Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Gay Men Prefer Masculine-Faced Men, Study Suggests

Old article. Please discuss. Is it true?

by Anonymousreply 161Last Sunday at 10:09 AM

Everyone does.

by Anonymousreply 307/26/2012

The only gay guys I know who are attracted to overly pretty/feminine faced men are other fem guys and old men with a twink fetish. Everyone else likes masculine-faced men.

by Anonymousreply 407/26/2012

I can't stand pretty men. The kind who look like women. Like Justin Bieber, for example. He is just a lesbian-in-training, and he doesn't even know it.

by Anonymousreply 507/26/2012

I was hanging out with female colleagues after work and the topic turned to "who's cute, who's hot" at the office.

There was very little overlap between mine and theirs. Their comment: "Of course. You want all the cavemen, the hypermasculine guys." (I found all of their choices bland, dull, unsexy.)

It surprised me, but they weren't wrong.

by Anonymousreply 707/26/2012

Gay men may prefer the masculine faced but give them the inevitable dry spell and they'll settle for what they can get.

by Anonymousreply 807/26/2012

Do masculine men prefer gay- faced men?

by Anonymousreply 907/26/2012

I disagree, it's my experience that gay men are far more interested in the back of you.

by Anonymousreply 1007/26/2012

[quote]Is it true?

Definitely yes, in my experience. Some guys are into other guys who look and act nelly/fem, but most of the ones I've ever known are into the more masculine look.

by Anonymousreply 1107/26/2012

Let's recap

What does masculine-faced mean? It means a face that appears more like a typical man's than a typical woman's.

What are gay men? Men who prefer men to women sexually.

Doesn't it only make sense, therefore, that gay men would prefer men who are more masculine than feminine in appearance, facially and otherwise?

by Anonymousreply 1207/26/2012

And, "masculine-faced" doesn't necessarily have to mean these men aren't raging queens. It's simply the neutral state of their face - what they can't control.

by Anonymousreply 1307/26/2012

Do they do studies on what black men and what black women prefer?

by Anonymousreply 1407/26/2012

Yes, they do.

by Anonymousreply 1507/26/2012

Well personally, I prefer *gulp gulp gulp*

by Anonymousreply 1607/26/2012

I have no problem with femme guys, but when it comes to sexual attraction I am only interested in guys with masculine faces.

by Anonymousreply 1707/26/2012

Women like pretty men, so the few straight pretty guys can have their pick.

by Anonymousreply 1807/26/2012

Bitch please. Well all know it comes down to dick size for 99.8% of gay men. NEXT!

by Anonymousreply 1907/26/2012

[quote]The only gay guys I know who are attracted to overly pretty/feminine faced men are other fem guys and old men with a twink fetish.

The second part is true, not the first part. Fem guys also like masculine guys.

Also, some bi guys who lean more straight prefer fem guys (and TVs) for the reasons R12 outlined (but reversed).

by Anonymousreply 2007/26/2012

This is why Bea Arthur has such a big gay following.

by Anonymousreply 2207/26/2012

Another in a long line of "DUH" studies.

by Anonymousreply 2307/26/2012

Ha ha, freeper @ R21 got busted!

by Anonymousreply 2407/26/2012

I wonder if bi guys are more attracted to softer features?

by Anonymousreply 2607/26/2012

I certainly concur with this study.

by Anonymousreply 2807/26/2012

Great. Now maybe the twink worship and male grooming crap will disappear.

by Anonymousreply 2907/26/2012

Gays are just blind to the nelly qualities of other gay men. Every one of them thinks they are straight acting, and they think their very fem lovers are butch too.

by Anonymousreply 3007/26/2012

True, R30. Like Lance Bass calling christening himself a 'SAG' - straight acting gay.

by Anonymousreply 3107/26/2012

Women fetishize pretty men, while gay men fetishize hypermasculinity.

by Anonymousreply 3207/26/2012

[quote]And, "masculine-faced" doesn't necessarily have to mean these men aren't raging queens.

