Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Time for a new smartphone

I'm a Tmobile customer. It's either going to be a Samsung Galaxy S III or HTC One S. I've read a lot of reviews and I'm still torn.

Anyone have experience with either (or both)? Thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 7201/05/2013

The Galaxys have nasty real world technical issues. I would stay away.

by Anonymousreply 107/25/2012

T -Mobile sucks.

by Anonymousreply 207/25/2012

If there's any way you can switch to sprint and get an iPhone, that's what I'd recommend, it's the most trouble free experience I've had with a smartphone since I first started using smartphones 10 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 307/25/2012

R3, OP was asking about Samsung or HTC, not an iPhone. Thanks for playing.

by Anonymousreply 407/25/2012

I have the Samsung GS3 and love it. Quick and responsive. My iPhone feels and works like a heavy obsolete brick next to it. No issues so far with the new phone. However, the back cover is cheap plastic and feels like it will break when you try to pry it open.

by Anonymousreply 507/25/2012

I have T-Mobile. I'm happy with my GS2, but if I were shopping for a new phone with them, I'd go with a Galaxy Nexus direct from Google, or wait on the Galaxy Note or the upcoming HTC One X.

by Anonymousreply 607/25/2012

Here is a CNET link to people having technical problems with Galaxy phones.

by Anonymousreply 707/25/2012

Link is for Samsung galaxy PREVAIL, a year-old model, not S3, you stupid cunt. S3 was released in the US just last month.

by Anonymousreply 807/25/2012

R8's next phone will be a cuntphone with 3 gigs of Random Asshole Memory.

by Anonymousreply 907/26/2012

Oh dear, honey wait till you can afford an iPhone. There's nothing like the real thing baby

by Anonymousreply 1007/26/2012

You should get the Galaxy S3...it's gorgeous! I want to but the international version.

by Anonymousreply 1107/26/2012

As if, R10. I have an iPhone 4 and am reading this thread with interest, because next time I'd like a phone that works properly and doesn't waste my time with the world's silliest MP3 upload process. Nor update its software every 10 days and expect (or rather, pointedly NOT expect) me to re-read 50 pages of terms and conditions each time. God knows, if you want to stump an Apple Genius the quickest way is to ask them a question about what's in their own T&C. They just blink at you.

by Anonymousreply 1207/26/2012

[quote]I have the Samsung GS3 and love it.

I have a nephew that loves his Samsun phone too.

He rides a little school but to school

by Anonymousreply 1307/26/2012

Since getting my iPad, I now get mail on the tablet - I browse the web on the iPad, so the tablet is always with me. I turned in my smartphone and went back to a more basic phone with a keyboard for texting. Saves money.

by Anonymousreply 1407/26/2012

Nokia Lumia 900. Only problem is you won't be able to upgrade the os this fall when a new version comes out.

by Anonymousreply 1507/26/2012

The new iPhone is coming out in September.

by Anonymousreply 1607/26/2012

Virgin Mobile just got the iPhone 4 and Boost Mobile is about to get the Galaxy S2.

by Anonymousreply 1707/26/2012

iPhone has higher satisfaction rates than Samsung. iPhone is so easy to use. Why would you want a phone that is confusing to operate?

by Anonymousreply 1807/26/2012

You iPhone people are the absolute worst, particularly this one:

[quote]Oh dear, honey wait till you can afford an iPhone.

by Anonymousreply 1907/26/2012

Some of these bitches need to understand there are people who don't give two fucks about the iPhone. There plenty of powerful phones in the marketplace which suit their needs. Now move along and talk about your new iPhone in another thread.

by Anonymousreply 2007/26/2012

I have an iPhone but am indifferent about it. I like it but I'm open to what else is out there. One of my pet peeves is that the battery is not replaceable.

by Anonymousreply 2107/26/2012

I really like my Android.

by Anonymousreply 2207/26/2012

[quote]I really like my Android.

There are dozens of Android phones out there. Can ya be more specific?

by Anonymousreply 2307/26/2012

Progresso Soup Company is into phones now ... get one of theirs, OP!

by Anonymousreply 2407/26/2012

Android Optima 3G. Very Reliable.

by Anonymousreply 2507/26/2012

[quote] One of my pet peeves is that the battery is not replaceable.

Just get Apple care and they replace it for you.

