!!!!!!!!!!

What about Eric Clapton??????????????

Make threads for talented people!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 812/08/2012

The last time I watched it, I was stunned how bored I was with it. I actually prefer the now forgotten sequels, aside from the last one (which still had a nifty fire sequence at the end.)

by Anonymousreply 912/08/2012

OP, I love Psycho too, but it can't be one of the key movies of the last 50 years if it was made in 1960.

by Anonymousreply 1012/08/2012

[all posts by right wing shit-stain # a removed.]

by Anonymousreply 1112/08/2012

"Just call me Hitch. Hold the cock."

by Anonymousreply 1212/08/2012

There were 3 sequels, and the first 2 were pretty good. Even the 3rd was watchable.

by Anonymousreply 1312/08/2012

Please make these threads, i won't call myself an Op if you do that, just make threads for talented people! We must pay a tribute to them!

Charlton Heston,Romy Schneider, Linda Darnell Robert Mitchum, Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens are also some of the people i would like to pay a tribute for on DL.

by Anonymousreply 1412/08/2012

Charlton Heston wasn't talented, R14. I do agree with the rest of your list.

by Anonymousreply 1512/08/2012

R15, at least we agree for all the rest! However, i must say that you are a bit unfair with Heston.

'While they were starring in a play together in 1960, Laurence Olivier told Heston that he had the potential to become the greatest American actor of the century. When the play received unfavorable notices, Heston said, "I guess you learn to forget bad notices?", to which Olivier replied, "What's more important, laddie, and much harder -- learn to forget good notices."

by Anonymousreply 1612/08/2012

Heston was not a humorless man, he was just too honest and stable and he wanted to protect his family from really bad people. He might seem stubborn in some eyes, but he was not a hypocrite. He really tried to work it out for his family and he did and personally, i don't know many Hollywood stars that were or are capable of doing that. You have to have a certain humility and a strong character for achieving that. No matter how good your parther might be, if you are frivolous and you care only about your satisfaction, you are going to loose the knot. Well, he didn't.

by Anonymousreply 1712/08/2012

*partner

by Anonymousreply 1812/08/2012

Leigh was very good and - sorry haters! - Scarjo is marvelous as Leigh in Hitchcock.

The more I see of Scarlett, including Hitchcock and her tony winning turn in A View From the Bridge, the more impressive she is.

by Anonymousreply 1912/08/2012

"Psycho" definitely has its amazing moments, but it also has some major flaws. For one thing, Perkins was so tall that they REALLY had to fudge it in the scenes where the mother appears, and to be honest, it really doesn't work.

Also, John Gavin was no good at naturalistic acting, so whenever he's on screen, it's obviously an actor in a role rather than a real person up there. And although I realize it was 1960, and the general public didn't know as much about mental illness, and blah blah blah, that postlude discussion of what's wrong with Norman is so painfully obvious and over-explained that it almost ruins the movie for modern-day audiences.

by Anonymousreply 2012/08/2012

As the OP mentioned , there is no mention of Christmas although the movie takes place in December.

I read a book a few years ago on the making of Psycho. It was actually made on a pretty low budget.

After filming the opening location shots of downtown Phoenix, they noticed Christmas decorations in the street scenes. They didn't have the budget to re-shoot, so they simply added the December 11 date to the beginning of the film.

by Anonymousreply 2112/08/2012

This move was probably groundbreaking in 1960 but it's a complete cheese fest today.

by Anonymousreply 2212/08/2012

Are Vera Miles and Sylvia Miles related?

by Anonymousreply 2312/08/2012

[quote] Yes, and they're both the children of Miles Standish

by Anonymousreply 2412/08/2012

[quote] Are Vera Miles and Sylvia Miles related?