Exactly. It has nothing to do with how a guy acts or how he grooms himself. Plenty of guys with prominent jaws and chins and wide foreheads will open their mouths only to have a purse fall out.

by Anonymousreply 3407/26/2012

The point is not that anyone fetishizes anything, r32. It's that when a particular face is altered slightly to look more masculine, gay guys like it more. Think of it as finding Lenny Kravitz sexier than Prince. Not finding Andrew Dice Clay sexier than Matt Bomer.

by Anonymousreply 3507/26/2012

So people who are sexually attracted to men like male features?

They needed a study to figure that out?

by Anonymousreply 3607/26/2012

well, I very much appreciate a beautiful man. the guy who plays superman on tv, for example, has an extremely pretty face, downright beautiful, and I think he's gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 3707/26/2012

R21 - OOOOH! is this a sort of "Redtag"? I LURVE it!

by Anonymousreply 3807/26/2012

Who looks at faces?

by Anonymousreply 3907/26/2012

Is the Pope Catholic?

Most gay-oriented marketing features pretty men with muscular bodies. Both of which I have zero attraction for.

by Anonymousreply 4007/26/2012

Fem dudes like masculine dudes like everyone else. In fact, some of the most anti-effem comments I ever hear are from guys who are effem.

by Anonymousreply 4107/26/2012

I think a gay dude is truly masculine when straight guys say, "wow, I would have never guessed he is into guys; he is like a normal dude."

by Anonymousreply 4207/26/2012

r35 has a good point.

by Anonymousreply 4307/26/2012

[quote]Most gay-oriented marketing features pretty men with muscular bodies.

You mean like this guy?

by Anonymousreply 4407/26/2012

He's a girly-man

by Anonymousreply 4507/26/2012

This article was confusing. First they said gay men and straight men prefer masculine men and feminine women. Then they said gay men and straight men did not have the same likes. I'm puzzled now as to the difference between what gay men like and what straight men like. That lesbians prefer masculine women and fem men is not a surprise. That straight women got confused probably means there were not enough markers to intuit bank balance!

by Anonymousreply 4607/26/2012

f

by Anonymousreply 4708/06/2012

My straight female friends like masculine guys also but they tend to be the grunting, football-watching types who were probably frat boys in some distant past.

by Anonymousreply 4808/06/2012

r48, I love jocks too. Only date athletes and military. Muscles and Athleticism are hot.

by Anonymousreply 4908/06/2012

Sounds right. Whaada we need with more femininity?

by Anonymousreply 5008/07/2012

well yes R19, the big peen is an extension of masculinity--as a symbol and as a fact. bigger dick = more of a man.

by Anonymousreply 5108/07/2012

Masculine face?

by Anonymousreply 5208/07/2012

*Every* gay man is "masculine-faced".

UNTIL THEY SMELL COOKIES!

by Anonymousreply 5308/07/2012

R2, what happened? Are you okay?

by Anonymousreply 5408/07/2012

Young girls do prefer boys with soft faces, which is why Bieber and 1 Direction look like a bunch of lesbians.

When we grow up we prefer our men to look (and act) "masculine". Enter Micheal Fassbender, Jon Hamm and Idris Elba

by Anonymousreply 5508/07/2012

Meaning when you straight chicks have finally been banged, right r55?

I always wonder about those fat ugly straight women who prefer the more androgynous types. Are they virgins maybe?

by Anonymousreply 5608/07/2012

r5 I'm a bi woman and although I understand what you're saying about the beaver and even agree, I think there are some slightly feminine faces on males I really love and think are beautiful. Matt Bomer comes to mind. His face is clearly masculine but his beauty is so perfect that there's something feminine about it. There are other men like him and I think it's when they have perfect features that make them look beautiful and not just attractive, that they are somewhat feminine. The Beaver is a whole different story - he has absolutely nothing masculine in his face.

by Anonymousreply 5708/07/2012

[quote]I always wonder about those fat ugly straight women who prefer the more androgynous types. Are they virgins maybe?

Not usually, afaik, although they may be closeted lesbians.

When middle-aged women obsess over pretty boys, it's usually in more of a "motherly" kind of way, even if these women will still joke or fantasize about fucking these pretty boys.

by Anonymousreply 5808/07/2012

Androgynous types can be very attractive as well. One doesn't have to be an ugly virgin to think so.

by Anonymousreply 5908/07/2012

What about those women who are obsessed with chris Colfer aka Kurt from Glee?

by Anonymousreply 6008/07/2012

r60 I really like CC in a friendly, sisterly way, not in a sexual way. He's likable.

by Anonymousreply 6108/07/2012

Society doesn't respect non-masculine males, which makes them unlikely to be attractive to most people.

by Anonymousreply 6208/08/2012

R60: If you listen carefully, those women who rant about the feminine-faced guys dont really want to fuck them.

