Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Why is Hope Solo such a raging bitch?

Solo called out analyst Brandi Chastain after the U.S. women's national team beat Colombia 3-0 to advance to the Olympics quarterfinals.

Solo tweeted: "Lay off commentating about defending and gking until you get more educated @brandichastain the game has changed from a decade ago."

by Anonymousreply 19511/27/2014

Daddy died in prison or something country and western like that.

by Anonymousreply 107/28/2012

Hope Solo has cuntface.

by Anonymousreply 207/28/2012

dang

by Anonymousreply 307/28/2012

At one point, Chastain pointed out that a defender's responsibilities are: "Defend. Win the ball. And then keep possession. And that's something that Rachel Buehler actually needs to, I think, improve on in this tournament."

After the game, Solo rattled off four tweets about Chastain. Among them: "Its 2 bad we cant have commentators who better represents the team&knows more about the game."

Solo also told Chastain to "lay off commentating about defending" and goalkeeping "until you get more educated" and "the game has changed from a decade ago."

"I feel bad 4 our fans that have 2 push mute," tweeted Solo, adding that she likes NBC soccer announcer Arlo White.

Chastain is one of the top all-time defenders for the U.S. team. She played in 192 international games from 1988-2004 and is best known for taking off her jersey to celebrate the decisive penalty kick in the landmark shootout victory over China in the World Cup final at the Rose Bowl in 1999.

A spokesman for NBC said the network would have no comment and that Chastain was unavailable for comment. A spokesman for the U.S. team also declined comment and said Solo would address the matter the next time she meets with reporters. He said Solo would not be made available Sunday.

Solo is one of the most outspoken players on the U.S. team. She was essentially kicked off the squad at the 2007 World Cup and sent home from China separately from the rest of the players after she criticized coach Greg Ryan for benching her for the semifinals.

by Anonymousreply 407/29/2012

A little too much "T".

by Anonymousreply 507/29/2012

Because her pa, Han, slapped the shit outta her when she was a kid.

by Anonymousreply 607/29/2012

Morgan James in Hope Solo: The Musical!!

by Anonymousreply 707/29/2012

You would be too if you were frozen alive in carbonite!

by Anonymousreply 807/29/2012

I would knock her teeth out if she spoke to me like that

by Anonymousreply 907/29/2012

I read that she tweeted so soon after the game that it was almost impossible for her to have heard what Chastain said during the game. The tweets left people scratching their heads and they had to review the match tape to figure out what could have set her off. Someone probably texted her skewed information and she was off to the races, blah, blah, blah. News agencies left messages which haven't been returned.

The Federation is trying to come up with damage control strategy. About a month ago Solo got a negative drug test for a diruetic that was in some PMS medication prescribed by an MD. Chastain made some comments that were true and needed to be said, but she went overboard. How to get out of this without giving the appearance that the team is having catfights a la 2007 will be important.

She also has a book out, so there's speculation that she's starting the promotion now.

by Anonymousreply 1007/29/2012

i love her, and she is right about chastain, who has an obvious chip on her shoulder that HER era 'dream team' (with Mia Hamm et al) never rose to Hope Solo or Abby Wambach's level of fame.

by Anonymousreply 1107/29/2012

Solo is a drama queen with rage issues.

She's also obviously using some kind of supplements - she looks decidedly more masculine and beetle-browed than she did 4 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 1207/29/2012

[quote] After the game, Solo rattled off four tweets about Chastain. Among them: "Its 2 bad we cant have commentators who better represents the team&knows more about the game."

[quote] Solo also told Chastain to "lay off commentating about defending" and goalkeeping "until you get more educated" and "the game has changed from a decade ago."

Someone needs to get an education. But it isn't Brandi Chastain. This solo person is an ignorant bitch. I hope she fucks up in front of the world

by Anonymousreply 1307/29/2012

Love her.

by Anonymousreply 1407/29/2012

brandi chastain is annoying as all get out.

by Anonymousreply 1507/29/2012

And if Hope was a man, I think she would get at least half for blowback every time she speaks her mind.

by Anonymousreply 1607/29/2012

She should have at least waited to hear what Chastain said to vent her spleen, but she has a book to sell so appearing rational might not be her objective now.

by Anonymousreply 1707/29/2012

It's just obnoxious that Hope Solo's twitter tantrum takes attention away from Abby Wambach's courage and awesomeness after she got totally clocked and came back to score a goal.

by Anonymousreply 1807/29/2012

I like this Hope Solo person.

by Anonymousreply 1907/29/2012

hope's 'twitter tantrum' did no such thing, r18. Abby's a beast (in the good sense of that word) and Hope tweeting about chastain to hope solo fans has nothing to do with Wambach's bravery.

Don't be an ass. It's not an either/or thing. Some of us can be fans of more than one popular player.

by Anonymousreply 2007/29/2012

[quote] she is right about chastain, who has an obvious chip on her shoulder that HER era 'dream team' (with Mia Hamm et al) never rose to Hope Solo or Abby Wambach's level of fame.

