Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Meet the Antigay Customers at Chick-fil-A

Get a load of these bigots including Pat Boone, who says some of his best friends are gay (he just disagrees with their "lifestyle:"

by Anonymousreply 13304/25/2013

Both the young white guy that read from Leviticus and the younger black guy at the end (who claims to have a transexual cousin) ping to high heaven.

by Anonymousreply 108/02/2012

With a ace that looks like a 200 year old Iguana, you have to ask why Pat Boone still dyes his hair.

by Anonymousreply 208/03/2012

With that video, you'd think that perhaps we stepped into a time warp machine heading backward years ago. But no, it was just yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 308/03/2012

Interesting that the more the Chick-Fil-A supporters talked the more they exposed their ignorance, prejudice and intolerance for the LGBT community.

by Anonymousreply 408/03/2012

But he's a LOVELY man, really!

by Anonymousreply 608/03/2012

Let's wait and see sales results next quarter, R7.

Bitch.

by Anonymousreply 808/03/2012

I disagree with Pat Boone's lifestyle of vanity, greed, avarice, worldliness, and judgment of his fellow man.

by Anonymousreply 908/03/2012

The guy who says that not only gays can eat Chick Fil A ... so can murderes, rapists, child molesters.....

Now there's a nice ad for them !!

by Anonymousreply 1008/03/2012

I doubt it, R7. Who is going to want to align themselves with these idiots? Chick-Del-A will be strictly flyover now.

And of course they're ignorant, R4? What else would they be?

by Anonymousreply 1108/03/2012

This says all that needs to be said: Friends of gays do NOT eat at Chick-Fil-A...

by Anonymousreply 1208/03/2012

What is Chick-Fil-A ? We dont have it here in England - obviously some cheap chicken takeaway place. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 1308/03/2012

The sight of all those flabby white arms is rather hypnotic.

by Anonymousreply 1508/03/2012

I LOVE that this gives people an excuse to feel good about themselves for getting fast food.

"I'm going to Chick-fil-A today to support freedom of speech. It's not because I weigh 300 pounds. I have principles, dammit!"

by Anonymousreply 1608/03/2012

Chick-Fil-A-Hate is aligning themselves with a declining demographic.

by Anonymousreply 1708/03/2012

r17, it might be a declining demographic (that is debateable because of much higher birth rates in this group), but it still a huge and very unified and organized demo.

by Anonymousreply 1908/03/2012

Meet the gay anti-gay...

by Anonymousreply 2008/03/2012

R19 look at the chart again. The people that oppose gay marriage are old. They have one foot in the grave and another on a bar of soap. In ten years most of them will be worm food.

by Anonymousreply 2108/03/2012

r21, there were a whole lot of young and non-old people proactively engaging in CFA Appreciation Day and writing pro-CFA things on FB and Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 2208/03/2012

I disagree with Pat's lifestyle...so will he change it?

by Anonymousreply 2308/03/2012

As for polling on gay marriage, we have good reason to doubt its accuracy at least when it comes to predicting how people vote on the issue (See 32 states and counting). This week, one marriage equality advocate opined that polls underestimate anti-gay marriage sentiment by about 10 percent in voter initiatives, which has meant all the difference in outcomes. Until we actually win a state same-sex marriage vote, there is no reason to believe mere opinion polls are accurate about voter sentiment.

by Anonymousreply 2408/03/2012

The poor workers...or maybe they needed the extra time? I'm sure the fuckhead owner pays no fulltime workers in his stores and no benefits.

In the end, his franchises will lose money. I think we all know that, even he knows it.

by Anonymousreply 2508/03/2012

R24 Well the good news is we are not going to have to wait that long.

by Anonymousreply 2608/03/2012

R24, you are right. I have never believed those polls ever reflected the reality of how people felt about same-sex marriage.

by Anonymousreply 2708/03/2012

Articles like the one at R18 puzzle me. There will always be people who despise you for being gay and there may even be a very high number of people who will always despise you for being gay. Stop focusing on being liked and focus on equal rights.

The Civil Rights Movement wasn't a "Oh like me, like me, please like me" movement it was about equal rights. Black people, Jews, and other people of color and religious minorities are fully aware that there will always be people who don't like them. It seems that many gays (who aren't of color, women, or religious minorities) fail to realize that. You will never progress to a point to where everybody likes you. So don't be surprise to see that so many people still despise you. You will lose that battle. You have no control over that.

by Anonymousreply 2808/03/2012

they'll all get type-II Diabetes

by Anonymousreply 2908/03/2012

Nonsense. Civil Rights were granted by the legislature. It never would have won a popular vote R28. Do not focus on equal rights, that gives no incentive to the voters. Focus on the lies they've been told by their religious "leaders," hypocrites and frauds to a man (and woman).

by Anonymousreply 3008/03/2012

A quarter-million facebook-likes can't be wrong.

I really want to print this out and nail it to the heads of every asshole that went out to Chick-Fil-A the other day.

by Anonymousreply 3108/03/2012

The article at r18 wasn't a plea to be liked, but a description and a take on the temperature of the situation, r28.

