Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Was Audrey Hepburn a respected actress in her day?

I was surprised to read she had five Oscar noms.

by Anonymousreply 7002/25/2015

And an Oscar win for her first Hollywood movie. Yes, I would say she was respected, much more so than Marilyn Monroe, who was never nominated for one.

by Anonymousreply 108/05/2012

Didn't she get a Tony nom for the play Gigi as well?

She left a Hitchcock film because of a miscarriage and aspparently he was a total dick about it.

by Anonymousreply 208/05/2012

Which movie r2?

by Anonymousreply 308/05/2012

R2, No, she didn't get a Tony nom for [italic]Gigi[/italic], but she did win a Tony for [italic]Ondine[/italic] (1954). Hepburn was actually one of the select few to receive the grand slam of creative awards - Oscar, Tony, Emmy, and Grammy, plus Golden Globes, BAFTAs, etc. So, going back to OP's question -- yes, I would say she was a respected actress in her day.

R3, I believe the movie was to be "No Bail for the Judge," but Hitchcock lost interest once Hepburn dropped out. Supposedly, Hepburn was turned off by a scene where her character is dragged to Hyde Park and nearly raped. Anyway, the official word was that Hepburn bailed on the project when she found out she was pregnant (which ended in miscarriage).

by Anonymousreply 408/05/2012

Wait Until Dark and Charade are so like Hitchcock films. Love them both.

Hepburn broke her back filming Unforgiven and blamed the later miscarriage on the accident.

What did she get a Grammy for? Funny Face?

by Anonymousreply 508/05/2012

The Nun's Story - OP. You can't get more respected than that. Oh, and she led War And Peace, and Breakfast At Tiffanys.

by Anonymousreply 608/05/2012

Don't forget Love in the Afternoon. Such a totally different role, and she's fantastic in it.

by Anonymousreply 708/05/2012

Correction, Two For the Road. Love in the Afternoon, not so much.

by Anonymousreply 808/05/2012

R5, the Grammy was for [italic]Audrey Hepburn's Enchanted Tales[/italic] for Best Spoken Word Album for Children(!)

by Anonymousreply 908/05/2012

Well they named Mickey Mouse after Mickey Rooney and Mickey, at least in his time was cool.

They named Lil Audrey the cartoon after Hepburn

You do the math

by Anonymousreply 1008/05/2012

Never cared much for her.

by Anonymousreply 1108/05/2012

She had charisma and screen presence for days. Nun's Story is her best, I think.

by Anonymousreply 1208/05/2012

[quote]And an Oscar win for her first Hollywood movie.

In which Gregory Peck insisted she receive equal billing as he, above the title. No doubt that made quite a difference, rather than "Introducing Audrey Hepburn" below the title.

Can you imagine Elizabeth Taylor is this role? This was certainly kismet, when it came to final casting. "Roman Holiday" would have had a whole other vibe with Liz.

by Anonymousreply 1308/05/2012

I prefer Pol Pot.

by Anonymousreply 1408/07/2012

She was worse than Hitler.

by Anonymousreply 1508/07/2012

She got her back broken by a lot of dudes in her time.

by Anonymousreply 1608/07/2012

No mention of The Children's Hour?

by Anonymousreply 1811/11/2012

R8, I saw the movie, did not recall who the woman was, so in love with Albert Finney were I. Albert as a young man looked so tasty, so finger licking good. So plump and ripe. Finney in "Tom Jones" !!!!!

by Anonymousreply 1911/11/2012

Audrey was ace! You think that little detail could escape other people?

by Anonymousreply 2011/11/2012

Someone please get some smelling salts to R17!

Two for the Road has some wonderful moments and I have a soft spot in my heart for it.

She made some terrific movies. For some reason (can't remember what it was) I didn't like her when I was young but grew to appreciate her charm and talent.

by Anonymousreply 2111/11/2012

Why doesn't someone remake "Roman Holiday" and put a REAL actress in the lead, like Emma Thompson?

