Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

COPPER, new BBC period crime drama series set in 1860s NYC, premieres in the US on 8/19

Have any of the British DLers seen it? Is it any good?

The main character is involved both in the Five Points crime world of GANGS OF NEW YORK and the Fifth Avenue high society world of THE AGE OF INNOCENCE. I'm really curious to see this--we don't get many period dramas in the US set before 1900.

by Anonymousreply 3910/26/2012

This could be really good. The central guys in it are really gorgeous, at least.

by Anonymousreply 108/05/2012

I'm curious, too. Any gay content?

by Anonymousreply 208/05/2012

Did anyone even notice it's from the fertile, groundbreaking minds of Barry Levinson and Tom Fontana?

This is gonna be good.

by Anonymousreply 308/05/2012

Tom Fontana's shows can be great (HOMICIDE, ST. ELSEWHERE) or they can be crap (OZ, BORGIAS). Let's hope this belongs to the former category.

by Anonymousreply 408/05/2012

looks like trash

by Anonymousreply 508/05/2012

I'm excited, but the reviews are a bit ambiguous. No one comes right out and says it's any good.

by Anonymousreply 608/07/2012

Is there even one American in the cast? Just took a glimpse at IMDb and they seem to be mainly Canadian, with a Brit or two here and French/German.

by Anonymousreply 708/07/2012

[quote]I'm excited, but the reviews are a bit ambiguous. No one comes right out and says it's any good

I don't think those are actual reviews--they're just comments on the idea for the series.

by Anonymousreply 808/07/2012

Oh R2 don't be silly asking such a question. Everybody knows there were no "gays" anywhere before 1959!

by Anonymousreply 908/07/2012

[r4] Which Borgias are you talking about? SHO's Borgias not Fontana's. OZ was good until 4.5. Tom wasn't really involved after that. The writing, I agree, was terrible.

by Anonymousreply 1008/07/2012

Has this actually aired in the UK? I thought it was an original production for BBC America.

Fontana's Borgia is available on Netflix. I haven't seen it so I don't know how it compares to Showtime's, but it did get picked up for another season.

by Anonymousreply 1108/07/2012

[r9] If nothing else, Fontana has never shied away from the gay! He has two gay brothers.

by Anonymousreply 1208/07/2012

For those of you with Comcast On Demand, they have a 45 minute behind the scenes preview show. It looks pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 1308/10/2012

Did anyone see this tonight? was it any good?

by Anonymousreply 1408/19/2012

Great man ass about 5 minutes in.

The show was pretty good, but we'll need to see where it goes.

by Anonymousreply 1508/19/2012

I watched it and thought it was pretty good. It is going to definitely get more involved. I'm thinking like Bleak House but in America.

by Anonymousreply 1608/19/2012

Any gay action?

by Anonymousreply 1708/19/2012

So far a total snooze fest.

by Anonymousreply 1808/20/2012

The review in the NY TIMES was BRUTAL (but honest).

[quote] As it turns out, American-ness is both the defining trait of “Copper” and, in a way, its biggest problem. The show looks good, offers a painless history lesson and has the potential to put an entertaining period spin on the “Law & Order” police procedural genre. But it’s missing exactly the elements that make you want to watch those British shows on BBC America: energy, irreverence, a sense of humor and, crucially, consistently good performances.

[quote] Like a lot of other current high-class cable series, “Copper” achieves a distinctly American mix: a high level of sensationalistic violence, sex and all-around turpitude presented in a package so stuffy and politically correct that it makes your eyes bleed.

by Anonymousreply 1908/20/2012

The lead guy was good (and handsome in an unusual way) and the sets were great. (The costumes were very unbelievable though--the lead wore what looked like a coat made out of grey kid leather that did not look very much of the era.) The screenplay was incredibly cheesy. I liked getting the history lesson, though.

by Anonymousreply 2008/20/2012

There is too much violence on this program, though. Is that what the Brits think of us Americans?

by Anonymousreply 2108/21/2012

I was bothered more by the acting. The lead is okay, though a little underreactive: but all the people who played society figures were terrible, especially the villain who got away with murdering the child prostitute. What a stick! His wife wasn't much better, and though the society guy with one leg had a great chest in his shirtless scene, he wasn't very good. He certainly did not speak with an upper-class accent of the day.

by Anonymousreply 2208/21/2012

Will Abe Lincoln have a cameo?

by Anonymousreply 2308/29/2012

The very idea of a cop procedural with forensics and a coroner set in Civil War New York is bad. Trying that stuff without technology is ridiculous. And the characters come across are completely modern in contrast to Scorsese's historical New York dramas. Shame.

by Anonymousreply 2408/29/2012

It's and original BBC America production.