IMHO what hasn't been said is that the damage to CFA is pretty severe. Name one other brand that's strongly associated with a contentious political issue.

And I don't just mean a place that happens to donate to a particular cause (there are a few of those). I mean a brand where both customers AND boycotters alike associate buying the product with a political stance. There are none. Death knell imho.

CFA is the Anita Bryant of fast food. I'm sure she sold-out a few concerts after her whole shit storm, but after that no one wanted anything to do with her, even if they hated the queers.

[quote]who aren't of color, women, or religious minorities) fail to realize that. You will never progress to a point to where everybody like

Presuming what people think based on the color of their skin is racist btw. See if you can formulate an argument without doing that. Thnks.

by Anonymousreply 3208/03/2012

Just to clarify before this gets out of hand, there's 315 million americans and a couple hundred thousand showed up to CFA to show their support for bigotry. Americans are still moving in the right direction on our issues

by Anonymousreply 3308/03/2012

R28, the government and the courts need to step and do the right thing. Legalize gay marriage across the board. They did for every other group. A majority will never, ever vote in favor of a minority.

by Anonymousreply 3408/03/2012

We need to move on from this CFA thing. I totally understand and agree with our side but we didn't make our point well. Perhaps on Starbucks Appreciation Day we can make lines a lot longer. If not, we lose all around and the other side will be very emboldened this election.

We need to focus on rewarding companies for pro-gay policies and not on punishing companies for pro-religious policies. It's a no win situation for us.

Put the emotions aside, think about it and you will agree.

by Anonymousreply 3508/03/2012

R30, you pretty much proved my point.

"the staggering numbers of people who showed up is strong evidence that for all the progress we've made, a lot of the country still despises us"

R32, this quote clearly sounds like a person who thinks that progress means everybody likes you. What skin color are American Jews? Just curious. And apparrently, women and all religous minorities are non-white. Do you think a black person or a Jew would be shocked that a lot of the country despises them in spite of all their progress?

by Anonymousreply 3708/03/2012

Thank you, R34. That's extactly what I meant. This is not a popularity contest.

by Anonymousreply 3808/03/2012

Great idea for Starbucks Appreciation Day. The CFA matter has been a disaster for a side and given anti-gay forces not only photo ops showing huge crowds supporting their side, including lots of young people, but also perpetuated the meme that gay rights oppress religious rights and free speech. WE definitely need to move on to being positive.

by Anonymousreply 3908/03/2012

r34, unfortunately the courts are more skittish and politically motivated than ever. California's Supreme Court stuck their neck out, but the voters undid it, and when the CA Supreme Court thought about it again, they stuck with the political will of the people in the end. Iowa Supreme Court justices stuck their neck out, and guess what, the people impeached them, and now they have the anti-gay Court they voted in. SImilarly, many federal courts have talked about their reluctance to undo the will of the people as expresed in ballot initiatives and legislatures on this and other issues. Courts are paying attention to the backlash. They are not immune to politics and popular sentiment. Moreover, the more courts push ahead of the people, the more conservatives call for a constitutional amendment, or in the case of Congress, legislation to deprive federal courts of jurisdiction to decide gay marriage cases, which would be a disaster for our side. So in the end, the popular sentiment still is necessary to make progress.

by Anonymousreply 4008/03/2012

R38, it's disheartening to see people excited about hating a group of people, it's really sickening and makes me very depressed, but I understand that people will hate you regardless. There is so much hate in this world for black people, Jewish people, Arab people, you name it...the government needs to do it's job and simply protect gay people; give gay people full equality.

by Anonymousreply 4108/03/2012

R40, if rights of people were based on popular sentiment...black people would still be sitting at the back of the bus. If people start a revolution against the government over giving rights to gay people...America is doomed. And, I hope it is, because what a terrible, terrible country it is.

by Anonymousreply 4208/03/2012

r36, define mass support? There's millions of bigots in this country. Mitt Romney will get over 60 million votes. Millions support gay equality. Millions don't care either way. It's helpful to get a little perspective on these things before you declare CFA has mass support.

by Anonymousreply 4308/03/2012

R40 I thought the Cali court struck down Prop 8. In fact I just read that the Prop 8 supporters are taking their case to the SC.

by Anonymousreply 4408/03/2012

[quote]What skin color are American Jews?

Yeesh, r37. If I have to spell out every element of this simple point for you in sign language, I guess I will.

Presuming what someone thinks based on their race, religion, OR sex is retarded. Got it?

See if you can manage an argument without doing it Thnks!

"the staggering numbers of people who showed up is strong evidence that for all the progress we've made, a lot of the country still despises us"

This quote sounds like a statement of fact.

Fact. Despite progress, there are large numbers of people who don't like gays. It's a piece of a larger argument/description in the article, and it's a leap on your part to imagine that what the author means is "...and therefore the movement is failing in its primary objective of getting people to like us." That's your take. Perhaps if you didn't presume so much about what people think based on who they are, this wouldn't be such a problem for you?

by Anonymousreply 4508/03/2012

[quote]Millions support gay equality.

