Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Sam Champion

Why doesn't Sam emerge from the closet?

Please don't say he is not hiding because everyone knows he is out.

Also can he finally slow down the plastic surgery and the botox?

by Anonymousreply 3709/25/2013

Why state the obvious?

by Anonymousreply 107/27/2012

He's not hiding because everyone knows he's out.

by Anonymousreply 207/27/2012

Yeah, I don't think its a secret. After several months I finally "came out" at work. It wasn't a secret but I didn't need to throw a party. I just casually referred to my BF when it was part of a normal conversation. Its not like people are questioning Sam's sexuality. Are they?

by Anonymousreply 307/27/2012

But he's regularly seen in gay bars and clubs all over New York, really almost making a point of being seen. How can it be claimed he's not out? Because he didn't say it while reading the weather?

I would normally agree with the OP, but can't in this case.

by Anonymousreply 507/27/2012

He is *Straight* and has a long term girlfriend he is living with. She works as a segment producer for GMA. They are trying to have a baby.

by Anonymousreply 707/27/2012

Oh, so maybe it was HER red thong he was wearing at the gym.

by Anonymousreply 807/27/2012

r7=Cheryl

by Anonymousreply 907/27/2012

Growing up in the NY media market, the only times I would see Sam was when he did the weather, and in order to show the map, the camera was a distance away from him. Then a few years ago, while visiting the in-laws, I saw him on some cable show where he was filling in for the usual host. With the camera considerably closer I finally got to see what he REALLY looks like and HOLY SHIT! What a freak show!!! How can he look in the mirror everyday and not see how bizarre he looks?

by Anonymousreply 1007/27/2012

What is bizarre about his looks, r10? Your story makes no sense without that detail.

by Anonymousreply 1107/27/2012

Sam's partner is named Shaun Bell,I believe.

What about Josh Elliot? I'd like a drink of that tall glass!

by Anonymousreply 1207/27/2012

R11, R10 probably means that Sam has bleached hair and is not rail thin and wears his clothes a little tight and has that kind of Caucasian skin that ages badly with sun damage.

But Sam is a nice guy who always says positive, upbeat things, unlike R10, who can only sneer at other people's appearance.

by Anonymousreply 1307/27/2012

Well, he does seem to have a "shiny" face that looks a bit "pulled" from a distance. Sort of like that puppet "Madame" of Wayland Flowers and Madame. He seems nice, I will give him that. And upbeat. But he really does look like he has had some obvious work done. To each his own. And no need to be a hater. But still the facts are the facts. He is in his 50's now I think. No one looks that way naturally.

by Anonymousreply 1407/27/2012

I don't think he is hiding as much as he and Robin are probably advised by GMA producers to not talk about their sexuality so as not to alienate any part of their audience. I would guess if it weren't for homophobic Americans they would have no problem talking about their significant others.

by Anonymousreply 1607/27/2012

Its all the cosmetic surgery, the botox, and what seems to be a chin implant. It's really strange looking. Its one thing to get a little nip and tuck, but he is wandering over into Bruce Jenner territory.

by Anonymousreply 1707/27/2012

He's annoying.

by Anonymousreply 1907/27/2012

He's a very nice guy who has never been in.

by Anonymousreply 2007/27/2012

He could just do it as simply as that fellow on CNN did when Quinto came out:

"I guess I'll have to change my rule about dating actors."

Not a pause, a flinch or a batted eye as he and his coanchor went on with the news.

by Anonymousreply 2107/27/2012

Make up your mind, OP.

If "everyone knows he is out" then he's not in the closet.

If you want to know why he doesn't "emerge from the closet" then you're saying he's not out.

by Anonymousreply 2207/27/2012

There are idiots who think that if you are not on a magazine cover declaring a love for cock you are not out.

It is my bet OP has not been on a magazine cover declaring his gayness.

by Anonymousreply 2307/27/2012

When Sam first came to NYC back in the 80s, he was HOT and gorgeous - the ultimate twink. And a fixture on the club scene. Every gay in NY knew he was one of us the minute he appeared on his first broadcast.

Once he settled down with Sean, he calmed down quite a bit. Yes, he's had a few too many cosmetic procedures, but he's still a sweetheart of a guy, a real Southern gentleman.

I don't think the brass would mind if Sam came out publicly, but what they are probably more concerned about is that Sean, his partner, is black. There are huge parts of this country where that kind of "marriage" is still very very offensive - esp. the South, where Sam is from. And the brass doesn't want to risk alienating that audience.

by Anonymousreply 2407/28/2012

gross

by Anonymousreply 2507/30/2012

r24, you mean to tell me that the network is more concerned about an INTERRACIAL relationship issue over a GAY issue? REALLY?

by Anonymousreply 2607/30/2012

I think you can say he's officially out of the closet since announcing his impending marriage to his boyfriend of several years, Brazilian photographer Rubem Robierb (not Sean Bell, who is black but is not Champion's partner any longer - obviously).

Of course, I don't think he was in the closet. Journalists generally do not spend time chatting about their personal lives on camera; Barbara Walters, an ABC News legend, practically refuses to discuss her personal life in any venue - except her autobiography, of course. And whatever you think of GMA, Champion did receive a journalism degree - broadcast news, specifically - and the first rule in journalism is: Do not talk about your personal life or state your opinion on any news item, unless you're writing (or broadcasting, whichever the case may be) an Op/Ed piece.

I'm wondering what 25 finds to be "gross." That Sam Champion is gay, in which case I wonder if you stumbled onto the wrong website. Or that he was in an interracial relationship? Of course, he still is in one, just a different person and different race - a paler shade of brown, if you will, which seems to bother racial bigots somewhat less. Unless he's Mexican and going for the Green card and planning to bring his entire family over the border, too.

by Anonymousreply 2710/30/2012

Because I think it's embarrassing to be gay, r1. And in my case at least, it's true.

by Anonymousreply 2810/31/2012

Gma celebeated Sam's wedding on air a while back. Dont any of u watch?

by Anonymousreply 2909/25/2013

...what about George snuffleguppulus?

by Anonymousreply 3009/25/2013

Sam's apartment at 67th and Columbus was for sale. He and hubby wanted to move downtown to "their own place." Is it still on the market?

by Anonymousreply 3109/25/2013

Sam Champion does seem to be in a glass closet. Maybe he's kind of an uptight person? I don't watch GMA usually but I remember catching it once a while back and this straight guy he was interviewing totally flirted with him but Sam wouldn't flirt back. Dude, it's ok. He knows. We know. Lighten up a little, we're all friends. At least on camera, Sam doesn't feel like we're all friends. Maybe we're not all friends.

by Anonymousreply 3209/25/2013

Sam didn't come out until his father, a retired Marine, died.

by Anonymousreply 3309/25/2013

They openly talked about his wedding on GMA

by Anonymousreply 3409/25/2013

WAIT!!!! r6 and r16

Robin Roberts is a lesbian????

I would have never known!

by Anonymousreply 3509/25/2013

I'm totally making things up.

by Anonymousreply 3609/25/2013

[quote]Sam didn't come out until his father, a retired Marine, died.

...from Kentucky.

by Anonymousreply 3709/25/2013
Need more help? Click Here.