BBC America is totally separate from the BBC in the UK and it's unlikely to ever be shown in the UK.

And no, it's not how the UK sees the US because it's been produced in the US by Americans.

by Anonymousreply 2508/29/2012

BBC America had a good start but has spiraled to ever deeper depths for years. The most recent boss, American Herb Scannell, has wanted to make over the network which used to brand itself as "the best of British television" into American-made programs for American audiences (Tubbs would be proud.)

So the "best of British television" offers up ancient repeats of Gordon Ramsay, Battlestar Galactica, Top Gear, Graham Norton shows that may as well be filmed in L.A. with American guests and a token British comic, and now "Copper," as bad as the NYTimes describes.

Fourteen Doctor Who episodes and a labyrinthine world-corporate-structure that's too-big-to-care carries the whole fucking enterprise.

by Anonymousreply 2608/29/2012

They can't all be "Downton Abbey."

by Anonymousreply 2709/06/2012

BBC America is a disaster, about to sink like the Titanic - blame it all on Scannell, but he'll survive the wreck with millions in the bank.

by Anonymousreply 2809/06/2012

I am hoping the rich guy character is gay. I like his affected speech and smart, calculating nature. I'm disinterested as to the storyline about Cochoran and the rich lady getting together. Seems like a snoozefest.

by Anonymousreply 2909/06/2012

The show stars Franka Potente from Run Lola Run fame. She also had a brief stint as Elijah Wood's beard (a gig for which she dumped her hot shot German director husband Tom Tykwer).

by Anonymousreply 3009/06/2012

I saw about the last half. Total downer, I didn't see one positive, hopeful event or person in the entire thing. Maybe there was something in the beginning I missed, but at a certain point it was, "Omg, is somebody going to rape that little 10 year old girl AGAIN?"

Everybody is an alcoholic or drug addict, good, bad or indifferent. You can imagine them all 10 years from now - dead, in a whorehouse, or crippled and homeless and crazy, and sleeping in an alley, including the cops.

Deadwood was a better version of this - people lived hard lives, but had good relationships that developed over time that were the backbone of the show, and the writing was light years better. You knew Al Swearingen and the whores were on their way downhill for the most part, but they all had solid friendships that carried them through. None of these people seem capable of helping anybody through anything - they are all falling apart simultaneously. I know people in those days were all drunk or high on laudanum all the time, but come on - not one person with a hopeful future on the entire show? It's like watching Dante's Inferno.

I really like shows about this era too, I love history. Did I miss something?

by Anonymousreply 3109/06/2012

I sort of agree R31. It's just boring, really. And not because of lack of action or because the characters are dark. It's because they're aren't any connections between the characters. That's what makes good TV. Everyone is too detached from everyone else.

I love the premise, I love the history. But it's just not good TV thus far. If the characters aren't convincingly connected, we can't be as viewers.

by Anonymousreply 3209/06/2012

Copper treats other men rough, but is gentle to girls and women.

by Anonymousreply 3309/06/2012

I wonder if it's dark b/c it's a Tom Fontana thing. Fontana is such a weirdo. He usually starts well but then it goes downhill. Every show he's had the characters end in a horrible place, dead or unhappy. Here he's changing it by having them start unhappy. That way we won't get disappointed when he fucks over the "hero" during the last episode of the series.

by Anonymousreply 3409/06/2012

SHILL!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 3509/07/2012

Is anyone watching? I don't understand what allegedly happened to Corky's wife/daughter and why his partner would be hiding the wife.

by Anonymousreply 3610/08/2012

Now my questions have been answered. Pretty crazy. I like the introduction of John Wilkes Booth into this world.

by Anonymousreply 3710/26/2012

R36, his wife fell in love with mcGuire because Corky was always busy. One night she was sleeping with McGuire and Corky may have shown up. She tried to pretend she wasn't there, but the daughter wouldn't shut up so she accidentally killed her. then she flipped out so McGuire put her in that home and had her drugged.

The show is good, love the doctor, but it is getting darker moodwise by the episode. It even looks dark.

by Anonymousreply 3810/26/2012

I don't think Corky showed up; I just think the daughter heard them and walked in on them having sex. She freaked out, and the wife (who was already disturbed from the abortion), lost it and killed the daughter.

by Anonymousreply 3910/26/2012
Need more help? Click Here.