Link please.

by Anonymousreply 4608/03/2012

R41, they are just sick people who get some kind of pleasure out of seeing other people suffer. I feel like it's some kind of mental illness or mob mentality. And many of them were laughing and singing, I don't know if you saw that on the news but they were. Like I said, if you're an oppressed minority get used to being hated because you will always be hated. The goal is equality.

by Anonymousreply 4708/03/2012

r42, thankfully Black Civil Rights were at issue at a time before the expansion and reliance on voter initiatives to decide issues. Also, the Black Civil Rights movement had much more support from powerful religious groups. Further, the resistance to Civil Rights in the 60s was mostly confined to the South, whereas resistance to gay rights is significant nationwide. Finally, as many jurists and political scientists have noted, today's courts are more politically conscience and polarized than ever, and the backlash against judicial "activism" has made it even worse.

by Anonymousreply 4808/03/2012

I agree that we need to show support to companies and organizations that support us. We aren't going to convince the fundie/tea party/take back america crowd. Let's hope their way of thinking slowly dies away.

by Anonymousreply 4908/03/2012

r46. Most polls show support for gay equality in the US at about 50-50: half for, half against.

Even if you imagine that such polls are off by as much as 20-30 percent (and that's a stretch), that's STILL millions of supporters for gay equality.

by Anonymousreply 5008/03/2012

r44, the California Supreme Court initially found that a voter initiative that banned same-sex marriage (statutorily) was invalid under the CA Constitution. However, CA voters amended the state Constitution to ban same-sex marriage. Conservatives threatened to unseat any CA Justice who invalidated the voter amendment. And lo and behold, the CA Supreme Court said the people had spoken on the issue of same-sex marriage and they were not going to second guess them. Of course, the 9th Circuit said something different under the federal constitution, but there are serious doubts about whether the US Supreme Court will agree.

by Anonymousreply 5108/03/2012

I agree, R47 you will always be hated. This is reality. Accept it but don't move on, fight on.

by Anonymousreply 5208/03/2012

I meant today's courts are more politically CONSCIOUS.

by Anonymousreply 5308/03/2012

true r50, but that does not help us win and refute the embarrassing perfect losing record with voters everywhere it has been voted upon. 32-0 is a horrific record.

by Anonymousreply 5408/03/2012

R46 The survey chart that you dont trust shows millions support marriage equality. Even if the half the people that said they support it in reality dont (an unlikely possibility) that still would be millions of people.

Additionally, even in the elections where gay marriage lost, millions of people did vote for it none the less.

by Anonymousreply 5508/03/2012

r46, the latest Pew poll had it at 48% support from last week. What is 48% of 315 million? Besides prop 8 got over 6 million against so you're a moron.

by Anonymousreply 5608/03/2012

Somebody needs to take screen shots and upload the "faces of hate" for future generations.

by Anonymousreply 5708/03/2012

R50, after Chick A Filet, I have my doubts of true, factual support. You may be right, but I don't know.

by Anonymousreply 5808/03/2012

Welcome to the United Hates of America!

by Anonymousreply 5908/03/2012

[quote]32-0 is a horrific record.

Gays didn't take on the marriage fight because we sat around and said, "You know, this will be an easy sell. Everyone in the country will really like the idea right away. It will be incredibly popular." We took it on because it's just.

We'll keep fighting til we win. And if we never win we'll always be fighting. That's all there is to it. I'm prepared. You should be, too.

Despite the last couple days I think we're closer to victory than we ever have been. This latest flare-up is just a little running of the crazies in a slow news month before they try to haul them out for the actual race in November. Don't let it get you down that much. yeesh.

by Anonymousreply 6008/03/2012

How many Americans went hungry yesterday while these judgmental religious types stuffed their faces with chicken sandwiches?

by Anonymousreply 6108/03/2012

[quote] Most polls show support for gay equality in the US at about 50-50: half for, half against.

Gay equality or gay MARRIAGE equality?

I suspect it's more in our favor if we exclude the question of marriage. Of course that doesn't make any sense when we speak in terms of real equality.

But I've noticed many people hinting that their only opposition to gay marriage is that it is a polarizing issue, that it riles up larger numbers of people, than it would benefit, a "don't make waves" approach. And then there's just plain apathy

by Anonymousreply 6208/03/2012

R45, I see that you are just arguing in circles just to have something to argue about. The author clearly meant that he was surprised to see such a large number of people turn out for this event because he thought that the oppositions numbers had dwindled due to the gay rights movement's progress, meaning he thought fewer people hated gays. I don't need you to explain anything to me and you are wasting your time.

