Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Any other diabetics on here?

We could share support, recipes and tips for keeping sugar under control.

Or we could exchange nasty comments.

Up to you.

by Anonymousreply 2401/07/2013

I would never post on a gay site, OP. And neither would any of my fellow dianetics!

by Anonymousreply 108/02/2012

Yes. But be prepared to be called a loser and Fatty MacFatterson by the twinks here.

by Anonymousreply 208/02/2012

To the moon, tommy, to the moon.

by Anonymousreply 308/02/2012

Oh please- just cut down on the carbs, butter and sugar-eat chicken, fish, and veggies and fruits, read labels- fuck the recipes

by Anonymousreply 408/02/2012

Fuck R4 as well. Sometimes it takes a bit of work to get those foods tasty...there is nothing wrong with sharing.

by Anonymousreply 508/02/2012

I am working on my band. Tentative title: Angry Diabetic.

Second place bandname: Skinny Diabetic.

by Anonymousreply 608/02/2012

I'm sure there are a ton of fat diabetics here.

by Anonymousreply 708/02/2012

skinny diabetic here - no bread, no desserts -

protein and good carbs. that's it.

by Anonymousreply 808/03/2012

Type I diabetic for almost 40 years. I've never been overweight, only side effects have been cardiac surgery last year and some slight neuropathy / retinopathy as well as some slow healing, kidneys are fine.

by Anonymousreply 908/03/2012

What kind of recipes are you looking for, OP? Desserts, meats, vegetables, drinks? Or maybe you have a favorite dish you're looking to make more blood glucose-friendly? Just let us know so we can get a better idea of how to help.

by Anonymousreply 1008/04/2012

R10 here is one that is a problem.

I LOVE pasta and despise the whole wheat (which affects my blood sugar just like white anyway).

Pasta help please.

by Anonymousreply 1108/04/2012

See if you can rice pasta. I've found it actually tastes much better than wheat. Also helps if you have celiac disease and are looking for gluten-free products.

by Anonymousreply 1208/04/2012

I've tried rice pasta. I think it's pretty horrid, but I am glad you like it. In addition it has 43 grams of carb per serving so is no better than wheat pasta.

by Anonymousreply 1308/04/2012

Have you tried Dreamfields low carb pasta? I believe that I have bought it in the past but I can't remember how it tasted.

Acceptable tasting pasta that has fewer carbs than the regular stuff is difficult to find. Even the Barilla Plus protein pasta has 38 grams per serving -- and a serving is not that big.

I know that it is not the same, but I've found spaghetti squash to be a decent alternative. Yeah, it is not pasta. I got that. But, if you doctor it up with some good tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese, it is somewhat close.

by Anonymousreply 1408/04/2012

Dreamfields is not low carb at all. They make a claim that is is low 'net' carb. It has exactly the same impact on blood sugar as regular.

by Anonymousreply 1508/04/2012

Dreamfields claims it is coated with something that makes it indigestible, but I didn't see any intact spaghetti strands in my No. 2!

by Anonymousreply 1608/04/2012

Dreamfields lies.

by Anonymousreply 1708/04/2012

Dreamfields? Dreamfields? Now when did I eat Dreamfields??

by Anonymousreply 1808/04/2012

The diabetes nurse educator I went to said to stay away from white rice. It's processed into sugar so fast by your body you might as well be eating sugar cubes.

by Anonymousreply 1908/04/2012

Mmmmm, sugar cubes.

by Anonymousreply 2008/05/2012

I am a diabetic and yes, R19 rice (including brown rice which is high on the glycemic index) tends to cause a rise in my blood sugar. Milk is also something I have to watch how much I drink since it is so high in lactose (milk sugar).

In my attempts to get proper control of my blood sugar levels, I've discovered that having no carbs at all doesn't work. My blood sugars only rose more -- similar to what they did if I overdid the carbs. It's really a balancing game and only through testing my sugars two hours after meals/snacks have I learned how many carbs my body needs to keep good control of my blood sugars.

Everyone is different, but regular testing by self-monitoring your blood sugar levels plus an A1C lab test every three months or so can help you get your diabetes under better control.

I had a terrible A1C of 12 and through experimenting with different foods in different amounts, my last A1C was 6.5.

Some of the things I did was to have a half piece of fruit with a small amount of protein (eg. half apple with piece of cheese or half banana with dab of peanut butter)rather than a whole piece of fruit as a snack. I found I could handle two slices of bread in a sandwich, but if I was to add fruit or another carb, it would be better to have an open-faced sandwich with only one slice of bread.

I also eat small meals every 4-5 hours instead of large meals that will usually have far too many carbs (and yes too many fats and calories too).

Oatmeal and cinnamon to sweeten it is a great alternative to ready made cereals. I don't necessarily even use milk. The combination of milk plus commercial cereal skyrockets my sugars, plus whole oats (not quick) is healthier.

If you like peanutbutter cookies, omit the sugar from the recipe and just use the egg. I also add some pure vanilla extract for more flavor.

by Anonymousreply 2108/05/2012

In the past year i've developed pretty bad neuropathy in both my feet. My sugars aren't outrageous and my A1C is 7.1 - the numbness I can deal with, but the soreness and pain are sometimes unbearable. I've been on Lyrica, Cymbalta, Metanax and Meloxicam - none have helped. Anyone else had this problem? Thanks

by Anonymousreply 2208/06/2012

I ate grilled salmon, a sweet potato and steamed spinach for dinner at 8:00. My fasting blood sugar at 7:00AM was 239. Those foods are not high in carbs, why was it so high?

by Anonymousreply 2301/04/2013

What was your sugar before dinner? How much insulin did you take? Do you take a nighttime insulin?

Sweet potatoes have a lot of carbs.

by Anonymousreply 2401/07/2013
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!