In fact they are drawn to those types of guys specifically because they are sexually non-threatening. It could be due to negative sexual experiences or unhealthy sexual attitudes but rest assured none of them actually wants to ride Chris Colfers cock.

by Anonymousreply 6308/08/2012

Yes. And yes. And yes.

by Anonymousreply 6408/08/2012

[quote]Plenty of guys with prominent jaws and chins and wide foreheads will open their mouths only to have a purse fall out.

I have a prominent jawline and chin (my husband tells me that's one of the first things he noticed, beside my nice ass), and when I open my mouth ... I have a deep bass/baritone voice.

And, I'm gayer than you, toots.

by Anonymousreply 6508/08/2012

One can have a masculine face but overall be very ef feminate. You can also have a deep voice and talk with a gay/non-masculine accent or manner of speech. Likewise, you have a muscular bod and be non-masculine. Masculinity is a mix of many component parts, including interests/hobbies, manner of speech, manner of walking, and clothing.

by Anonymousreply 6608/10/2012

d

by Anonymousreply 6708/13/2012

d

by Anonymousreply 6808/15/2012

That's all true, but this research is probably done just with photos of faces. Because it's hypothesis was about masculine faces. Now, the next step might well be a study of masculine faces with voices running the gamut of masculine/feminine identification. I prefer men with masculine faces and voices and I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of people do as well. But, hey, I could be wrong.... that's why a study is worthwhile.

by Anonymousreply 6908/15/2012

"Society doesn't respect non-masculine males, which makes them unlikely to be attractive to most people."

True, but society doesn't respect people generally considered non-attractive either, which is partially why most people join ranks and are not attracted to them.

It's called enculturation.

by Anonymousreply 7008/15/2012

This just in... Ocean is wet, study suggests. Stay tuned to this channel for more late breaking news.

by Anonymousreply 7108/15/2012

d

by Anonymousreply 7208/26/2012

I also prefer men who have masculin faces and voices; enter Richard Armitage who, btw, is gay.

by Anonymousreply 7308/27/2012

Personally, I've always looked at things like this from this perspective: Hot is hot, attractive people can come in several different ways. Some guys have softer features that work a lot better with their overall look, and they look damn good. I can understand this studies' suggestion being true for most gay men of course but I don't have a "type" I guess.

by Anonymousreply 7408/27/2012

g

by Anonymousreply 7511/17/2012

They should do a study on voice and attraction.

by Anonymousreply 7604/08/2013

voice makes a big difference to me.

by Anonymousreply 7704/08/2013

Yeah, voice is huge for me too. No matter how a dude looks, if his voice is not masculine and manly, I instantly lose attraction. Attraction is very auditory.

by Anonymousreply 7804/08/2013

I don't want to fuck a woman.

by Anonymousreply 7904/08/2013

and water is wet

by Anonymousreply 8004/12/2013

ha

by Anonymousreply 8104/15/2013

Voice, Schmoice.

You don't fuck a voice. Wow, are you guys pansies or what. (Just kidding.)

by Anonymousreply 8204/15/2013

r82, but voice is very important to attraction because it connotes masculinity.

by Anonymousreply 8304/15/2013

Likewise, bi or "straight" men prefer feminine-faced men, in my experience.

by Anonymousreply 8504/15/2013

r85, interesting. My straight friend says he would consider going gay for Emile Hirsch. I thought that bizarre because I don't find him to have a very masculine face. It made me think that straight dudes are more inclined to find feminine-faced guys more attractive than square-jawed angular faced men.

by Anonymousreply 8604/16/2013

I knew this really hot guy, masculine, long blonde hair, hairy chest, who only liked real femme twinks. Could never figure it out. Didn't ask him.

by Anonymousreply 8704/16/2013

Heteroflexible guys definitely prefer pretty boys that have less angular faces. However, the more bisexual a guy is, the more he prefers more masculine-faced guys.