The fact that you think it's such a huge leap to conclude that a black person or a Jew (two groups who have been despised for centuries)wouldn't be surprised to know that many people in this country still despise them in spite of their progress, tells me that 1) you hate to be wrong and 2) you aren't qualified to have this discussion. So it ends here. But you can have the last word. I know you need it more than I do.

by Anonymousreply 6308/03/2012

R50 If you can discount the millions of people that have voted in support of gay marriage because tens of thousands of people that showed up at a fast food restaurant yesterday, then you are clearly you have made up your mind and no amount of facts will change that.

by Anonymousreply 6408/03/2012

I always read that "people are innately good". I am proven time and time again this is not true.

by Anonymousreply 6508/03/2012

r58, Chickfila only has 1600 locations, most of them in fundie areas.

The US has over 300 million people. It really doesn't take that many people to fill the Chickfilas.

There are probably more gay bars in this country than there are Chickfilas. They're often filled with people, but no one takes this as a sign of large-scale support for gay rights.

It's some depressing shit when people line up to show their hate. But don't let it get you down. Snap out of it. Keep fighting.

by Anonymousreply 6608/03/2012

BREAKING: Cops Called at Kiss-In Event

Drama at the Chick-fil-A same sex "Kiss-In" event in Hollywood ... TMZ has learned the chicken joint called police today claiming the MEDIA was harassing its employees.

Law enforcement sources tell us ... the Chick-fil-A staff wasn't bothered by the pro-gay marriage event taking place inside the restaurant, but felt the media was being too aggressive in trying to get commentary from Chick-fil-A employees.

Cops responded to the scene, but by the time officers arrived ... both sides had already reached some sort of truce.

In other words, they kissed and made up.

by Anonymousreply 6708/03/2012

[quoet] it's such a huge leap to conclude

It's a leap to conclude that ALL Jewish and black people think this, and all gay people don't, r63. Your take on the article is simple-minded, as is your assessment of people's beliefs based entirely on their minority status.

by Anonymousreply 6808/03/2012

R61, I was thinking about that yesterday.

Why don't these Christian assholes wait in line to volunteer at a hospital or a homeless shelter? There was nothing selfless about indulging in junk food.

You'd have to be an idiot thinking this is what Jesus would do. I heard people bragging about going for a second and third sandwich. Gluttonous pigs.

WTF kind of religious people are these?

by Anonymousreply 6908/03/2012

The USA has it's own peculiar brand of "christianity" whose adherents are some of the nastiest and greedy pieces of work who identify as god fearing on the planet.

They are now the symbol of the god that america trusts in and if they have the chance they'll kick gay people to the curb and you'll be happy to even be allowed to ride in the back of a bus.

Watch your backs.

by Anonymousreply 7008/03/2012

r64,

what in my post made you think I "discount the millions of people that have voted in support of gay marriage"? Maybe you meant another poster?

by Anonymousreply 7108/03/2012

R66, you're right.

by Anonymousreply 7208/03/2012

Apologies R71 That was meant for R58

by Anonymousreply 7308/03/2012

The young fellow who wrote the essay at the link provided by R20 seems very confused, and I mean that literally. He makes a couple of good points but also several really weird "points." It seems that the intelligent part of his brain and the good part of his heart are at war with the stupid/bad parts.

by Anonymousreply 7408/03/2012

What does the guy mean who says that polygamy has become a problem in Canada? That's not true at all. He sounds nuts.

by Anonymousreply 7508/03/2012

Photos

by Anonymousreply 7608/03/2012

No wonder the US is being left in the dust by secular nations... too many busybodies holding us back with their preoccupation with what people do sexually.

by Anonymousreply 7708/03/2012

Only in America could an anti-gay Restaurant have 1600 locations. That is sick and a sad reflection of what the USA is.

by Anonymousreply 7808/03/2012

From a comment: "The capacity to feel righteous sanctimony by [italic]buying something for yourself that you want[/italic] is a truly amazing spiritual development."

That's about all that needs to be said, honestly.

by Anonymousreply 7908/03/2012

On that day ignorance wasn't just bliss it also tasted like chicken.

by Anonymousreply 8008/03/2012

[quote]Why don't these Christian assholes wait in line to volunteer at a hospital or a homeless shelter?

What makes me angry is the use of the term 'Christian'. These people are not Christians. True followers of Christ would be following Jesus's message of tolerance, love and charity.

by Anonymousreply 8108/03/2012

This brouhaha has allowed fundie breeders a chance to passively fagbash. The same way they'll vote against the "pro-gay" Obama in Nov.

I honestly don't know how they contain their hatred. I walk past a straight couple and they will join hands, grow silent and just GLARE at me.

Maybe when football starts back up they'll be able to channel their aggression towards something else.

by Anonymousreply 8208/04/2012

[quote]Why don't these Christian assholes wait in line to volunteer at a hospital or a homeless shelter? There was nothing selfless about indulging in junk food. You'd have to be an idiot thinking this is what Jesus would do.