Sarah Miles is their mother. In honor of he metric system, she changed her name to Sarah Kilometers several years ago.

by Anonymousreply 2512/08/2012

Did Mr. Hitchcock have a dirty mind? Yes, and so do I, doesn't everybody?" Leigh says, anticipating the question stirred up by the assertions of Hitchcock biographer Donald Spoto. Did the suspense maestro fixate on her as he allegedly did on other flash-frozen blondes? "I can only speak for myself," she answers. "He was a genius and showed me nothing but professionalism and respect. I take exception to the negative approach of some biographers and just hope they had access to reliable sources and research." Still, Hitchcock's prurient and commercial instincts were flawless. He commenced - and advertised - Psycho with Leigh in a bra and half-slip, but would have preferred, he told Francois Truffaut, "the girl's bare breasts...rubbing against the man's chest."

by Anonymousreply 2605/05/2013

Like Reynolds, MacLaine, and Mitzi Gaynor, Janet Leigh might have shaken her assets and glitzed out on the nightclub circuit, but again, neither her livelihood nor her ego depended on it. "Believe me, if it were a matter of needing to put food on the table for my family," she says, "I'd sell toilet paper."

by Anonymousreply 2705/05/2013

Janet Leigh admits that self-doubt has often kept her from pursuing roles in which she might have been memorable. She admits regret that she and Jamie Lee did not "find out soon enough" about Terms of Endearment "because Jamie could have campaigned for the two of us."

She also voices disappointment "that we weren't thought of for 'Postcards From the Edge', because we would have been very good. I don't get thought of for great things like those. And just to do something is not worth the effort." Then, why not aggressively campaign for juicy roles like Shirley MacLaine and others do? "This is a big problem with me," she says, reddening. "I find it very difficult to sell myself. I am not an aggressive person, for myself. Jamie Lee, Bob, and Kelly - everybody - gets furious with me about this. Maybe it's that old fear of rejection. If I don't push for it, it's not like I know that producers have definitely said: 'We don't want her' I think it goes back to that incident [running away and getting married] when I was 14. I think I maybe never felt worthy, that I shouldn't be aggressive. I went so far the other way because I was grateful for anything good. I almost felt I didn't deserve the good that came to me. But it came down to priorities, too. If you are driven about your career, something else has to give. Maybe I didn't want [my private life] to suffer. But," Leigh says, frankly, "maybe it wouldn't have suffered." Even from one as clear-eyed as Janet Leigh, those words sound poignant. But, as she puts it, "No regrets."

by Anonymousreply 2805/05/2013

[quote]Leigh was very good and - sorry haters! - Scarjo is marvelous as Leigh in Hitchcock.

Weird, but I agree Scarlet was really good in that small part. Unlike Jessica Biel in the same film...

[quote]This move was probably groundbreaking in 1960 but it's a complete cheese fest today.

I disagree. The film may seem like a cheese-fest today because it's been imitated, and paid homage to, a million times since. It's a very thoughtful film that spends time developing the main characters' psychology. The loneliness of Norman and Marion is palpable (their talk just before the murder is both scary and moving).

The film language is extraordinary. Not only camerawork, but the use of music and editing as well.

by Anonymousreply 2905/05/2013

R29, you prefer me in Psycho or that Johansson girl?

I feel slightly offended...

by Anonymousreply 3005/05/2013

The music in the hotel scene is saturated with longing. Everybody in this movie seems so disappointed with "the American dream", except Norman, who is comparatively well adjusted! I wonder if the alienation of these characters resonated with audiences in 1960.

by Anonymousreply 3105/05/2013

[quote][R29], you prefer me in Psycho or that Johansson girl?

I meant to say I prefer Johansson to Biel in "Hitchcock". But, you Janet, were wonderful in your own film.

[quote]The music in the hotel scene is saturated with longing.

Yes!

by Anonymousreply 3205/05/2013

*giggles

R32, alright then, i'm glad you made it clear. I'm really glad. I feel some kind of euphoria now that you recognized my vital presence in Psycho. I hope i haunted you a bit...

by Anonymousreply 3305/05/2013

Is it true Janet Leigh died of anorexia?

by Anonymousreply 3405/05/2013

R34 Janet died at her homeat the age of 77 after suffering a heart attack. She suffered from vasculitis and peripheral neuropathy, which caused her right hand to become gangrenous. She was cremated after death and her ashes are interred in a niche in Westwood Village Memorial Park Cemetery in Los Angeles, California.

by Anonymousreply 3505/05/2013

John Gavin was perhaps one of the handsomest actors EVER.

by Anonymousreply 3605/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.