R11 - You have to be joking. Solo and Wambach have achieved very little, including in terms of fame, compared to the players from the 1996 Olympic team.

by Anonymousreply 2107/29/2012

Whatever. YOU must be 40-plus and unable to see how great the current national team is, not just Hope and Abby but the rest.

by Anonymousreply 2207/29/2012

Megan!

by Anonymousreply 2307/29/2012

Team Hope

by Anonymousreply 2407/29/2012

lulz, this is gonna be good!

by Anonymousreply 2707/29/2012

What's this Team Hope bs? She's a phenomenal goalkeeper but has proven time and again that she's a loose canon with her opinions. Brandi is an employee of NBC, and it's their job to give her feedback if they're unhappy with her commentary. Sports analysts always have boosters and detractors. By taking her personal beef with Brandi public through twitter Hope only shows herself up as a liability. Nobody on the team needs the distraction of a manufactured controversy when they're in the middle of the Olympics.

by Anonymousreply 2807/29/2012

Solo has tard face.

It's no biggie; male soccer players get into bitch fights nastier than that all the time.

by Anonymousreply 2907/29/2012

because she is a woman

by Anonymousreply 3007/29/2012

White trash cretin.

by Anonymousreply 3107/29/2012

NBC's coverage has sucked.

by Anonymousreply 3207/30/2012

Sally Jenkins of the Washington Post weighs in, and not in Solo's favor. I actually don't think Brandi is guilt-free, because she scolded Hope in the press about her minor drug test incident last month. There's been bad blood between them since the Scurry incident at the 2007 World Cup, and Brandi should be mature enough to take the high road. That said, Hope seems to think that any publicity will help sell her forthcoming book. I suspect she's miscalculating on that one.

by Anonymousreply 3307/30/2012

what the fuck are you talking about r25?

by Anonymousreply 3407/30/2012

Hope Solo was conceived in Walla Walla State Penitentiary, during a conjugal visit -- that's what she reveals in her new book. Class. Real class.

by Anonymousreply 3607/30/2012

Hope was saying that the game has changed since Brandi played.

by Anonymousreply 3707/30/2012

r37, Hope wasn't saying anything other than she doesn't like Chastain and she wants the world to know it.

by Anonymousreply 3807/30/2012

They should kick her off the team and send her home.

by Anonymousreply 3907/30/2012

What moved Solo to make an idiotic statement like that, R37? Brandi retired from national play what, 6 or 7 years ago? How could soccer have changed in that amount of time? The women's game has improved somewhat internationally, but not the fundamentals. She criticized Brandi for saying a defender who had turned over the ball needed to get better at retaining possession. What a shocking, new concept!

Some people are legitimately annoyed by Brandi's broadcast style, but to say she's tactically or technically ignorant is ridiculous. She's known as one of the true soccer nuts of any generation, a fan and student of the international men's game. Hope just makes herself look ignorant with that line of criticism.

by Anonymousreply 4007/30/2012

and again

by Anonymousreply 4107/30/2012

Chastain is an annoying commentator.

by Anonymousreply 4207/30/2012

I'm with r35. Hope appears like a spolied brat w/her dumb tweets - the game of soccer has not changed since 1996. Take twitter away from the players and have them focus on the freakin' games.

by Anonymousreply 4307/30/2012

Chastain has won a few World Cup titles and Solo has...none. So Solo needs to shut her mouth, be professional, and let Chastain or any other commentator say whatever she wants, and just keep the goals out of the net.

I started to warm to Solo after this last World Cup but then she was a spoiled brat on Dancing With the Stars and recently went on her anti-Brandi rant. Has she ever heard of just shutting her mouth and letting things go? So immature.

by Anonymousreply 4407/30/2012

I think this is really what got solo pissed.

It’s news that they don’t need,” Chastain told Larry Brown Sports. “As athletes, we have to be more careful. Whether you’ve been told one time something is OK, it’s always good to double and triple and quadruple check. Something as innocuous as a cold medication to clear up the sniffles could derail not only you as an individual, but perhaps a whole team.

“I was disappointed that it came up because for as careful as I think everybody is, I think we could all go without some medication for a short amount of time and not suffer too greatly,” she said.

by Anonymousreply 4507/30/2012

well shoot - don't take any f-ing meds that are suspect around testing time. As far as I know PMS is not life threatening.

by Anonymousreply 4607/30/2012

[quote] As far as I know PMS is not life threatening

But perhaps PMS provides the answer to OP's thread title!

by Anonymousreply 4707/30/2012

Chastain has been goading Solo for years now. Constantly being critical of her. Constantly comparing her (and the rest of the team) unfavorably (and erroneously therefore) to the 90s team.

It's like she's been on a personal mission to tear her down whenever she gets a chance, which, since she's often the color commentator during matches, is a lot.

Solo is young. And hot-tempered. So what?

She's the best female goalie of all time, and she's dynamic and attractive to advertisers.

Chastain is the spoiled brat in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 4807/30/2012

OK i take back the young part. She turned 31 today, so she's not young by soccer terms. But still. I can't stand Brandi C. She is SOOO critical of all the current players.

by Anonymousreply 4907/30/2012

Solo needs to learn from Wambach who just goes about her business and doesn't take things personally. I really want the US to choose a different goalie after the Olympics. Their coach will be leaving them soon after and maybe Solo will do the same.

by Anonymousreply 5007/30/2012

R48, That's really hyperbolic. A lot of the old guard were upset when Solo criticized the coach for putting Scurry in goal in 2007. That was partly solidarity with their old teammate, and partly horror at a player going so publicly off on another player and a coaching decision. Solo was disciplined for that one, but she's earned a reputation as a loose cannon and this latest episode didn't help her.