Because it's not REALLY about religion with these people. Sure they hide behind the bible and site it as their motivation, but their issues are much more personal. They have deep inner problems. I have never taken time out of my day to go and protest against something that has absolutely no affect on me. Why would I? It makes absolutely no sense. I try and put myself in their shoes trying to figure out what is going on in their heads, and I just cannot come up with anything. It's irrational.

by Anonymousreply 8308/04/2012

Last week, so-called YouTube sensation Antoine Dodson made it public that, unlike most in the gay community, he supports Chick-fil-A in the wake of Chick-fil-A President Dan Cathy’s radio interview remarks condemning gay marriage.

But on Birmingham, Ala. radio station 100 WAPI’s “The Matt Murphy Show” on Friday, Dodson elaborated on why he was going against the gay community and standing with those in support of Chick-fil-A.

“A lot of people from the gay community was actually telling me not to eat at Chick-fil-A and then you know, I started having these flashback because I started believing like, the gay community — we have went from being bullied to becoming bullies,” he said. “And I don’t think that that is fair because I’m like, aren’t we like in America, like we have freedom of speech. We have the freedom to put our money wherever we want to. That’s what America stands on. So how can we just go after this group, you know — go after this company so viciously because they don’t believe they have the same rights as us. I don’t think it’s fair and I’d don’t think it’s American.”

Dodson said that by staging such a protest, gays were feeding stereotypes about the gay community and pushing some people away.

“I grew up, and my family is like you know, ‘Yeah Antoine we don’t agree with your lifestyle, but we accept you. We love you and don’t try to push your lifestyle on someone else. You can scare them or they just don’t want to be around you,’” he said. “And I was always taught that.”

Dodson, who participated in the Chick-fil-A appreciation day, criticized the whole premise of the Chick-fil-A boycott and said that the boycott was doing little to champion the gay community’s cause.

Read more:

by Anonymousreply 8408/04/2012

Has Antoine Dodson become the leading voice of the gay community? I guess Rosie is too depressed and Ellen is too busy buying another house.

by Anonymousreply 8508/04/2012

Antoine Dodson is a stupid famewhore who should just fuck off. No-one cares what this useless douchebag thinks.

by Anonymousreply 8608/05/2012

Antoine belongs in that thread about gummy smiles. He is horrific to look at.

by Anonymousreply 8708/05/2012

[quote]I walk past a straight couple and they will join hands, grow silent and just GLARE at me.

Are you flaming?

by Anonymousreply 8808/05/2012

By BILL BARROW Associated Press ATLANTA August 3, 2012 (AP)

When President Barack Obama said same-sex couples should have the right to marry, it was national news for a few days before the presidential campaign and the country went back to business as usual.

Yet weeks after a fast-food executive doubled down on his opposition to gay marriage, debate rages on about equality, religious values and free speech. "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day" on Wednesday, with supporters flooding the chain's franchises around the country, was countered with "kiss-ins" by same-sex couples at assorted locations Friday, long after Chick-fil-A president Dan Cathy's initial comments to a religious publication touched off the clash.

That's an unusual amount of staying power for what initially looked like just another skirmish over a hot-button question.

Coursing throughout the conversations on social media, in letters to the editor and in long lines to buy chicken sandwiches is the sense among proud Southerners that the outcry over Cathy's comments smacks of regional stereotyping. When public officials in Boston, Philadelphia and Chicago tell a Southern icon such as Chick-fil-A that it's no longer welcome, and that Cathy should keep his opinions to himself, many in the Atlanta-based chain's home region hear more than a little northern condescension.

"Maybe the reaction is just because we're Southerners," said Rose Mason, who was lunching Friday at a Chick-fil-A in suburban Atlanta.

Mason, who described herself as Christian, said she grew up in New York City. Now, she said, "I deal with my sister telling me we're a little backward. People have this idea that we're just behind on everything. So they view anything we say through that (perception)." VIDEO: Activist plan to rally against the restaurant chief's anti-gay marriage stance. ABCNEWS.com View Full Size Opinions Are Free Range on Chick-fil-A Watch Video Chick-fil-A: Thousands Show Support Watch Video Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day Brings Out Fans Watch Video

Cathy, a devout Southern Baptist whose family has always been outspoken about its faith, sparked the controversy by telling the Baptist Press that he and his family-owned restaurant chain are "guilty as charged" for openly — and financially — supporting groups that advocate for "the biblical definition of a family unit." He later added that the United States is "inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage."

For Marci Alt, organizer of a protest Friday at a Chick-fil-A in the relatively liberal Atlanta suburb of Decatur, it's Cathy's financial backing of conservative groups such as the Family Research Council that takes the conversation beyond merely what he said.

"Dan Cathy has the same First Amendment rights that I do. If he doesn't want to agree with same-sex marriage, I understand that," she said.

"But when he puts a pen to paper and writes a check to an organization that is about to squash my equal rights, I have a problem with that."

Cathy's comments were in keeping with the tradition established by his father, Truett Cathy, who started the chain in 1967 and never allowed franchises to open on Sundays.

Beyond Friday's organized displays of affection, there were other signs that the furor still had legs. Police were investigating graffiti on the side of a Chick-fil-A restaurant in Torrance, Calif., that read "Tastes like hate" and had a painting of a cow, in reference to the chain's ubiquitous ads featuring cows encouraging people to eat poultry.