WHY?!?!?

by Anonymousreply 2211/11/2012

She was sublime in A Nun's Story and Wait Until Dark.

by Anonymousreply 2311/11/2012

Mickey Mouse was not named for Mickey Rooney. Try again.

by Anonymousreply 2411/11/2012

Audrey Hepburn is still a respected actress in our day -- and always will be.

FYI: Check out The Nun's Story and Wait Until Dark.

by Anonymousreply 2511/11/2012

The New York Film Critics certainly thought so.

Best actress 1953 ROMAN HOLIDAY Best actress 1959 THE NUN'S STORY

But why wouldn't anyone respect Audrey Hepburn as an actress or as a movie star?

by Anonymousreply 2611/11/2012

"Why doesn't someone remake "Roman Holiday" and put a REAL actress in the lead, like Emma Thompson?

WHY?!?!?"

Because William Wyler's ROMAN HOLIDAY is perhaps the perfect romantic comedy film ever made with brilliant performances by everyone especially Hepburn.

And because the marvelous Emma Thompson would have been completely wrong for the part of Princess Anne when she was in her 20s. Let alone now. At 53!

But other than that, it's really a perfectly reasonable question.

by Anonymousreply 2711/11/2012

Who's Emma Thompson?

by Anonymousreply 2811/11/2012

She was definitely respected, IMHO not just because she was a very good actress, but because Hollywood saw her as "classy".

She was a European from a good family, and was Hollywood was run by yahoos who were easily impressed by a dancer's bearing and fluent French. These were the same people who thought of Marilyn Monroe was a common whore, or course.

by Anonymousreply 2911/11/2012

It has to be said that Audreys cockney accent in "My Fair Lady" was awful. Julie Andrews really should've been cast.

by Anonymousreply 3011/11/2012

I hope Emma Thompson's My Fair Lady never gets made. (Eat your heart out, Bitch!)

by Anonymousreply 3111/11/2012

Emma goes home to this every night, r31. I'm sure she will cope...

by Anonymousreply 3211/11/2012

I think many of the old screen Hollywood legends didn't have the acting chops of today's actors. Watching Philip Seymour Hoffman in The Master or Viola Davis in Fences is acting on it's highest level. None of the old screen legends were capable of giving those inspired performances.

by Anonymousreply 3311/11/2012

"None of the old screen legends were capable of giving those inspired performances."

Right. Anna Magnani, Vivien Leigh, Marlon Brando, Olivia de Havilland, Orson Welles, Greta Garbo, Deborah Kerr, Simone Signoret, Luise Rainer, Laurence Olivier, Barbara Stanwyck, Peter O'Toole, Richard Burton, James Dean, Spencer Tracy, Claudette Colbert, Rosalind Russell, Lilian Gish, Montgomery Clift.

These were all slouches.

AKA WHAT THE FUCK?

by Anonymousreply 3411/11/2012

Have to agree with R33. On the other hand, nobody today has that special charisma, do they? They were stars, now they're actors.

by Anonymousreply 3511/11/2012

[quote]I think many of the old screen Hollywood legends didn't have the acting chops of today's actors.

Viola and PSH aside, how many of today's "actors" and movie stars could not act their way out of a paper bag?

by Anonymousreply 3611/11/2012

She was very highly regarded. Odd you should ask. I am watching Charace on Netflix. I got curious about the little kid who played, well, the little kid. He grew up to be a highly regarded neurologist who lives not too far from me..

by Anonymousreply 3711/11/2012

She was the triumph of charm, looks, and personality over talent or range.