Remember, iPhone, everything else is just second best

by Anonymousreply 2607/26/2012

[quote],Progresso Soup Company is into phones now

I want an Italian Wedding phone

by Anonymousreply 2707/26/2012

R26, Fuck off, apple troll!

by Anonymousreply 2807/26/2012

Galaxy S3 or Galaxy Nexus.

Apple trolls need to go away. Not everyone wants a tiny screen, a browser that doesn't give you a full web experience, and the hassle of having to use iTunes. Some people just want a phone that works well.

by Anonymousreply 2907/26/2012

While I enjoy the HTC Sense skin on Android, every HTC phone I've ever owned has had shit battery life. If I was getting another Android phone, I'd probably go with the Galaxy SIII.

However, I'm probably going to just give up and go back to the iPhone when they announce the new one.

by Anonymousreply 3007/26/2012

What R1 said. The Samsungs are glitchy. Go for the HTC.

by Anonymousreply 3107/26/2012

Does anyone look at the monthly cost of these smartphones before buying? I was going to get one until I had to get a bundle, that worked out to about 85 bucks a month. Sorry for me not going to spend close to a grand a year for a smart phone.

I use a LG Rumour Touch, just for voice & texting, monthly plan is just under 35 a month.

Carry an Ipod touch for internet access.

by Anonymousreply 3207/26/2012

My iphone is a dog. It gets hot as hell at times, and it goes blank without warning. I'm sure it's only my iphone, I'd take it back, but lazy me has put up with this piece of junk for too many months. I have another phone for a second line and use and old HTC Evo. It's quite good and dependable. In the beginning I has serious battery issues, but once I cut off those programs that were draining my battery by reporting my position, it was acceptable.

by Anonymousreply 3307/26/2012

[quote]Just get Apple care and they replace it for you.

And drive an hour to get to the Apple store, wait another hour to see a "genius" (even though you made an appointment, they're always running behind) to be told your phone has water damage and you need to pay $600 for a new phone? No thank you!

by Anonymousreply 3407/26/2012

[quote]Some of these bitches need to understand there are people who don't give two fucks about the iPhone.

I know it's sad there are some retarded people out there, that think their cell phones are as good as the iPhone

[quote]There plenty of powerful phones in the marketplace which suit their needs.

Yes powerful, but not nearly as powerful as the iPhone.

If you're gonna spend money, spend a bit more and get something that is actually QUALITY.

Don't get me wrong I feel sorry for the people that can't afford an iPhone, but it's like buying a JC Penny suit and sewing an Armani label in it.

You can pretend, but it's still junk

by Anonymousreply 3507/26/2012

[quote]Don't get me wrong I feel sorry for the people that can't afford an iPhone

Sweetie, the iPhone is no more expensive than a solid Android device. Try harder.

by Anonymousreply 3607/26/2012

[quote]Yes powerful, but not nearly as powerful as the iPhone.

Um, actually, most of the new SmartPhones are more powerful than the iPhone, with larger, better displays and faster processors. Now if you want to argue that the iPhone is easier to use, fine, but that's not what you're claiming.

In my case, I'm a power user and I refuse to buy a product that doesn't give me control, that has seriously restrictive policies, and that deliberately cripples competitor apps so as to make their own apps more desirable (see, for example, Google Chrome on the iPhone).

by Anonymousreply 3707/26/2012

I have a Galaxy SIII and I'm very pleased with it so far. No technical glitches, easy to use, larger screen, incredibly light and thin.

by Anonymousreply 3807/26/2012

Honestly though, R37, the iPhone isn't even easier to use. You have to use iTunes (with Android and Google Play, everything is just there, and just works, no syncing required), and lacks simple navigational features, like a back button. Almost everything is easier to do on my Galaxy Nexus than it is on an iPhone 4S. Plus, the Galaxy Nexus is faster and has a bigger screen.

by Anonymousreply 3907/26/2012

You do realize that the new iPhone is going to have a bigger screen, don't you? It will also be more powerful and faster than anything by Android. Better screen resolution and better camera, too.

What guy wants to walk around with a humongous Galaxy Note sticking out of his pocket? That's about as sexy as having a pager clipped to your belt. And it's like holding a VHS tape up to your face to talk.

by Anonymousreply 4007/26/2012

The iPhone trolls all sound like cult members. Everyone I know or have known who has/had an iPhone is always "it's the real thing everything else is a fake iPhone". They parrot it off like Scientologists and their "What are your crimes?" line when you question their faith.