In Tucson, Ariz., an executive at a medical manufacturing company lost his job after filming himself verbally attacking a Chick-fil-A employee and posting the video online.

For William Klaus, a 26-year-old X-ray technician with traditional views on marriage, the debate starts at ends with Cathy's liberty to voice his beliefs.

"He said what he said. Freedom of speech. Bottom line," Klaus said at a Chick-fil-A in Jackson, Miss.

by Anonymousreply 8908/05/2012

So legally banning interracial couples is just supporting "traditional dating" right?

Amazing how bigotry hides under verbiage.

by Anonymousreply 9008/05/2012

R90 - Who was banned? Wild extrapolation much?

by Anonymousreply 9108/05/2012

Thank you, R92. I love logic. This country is in such a free fall of decline - to spend so much political capital on fringe matters, like what some bloated CEO says is just ludicrous. I'd like to know why Wall Street got away with the monkeyshines they did? Heads should be rolling - but no, we're worried about some fast food store's donations. It's like we live in bizarro world.

by Anonymousreply 9308/05/2012

Hi, y'all! Chick-Fil-A sponsored part of my tour!

by Anonymousreply 9408/05/2012

Gay equality is being used as a distraction tactic, often sponsored by 1 percenters like the Koch brothers. Many Americans are stupid enough to take the bait. The billionaires get off, the gay community gets pounded. The gay community comes under real and serious attacks and has to defend itself.

So gear up, stand up and stop pretending this is a trivial thing. It is not trivial for the gay community. It really causes problems and these bigots continue their bigotry in their everyday lives, now newly empowered and encouraged with sense of purpose.

by Anonymousreply 9508/05/2012

How's that going to happen, r95, when a lot of them won't come even out of the closet?

by Anonymousreply 9608/05/2012

[quote] Heads should be rolling - but no, we're worried about some fast food store's donations

damn right you should be worried . Those donations of millions of dollars to reverse gay rights, discriminate and exterminate gays in other parts of the world...and potentially and eventually here in the Kkkristian States of America.

Yeah, heads should roll over the billions in shafted bailouts too...

by Anonymousreply 9708/05/2012

R92, what's more important than a CEO of a popular fast food company who uses his millions in donations to openly support politicians who support anti-gay legations or to anti-gay political organizations, including the Family Research Council? God, some gays are really stupid.

by Anonymousreply 9808/05/2012

It is a given that anti-gay organizations saturate the web talk with statements engineered to dilute and trivialize the Gay fight for equality.....as seen on this thread.

Understand the tactics these people use. Flag them and move on.

by Anonymousreply 9908/05/2012

"Because it's not REALLY about religion with these people"

Amen. They use relgion as a tool of hate. Their biggest regret is that King James' minions didn't include burning "fags" at the stake along with so-called "witches" (a word that incidentally wasn't even invented at the time of Christ).

by Anonymousreply 10008/05/2012

Being against same sex marriage is almost a textbook definition of bigotry, r101. Bigotry is believing your own group is superior to others, regardless of evidence to the contrary. How do you justify opposing ssm, without relying on bigotry?

by Anonymousreply 10208/05/2012

Half of our population are bigots.

Not very hard to say at all, R101.

by Anonymousreply 10308/05/2012

[quote]Being against same-sex marriage is not necessarily bigoted

Yes. It is. Period.

by Anonymousreply 10408/05/2012

What gay CFA employees said went down during CFA appreciation day on Wednesday is proof enough that those who partook in CFA appreciation day was, for 90% of those people at least, a day to come together in their distaste and flat out hatred of the gay community, and liberals. These people hate LGBT citizens, they hate liberals, they hate anyone who is pro-gay. We need to understand this and plan our next steps as a community accordingly. Because dialogue isn't going to happen. These bigots are not going to change their minds, in fact, homophobes in America are probably as hardened as they have been since Lawrence and Texas in 2003. We are now officially in a complete social war and we as a community have to take a stand, and that means dudes like Antoine Dodson and others who want to justify bigotry need to either wake up or get the hell out of the way.

by Anonymousreply 10508/05/2012

It also is no longer tactically unwise to call the bigots out, r101. Look at the people in the Chik-Fil-A videos. They are their own cautionary fable.

by Anonymousreply 10608/05/2012

I think that the anti-Chick-fil-A moment misfired for the most part, but I gotta say that the somewhat conservative mainstream Democrat girls at work don't suggest going there for lunch anymore. If I were judging it entirely from my perspective I'd think that America totally turned its back on its beloved spicy chicken sandwiches.

by Anonymousreply 10708/05/2012

This essay isn't a misfire, and it came out of the controversy:

by Anonymousreply 10808/05/2012

We shall see, but I doubt calling half (or majority of current voters) the population bigots based upon their opposition to same-sex marriage is not tactically smart. For some, the label bigot has lost its potency, since to them it just seems like petty namecalling by people who disagree with them on an issue. In fact, I have heard many same-sex marriage supporters say the same and rebuke people for such namecalling. Further, for others, calling them or their friends and family bigots is not gonna help incline them closer to supporting gay marriages. It makes enemies out of people who were convertible.

by Anonymousreply 10908/05/2012

[quote]I doubt calling half (or majority of current voters) the population bigots based upon their opposition to same-sex marriage is not tactically smart.

