Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Are you a hipster?

Do you have one of those beards and live in Williamsburg or your city's version of Williamsburg? Do you live off of your barrista salary - subsidized by your trust fund/monthly check from your parents and/or grandma? Do you wear hipster outfits and walk around acting ironic all day? Show yourselves hipsters!

by Anonymousreply 4509/28/2013

How does one "act ironic"?

by Anonymousreply 108/07/2012

No I suck

by Anonymousreply 208/11/2012

Is D.C. Pierson portraying a hipster in that Allstate TV commercial where he rear-ends the old dude and they learn they have the same Allstate insurance agent?

Is that the hipster look?

by Anonymousreply 308/11/2012

[quote]your city's version of Williamsburg?

Why would my city have a version of a recreation of an inland colonial city in Virginia? We have 16 miles of beach and sand dunes. Lots of surfers, no hipsters.

by Anonymousreply 408/12/2012

Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

by Anonymousreply 508/12/2012

To me, hipsters do all this stuff (politically correct, vegan-hemp-balsamic, goatee, vinyl, tats) because they're actually struggling against their true nature: racist, spoiled and selfish. They could never do Hipster without the knowledge that the money is there if they need it.

by Anonymousreply 608/12/2012

Yes, I live in Fremont and wear a Utilikilt.

by Anonymousreply 708/12/2012

Wasn't there some gay hipster we used to make fun of here, some blond guy who baked cupcakes naked with his tattooed Asian lovers? I think he stopped by to tell us that we were bad people... The backlash was more delicious than his bacon arugula butter beignets.

by Anonymousreply 808/12/2012

I'm no hipster R6, but my city (Austin) has a ton of them. It's not unlike a much cleaner Woodstock around here (fewer scabies and unwashed vaginas, but just as many drugs). I can't say that I agree with you about the racist part, though I will concede the possibility that they are selfish. I do know that one can count on the hipsters in our area to reliably rally around the gay community. I'll have more to say on the subject shortly as I'm moving into a hotbed of them within the month (downtown, east-austin condo).

by Anonymousreply 908/12/2012

r8, I think he was a knitter.

by Anonymousreply 1008/12/2012

r9=kirker

by Anonymousreply 1108/12/2012

OP = Benny from Rent

by Anonymousreply 1208/12/2012

Yes R8,and he was named "Piecunt" by the good folk at DL

by Anonymousreply 1308/12/2012

Although my nearly my entire hometown is ground zero for attracting and breeding hipsters, I'm too old and too bored with fashion and cultural trends to ever want to emulate them. But there is some overlap: I've extremely liberal and PC, smoke pot sometimes, and hang out in coffee houses.

I definitely have some younger friends who qualify as hipsters, but most annoy me. The Lower Haight, The Castrate (Lower Haight/Duboce Triangle-Mid-Market area) and the Valencia corridor are to be avoided when possible.

Yelling "Fuck You, Hipster!" to the ones who cut me off on their retro bicycles, or uber-attitude barristas has become a favorite pastime.

Mostly, they're polite, kind, Liberal young people having fun, hanging out with their peers, and doing what they think is the right thing to do.

No diff from punk/New Waver moi in the early 80's!

by Anonymousreply 1408/12/2012

How do they make enough money to live in these cities? Not everyone's a trust fund baby.

by Anonymousreply 1508/12/2012

#15, that's why they're always skinny- because they have 3 jobs (barista, web page consultant, selling things on Etsy, bike mechanic, sound system installer, etc.) and eat mostly fiber.

When thing$ get rough, they just call home for a maintenance check.

by Anonymousreply 1608/12/2012

Lots of eldergays posting on this thread who don't really know what they're talking about.

by Anonymousreply 1708/12/2012

Is this what a hipster looks like? Looks like a bum to me.

by Anonymousreply 1808/13/2012

Hipster basically refers to urban young people of any race who do not wish to dress like a preppy, jock, fratboy, suit or thug. Labeling them all as selfish, spoiled and racist is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 1908/13/2012

[quote](politically correct, vegan-hemp-balsamic, goatee, vinyl, tats)

It's still conformity, but you can't tell them that, as they're convinced that they're expressing their own individuality while blind to the fact that they're a clone of ten thousand others around here.

by Anonymousreply 2008/13/2012

No R11... I'm not Kirker, though I did walk by that overpriced home furnishing store while it was opened. Had he waited two years, it probably would have taken off.

by Anonymousreply 2108/13/2012

I don't think they believe they are expressing their own individuality. They know they are part of a group. They do believe that they are standing collectively against the mainstream and they feel superior to it. This has been a consistent stance of a portion of America's youth since the Beats in the 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 2208/13/2012

Remember the Seinfeld when Elaine called Kramer a hipster dufus? That is what I think whenever I see one. The look is so mainstream these days, how can it be classified as hip.

by Anonymousreply 2308/13/2012

Don't forget the fedora and red-framed Ray Bans.