It's also very amusing the amount of them that are walking around with cracked screens because their stupid phones are made of glass. How's that £35 a month 24 month contract working out for you now, pal?

Enjoy living in the past whilst the rest of us delight at our lightweight, robust, open-source, largely free app'd Androids.

One of the most amusing facts in technology in the last 10 years has been the transformation of Apple from a niche, high-quality, innovative and very geeky almost underground sort of thing to being a Joe Public, overpriced, dumbed down arrogant craphole of a company that is now about as exclusive as McDonalds.

Buying an iPhone is like paying $50 for a Big Mac.

by Anonymousreply 4107/26/2012

[quote]You do realize that the new iPhone is going to have a bigger screen, don't you?

Probably but they haven't announced the specs yet, much less the shipping date. I'm also assuming the new one will be true 4G, which the current models are not. But the OP was asking for information on what's available now, andd on what's available now, the iPhone comes in second on quite a few important attributes, including screen size, 4G support, resolution, power, etc.

[quote]It will also be more powerful and faster than anything by Android.

I have no doubt it will match the various new Android phones; I'm skeptical it will be more powerful; the previous versions generally were not.

[quote]Better screen resolution and better camera, too.

Also somewhat doubtful, although again, I'm quite confident that they will match the latest and greatest. For cameras, once you get past 8 MP on your phone, I just don't see it making a difference. But that's just me.

[quote]What guy wants to walk around with a humongous Galaxy Note sticking out of his pocket?

Apparently quite a few. Personally, I have no problem carrying around my Galaxy SIII. And, boy, do I love the screen real estate when it comes to actually using the phone for browsing, typing, playing games, watching movies, and so on.

[quote]And it's like holding a VHS tape up to your face to talk.

LOL... You really have no idea how big these phones are, do you?

by Anonymousreply 4207/26/2012

I bow down to you AYB! Someone has finally spoken the truth.

I'm a fellow Android owner- HTC Nexus One...looking to upgrade to Samsung Galaxy S3.

by Anonymousreply 4307/26/2012

R39 - we're talking about phones available now, not some hypothetical phone that may show up in the future, but which hasn't been announced and therefore we know nothing about.

And the fact is, among $200 phones you can buy today, the iPhone is the slowest, most outdated, and has the worst screen.

I highly doubt the iPhone 5 will be the top-of-the-line smartphone when it is released (the iPhone 4 and 4S were both outdated before they were even released, so I don't see why the 5 will be any different), but if it is, I can guarantee you it won't be for long.

by Anonymousreply 4407/26/2012

[quote]I have an iPhone 4 and am reading this thread with interest, because next time I'd like a phone that works properly and doesn't waste my time with the world's silliest MP3 upload process. Nor update its software every 10 days and expect (or rather, pointedly NOT expect) me to re-read 50 pages of terms and conditions each time.

R12, I'm curious what the hell you mean here, considering that iOS now updates automatically without the need to sync to a computer, and updates are downloaded very quickly and installed via wi-fi. Also, there hasn't been a single iOS update in close to six months.

Btw the alternative with Androids is the often agonizing experience of wondering when the hell your particular manufacturer and carrier will get around to installing the latest Android variant. The latest version (4.1.1, a.k.a. "Jelly Bean") has all sorts of bells and whistles, but you can only get it if you have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone or a Nexus 7 tablet. Many older, less popular Android models can't update their Android version, period; a substantial number of Android users are still on a 2.x version, since the 3.x line was reserved for tablet models and their phones lacked the memory or processing power for the original 4.0 variant, "Ice Cream Sandwich."

by Anonymousreply 4507/26/2012

R38, I'm curious to know more about the size of it.

Does it fit comfortably in your front pocket? That's usually where I keep my phone.

Also, does the extra screen size make it easier to type onscreen? I've always had difficulty with touch-screen typing. Fat fingers, I guess.

Thanks in advance. I'm thinking of buying one myself.

by Anonymousreply 4607/26/2012

[quote]Buying an iPhone is like paying $50 for a Big Mac

No, it's like paying $50 for an exception piece of quality beef.