Perhaps. But it is completely and totally true.

by Anonymousreply 11008/05/2012

This worked really well in favor of the community. The long term consequences for this company will be disastrous. All the PR money in the world will not turn this around now.

Chick-fil-a has been branded, in history, as "The Chicken Bigots Eat".

by Anonymousreply 11108/06/2012

[quote]the population bigots based upon their opposition to same-sex marriage is not tactically smart

Call it what it is. Call Nazis bigoted. Call segregationists bigoted. Call the gay haters bigoted.

In every case their power came from "there are more of us than there are of you, so you can't possibly call ALL of us bigoted. We're good Germans/southerners/ christians."

Beware of this imho.

by Anonymousreply 11208/06/2012

There's a follow-up post to the essay linked in R108 now... talking about the responses he got after that essay went viral. It's interesting:

by Anonymousreply 11308/06/2012

OMG! This photo has to be seen to be believed....

by Anonymousreply 11408/06/2012

Do I believe that gay marriage is for me, a guy with intimacy and commitment issues? No.

But still I fully support other people's choice to commit to the ones they love.

I don't support people who want to limit other people's rights in order to feel superior.

by Anonymousreply 11508/06/2012

You will find the bigots are not "uni-haters".

These types usually promote hatred against more than one group.

by Anonymousreply 11608/06/2012

New Yorkers want Chick-fil-A to stay in the city despite the controversy created by the fast-food chain owner's opposition to gay marriage, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released Tuesday.

The poll said 82 percent of city residents surveyed said Chick-fil-A owner Dan Cathy's criticism of same-sex nuptials should not affect the restaurant's ability to gain permits in the city. Despite support for the restaurant, the poll found that a key city opponent of the chain is their top pick for mayor.

About 29 percent of city residents would choose City Council Speaker Christine Quinn to succeed Bloomberg even as she has spearheaded an online petition and campaign that declares the chain unwelcome in New York City.

The poll also found that 83 percent didn't want public officials discouraging New Yorkers from patronizing the restaurant.

"New Yorkers may disagree with what you say, but they defend your right to sell chicken," Maurice Carroll, director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute, said in a statement.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg has said he wouldn't deny permits to Chick-fil-A, which has one location at a New York University dining hall, because that would violate free speech.

Robert Y. Shapiro, a political science professor at Columbia University, said the poll numbers don't surprise him, because New Yorkers tend to separate personal beliefs from government intervention in business matters.

"People are interpreting this as a generic free speech issue," he said of the poll.

Quinn and New Yorkers disagree on the restaurant chain, but she has maintained her popularity because of her recent wedding and other activism, Shapiro said.

"She has been visible on the political and personal front. People now are looking for cues and any information they can get on her," Quinn said.

by Anonymousreply 11708/16/2012

[quote] unless we are willing to say half of our population are bigots

yes, we are willing to acknowledge that nearly half of our population are bigots. Yes.

by Anonymousreply 11808/16/2012

New York City is not the Gay supportive spot it once was.

by Anonymousreply 11908/16/2012

If Lindsay came out, he'd be forgiven. Which is pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 12008/16/2012

The word bigot does get misused, but not in this case. If you think same-sex attraction is a bad thing, and that such people deserve less than you do, then yes, you are a bigot.

Unfortunately, the person who said it's not a wise tactic to use the word is probably correct. Some people like to be given the opportunity to change their mind without having to deal with the reality of how vile their previous position was. And they don't like to think of their currently bigoted friends and family in such a negative term either.

by Anonymousreply 12108/16/2012

As per Chick-fil-a defenders and alike. A bigot is someone who prevents them from attacking gays as it is their Christian right to attack gays.

by Anonymousreply 12208/17/2012

[quote] Some people like to be given the opportunity to change their mind without having to deal with the reality of how vile their previous position was

True. But I think most of these people just don't like having their bigoted views called out as bigoted. They actually want to hold on to bigoted views and think of them as lovely, traditional, Christian, common sense, what have you.

Along these lines, I've been thinking lately. It's very strange that we (gay people) will likely be the first minority to have to win rights at the ballot box, as a popularity contest (I don't hold out much hope that the federal government will step in and give us help, as it did for other minorities. Lip service, sure, but actual help? Remains to be seen. In many cases, as with DOMA, we're fighting the federal government itself.)