by Anonymousreply 8804/17/2013

Gay men also prefer guys who use the word "dude," play aggressive team sports, never watch Bravo or Lifetime, and never listen to or obsess Lady Gaga/Nicki Minaj/Katy Perry/Beyonce/Rihanna/Britney.

by Anonymousreply 8904/23/2013

There are some guys who, right away, I could tell they are gay just by looking at their face. Even if they have the most muscular or hairy bodies their face always gives them away. Either it's the softness in their eyes or the way their mouth sits. Not all gay guys have a gay-looking face, but there are some who do and nothing, not even a beard, can hide it.

by Anonymousreply 9005/09/2013

R89 I only prefer those traits in a gay man if they are genuine.

by Anonymousreply 9105/09/2013

Post pics of fem faced dudes.

by Anonymousreply 9205/09/2013

See? I'm really, REALLY gay.

by Anonymousreply 9305/09/2013

a couple years ago I got a big crush on this guy who in every way vibes... not feminine, maybe faerie is more accurate.

except for his face, which has beautiful manly features, including a short beard and yet the overall effect is still 'soft'

I think what kept him so attractive was his authenticity. that's key.

'hyper-masculine' poseurs exude desperation via trying too hard, and desperation is a turn-off.

still, real muscles, a deep voice, and body hair get the blood pumping

by Anonymousreply 9405/09/2013

Gay men do not differ from straight men in the size and shape of any facial feature. Rather, the use of certain expressions can become ingrained in the musculature of the face over time. Since effeminate gay men utilize similar facial expressions as women, they develop female aging and muscle contraction patterns in their face. For example, gay face includes tightness around the mouth from pursing the lips, a facial expression common to gay men and women—but not to heterosexual men. Also, gay men are more emotionally expressive, leading to a general 'tightness' and muscular activation throughout the entire face. Gay face includes an eye expression that is both surprised-looking and predatory. Eyebrows are usually arched higher than that of straight men, and eyebrow hair is manicured. There is often a slightly tan and/or leathery look to the skin, especially among older gay men. Lesbians also have a version of gay face that emulates the facial muscular usage patterns of straight men. They exhibit an underexpression of emotion, relaxed brows, relaxed eyes, and less taut mouth and cheek muscles than straight women. The skin is usually pale and splotchy.

by Anonymousreply 9505/09/2013

No wonder so many out gays are still miserable and envious, instead of proud like they always claimed to be.

by Anonymousreply 9605/09/2013

Another new scientific poll, in which the results are , "Duh!"

by Anonymousreply 9705/09/2013

Thanks for your pseudoscientific input, Dr. Mengele at R95.

by Anonymousreply 9805/09/2013

[quote]Gay face includes an eye expression that is both surprised-looking and predatory.

LOL

I personally like guys with more feminine looking faces, full lips and long eyelashes. Although those features aren't limited to feminine faced guys. I think it has to do with the fact that males are the pretty rather than handsome are more rare.

by Anonymousreply 9905/09/2013

k

by Anonymousreply 10005/29/2013

Most fems guys are strongly attracted to masculine dudes.

by Anonymousreply 10106/03/2013

great topic, great comments!

I would add my personal preference, which I lend to be attracted by a certain combination of a lush skin color, thin lips and masculine facial features with soft eyes. A little bit gay-faced filled with an authenticity and resilience is a real turn-on to me.

by Anonymousreply 10206/03/2013

Captain Obvious

by Anonymousreply 10307/02/2013

I have a friend who has a soft/gay look to his face. He's very self-conscious of this so he tries to make hard/tough facial expressions. Unfortunately, when he does this he comes off more looking more like a bitchy queen than some tough guy. He's now talking about getting some plastic surgery done to fix his gay face, but I'm thinking this is going to be a big mistake.

by Anonymousreply 10407/02/2013

by Anonymousreply 10507/02/2013

Masculine faces have more prominent features... are more angular, more rectangular as opposed to round, and normally feature a strong jaw or chin.

Female faces have delicate features...are rounder and softer in appearance.