Chastain doesn't have the platform to "constantly" criticize Hope or anyone else. Where is this constant criticism you're citing? There may be little love lost between the two women, but if so it's expressed in private, as is appropriate.

by Anonymousreply 5107/30/2012

R50, Solo is by far the best keeper the team has. There are some promising youngsters at the U-23/semipro level, but they're a long distance from Solo's skill. Like Bianca Henninger, who was the top 2012 graduating GK and drafted by the defunct Philly WPS team, and is playing for the U23's and semipro now. Who would you like to see replace Solo in the near future? It will be years before anyone else can challenge her. Solo just needs to be more professional off the field.

by Anonymousreply 5207/30/2012

I really cut Solo a lot of slack about the 2007 incident because what she said was essentially true. Greg Ryan was an idiot coach who deserved every bit of criticism thrown his way (FFS, the man would train defenders, midfielders and forwards separately and scrimmage the entire team infrequently which shocked the old-timers). My issue with what she said is that she tore down a teammate unfairly.

She behaved immaturely on DWTS, but I attributed that to her partner who had a reputation for being a prick.

This, however, is inexcusable. This tournament isn't about her, but she is making it about her. That can be damaging to team unity and the "bubble" that Pia and Abby referred to.

by Anonymousreply 5307/30/2012

[quote]hope's 'twitter tantrum' did no such thing, [R18]. Abby's a beast (in the good sense of that word) and Hope tweeting about chastain to hope solo fans has nothing to do with Wambach's bravery.

R18 said that Solo's tweets [italic]detracted attention from Wambach[/italic]. It sure did. We and those who follow football are talking an awful lot more about the tweets than we are about the performance, cool head and good sportsmanship she demonstrated.

by Anonymousreply 5407/30/2012

zzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 5507/30/2012

MANCHESTER, England (AP) — U.S. women's soccer goalkeeper Hope Solo didn't back down Monday from her Twitter outburst against NBC analyst Brandi Chastain, saying the tweets were her way of expressing her opinion about the quality of television announcers.

Solo addressed the matter briefly on her 31st birthday during the team's tour of historic Old Trafford stadium, where the Americans will play North Korea on Tuesday. She didn't apologize or express regret, and she answered only one question about the matter, declining to address, among other things, whether a social media rant in the middle of the Olympics was the proper time and means to convey her feelings about broadcasters.

"It's not about what made me unhappy," Solo said. "It's not about one game. I have my beliefs that the best commentators and the best analysts should be analyzing come Olympics, come World Cups, and it's only my opinion. You can take it or leave it, to be honest, so it's my opinion, and I think analysts and commentators should bring energy and excitement and passion for the game, and a lot of knowledge, and I think it's important to help build the game, and I don't think Brandi has that.

by Anonymousreply 5707/30/2012

I think I like this Solo woman. Doesn't apologize for her opinions. LOVE IT!

by Anonymousreply 5807/30/2012

Then buy my book, R58! Only $16.49, available for pre-order at Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 5907/30/2012

[quote]I think analysts and commentators should bring energy and excitement and passion for the game, and a lot of knowledge, and I think it's important to help build the game, and I don't think Brandi has that.

Does Hope Solo sit down and review the tape of every game broadcast to determine the quality of the game commentary? Really? FFS, go listen to Tommy Smyth if you want to hear bad.

She should hold on to her belief and not back down if it's what she believes, but please what a fucking lame rationale. She didn't even hear the game commentary she tweeted about! I suppose it's better than admitting to a personal vendetta. That would acutally look petty.

by Anonymousreply 6007/30/2012

We're looking for a reality show for her.

by Anonymousreply 6107/30/2012

I just want to see Julie, Mia, Brandi,Lily, etc. surround Solo and tape her mouth shut for the remainder of the Olympics.

by Anonymousreply 6207/30/2012

whatevs, grandma.

by Anonymousreply 6307/31/2012

[quote]“I was disappointed that it came up because for as careful as I think everybody is, I think we could all go without some medication for a short amount of time and not suffer too greatly,” she said.

Oh no she didn't! Bitch does NOT want me off my meds, because I will seriously cut a bitch!

by Anonymousreply 6407/31/2012

She's straight, but not narrow. :>

She seems angry because she doesn't sugarcoat. She speaks her mind.

Some people, like me, find it refreshing. And for a while now, when I watch and listen to Brandi Chastain, *before* Hope said anything about her, it was clear she has a major chip on her shoulder about never getting THIS degree of attention when she played.

by Anonymousreply 6607/31/2012

[quote] when I watch and listen to Brandi Chastain, *before* Hope said anything about her, it was clear she has a major chip on her shoulder about never getting THIS degree of attention when she played.

Brandi was EXTREMELY well known.

Don't measure the world by tweets or facebook friends!

by Anonymousreply 6707/31/2012

I don't, grandma. And I am pushing 'eldergay' status myself.

Brandi was on the cover of a few papers and mags after the world cup win and her famous stripping off of her shirt. She was on a few interview shows after that.

But she never made the kind of coin Hope (and Abby and even Alex Morgan) are making in endorsements.

And she resents that.

And it shows in her bitter commentary.

by Anonymousreply 6807/31/2012

[quote]She seems angry because she doesn't sugarcoat. She speaks her mind.

It's important to get the facts straight in her mind before she speaks it. Tweeting criticism of a play by play commentary that she did not have the opportunity to hear makes her look and sound irrational, regardless of Chastain's ability or status as a reporter. And it makes it look like her personal beef with Chastain (and possibly book promo) take precedence over her team in a critical tournament.