A Galaxy is like getting a Big Mac and saying it tastes just as good as a quality piece of steak and bragging you only paid a few dollars for it.

by Anonymousreply 4707/26/2012

I honestly can't decide who's more annoying: the Apple fanboys for whom Steve Jobs is their god and Apple can do no wrong, or the anti-Apple fanboys who whinge for hours on end why ______ Android model is so vastly superior to the current iPhone on every level.

Here's my take, and for the record, I currently use both an iPhone 4S and a HTC One X, both on AT&T. One is my work phone, and the other is my personal phone (and no, I'm not saying which is which, but I was given a choice of either iPhone or Android in both cases). If speed is your thing, either get a One X or S III, or wait for the next iPhone. These two phones are on AT&T's next-generation LTE data network, and the download speeds on it put any iPhone to fucking SHAME. (And don't be confused by the claims that AT&T's iPhone is "4G" - it's not, or not really compared to what most would call 4G. It uses an older network called HSPA+ that only barely reaches what's considered the bottom of 4G-level speeds; an LTE phone on any network will be at least twice as fast, if not 3x-4x.) Also, if you're a semi-techy type and like to be able to reconfigure your root hardware or customize your phone, an Android is your best bet as well. It's possible to "jailbreak" an iPhone, but it's also easy to fuck the process up and end up with a "bricked" phone, meaning it's both inoperable and impossible to repair.

If you prefer simplicity, ease of use and easy integration with other Mac products, then go for an iPhone. Your entire iTunes library will be available to download via iCloud, even if its total size on your computer hard drive is in the terabyte range -- the phone downloads songs from it on the fly -- and it's very easy to sync it with your existing e-mail, contacts and calendar, whether they're in a Mac program, on Google Gmail/Calendar, or in MS Outlook.

Screen and size are entirely a matter of preference. The iPhone is notably smaller than most of the popular Android models; on the other hand they're much easier to fit in a pants pocket, an important consideration for men. (Don't even *think* about doing the douchey thing and clipping a phone to your belt.) The iPhone Retina screen was state-of-the-art for a while, but the newer Android models have now caught up (and it's not yet known whether the iPhone 5, coming out in September, will improve on that front). At this point features are generally the same on the two phones, although Android's map function is vastly better, given that it's included turn-by-turn navigation from the get-go. (iPhones use Google Maps, but without navigation, and they're being discontinued in the new iOS release coming out this fall, to be replaced with an Apple-developed map app with navigation functionality. Early reports, however, indicate that its maps are a veritable joke compared to the existing Google Maps system.)

In terms of tactile feel, I'd have to give an edge to Apple. The iPhone 4 simply "feels" substantial, kind of like closing a door on a German car with a thick thud gives you an impression of quality. On the flip side, both sides of the iPhone 4 are made of glass, and while it's quite strong, it's not impervious to damage; drop it from a height of more than a few feet and it's very lightly at least one side will shatter. (You're looking at a minimum $100 repair bill if so.)

Finally, one thing undoubtedly in Apple's favor in terms of its rabid fanbase is your ability to sell your iPhone whenever a new model is released. Every major U.S. cell carrier will give you "trade-in pricing" on a new model if you've had the old one for about a year, and if you have, say, a 16MB model you paid $199 for, you can generally make at least that much reselling it on eBay to one of the scores of people who've either broken their own iPhone (and can't yet get upgrade pricing on a new one) or live in a country where Apple doesn't sell products, which at this point is still the vast majority of the world. I sold my iPhone 4 for nearly $300 when I upgraded to a 4S at a cost of $199, netting me a "profit" of $100.

by Anonymousreply 4807/26/2012

[quote]Early reports, however, indicate that its maps are a veritable joke compared to the existing Google Maps system.

Nonsense. They're from Apple. They're better by default.

That was my sarcastic voice.

by Anonymousreply 4907/26/2012

Galaxy is by a Korean company, Samsung. Koreans hate gays. Samsung does not give its Gay employees health benefits.

Apple is an American company, whos current CEO, is an openly Gay man.

by Anonymousreply 5007/26/2012

And both company's products are made in Far East sweatshops.

by Anonymousreply 5107/26/2012

Google not only provides gay employees with domestic partner health benefits, but compensates them for the additional taxes they have to pay (and straight people don't have to pay) for those health benefits.

Google is also in a worldwide push for gay rights, right now focusing on Poland and Singapore, to raise awareness and promote change.