It really may come down to a state by state battle to undo anti-gay amendments. It will be a sort of PR battle for the rights themselves, something other minorities never had to do. Blacks appealed to the federal government: the Supreme Court and congress undid legal segregation in the states, even though most white southerners remained unconvinced and unsympathetic to black civil equality. It seems unlikely we'll get that sort of help. We have to convince our KKKers door-to-door. And of course George Wallace is insisting that we begin by kissing his ring and stop calling him a bigot.

by Anonymousreply 12308/17/2012

All of this fiberless fast food causes cancer.

Everyone know this, so if you still eat this shit I have no pity for you. Even worse, you have bad taste in food. You are too lazy to cook a decent meal, too lazy to fry up your own piece of chicken.

Anyone who thinks fast food is tasty has not eaten good food. We all come from different backrounds, so it's not a child's fault but hell, an adult can check out a cookbook from the library for free.

The only people who regularly eat fast food shit on the west coast are poor Mexicans who think it's some kind of treat, the mentally ill, homeless, or criminal types.

No one with an education eats that shit unless they already have cancer/chronic fatigue/clinical depression and they just can't manage to get to a supermarket.

When people bring in fast food to the office and undo the wrapper I want to fucking scream. Before that even, when they put their hand in the bag and it makes that crinkly sound I want to leave civilization for the woods. And then, when they open their big fucking mouths to bite into that "hambooger" they act like they are having an orgasm. It literally MAKES ME SICK. Assholes!

Who dates these people?

by Anonymousreply 12408/17/2012

r124, I couldn't agree with you more. Disgusting habit.

by Anonymousreply 12508/17/2012

And I see very expensive cars pulling out/into fast food shitholes.

Bentley's driving into Macdonald's, Porches going through the Jack in the Box, Escalades into the In and Out.

So it is NOT a matter of class or status, it is simply a matter of taste.

The poor in the south and midwest can cook up a storm but the louts in so cal with their high-end autos can't cook and have no appreciation for real food.

This is because they are rich dolts. Some jerks luck in to money and success. They do. It's an easy ride for them because they don't question the system, kiss major ass, and don't voice opinions.

They are rich louts.

by Anonymousreply 12608/17/2012

Hell, In and Out here in CA is just as religious a fast food joint as CFA, and everyone still buys their product. I&O has religious verse locations stamped on the bottom of their drink cups. I'm sure some of the principals of I&O contribute to anti-gay groups, they just keep it hushed up.

by Anonymousreply 12810/25/2012

R127, the anti-gay sales surge has been factored in. Wait for 2013...

R128, So does Ethel the Evil Evangelical, but not enough to do real damage. Chick-fil-a is 1600 times the size of that single restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 12910/25/2012

As Aziz Ansari said on Jimmy Kimmel last week, Chick-Fil-A is a big deal because people think their sandwiches are so delicious. They just don't want to give them up, no matter what. If it were Long John Silver, people would be heroic and give them up.

by Anonymousreply 13010/25/2012

Chick-fil-A

Last month, we reported that Chick-Fil-A was not hurt by its public stance against gay marriage, even experiencing growth. A new survey by Market Force shows the chain edging out Raising Cane’s – a regional chain native to the more deep-fried regions of the country that a friend in the South described to me as an In-n-Out for chicken fingers.

As pointed out by astute commenter Chris Scialabba on that post, perhaps the anti-gay marriage stance taken by Chick-Fil-A President Dan Cathy was a clever marketing ploy leveraging the conservative demographics of the locales where the restaurant is most built out. Or, per commenter Andrew M., they also might be experiencing the natural revenue growth of constant expansion. Anecdotally, I’ve definitely noticed them popping up all over previously-barren California. While Chick-Fil-A’s fried poultry empire may be assuming dominance, the healthy variety of competition listed below should reassure those of you boycotting the chain for political reasons.

by Anonymousreply 13111/14/2012

How is CFA doing with sales now?

by Anonymousreply 13212/18/2012

This from the "you're fucking kidding me?" department:

Want to go on a medieval-themed date with your mom?

If so, Chick-fil-A has just the event for you.

Chick-fil-A’s Ballston mall and Crystal City locations, along with the chain’s 49 other D.C. area restaurants, are hosting a “Date Knight” for mothers and sons from 4:30 to 8:30 p.m. on Monday, May 6.

“During this special medieval-themed evening, moms and their sons are encouraged to spend some time together while they enjoy dinner, great conversation and several special activities,” the company said in a press release. “Every Mother-Son pair will also receive a place mat with fun questions and topics to get the conversation started, and a take-home booklet that provides ideas for future dates and questions that both moms and their sons can ask each other.”

The “special activities” are free, but diners still have to pay for the food.

“One of Chick-fil-A’s goals is to promote community connections and enrich the lives of everyone we come in contact with,” Erik Amick, a Chick-fil-A franchise operator, said in a statement. “We understand the importance of mother-son relationships and want to encourage area moms to come to Chick-fil-A, enjoy their son’s company over a meal and have fun!”

Interested customers can make “Date Knight” reservations online. Currently, the Ballston Chick-fil-A has 53 reservations available, while Crystal City has 49 reservations remaining.

by Anonymousreply 13304/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.