Not fittingly, she's made it the Hope Solo show during a critical tournament. It'll sell books, but it won't win the tournament. It wouldn't surprise me if there are fissures in the dressing room already. Sundhage and Wamback were careful with their descriptions of what happened during their meeting and focused on describing the interaction as maintaining the bubble around the team. Hmm, why did they need to emphasize the obvious?

And, yes, Chastain does have a block on her shoulder. Why the hell would she go overboard about the diruetic otherwise? It seems like she feels the current "stars" are held to a different standard than she and her peers were.

by Anonymousreply 6907/31/2012

Well, they play again in a half an hour, and one thing Hope is good at is focusing on the game IN the game.

Plus, she's way hotter than Brandi.

:>

by Anonymousreply 7007/31/2012

*Wambach

by Anonymousreply 7107/31/2012

Game on!

by Anonymousreply 7207/31/2012

3 - 0 baby!

by Anonymousreply 7307/31/2012

And Colombia is at the bottom of the group. Tee hee.

by Anonymousreply 7407/31/2012

R96 said:

[Italic]Brandi was on the cover of a few papers and mags after the world cup win and her famous stripping off of her shirt. She was on a few interview shows after that.

But she never made the kind of coin Hope (and Abby and even Alex Morgan) are making in endorsements. [/italic]

Uh, you might want to get your facts right. Brandi was on the cover of Time, Newsweek, and Sports Illustrated at the same time. She was making over $1 million/year in endorsements for Nike, Volvo, Power Bar and 24 Hour Fitness after that penalty kick.

Ironically, that was because she had a performer's personality and was able to capitalize on her sports moment. Very much like Solo, in fact, Hope is Brandi's best student.

Unlike Hope, Brandi didn't create controversy in the middle of a tournament that drew attention to herself, eclipsing the focus on the performance of her teammates.

by Anonymousreply 7508/01/2012

Are you a personal friend of Brandi's?

You sound unreasonably biased.

And seriously, if one compares exactly HOW MUCH both women have (and will, in Hope's case) earned in endorsements & publishing royalties, Solo definitely 'wins' that competition. By far.

by Anonymousreply 7608/01/2012

R68/R76, how does R75 sound "unreasonably biased?"

You say Brandi is bitter because she resents Hope's greater earnings. Apparently that's not the case. Anyhow you can aslo bet Brandi gets a nice salary for her broadcast work. It seems unlikely Hope will end up in the analysts booth after she retires. I doubt any of the older generation that worked so hard to establish women's soccer resents the current players' success. They built the foundation. They fought for more respect and better pay. It's what they wanted.

As others have said Hope is good at self-promotion. If that translates to book sales, more power to her. It's just really annoying when she makes it all about HER, under the guise of protecting the team. That's crass bullshit, and she comes off like an immature diva. I'm a fan of good soccer, not reality tv maneuvers.

by Anonymousreply 7708/01/2012

[quote] And seriously, if one compares exactly HOW MUCH both women have (and will, in Hope's case) earned in endorsements & publishing royalties, Solo definitely 'wins' that competition. By far.

1. Money doesn't mean quality.

2. Autobiographies by female athletes tend not to be best sellers, except in small quantities in feminist bookstores.

by Anonymousreply 7808/01/2012

Grandma's 2 points above are true.

But I would like to add 2 more.

(3) Hope has always been this outspoken and well, kind of cantankerous.

(4) Ergo, imo, this has nothing to do with book sales.

r77, your 'reality tv' comment harkens back to Hope's decision to appear on Dancing with the Stars, and I too found that silly and would not have made it. BUT.

She is still a BEAST in the goal, and the best female goalie in the world, despite the choices she's made that you (and maybe even I) find distasteful. You don't have to 'like' her to acknowledge that.

by Anonymousreply 7908/01/2012

Hope Solo needs to respect those who have come before her, whether she likes them or not, because the 91er's worked hard to bring attention to women's soccer and did so by winnng the 1999 World Cup and then starting a professional league. Solo is selfish and makes it all about her. She's not helping her team and not helping women's sports when she sends immature little Tweets. Shut up, Solo, and be the best goalie you can be.

by Anonymousreply 8008/01/2012

R79, R77 here. I have acknowledged Solo's skill earlier in the thread. She's a world class goalkeeper, among the best ever.

I've admired outspoken players before, e.g., Michele Akers and Tiffeny Milbrett.

My reality tv comment wasn't about DWTS, though I find it unwatchable. I don't care what Hope does in her off time. I meant the kind of manufactured conflict you see on reality tv, passing as spontaneity. I think Hope was waiting for an excuse to attack Brandi. (I'm no huge fan of Brandi's commentary, but she does know soccer). I think she used twitter as a "personal" vehicle to force a media confrontation. I think it propelled her into the spotlight instead of the team and its play. I think it's partly immaturity, partly fodder for her book tour. Like others, I want her to shut up and play soccer.

by Anonymousreply 8108/01/2012

Hope also savaged Briana Scurry, who had beaten her out at goalkeeper. She's a bitch. Unfortunately her mouth might prevent her from getting all of the endorsements, since the networks constantly look for the next big star to over-publicize ( see Nancy Kerrigan). She's attractive, white , and female; just what the networks are looking for.

by Anonymousreply 8208/01/2012

Does she get along with Megan Rapinoe?

by Anonymousreply 8308/01/2012

She didn't "savage" Scurry.

