Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Stephen King to publish sequel to "The Shining"

It's called "Doctor Sleep" and it comes out in January.

by Anonymousreply 5609/11/2013

I read all his books up to the late 90s, and then lost interest. Even though reading his new books would be as simple as borrowing from my mother's library, she collects them all. The Shining is generally considered one of his two best though, along with The Stand. Maybe I'll read it the sequel.

by Anonymousreply 108/06/2012

WEHT Shelly Duvall?

Does she even work in showbiz, now?

by Anonymousreply 208/06/2012

Bleh. Between the script he wrote for the TV remake, and this sequel, King must want to deliberately trash The Shining. The George Lucas of books.

Did he join Joyce Carol Oates in a pact with the devil for the ability to crank out 3 books a year?

by Anonymousreply 308/06/2012

"The George Lucas of books."

I can hardly wait to see JarJar Binks make an appearance at the lodge.

by Anonymousreply 408/06/2012

File this under "Yet More Sequels We Don't Need"

by Anonymousreply 508/06/2012

He'd be putting out more books if it wasn't for the near fatal accident. He had announced his retirement because he said it was too painful to sit for long periods of time. He said he'd still release a few books, but not many. Then he started releasing a lot of books again, but still not quite at the same old rate.

by Anonymousreply 608/06/2012

Just a couple of weeks ago I could swear I'd heard he was writing a PREquel to The Shining. Maybe it was some of the chatter around the time of Comic-con.

Did anybody else think that too?

by Anonymousreply 708/06/2012

Yes, R7. I heard prequel as well. I assumed that it would tell the story of Grady the caretaker.

by Anonymousreply 808/06/2012

I always wanted him to do a sequel to "Salem's Lot." But he said that the story was continued in that crummy "Dark Tower" series that he did, which has all different "kinds" of vampires in it, or something. I never read it; it sounded stupid. I know Father Callahan was in it. But I don't think it really had anything to do with the doomed town of "Salem's Lot."

I read a long time ago that he was considering a sequel to SA and that the plot was something like this. Mark Petrie is now a priest; he gets a phone call from his mother, his mother whose murder he witnessed. She says to him "I'm still alive...they're hurting me..." So Mark and Ben go back to Salem's Lot and then...well, use your imagination. Sounded pretty scary to me. But I guess King just chucked that storyline in favor of the "Dark Tower" mess. A shame. I think it would have been great to have Mark and Ben go back to Salem's Lot and fight the vampires again.

by Anonymousreply 908/06/2012

He did do that one short story that was a sequel to 'Salem's Lot. The vampires won.

by Anonymousreply 1008/06/2012

I want to see Dinosours!

by Anonymousreply 1108/06/2012

R7/R8, there was a report of a film studio looking to do another Shining film that would be either a prequel OR a sequel.

It would probably make sense for them to just film whatever King's writing, but if they have wider rights then they might do a prequel instead. Especially if what King comes up with is less than great.

by Anonymousreply 1208/06/2012

I know there are a lot of people who think he's a hack but I love him. Plus he's from the best state ever. I am the Maine troll.

Love his house.

Perfect example of Maine architecture.

by Anonymousreply 1308/06/2012

I could even see a Shining prequel as an HBO TV series. Every week, another room, another calamity. The ghost of Grady could host.

by Anonymousreply 1408/06/2012

[quote]Just a couple of weeks ago I could swear I'd heard he was writing a PREquel to The Shining. Maybe it was some of the chatter around the time of Comic-con. Did anybody else think that too?

[quote]Yes, [R7]. I heard prequel as well.

Nobody clicks on the links and reads? The article states that he is writing a sequel and that they are filming a prequel.

by Anonymousreply 1508/06/2012

I stopped reading his cheesy books after The Tommyknockers, which is basically an unofficial "remake" (read rip-off) of It Came From Outer Space. Stephen King has almost no original ideas. He borrows so much from other sources that he makes Madonna and Lady Gaga look like the paragons of originality. In fact King admitted that he was "inspired" to write The Shining after he read Burnt Offerings. If you look at both films, they're almost identical.

by Anonymousreply 1608/06/2012

Sounds like a good idea for an American Horror Story series R15.

by Anonymousreply 1708/06/2012

More on the prequel.

by Anonymousreply 1808/06/2012

The sequel to The Talisman sucked!

by Anonymousreply 1908/06/2012

"He did do that one short story that was a sequel to 'Salem's Lot. The vampires won."