Hipsters can be a little irritating and precious but they are nonviolent and harmless. Not really racist or homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 2408/13/2012

R22, I think it is interesting that you have likened them to the Beats. I think you are on to something, as they seem more intellectual (perhaps pseudointellectual, though, as this could be more of a function of living in a college city). The hipsters I know actually have pretty good taste (they are well-read, drink fine spirits, and never tolerate hate); yet, their attitude that, on-the-surface, seems unapologetic and bored is, invariably a reflection of insecurity and channeled eccentricity. To me, they are more like Apache Dancers than Beats.

by Anonymousreply 2508/13/2012

Fellow Austinite. Hipsters galore here. By trying so hard to not conform, they are actually conforming with the non-conformist.

Yes, they ride bikes. They have gangly, oh so unkempt hair, random piercings, are usually skinny / emaciated, and wear some type of old school / dorky t-shirt. Bicycle messenger bag. Chuck Taylor sneakers or sandals. And they smell (smoke / BO). They play frisbee golf at Zilker all day (sorry, "disc golf").

What makes them hispters is that they think they are better than everyone else for not becoming part of the machine, man. They reject the corporate world and prefer to work in some indie coffee shop while they play in a band or some artistic endeavor that is their true calling. Or they do the whole pedicab thing for tips.

They're harmless.

by Anonymousreply 2608/13/2012

It's a term that's not so useful because it means so many different things to so many different people.

Everyone has their own idea of what a hipster is, and assumes (wrongly) that everyone else is of like mind.

There's the Spoiled Trustafarian Hipster (anyone who has more money --or "easier" money-- than the complainant); the Oh-So-Ironic-Hipster; the skinny-legged, porkpie hat wearing Fashion Hispter; the Crunchy Granola Hempster Hipster; the dirty hippie hipster; the annoying dude in front of you at the coffee house hipster...

by Anonymousreply 2708/13/2012

DL only attracts, and is therefore the domain of, anti-hipsters.

by Anonymousreply 2808/13/2012

What music are they currently listening ?

by Anonymousreply 2908/13/2012

R26 describes more or less the same person who was the preppy-punk in 1980's "Preppy Handbook."

by Anonymousreply 3008/13/2012

www.thingbox.com is the UK version.

by Anonymousreply 3108/13/2012

No, I am a slickster, which is the new hipster.

by Anonymousreply 3208/13/2012

It's not just Williamsburg, they are all over Bushwick. They do look like R26's portrayal. They make me snicker, but not as much as the previous decade's goth fatties did.

by Anonymousreply 3308/13/2012

Hipsters are just my type aesthetically; however, they tend to be horribly racist, snobbish, and generally repellant.

by Anonymousreply 3408/13/2012

by Anonymousreply 3509/13/2012

Yes, hipsters are annoying, but I'd still rather be around them than non-hipsters their age.

Of course they're annoying, pretentious, and conform to their group. But they have more intelligence and curiosity than the "mainstream" kids their age, the ones who just get soul-killing jobs and don't aspire to anything beyond the kinder-kuche-kirche lifestyle. So yes, they're annoying, but all young people are annoying. It's what immaturity is all about.

by Anonymousreply 3609/13/2012

In Williamsburg they are way more aggressive and violent. No joke. I've seen more fights among them on Bedford Avenue on a Friday night than I care to mention. Usually at this fucking retarded bar called The Charleston, which is like a drunken sandbox packed to the gills with stylishly disheveled consumers who all smell like taco meat.

As for not joining the mainstream, that's a total joke. Most of them work for ad agencies.

by Anonymousreply 3709/13/2012

The only people who refer to others as hipsters are hipsters who are unaware that they are in fact hipsters.

by Anonymousreply 3809/28/2013

Why are guys who have beards...wear tight ankled jeans with white socks peeking out and untucked, long sleeved gingham,checked or plaid shirts ALWAYS such obnoxious fucking assholes?

by Anonymousreply 3909/28/2013

The worst kind of "hipsters" are the ones over 30.

by Anonymousreply 4009/28/2013

The most pathetic (and angry hipsters) are those approaching 40.

by Anonymousreply 4109/28/2013

At what age does one cease to be a hipster despite ones best attempts at appropriate dress,attitude and behavior?

I've seen some pretty wizened looking ones about.

by Anonymousreply 4209/28/2013

see link

by Anonymousreply 4309/28/2013

I live in Chicago and today my s.o. and I went to Andersonville for brunch. Well, apparently even "the gays" are doing this hipster beard thing now, because the ginger behind the counter at A Taste of Heaven looked like he should have been building toys in Santa's workshop while singing "Two Princes." Then we went down the block to the Jewell-Osco and had another gay hipster encounter, but this one had a beard AND a kilt.

by Anonymousreply 4409/28/2013

This is DL. The place is full of BROKEN hipsters.

by Anonymousreply 4509/28/2013
Need more help? Click Here.