Am I right?

by Anonymousreply 10607/02/2013

i'm a guy with a very soft, roundish looking face. It got me the label of "cute" when I was younger, but now my face defies definition. I couldn't project a traditionally masculine look if I wanted to.

by Anonymousreply 10707/02/2013

Exactly, r106.

by Anonymousreply 10807/02/2013

[quote]Most fems guys are strongly attracted to masculine dudes.

Only if you define "masculine" as the laughable cartoonish extreme they're talking about when they use the word: oldish, grizzled with a snarly look, sort of fat-faced, overmuscled, overtanned, etc.

by Anonymousreply 10907/02/2013

Dud

by Anonymousreply 11007/27/2013

Duh

by Anonymousreply 11108/06/2013

I like them rough and hardened

by Anonymousreply 11208/06/2013

Who doesn't dude?

by Anonymousreply 11308/07/2013

And water is wet

by Anonymousreply 11408/08/2013

D

by Anonymousreply 11610/01/2013

Straight men often have a very hard time believing that someone can be attracted to a gruff, masculine looking man, especially the straight, manorexic metrosexuals.

That's the reason why a lot of them believe gay men must be in fact pederasts or crypto-pedophiles, they assume gays could only possibly go for the youngest, prettiest and most feminine looking boys.

by Anonymousreply 11710/01/2013

[R65]= Charles Nelson Reilly

by Anonymousreply 11810/01/2013

duh

by Anonymousreply 11910/06/2013

I want to be raped like a woman by a masculine dude.

by Anonymousreply 12010/06/2013

Duh

by Anonymousreply 12210/07/2013

Have a voice that sounds more like James Earl Jones than David Beckham's slightly squeaky one? You're in luck: a new study suggests women are more attracted to guys with a low-pitched voice when it comes to short-term flings.

But don't go altering your voices just yet, guys: The study also suggested that women perceive men with deep voices as being more likely to cheat on them.

The study, published online in the journal Personality and Individual Differences, offers insight into how human voices evolved and how we choose our mates.

“Until now, it’s been unclear why women would like the voices of men who might cheat," said Jillian O’Connor, the lead author of the study and a postdoctoral fellow at McMaster University in Ontario, Canada. "We found that the more women thought these men would cheat, the more they were attracted to them for a brief relationship when they are less worried about fidelity.”

To conduct the study, O’Connor and her team asked roughly 90 women to listen to men's voices that were electronically manipulated to sound higher or lower, and then choose who they thought would be more likely to cheat on their partners.

The researchers also asked the ladies to pick the voice they thought was more attractive for a long-term relationship versus a short-term one. The verdict? The deep-voiced men were seen as being more suitable for a fling and more likely to cheat.

So why do the researchers think this is the case? From an evolutionary perspective, women's voice-based judgments on the faithfulness of men may be adaptive, said David Feinberg, an assistant professor in the department of psychology, neuroscience and behavior at the university.

"The consequences of infidelity are very high whether it is emotional or financial and this research suggests that humans have evolved as a protection mechanism to avoid long-term partners who may cheat," Feinberg said.

This isn't the first time researchers have delved into how women -- and men -- interpret the pitch of a potential mate's voice. Back in April 2013, researchers from the University College London found that deep male voices were judged as more attractive because they conveyed that the speaker was strong and possessed a large frame, while high-pitched female voices were considered to be more attractive because they suggested the speaker had a small body.

by Anonymousreply 12310/17/2013

Most people like faces similar in shape to their own.

by Anonymousreply 12512/01/2013

[quote]Everyone does.

[quote]Who prefers famine faced males?

Apparently straight women.

by Anonymousreply 12612/01/2013

Wrong, straight women also prefer males with very angular, square jawed faces. Studies have confirmed this over and over. Women are attracted to male faces that are very distinct from average female faces.

by Anonymousreply 12712/01/2013

v

by Anonymousreply 12812/22/2013

duh. masculinity is preferred by most

by Anonymousreply 12902/06/2014

What's with all these young guys being so fem & prancing like rainbow coloured unicorns.

There are two super cute guys in my office, but when they open their mouths it's like a mix of Liberace & Richard Simmons.

