Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Florence + the Machine

Who are they? Where'd they come from? Im mezmerized by her video for 'Spectrum.' with the colors, the movement, and the HOT dancer guys. Am I correct that the song has no melody or chorus? Can't make out a word she's saying, but just bought it on itunes, so I guess I love it.

but why???? (besides hot dancer guys, no need to explain that) what makes this song work? Is this representative of her style?

by Anonymousreply 3211/13/2012

Please, guardians of cultural standards, spare me nothing. Tell me I don't understand the new esthetic, curse me, shame me, only, please, educate me on what I'm listening to and responding to while knowing it's breaking some sort of mold. Teach me! (not about the hot guys with their dancer bodies; I figure I've got that one covered)

by Anonymousreply 107/30/2012

I like them. They remind me of a more consumer friendly Siouxsie and the Banshees.

by Anonymousreply 207/30/2012

Flo 'n' her band were on SNL last winter. First I'd heard of her or them. Was not impressed. Won't bother in the future. Not looking for new music.

by Anonymousreply 307/30/2012

There's no band. It's just Florence Welch. Like there are no 'Diamonds' in 'Marina and the Diamonds'.

I like only one or two songs per album from her. (Cosmic Love, Hurricane Drunk from Lungs and No Light No Light, Strangeness and Charm, and Bedroom Hymns from Ceremonials). But I do give her credit for being a fantastic singer in live concerts. There's a live version of Strangeness and Charm that I think is even better than the album version.

by Anonymousreply 407/30/2012

She's like Adele, good mainstream pop music. But the Brit press keep trying to promote her as this great idiosyncratic indie chick, which is really far off the mark.

She is a good mainstream pop signer, and that's great.

by Anonymousreply 507/30/2012

r4 here. ooops, according to wikipedia Florence and the Machine is indeed a group with Florence Welch as front woman.

by Anonymousreply 607/30/2012

What's with the old-lady-name popularity? Adele. Florence.

Next up: Agatha.

by Anonymousreply 707/30/2012

Pop music doesn't get better than this.

by Anonymousreply 807/30/2012

You are not alone R4 and I considered adding a post to say the same thing, but you beat me to it.

I wonder why or how we got the idea that the name just referred to her. It's been two years or so now that I've been wrong about that.

by Anonymousreply 907/30/2012

Fucking hate her wailing and nothing songs and kooky fashion choices and lurid red hair.

by Anonymousreply 1007/30/2012

OP, one can only assume you just awoke from a 6 year coma. How was it?

by Anonymousreply 1107/30/2012

Sometimes it seems she is a more poppy, less intimidating, easily accessible version of Tori Amos or Polly Harvey.

by Anonymousreply 1207/30/2012

She kind of reminds me of early Kate Bush, when Kate was still weird.

by Anonymousreply 1307/30/2012

She's like a more pretentious Selena Gomez & The Scene. Except Florence sings everything the SAME EXACT WAY.

by Anonymousreply 1407/30/2012

What induced the long sleep, Miss Van Winkle?

by Anonymousreply 1507/30/2012

I agree, R8. I love that song, and in general like her a lot.

by Anonymousreply 1607/30/2012

It never ceases to amaze me how ill-informed about music the vast majority of you are.

by Anonymousreply 1707/30/2012

[quote]What's with the old-lady-name popularity? Adele. Florence.

I remember thinking the same back when Estelle was popular a couple years ago. Whatever happened to her anyway.

by Anonymousreply 1807/30/2012

Well smell you, missy. Why don't you enlighten us?

by Anonymousreply 1907/30/2012

[quote]Why don't you enlighten us?

Because no one here listens.

by Anonymousreply 2007/30/2012

Happiness hit her, like a Bullet in the BACK

by Anonymousreply 2107/30/2012

I don't get her caterwauling, it's all been done before and by better singers...Grace Slick, Julie Driscoll and, yes, even Siousxie Sioux.

The way Florence Welch was promoted last year, I wanted to vomit, she was all over the fashion magazines as if she was some great iconic beauty, meanwhile she's supposedly in her mid 20s but LOOKS about 45! I cannot believe this woman is in her 20s!

There will always be a hype machine out there promoting mediocre people as super talented. It's up to the public whether or not they want to buy into all the hype.

by Anonymousreply 2207/30/2012

I thought this was about Marla Gibbs of The Jeffersons fame endorsing a washing machine and doing television commercials about it!

by Anonymousreply 2307/30/2012

Well she's Ok for the boring mainstream set, but she is hardly compares the the real brilliance of Neko Case or Cat Power.

by Anonymousreply 2407/30/2012

Here is a cover of her doing Drake and Rhianna's "Take Care". She slays it! She is doing it live!

by Anonymousreply 2507/30/2012

Sorry, hopefully this is the right link

by Anonymousreply 2607/30/2012

One of my favourite songs.

by Anonymousreply 2707/30/2012

R24 cannot post on any music thread without inserting those two names somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 2807/30/2012

I know r28, it really annoys some mainstream boring people, but don't be hating.

by Anonymousreply 2907/30/2012

It's the monotony of the posts (are they auto-generated?) that irritates, not the names.

by Anonymousreply 3007/30/2012

she's tone deaf, can't sing and is fugly

by Anonymousreply 3107/30/2012

How and why does anyone like this group? Florence CANNOT FUCKING SING. Maybe all the tone-deaf listeners like her because they fantasize that they too could make it in the business despite not having any vocal ability? Every song I've heard by them is quite pitchy and off-key. Florence is even worse live. The band is fine but Florene is the problem. Luckily she's not a star in the US, though the industry bigwigs keep trying to make her happen here. She seems to be mostly a big deal in Europe and Australia...

Kate Bush sucked too btw.

by Anonymousreply 3211/13/2012
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!