She wasn't a bad actress, but she was a major star. And she was smart enough to know that there were many better actresses around.

by Anonymousreply 3811/11/2012

She never won an emmy. Audrey didnt do any tv work i believe.

by Anonymousreply 3911/11/2012

She received an Emmy for her work on a show where she toured the great gardens of the globe. I don't recall the title of the show, but it aired for a couple of seasons on PBS.

by Anonymousreply 4011/11/2012

I find Audrey Hepburn fantastically twee. Twee is whimsy without wit. It is mimsy-mumsy sweetness without any kind of bite. And that's not for me. She can't sing and she can't really act, I'm afraid.

by Anonymousreply 4111/11/2012

I find Emma Thompson fantastically cunty. Cunty is bitchy without wit. It's spiteful maliciousness without any kind of humor. And that's not for me. She can't sing and can't really act, I'm afraid.

by Anonymousreply 4211/11/2012

R10 is full of hooey. Little Audrey was first introduced in the 40s when Audrey was still a teenager.

by Anonymousreply 4311/11/2012

You really can't compare actors from different eras.

Who's to say that if some of the great goldens (for lack of a better term) came of age today what kind of actors they would be? Just because being frequently OTT was required during their time, that doesn't mean they wouldn't have been capable of delivering a more naturalistic performance.

Talent is talent.

Conversely, many of the top stars of today may or may not have been able to make it back then.

by Anonymousreply 4411/11/2012

I can compare actors from different generations.

Claude Raines was a genius. Tom Cruise is talent-free.

Norma Shearer was embarrassingly bad. Michelle Williams is a great actress.

See. There I did it.

What I didn't do was generalize about the quality of acting in any particular era.

There has always been superb acting. There has always been bad acting.

But you all knew that.

by Anonymousreply 4511/12/2012

Many directors work in a different way with actors now than in the old Hollywood days. Actors are give more say in how they want to build their characters. Not to generalize, but actors were more like tools in a directors box - not necessary equal partners. I think alone this gives them more room for their performances and for intricate and sophisticated expression. Many old time directors were monsters.

by Anonymousreply 4611/12/2012

[quote]Well they named Mickey Mouse after Mickey Rooney and Mickey, at least in his time was cool.[/quote]

That's a story that's been told by Rooney himself, and suffice it to say should be taken with a grain of salt. The story, according to him, is that he was a child actor in silent films (true) and one day he stumbled upon Walt Disney on the Warner Bros. lot hard at work on a sketch of a mouse. He told Rooney it was his next character creation and that he was going to name him Mortimer Mouse. According to Rooney, he asked Disney, "Why don't you name him after me?" and Disney thought a moment and supposedly said, "Okay, I will." Raise your hand if you believe this story! For the record, Disney always claimed it was his wife who suggested the name Mickey over Mortimer.

Rooney has a tendency to put himself in historic of legendary situations. For example, he also claimed he came up with Marilyn Monroe's stage name when he befriended the young starlet.

by Anonymousreply 4711/12/2012

One of the best things about the old-school actors was their diction. Not only is it hard to hear what their saying now, but too many actors nowadays have lock-jaw: Candice Bergen was one of the first and then Jodie Foster, and on and on... They speak with clenched jaws and look so unnatural.

by Anonymousreply 4811/13/2012

Sorry - they're is what I meant, of course.

by Anonymousreply 4911/13/2012

That girl is single-handedly gonna make ba-zooms a thing of the past.

by Anonymousreply 5011/13/2012

She was great. Period. The end.

by Anonymousreply 5111/13/2012

"Audrey Hepburn" will never be a drag act. No man in the world could pull it off.

by Anonymousreply 5205/17/2014

Yes, of course.

by Anonymousreply 5305/17/2014

She said she remembers seeing Jews at the train station being put into cattle cars, a little boy in particular standing there waiting for his turn. Very sad.

by Anonymousreply 5405/17/2014

Yes, idiot OP, Audrey Hepburn was a respected actress in her day...or any other day. She was one of the most revered, beloved actresses of all time. She epitomized grace and glamour and stylishness. Why don't you know this? Are you that astoundingly culturally illiterate?