Listen, some of you can't stand her. I get that.

I still maintain much of the criticisms of her sometimes ill-advised comments would simply not be happening if she was a male athlete.

Good lord.

by Anonymousreply 8408/01/2012

Yes, she gets along with Megan.

by Anonymousreply 8508/01/2012

I'm trying to think of an ocassion when a male athlete criticized the unheard broadcast commentary of a legend who retired from their sport. Can't come up with it. We had Ali vs. Cossell, but that was different.

Athletes who criticize teammates' performances or their own coaches publicly? Plenty. Athletes who do it after a disappointing performance and before another important match? I don't know. Fewer, I assume. A lot of male athletes have been rebuked by their own coaches, the media and the fans for their arrogance. It's an ongoing discussion about some stars.

Re the incident in China, you have to remember that Hope got A LOT of support among fans and in the press because what she said was pretty much true (although she wasn't careful enough to leave a teammate out of and it looked like she was crapping on helpless/hapless teammate). Scurry should never have been in goal. How Greg Ryan ever became coach is beyond me, but Solo was instrumental in getting rid of him as were Mia Hamm and some vets.

But if you want to talk about differences in how male and female athletes treated, you need look no further than the way Hope was treated internally by her own team. Shunning (no one was allowed to speak to her), made to take her meals alone, and she had to fly back home seated separately from the team at the back of the plane. It really reminded me of accounts I've read of college sorority disciplinary actions. I think the press and fans were much kinder to her.

by Anonymousreply 8608/01/2012

You would be a bitch too if you got frozen in carbonite.

What? Oh. That's different.

Nevermind.

by Anonymousreply 8708/01/2012

thank you r86! your points are exactly right.

and she has worked hard at rebuilding bridges and forgiving. carli lloyd has helped a lot too. it's worth noting that this latest bruhaha was because she was defending beuhler more than anything.

by Anonymousreply 8808/01/2012

Thing is she never named Beuhler or the exact commentating she had issue with. The press had to review the tape and try to figure out whom Chastain might have been talking about. She made the tweets without having heard what Chastain said. Fundamental error.

by Anonymousreply 8908/01/2012

Opinion about her in her hometown paper is split right down the middle.

Poll: Do you think Hope Solo's criticism of Brandi Chastain on Twitter went too far? Posted by Joshua Mayers

Here is a poll put together by our sports desk...

Thank you for voting! Yes: She's becoming a distraction 50.78% (1,391 votes)

No: She has a right to speak her mind 49.22% (1,348 votes)

Total Votes: 2,739

by Anonymousreply 9008/01/2012

It always amuses me when people can't let go of something, and then blame the player(s) for the "distraction." If people would grow up and get over the (ill-advised) comments, it wouldn't be such a "distraction."

by Anonymousreply 9108/01/2012

Good point, R89. And let's take a look at what Brandi said about Buehler, in the course of running color commentary.

""Rachel Buehler with the giveaway there," Chastain noted in the match's 22nd minute. "As a defender, your responsibilities are defend, win the ball, and then keep possession, and that's something Rachel Buehler needs to improve on during this tournament.""

What's so controversial about that? It's a throwaway comment, defense for idiots.

If Hope hadn't escalated the incident, nobody would have even remembered Brandi's criticism. Hope drew far more attention to Buehler's lapse than if she'd stayed silent. With friends like that....etc.

by Anonymousreply 9208/01/2012

[quote]If people would grow up and get over the (ill-advised) comments, it wouldn't be such a "distraction."

Do you speak for the players?

by Anonymousreply 9308/01/2012

I speak for common sense, R93.

by Anonymousreply 9408/01/2012

Coz she American bitch

by Anonymousreply 9508/01/2012

Awfully presumptuous of you, R93.

by Anonymousreply 9608/01/2012

i heart r93.

by Anonymousreply 9708/01/2012

Er, I meant presumptuous for R94

by Anonymousreply 9808/01/2012

Oops, and I meant I heart r94 (r91)...

by Anonymousreply 9908/01/2012

Have you actually listened to the announcing? She is sooo bad. I ended up just googling "Brandi Chastain an annoying announcer?" Didn't even know about this Solo/Chastain fight and I ended up here. If I hear her say "Again," before every single thing she says, i'm gonna blow my brains out.

by Anonymousreply 10008/06/2012

I was listening. She is bad.

by Anonymousreply 10108/06/2012

Guess I'm the only one who doesn't mind her.

by Anonymousreply 10208/06/2012

I don't mind her either. She knows how to play the game, she gets emotional, and I think she's good at giving commentary on what teams are doing well, what teams need to do, etc. She even gave Solo a compliment about a nice save. But, if I had my choice, I'd listen to Foudy.

by Anonymousreply 10308/07/2012

What's her story? Bi?

by Anonymousreply 10408/07/2012

Brandi is straight and married to Jerry (can't think of his last name) who was a soccer coach for the U-19 team. He was also her coach when she played for him in college.

by Anonymousreply 10508/07/2012

I think R104 was talking about Hope.

by Anonymousreply 10608/08/2012

"i love her, and she is right about chastain, who has an obvious chip on her shoulder that HER era 'dream team' (with Mia Hamm et al) never rose to Hope Solo or Abby Wambach's level of fame."