R50 needs to cite his source that all Korans hate gays, and that Samsung doesn't give its gay employees health benefits. I can't find any information of Samsung's benefits package in the US (which is the only appropriate country to compare benefits packages with - I doubt any of Apple's Chinese employees are getting same-sex domestic partner health benefits either), so please, give us your source.

by Anonymousreply 5207/26/2012

The new iPhone, which is going to be released in late September, is replacing the glass back with aluminum. Thus eliminating any breakage.

by Anonymousreply 5307/26/2012

[quote]Does it fit comfortably in your front pocket? That's usually where I keep my phone.

That's where I keep mine, as well. It fits just fine but you'll need to go to the store and try for yourself.

[quote]Also, does the extra screen size make it easier to type onscreen? I've always had difficulty with touch-screen typing. Fat fingers, I guess.

Same here and hell, yes, noticeably easier.

[quote]Thanks in advance. I'm thinking of buying one myself.

Try out several models at the phone store before you make up your mind.

by Anonymousreply 5407/26/2012

R54, thanks for the quick answers.

I have a coworker with an HTC One, so I've been able to handle one -- and get her feedback on what she thinks. I've only seen a Galaxy that's tethered to the wall at the T Mobile store, and I actually didn't handle one, as there was a crowd of people and kids running around and all that.

I'm leaning toward the Galaxy at this point. I suppose I'll go back to the store on a weekday when it's less busy.

by Anonymousreply 5507/26/2012

Been an HTC phone owner for 6 years. Love them.

by Anonymousreply 5607/26/2012

Here

by Anonymousreply 5707/26/2012

Ugly cell phones.

Any of you carrying these dogs around?

by Anonymousreply 5807/26/2012

I have that phone, don't be so jealous!

by Anonymousreply 5907/26/2012

[quote]Google not only provides gay employees with domestic partner health benefits, but compensates them for the additional taxes they have to pay (and straight people don't have to pay) for those health benefits.

And Apple doesn't?

[quote]needs to cite his source that all Korans hate gays, and that Samsung doesn't give its gay employees health benefits.

Based on my experience working with South Korean companies in multiple fields, including electronics, the concept of "gay rights" is by and large nonexistent. On the flip side, surely you don't think Foxconn or any of the big manufacturers in China producing iPhones and the like offer any sort of pro-gay benefits.

Btw OP you do know that every U.S. cell carrier offers a money-back program, and that you can return your phone at no charge if you decide you don't like it? You get at least two weeks with it and sometimes up to a month to do so, depending on the carrier. You'll probably have to pay for your actual phone usage (prorated if it's returned quickly), but there's no return fee for the phone itself.

by Anonymousreply 6007/26/2012

The Smartphone Buyer's Guide, Summer 2012:

by Anonymousreply 6107/27/2012

Yes 60, Gays are non-existent in Korea. It is how they stay alive and employed. That is the problem with Korean companies Samsung and Hyundai/Kia.

by Anonymousreply 6207/27/2012

I still think Windows Phone 8 is the most interesting ... of course, any phones are four or so months away. But I'm waiting ot see what they're like before I replace this iPhone 4.

by Anonymousreply 6307/27/2012

Do the iPhones still need a rubber band around them to work?

by Anonymousreply 6407/27/2012

r64

Never had it. Never will

An iPhone is like a muscle guy with a 10" piece.

Once you had it, everything else is weak.

by Anonymousreply 6507/27/2012

[quote]An iPhone is like a muscle guy with a 10" piece.

Yup. Worthless.

by Anonymousreply 6607/27/2012

Which smart phone has the lowest incidence of brain, head, and neck cancers associated with its use?

by Anonymousreply 6707/27/2012

I replaced my iPhone with a Jitterbug and have never been happier. It's so easy to use.

by Anonymousreply 6807/27/2012

Two-screen phone. I was telling a friend just a few months ago that's the next thing we'll be seeing.

I want this puppy! I wonder when it'll be released.

by Anonymousreply 6901/05/2013

More on the phone. It will be released in the second half of the year.

by Anonymousreply 7001/05/2013

I had an iPhone for three years, but switched to the Samsung Galaxy S3 this summer. I absolutely love it. Whenever I handle an iPhone now, they feel so heavy and bulky.

by Anonymousreply 7101/05/2013

I love my Samsung Galaxy III. I had to get used to the size but I love my screen. I'm an android user so I prefer their ecosystem.

by Anonymousreply 7201/05/2013
Need more help? Click Here.