It so discouraging they are like some type of hybrid female /male peacock.

by Anonymousreply 13010/23/2014

If this were true G would have got her Oscar years ago.

by Anonymousreply 13110/23/2014

Of course. Masculinity is hot brah

by Anonymousreply 13210/26/2014

Nelly has never been hot.

by Anonymousreply 13310/26/2014

Nelly is very hot, brah.

by Anonymousreply 13410/26/2014

I suppose that's why there isn't a great demand for gay porn featuring hair dressers, school teachers, realtors, retailers, or antique experts.

by Anonymousreply 13510/27/2014

Almost all people (percentage wise) who are attracted to males, are attracted to men with very masculine, angular faces. Even straight women prefer square-jawed, angular faced dudes, according to studies.

by Anonymousreply 13610/27/2014

Dang, Nelly is FINE.

by Anonymousreply 13710/27/2014

M

A

R

Y

!

by Anonymousreply 13810/27/2014

There are many reasons why people are attracted to athletes, including their physiques, strength, status, and physical prowess. But one reason is that they tend to have a higher amount of testosterone than non-athletic dudes, and this corresponds with a more masculine, angular facial structure.

by Anonymousreply 13910/27/2014

I am proof that people want deep voices.

by Anonymousreply 14010/27/2014

I'm prefer big-dick face.

by Anonymousreply 14110/27/2014

uh ok, dude

by Anonymousreply 14210/27/2014

It took a study to confirm that ?

by Anonymousreply 14310/28/2014

Of course

by Anonymousreply 14411/02/2014

masculinity is hot

by Anonymousreply 14511/11/2014

What makes a face feminine?

by Anonymousreply 14612/11/2014

paging Captain Obvious....

by Anonymousreply 14701/24/2015

Anyone attracted to men generally prefers masculine traits in men

by Anonymousreply 14801/24/2015

b

by Anonymousreply 14901/29/2015

Well duh.

by Anonymousreply 15101/29/2015

true r150

by Anonymousreply 15202/23/2015

Well DUH! I am gay and want sex with a man not a woman or men who act like women.

by Anonymousreply 15302/23/2015

R150 actually it's the more masculine guys like myself who seem to be hated on here

FOR NO REASON

And yes I love masculinity in myself and in my boyfriends

by Anonymousreply 15402/23/2015

The paper is about facial structure, not behavior...R154.

The point of the paper was to see if the cogitative mechanism that gay men used to identify attractive faces was the same one that straight men used...or if it was more similar to the way women perceived faces.

Some 150+ people should actually try reading the paper -- not the bad summary of the paper. But, I'm guessing, unlike the author, nobody here went to harvard & could understand it.

by Anonymousreply 15502/23/2015

How come so many young gays are soo fem, the dress, the voice, the mannerisms would make Liberace blush!!

What is going on that turns them into mincing prisspots.

That's my problem with Glee, then that thing, Kurt appears I want to change the channel.

by Anonymousreply 15602/23/2015

R156 know it's crazy

Although I do have feminine gay guys as friends, I'm not into them sexuality at all

Masculinity, which is a beautiful thing, is becoming a four letter word

by Anonymousreply 15702/23/2015

R157, do you have OCD? You have said the same thing in about 5 different threads...about 20 different times. Nobody cares. It's not even the topic of this thread. Seriously though, do you have OCD? Why do you keep repeating yourself?

by Anonymousreply 15802/23/2015

I'm a big guy 6.4 226 & masculine & all my friends are Masculine so I've never had a problem.

The first time I ever witnessed "gay hate" was this summer, a friend had a friend visiting & I took him to Dairy Queen.

It was funny because he had heard about it but never been so since there's one near my place, I brought him.

He a 24yr old slim, dainty French boy that looks VERY gay.

When we arrived at the DQ there was a group of older Armenian men & they were staring at him & had a look on their face of hate I've never seen.

I just glared back, letting them know, if shit started I wasn't going to run. Finally they all turned away but it was terrible.

I can't imagine how fem guys deal with that visceral hatred on a daily basis.

While I'm not attracted to fem guys I would never Mistreat them

by Anonymousreply 15902/24/2015

"I can't imagine how fem guys deal with that visceral hatred on a daily basis.

While I'm not attracted to fem guys I would never Mistreat them"

I feel the same for butch gay women. I was hostile to them, I want to get more tolerant

by Anonymousreply 16002/24/2015

Duuuuuuuh dude

by Anonymousreply 161Last Sunday at 10:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.