Take a look at the record books sweetheart:

World Cup Championships:

Brandi Chastain: 2, Hope Solo: 0

by Anonymousreply 10708/08/2012

Thank you, R107!!!

by Anonymousreply 10808/08/2012

Coz she balck

by Anonymousreply 10908/08/2012

Really people? All this fuss over kick ball? Solo has seemed to have chip on her shoulder for the beginning of her minor fame and does not deserve attention.

by Anonymousreply 11008/09/2012

Good job today, Hope. Congrats, ladies.

by Anonymousreply 11108/09/2012

So Hope Solo speaks her mind...so what?! She's right about Chastain. Arlo White made a true comment about a like for like defensive sub in one of the games when Chastain chastised him and tried to elaborate on the substitution. She's useless in the booth; still trying to ride the fame of the true star from the late 90s...Mia Hamm. Chastain is only remembered because of the jersey strip.

by Anonymousreply 11208/09/2012

Gold medal, baby!!!

by Anonymousreply 11308/09/2012

She can be the biggest bitch ever, I love it. She did a great job, coming up with two great saves.

by Anonymousreply 11408/10/2012

She is playing bitchy to get people to talk about her. With all of the media darlings at this Olympics, Hope needs something to keep her name on the front pages, so that she can be given the opportunity to be an "actress" or television personality after her career is over.

by Anonymousreply 11508/10/2012

She has to get her face out there to make millions in advertising like all great athletes! And yes, there have been plenty of boys that have been big mouths and it gets no comment.

On the other hand, Kelley O'Hara and Megan Rapinoe and some of the other players are pretty cute - so maybe they will get the ad gigs.

by Anonymousreply 11608/10/2012

Go USA!!

by Anonymousreply 11708/10/2012

She also had to overcome a pretty tough childhood/ young adulthood.... I love her.

by Anonymousreply 11808/10/2012

I'm not sure why she needs to manufacture controversy. She's the best goalkeeper in the world and always gets recognition in big tournaments. She went on DWTS and gets plenty of endorsements. Goalkeepers have longer playing lives than field players so at 31 she has many years of the spotlight ahead of her. You can be outspoken without being bitchy, and I think she'd actually get more fans if she worked on a mellower image.

by Anonymousreply 11908/10/2012

Speaking your mind and acting like a selfish cunt are two entirely different things. Solo said what she did about Chastain for two reasons: 1) She has a huge chip on her shoulder (read: selfish cunt). 2) She's still pissy because Chastain called her out for failing a drug test earlier this year.

by Anonymousreply 12008/10/2012

Anyone see the photo of Rapinoe and her gf on AfterEllen of them biting the gold medal at the same time. Too cute!

by Anonymousreply 12108/10/2012

I don't watch soccer and I didn't even know who she was before this Olympics. She come's off as obnoxious and a little too full of herself, like Bolt.

I liked Rapinoe and a couple of the others, but this Solo person is a bit of an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 12208/10/2012

"She's the best goalkeeper in the world and always gets recognition in big tournaments."

She's not the "best"; she doesn't have any titles, really. Olympics don't count for much in soccer.

by Anonymousreply 12308/10/2012

r123, Actually i would say that the Olympics are equal to the world cup in womens soccer. Still a big deal for them. But yea in the mens the olympics are way behind the world cup in prestige as evidence by Spain sending their B team.

by Anonymousreply 12408/10/2012

R123, women's soccer leagues don't have the worldwide platform of the top men's leagues. The Olympics and World Cup give top players international exposure regardless of titles.

In the short history of international women's football, there has only been a handful of world-class goalkeepers. Bente Nordby (Norway). Gao Hong (China). Silke Rottenberg and Nadine Angerer (Germany). Briana Scurry (US). Andreia (Brazil). Precious Dede (NIgeria, honorable mention). Most are now retired or in their twilight years.

Ask any international coach, and Hope Solo is not only on that list, she is at or near the top of all time greats. She is without question at the top of those still playing. It's not even a matter of contention.

by Anonymousreply 12508/11/2012

thank you r125.

by Anonymousreply 12608/13/2012

"Actually i would say that the Olympics are equal to the world cup in womens soccer."

Oh, hell, NO! Nowhere near.

by Anonymousreply 12708/13/2012

Olympics and World Cup - equal

by Anonymousreply 12808/13/2012

Anywhere in the world but the US, the World Cup trumps the Olympics in importance. That's because in the Olympics countries don't field their senior men's national teams, but under-23 teams with only 3 players over the age limit. It's an attempt to level the playing field, but often produces results that don't reflect real world standings.

The women's Olympic game doesn't have this rule because there isn't sufficient depth on women's national teams. So for women, the Olympics and World Cup are arguably equal, and the same teams generally progress in both tournaments. Still, the status of the men's World Cup as the sport's premier event carries over to some degree. Both tournaments attract casual viewers who typically don't follow the women's game, or the game at all. But serious soccer fans take the World Cup far more seriously, period. A World Cup gold medal is the pinnacle of achievement in the sport, for men or women.

by Anonymousreply 12908/13/2012

r129 speaks the truth.