Next question you'll ask is "was Fred Astaire considered a good dancer?" Or "why was Marilyn Monroe considered good-looking? She was FAT!"

by Anonymousreply 5505/17/2014

She was fine within a fairly limited spectrum, but she was also known as a lovely human being and she is revered as much for that as for the better performances she gave.

by Anonymousreply 5605/17/2014

Acting wise, who is the closest modern day equivalent of Audrey?

I admit the first time I saw her was in a Gap commercial, but I was so captivated that it made me seek out every movie she had been in.

by Anonymousreply 5702/24/2015

[quote] She was the triumph of charm, looks, and personality over talent or range. She wasn't a bad actress, but she was a major star. And she was smart enough to know that there were many better actresses around.

This. I thoroughly enjoyed her but except for a few roles she was not that great an actor. Very overrated. Remembered for more than she was even her humanitarian work, admirable as it was, was quite limited and it was only for a few years at the end of her life. Still we'd all like to be Audrey, wouldn't we.

by Anonymousreply 5802/24/2015

Yes, very respected by everyone -- her peers, directors, audiences. And especially by the Academy who often turned to her to give out the top Oscars, Best Picture, Director, Actor. She was a combination of talent, glamour and public appeal that we just don't have anymore.

by Anonymousreply 5902/24/2015

"Limited" in modern terms usually means that a performer couldn't pull off a biopic of some tedious, unattractive historical figure." High-level acting in the modern sense means more or less that a performer can pull off a Rich Little level imitation in big budget surroundings.

Audrey was and is a goddess.

by Anonymousreply 6002/24/2015

I loved her in "How to Steal a Million" with Peter O'Toole.

Supporting actors were Hugh Griffith as her father, Charles Boyer as an art expert and Eli Wallach as an American millionaire.

William Wyler directed and a great score by the young John Williams.

Delightful, beautiful, great music and lovely shots of Paris.

Her pairing with O'Toole was wonderful, especially the scene where they were locked in a closet in a museum.

A lovely movie and lots of fun.

by Anonymousreply 6102/24/2015

How many men has banged her?

by Anonymousreply 6202/24/2015

R47 oh don't listen to that Rooney.

Walt Disney's own story is that when he was a poor struggling artist he had a mouse in his apartment. Rather than try to get rid of it he fed the little thing and it became his pet. He named it Mickey. He used to sketch Mickey and that's how Mickey Mouse came about.

by Anonymousreply 6302/24/2015

Watch Tom Cruise hold his own against Paul Newman in The Color of Money R45. He can be a good actor but as a megastar he just makes big films and big money now. Give him a good role and put him in the hands of a good director and I think we will see the actor in the star.

by Anonymousreply 6402/24/2015

Please don't sully a thread about Audrey Hepburn - a fine actress and human being, as others have mentioned - with the mention of a repulsive lizard like Tom Cruise.

by Anonymousreply 6502/24/2015

[quote]Charade

I love Charade, it's kind of underrated but she's great with Cary Grant in it. I love The Nun's Story, The Children's Hour, Funny Face and Roman Holiday too. I never could get into Sabrina. I might try that one again.

by Anonymousreply 6602/24/2015

"Repulsive lizard", heh heh.

by Anonymousreply 6702/24/2015

unfortunately no, she was considered the Elaine Davidson of the acting world

by Anonymousreply 6802/24/2015

If Audrey was alive during the internet days and all the gossip mavens some DLers would be calling her a slut for all the men she had affairs with, too skinny because she refused to eat, a fame whore for trying to distract from her whoring around by working with the UN and a hypocrite for living the high life while those around her starved. Oh, and a disgusting cougar for going after much younger men. Have I covered everything?

And, yes, she was a goddess but that didn't make her a great actress.

Being asked to hand out Oscars does not mean you are some hugely respected industry figure. Not now. Not then.

by Anonymousreply 6902/25/2015

Just look at Sabrina again.

by Anonymousreply 7002/25/2015
Need more help? Click Here.