That short story was called "One For The Road." It was very effective. You can find it in his short story collection "Night Shift." It mentions that Salem's Lot got "burned out" a while back and that things got "better" but then they started back up again, and that it was "full of vampires." People who lived around the area avoided the Lot like the plague, but sometimes idiots from other states or areas would come to the Lot and...you know the rest.

The vampires in Salem's Lot were traditional, soulless blood-suckers with red eyes and corpse-white skin and foul breath, just like vampires are supposed to be. Which is why they were so terrifying. I loved Salem's Lot; it was one of the scariest horror novels I ever read.

by Anonymousreply 2008/06/2012

[quote]Love his house.

His security tab must be enormous even if he can afford it. I used to love Queen Anne houses, but they're beginning to creep me out.

I enjoyed his earlier books enormously, but I just don't have the patience anymore to wade through his 800-page efforts.

by Anonymousreply 2108/06/2012

I liked the one about Kennedy and Oswald better than anything he's done for a long time. (He came out with a book of short stories that was ok, too.)

by Anonymousreply 2208/06/2012

Hasn't written anything of worth since the early 80's.

by Anonymousreply 2308/06/2012

I actually loved Tommyknockers, even if it was derivative. He wrote Misery after that, which was at least as good. I'm not sure what I'd call his last good book, I don't remember the 90s books that well.

by Anonymousreply 2408/06/2012

R24 - Wrong. 112263, Under the Dome, Hearts in Atlantis, Misery all very good and equal to his mid 70s/early 80s books.

by Anonymousreply 2508/06/2012

Misery--still 80s.

The rest; hardly.

by Anonymousreply 2608/06/2012

Father Callahan plays a huge role in the last few Dark Tower books.

by Anonymousreply 2708/06/2012

Long-belated sequels to horror classics are always fantastic!

by Anonymousreply 2808/06/2012

I LOVED his books as a teen (and I still think The Shining is one of the better horror stories I've read) but when I grew up and broadened my reading tastes I starting realising he's a formulaic hack and a homophobe. Tried reading a more recent one a couple years ago (don't remember the title) and put it down after a day. Y'all can have him.

by Anonymousreply 2908/06/2012

I liked Bag of Bones, which I believe was the '90s. It was not exactly revolutionary, but I thought it was a good old fashioned ghost story.

I am guessing this is an unpopular opinion, but I thought The Stand fizzled after a strong start. The whole battle in Vegas and a lot of the characters seemed cliche and taken from other end of the world stories.

by Anonymousreply 3008/06/2012

I didn't like The Stand at all.

I did like Carrie, Salem's Lot, Dolores Claiborne, and Rose Madder.

The Shining is good but it's too long.

by Anonymousreply 3108/06/2012

I kinda agree with r30, the magic just isn't there the way it was reading his stuff when I was a kid. And I do see strains of homophobia throughout his work, even after his daughter came out. He was raised in a Republican Christian household, for anyone who doesn't know. Of course he became more liberal after that, I just don't think he entirely shed those beliefs though.

by Anonymousreply 3208/06/2012

I'm comfy with his cast of characters. He admitted in "Writing" that he throws favorite creations into different situations.

As for "The Talisman" and "Black House", he toned down some of the Muriel Spark in Peter Straub.

People forget what King brought to the jandra. We were stuck with the John Saul school of horror…everyone dies…the end.

by Anonymousreply 3308/06/2012

[quote] The George Lucas of books.

He's also the Andrew Lloyd Webber of authors

by Anonymousreply 3408/06/2012

I think he's just from a generation that doesn't "get" homosexuality. I remember reading an interview he did years ago (might have been part of "Danse Macabre") where he made a comment about growing up believing any kind of sexual dysfunction was rooted in homosexuality. The context was that he'd left that opinion in the past but his writing didn't really reflect that.

I feel like he's tried in recent years to write sympathetic gay characters but they still come off extremely cliched. (See "The Cell") But really, is it any worse than his "magical negro" cliche characters? He's ultra liberal and supports progressive causes, I assume including gay equality. I'd rather read and support King than right-wing, open homophobe Dean Koontz.

by Anonymousreply 3508/06/2012

I couldn't finish Dolores Claiborne, but the film was excellent, one of my all-time favorites. It was one of the rare examples of the film being much better than the book.