Which doesn't negate the fact that Hope is a legendary goalie.

by Anonymousreply 13008/13/2012

Sheis going to make herself look bad with the release of her new book. I thik she's a fantastic goal keeper but I think she's as crazy as a fox outside of soccer. Anyone who needs that much attention is a little off.

by Anonymousreply 13108/16/2012

She is hot.

by Anonymousreply 13208/16/2012

I can't decide if I want to BE her or FUCK her. In relation to her sexuality, she claims in her book to have kissed a girl, but maintains her straightness and frequently mentions her on-again/off-again boyfriend. I personally found it quite odd that she choose to insert the random incident about making out with a girl, as it really had no bearing on the topic at hand (her time playing soccer in France.)

by Anonymousreply 13308/16/2012

Hop has guaranteed a big payday for herself. Now is she doesn't blow it like Nancy Kerrigan did...

by Anonymousreply 13408/16/2012

mmmmmmmmmm, a FRENCH girl!?

by Anonymousreply 13508/16/2012

Yes, R135, a French girl, though she doesn't name names.

by Anonymousreply 13608/16/2012

one might guess a french national women's soccer player.... that team has a couple of beauties!

by Anonymousreply 13708/16/2012

Does she talk about Adrien much in the book? Why are they not engaged by now? They've been together for over a decade, right?

by Anonymousreply 13808/16/2012

Louisa Nécib?

by Anonymousreply 13908/16/2012

She mentions him quite a bit. They seem to have been on-again/off-again for years, have dated people in between, and end up back together, or at least are great supporters of one another. The part of me that thinks she's at least bi wants to believe that relationship has evolved into more of a best-friend type thing, but who knows?

Regardless, I don't think she would ever come out before she retires, if she IS into the ladies. She likes the endorsements too much.

One would think, however, that if there are any girls out there who can refute her het claims, somebody would step up to the plate with the release of the autobiography.

by Anonymousreply 14008/16/2012

She made the "I kissed a girl" thing out to sound like more of a friend of a friend type encounter, claims the girl chased her for months before she gave in and made out with her, etc.

I don't have the book in front of me, but if I recall correctly, she said something like, "It was interesting, but not earth-shattering. I was still straight."

by Anonymousreply 14108/16/2012

...or not...

by Anonymousreply 14208/16/2012

[quote] I was still straight

Thank goodness!

by Anonymousreply 14308/16/2012

I agree...why even put the "kissing a girl" section in the book? To appeal to her lesbian fans?

I wonder how her teammates feel about this book?

by Anonymousreply 14408/16/2012

[quote]I agree...why even put the "kissing a girl" section in the book? To appeal to her lesbian fans?

To appeal to straight guys. To make her more "sexy".

by Anonymousreply 14508/16/2012

no, if anything it was a nod to the ladies.

by Anonymousreply 14608/16/2012

Her handlers sure have femmed her up in the past few years. Most pre-2008 photos show her looking dykey as all hell. Things like sideways baseball cap, wife-beaters and baggy basketball shorts, complete with cell phone stuck in her waist band. I know she's an athlete, but come on!

by Anonymousreply 14708/16/2012

BUMP

by Anonymousreply 14808/16/2012

Exhibit A: So, so hetero.

by Anonymousreply 14908/16/2012

She's a world-class ATHLETE.

Often confused with gay woman.

by Anonymousreply 15008/16/2012

Looking a little, um, butch?

by Anonymousreply 15108/16/2012

She admits she's had sex with a woman. But she is surrounded by lesbians, so it's no surprise.

Female athletes almost by definition are butch. Not all of them are gay.

by Anonymousreply 15208/16/2012

[quote] She admits she's had sex with a woman.

I thought she just kissed a woman!

by Anonymousreply 15308/16/2012

If she ADMITS to 'making out' with a woman, you connect the dots.....

by Anonymousreply 15408/16/2012

Well, MSNBC is reporting that her book claims that Maks hit her very hard and that his tantrum with the judges was geared to keep them on the show, because he had heard that a memo said that they were being eliminated. She said that the producers fixed the results to keep them.

by Anonymousreply 15508/16/2012

She was cute as a beefy blonde.

by Anonymousreply 15608/16/2012

She sounds unstable. If I were Abby, I would run as far away as I could.

by Anonymousreply 15708/16/2012

I read a headline and brief blurb that she claimed that Greg Ryan shoved her down onto a bench when she stood up to protest his choice of Scurry the 2007 WC semis with Brazil. Ryan has denied it. Who the hell knows what happened there? I think this is not going to make her current and former teammates who were there very happy because now they are going to be on the receiving end of uncomfortable questions. Way to go, Hope. Are you so important that you have to write this now? Couldn't it wait until the end of your career?

by Anonymousreply 15808/17/2012

You're an idiot, r158.

Ryan was a HORRIBLE coach, with anger issues. Of course he denies it. Angry men who are trying to protect their reps lie.

by Anonymousreply 15908/17/2012

You sound like you have anger issues yourself, R159. Did you know Ryan personally? He's a college coach at the University of Michigan now. Pushing a player is a serious infraction. His conflict with Solo happened 5 years ago; it seems odd that she'd just mention a physical incident now that she has a book to sell instead of filing a complaint for official adjudication.

I think the thing that nags at me is she wants to be taken seriously as an athlete while also pandering to the masses through manufactured celebrity channels. DWTS is a lowest common denominator show. Solo has a knack for self promotion, e.g, the trumped up twitter attack on Chastain during the Olympics, just before her book tour. She's putting the women's soccer world on trial so that she can be vindicated by a mass public that doesn't know anything about the sport or its history. It just seems like a cheap shot that nobody can adequately respond to without it turning into a mudfight. She may be happy in the muck, but most people in that world aren't.

by Anonymousreply 16008/17/2012

And you sound like a 99er, r160.