Kathy Bates and Judy Parfitt were robbed of Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 3608/06/2012

In the final book of the Dark Tower series,there is a bizarre scene in which Roland encounters Stephen King himself. For some reason or other Roland asks if Stephen prefers men or women. Stephen's answer is that he's not sure.

by Anonymousreply 3708/06/2012

I agree with the others who've posted that his current work pales to his early writing. As a child, teen and then young adult I eagerly looked forward to his new novels. He was my favourite author. However, there came a point, probably sometime in the '90s where I couldn't even get through some of his books and quit reading them partway through because they were tedious.

I also agree that his writing was on the homophobic side, which disappointed me. I do think he changed his tune after his daughter came out. I'm reading CELL, which, although very good in the beginning and middle, is losing my interest the last 3rd of the novel. One of the main characters (which there are few) is a gay man which is nice to see.

I don't think he's a hack as others have called him. I think he's brilliant. I admit I haven't read a lot of his current work though.

by Anonymousreply 3808/07/2012

Add me to the list of those who thought "The Talisman" was far superior to "Black House".

One of his best books was extremely light on the horror, "Eyes of the Dragon", and it wasn't a bloated excess of storytelling.

by Anonymousreply 3908/07/2012

I'm another one that can't stand The Stand. I like the Captain Trips bits, hate the Moses mumbo-jumbo crap...a big dud.

by Anonymousreply 4008/07/2012

R40 - Black House was the Godfather III to The Talisman's Godfather I and II,

by Anonymousreply 4108/07/2012

Loved him growing up and faithfully read all of his early works. Admittedly have been a very sporadic reader of his for quite awhile. Thought 'Danse Macabre' was a really great book.

I remember being *angry* when I found out he'd been releasing books under a psuedonym while I'd always been waiting anxiously for a new King release (I know ... MARY !!).

Am now re-reading ' 'Salem's Lot' and while I'm definitely interested in learning what's up with the adult Danny Torrance from 'The Shining', I agree with the other poster that I'd like to also know whatever became of Mark Petrie from ' 'Salem's Lot'. At this point,Ben Mears would be in his 70's, if still alive .....

I can't believe I was only 10 when 'Carrie', etc were first released. YIKES.

by Anonymousreply 4208/13/2012

King talks to Entertainment Weekly about Doctor Sleep (coming in September).

It's a long interview and I haven't finished reading it yet, but it gives the premise for the new book as well as some inspiration for the original story.

by Anonymousreply 4302/01/2013

I've liked most of his books but some just seem to drag on for too long, Under The Dome was like that.

by Anonymousreply 4402/02/2013

Is this book coming out soon?

It's been so long now since I've been hearing about it.

by Anonymousreply 4508/10/2013

Hope it's better than his latest book that read like a Scooby Doo mystery.

by Anonymousreply 4608/10/2013

A lot of his books are homophobic. Particularly the ones he wrote before his daughter came out.

So, of course, there are DLers singing his praises. Chumps.

He's a hack writer who spews out puke for the masses.

by Anonymousreply 4708/10/2013

It's out September 24, R45.

by Anonymousreply 4808/10/2013

R48...who cares.

by Anonymousreply 4908/10/2013

I care, r49. I'm the one that asked the question.

by Anonymousreply 5008/10/2013

Well R47, the good news is that you'll never have to deal with it ever again. Farewell!

by Anonymousreply 5108/10/2013

Anyone read his "From a Buick 8"? I just don't get his sci-fi stuff.

by Anonymousreply 5208/10/2013

I've struggled through quite a few of his more literary works - the man knows his genres and styles, but that doesn't mean he writes well in all of them - and Buick 8 was likely the worst book I have ever read. Ever. Several hundred pages to open a trunk, and that was it.

by Anonymousreply 5308/10/2013

Interesting New York Times magazine piece about Stephen King and his family of writers.

King never struck me as a homophobe. In fact, his daughter is gay.

Some may think he's a hack (King himself has said he's like McDonalds) but he'll still be read 100 years from today for the oldest reason of all: You can't wait to see what happens next.

by Anonymousreply 5408/10/2013

The current issue of Entertainment Weekly features an excerpt from Dr. Sleep.

Unfortunately I can't find it online anywhere to link.

On Stephen's website is specifies that the excerpt is only available in the hardcopy version of the magazine.

Only 2 more weeks until it's released though, so not that big a deal.

by Anonymousreply 5509/11/2013
Need more help? Click Here.