Are you?

Or are you friends with one or more?

by Anonymousreply 16108/17/2012

The blonde is yuck.

by Anonymousreply 16208/17/2012

She has single-handedly done more to get people (and no, not just horny middle-aged men) interested in women's soccer since Mia Hamm, btw.

by Anonymousreply 16308/17/2012

R161: you're accusing everyone who thinks Solo is more interested in self-promotion than the team or sport of being friends with Brandi Chastain? That's absurd from any angle.

by Anonymousreply 16408/17/2012

Is Chastain the only other 99er?

To accuse Solo of being more interested in anything BUT the sport of soccer (or sorry football) is equally absurd. You are willfully ignoring her entire career. Her current "celeb" status has only been a factor since the last world cup, i.e. a couple of years at most. She is perhaps THE BEST female goalie ever.

by Anonymousreply 16508/17/2012

Again R165, you suggest anyone who doesn't embrace Solo must have personal ties to "the 99ers"? That's an odd rationale. Surely you can recognize that the team attracted fans before Solo and will after she's a memory? Some of those fans don't find the culture of cheap celebrity appealing. Solo has used her athletic success to place herself firmly in ithe celebrity floodlights. She's used that platform to market an autobiography that tells her side of a murky, unpleasant chapter in the team's history. The story as she tells it only serves to make others look bad. Those others, some of whom are still active players, can either tell their sides of the story - which means joining Solo in the sensationalist spotlight - or be silent, which some will read as tacit corroboration. She's placing people who sacrificed as much as she has for the sport in an untenable position. The only person who benefits is Hope Solo.

by Anonymousreply 16608/17/2012

bullcrap; they benefit from the ticket & merchandise sales she helps garner.

She is not some kind of evil overlord, bound to destroy others' lives.

You need to take a look at your own biases, because they are coming from someplace that sounds a lot like sour grapes.

by Anonymousreply 16708/17/2012

...perhaps a friend or family member of Ryan's...

by Anonymousreply 16808/17/2012

[quote]You're an idiot, [R158]. Ryan was a HORRIBLE coach, with anger issues. Of course he denies it. Angry men who are trying to protect their reps lie.

If you care to trolldar me, you will find I've said the exact same things about Ryan's coaching ability (even a novice coach would scrimmage his D, MF and forward line together) and what we know of his handling of the situation in China was pretty bad (my take on it is that he pitted players against each other).

However, I don't know anything about his temperament or whether he has "anger issues" and I'm certainly not going to make any assessment about this on the basis of Solo's description of the event. She's thus characeterized herself as a victim, which I'm not too keen on.

I'm going to wait until the book is in the library, but now I'm curious enough to read this.

by Anonymousreply 16908/17/2012

Oh, lord, R167/168, people who disagree with you are friends or family of Ryan's or '99ers now? Do you have any idea how diseased and Twitardish this sounds? Should we start calling you Hope or Adrian now?

Before you try to condemn me or call me Brandi, I suggest that you read my post at R86 again. You thanked me for it.

by Anonymousreply 17008/17/2012

The dancer has denied.

[quote]"Always hated hypocrites and liars, but when someone is both and an opportunist, I just feel bad for them," he wrote. "Can't win at someone's expense."

by Anonymousreply 17108/17/2012

"diseased" r86?

Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 17208/17/2012

Please get it right, R161, they were called the "91er's" not the "99er's."

by Anonymousreply 17308/17/2012

Hope and team drunk on Today show in 2008

by Anonymousreply 17408/17/2012

...and?

by Anonymousreply 17508/18/2012

Wednesday's story about her in Dirty Tackle got a lot of negative commentary..

by Anonymousreply 17608/18/2012

well that does it then.

She must be a HORRIBLE human being, and a mediocre soccer player.

by Anonymousreply 17708/18/2012

She has issues that for certain. I do not like her at all. I hope that she is proven to be a liar regarding all of the negative things that she has spewed via her tweets and now in her book. I wish she would take a long walk off a short bridge. Hope, just shut up, and go away.

by Anonymousreply 17808/22/2012

Sorry, she's not going anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 17908/22/2012

reply to 179. Yes she is going places....her next stop will most likely be Hustler magazine. What a skanky liar.

by Anonymousreply 18009/19/2012

Wow talk about issues!! You bumped this month-old thread to say THAT?

by Anonymousreply 18109/19/2012

She look a like a man.

by Anonymousreply 18309/19/2012

Well, she would be, wouldn't she?

by Anonymousreply 18409/19/2012

Has anyone read her book?

If so, care to comment?

by Anonymousreply 18509/21/2012

She has an amazing body.

by Anonymousreply 18609/23/2012

yes. yes she does.

by Anonymousreply 18709/23/2012

R186 - Who goes fishing wearing such skimpy garments?!?

by Anonymousreply 18809/23/2012

R188 - someone who wants to show off.

by Anonymousreply 18909/23/2012

(or someone who wants to jump in the water and swim or tube....)

by Anonymousreply 19009/23/2012

abusive husband bump

by Anonymousreply 19111/15/2012

by Anonymousreply 19206/29/2013

Maybe her hole is angry.

by Anonymousreply 19311/27/2014

Take this thread back to the dyke boards, please.

by Anonymousreply 19411/27/2014

After seeing her hairy pork chops...

by Anonymousreply 19511/27/2014
Need more help? Click Here.