Serving up this steaming pile of
Celebrity Gossip
Gay Politics
Gay News
and Pointless Bitchery
Since 1995

Movie musicals that were actually done right....

There aren't a lot that you would praise.

There are a lot of good scenes within the body of musicals, but not a lot that you can watch start to finish.

Cabaret Wizard of Oz The Beatles movies The Astaire-Rogers movies Meet Me in St. Louis

What else?

by Anonymousreply 20502/20/2015

Edwin Drood

by Anonymousreply 207/25/2012

West Side Story is brilliant

by Anonymousreply 307/25/2012

CHICAGO (often derided on DL, it's a terrific movie with only a few missteps)

and good, solidly entertaining if not great movies:

by Anonymousreply 407/25/2012

valley of the Dolls. Nothing like a good patty Duke Musical LOL.

by Anonymousreply 507/25/2012

Who Gives A Flying Fuck? is a classic.

by Anonymousreply 607/25/2012

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, Cabaret, Singin' in the Rain, The Wizard of Oz, Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 707/25/2012

Not for everyone - but Sound of Music was done well.

Already mentioned West Side Story.

I always thought of Beauty and the Beast as kind of a throw back to the musicals.

Guys and Dolls - could have been better, but entertaining.

Singing in the Rain.

by Anonymousreply 807/25/2012

Have to go for: Cabaret - On my top 5 of all movies. Better than the stage version Chicago - stayed true to stage version Music Man - original Damn Yankees - Gwen Verdon/Tab Hunter Gypsy - Roz Russell

Didn't see stage versions to compare, but movies sucked:

A Chorus Line Dreamgirls Evita

by Anonymousreply 907/25/2012

by Anonymousreply 1007/25/2012

CABARET -just came home from a screening at the Cinemark in Kansas City. Love the movie and will get the blu ray. However, as well as it works as a movie, I really do prefer the stage book and the songs that were cut. I realize that one of the reasons the movie works so well is that Fosse and Jay Presson Allen went back to the original source (no fruit merchant and the landlady is a secondary character) and made the decision to only use songs that were performance numbers in the cabaret or the anthem that was used in a public beer garden.

THE SOUND OF MUSIC although I miss the songs for the Baroness and Max.

by Anonymousreply 1107/25/2012

R4-- the blu ray is coming out with the original ending (special features) that was scrapped for a more happy one.

by Anonymousreply 1207/25/2012

"Calamity Jane" - Doris Day and Howard Keel were great together. Their duet on "Black Hills of Dakota" (available on YouTube) is one of the finest moments in movie musicals.

"The Student Prince" - Hunky Edmund Purdum and studly John Ericson along with the fabulous voice of Mario Lanza leading the men in the rousing choruses.

"Showboat" - Howard Keel, William Warfield, and Ava Gardner with the Champions, Marge and Gower.

"Desert Song" - Gordon MacRae as El Khobar/Paul Bonnard, the dashing outlaw leader.

by Anonymousreply 1307/25/2012

Screen Adaptation of stage musicals? I like:

CABARET (really its own thing, so different from the play)

CALL ME MADAM (God help me, but I do.)

MY FAIR LADY (I don't miss hearing Julie, who is always rather one-note in a pleasant way, since I get to look at Audrey Hepburn.)

THE MUSIC MAN (although it's gotten harder to sit through lately.)

SHOW BOAT (The 1936 version; Grayson ruined the 50s version, just as she did KISS ME KATE.)

For the screen:

THE HARVEY GIRLS (Two of the greatest numbers ever filmed - God, what a Judy-centric list.)

And I like GOLD DIGGERS OF 1933 (throw in "Lullaby of Broadway" from the 1935 Berkeley rendition.)

by Anonymousreply 1407/25/2012

Cripes, throw in EASTER PARADE, too. It's all interpolation but "Couple of Swells" is one of the greats and all the musical numbers are fine.

by Anonymousreply 1507/25/2012

The Boyfriend

by Anonymousreply 1607/25/2012

How about the only one written directly for the screen...

All That Jazz

And for trying different techniques in film making...

South Pacific

And lastly...

Easter Parade

by Anonymousreply 1707/25/2012

Calamity Jane ( really very underrated)

Cabaret (should have beat out the Godfather for best picture)

Lili (very dark, adult film wrapped in children's clothing)

Easter Parade ('nuff said)

Golddiggers of 1933 (yay!)

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (not technically a musical but Diamonds cannot be denied)

Phantom of the paradise (Paul Willimas wrote the music and did a great job)

by Anonymousreply 1807/25/2012

R14 is a film musical whore. Call Me Madam, My Fair Lady, On the Town, Music Man. I can see why she likes "Anything Goes" because, apparently, it does.

by Anonymousreply 1907/25/2012

forgot to add

"Sweet Charity"--either the Gwen Verdon recording or the Shirley film

by Anonymousreply 2007/25/2012

I second "All That Jazz." A masterpiece, and Roy was robbed of the Oscar!

by Anonymousreply 2107/25/2012

If you mention a Paul Williams musical you have to go for Bugsy Malone. So much better than the kid musicals they have now, where every kid has an album out. 1976 Bugsy Malone and The Bad News Bears are the best kid movies EVER!

by Anonymousreply 2207/25/2012

Pennies from Heaven

by Anonymousreply 2307/25/2012

Two relatively unknown but utterly delightful small-scale MGM musicals from the early 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 2407/25/2012

The Sound of Music

Damn Yankees

Little Shop of Horrors

West Side Story

by Anonymousreply 2507/25/2012

I would second 'Cabaret', 'Hair' and 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch' in particular. Can we count 'A Hard Day's Night'?

And I've always loved 'Oliver'.

by Anonymousreply 2607/25/2012

Thanks r16!

I love Ken Russell's movie of The Boyfriend - even tho I gather critics weren't kind and it was a fizzes at the box office - pah! What do they know?

It's a camp classic and I love every frame (almost!) - and the cast is stellar.

And the original stage play is weak as piss. Russell's done a fabulous job in giving it a structure that works...

It was on one of the cable movie networks again the other day and I fell for it all over again :)

by Anonymousreply 2707/26/2012

Thread closed.

by Anonymousreply 2807/26/2012

You kids need to turn in your gay cards. 28 posts and no mention of FUNNY FACE?

by Anonymousreply 2907/26/2012

"Cabaret" is an awful movie version of what took place on Broadway, but it's a fine movie of its own. The best movie musical of all time is "The Sound of Music.". A Broadway show shot on location, on BEAUTIFUL breathtaking location,

by Anonymousreply 3007/26/2012

WEST SIDE STORY is actually a movie musical that was done wrong, in so many ways...let me count them:

First, casting the inept, and unmusical Natalie Wood in the title role. Of course she didn't and couldn't sing, but she couldn't act as well, so casting her as a latino was a huge mistake.

Marni Nixon as her voice double was another disaster, like asking that soprano queen on Glee to dub Harvey Firestein.

Richard (Who?) Beymer: What, Troy Donahue wasn't available? Sheesh.

The only minor saving graces in the film about singing and dancing GANG MEMBERS are the two who managed to eek out an Oscar for their work: Rita Moreno and George Chakiris.

by Anonymousreply 3107/26/2012

"Cabaret" the Broadway show is a musical, all characters sing songs. The film "Cabaret" has been mislabeled a musical but is actually a movie with music. All the characters songs were cut. Any songs are only sung on a stage in the cabaret. "Lady Sings The Blues" released the same year has the same situation, songs song exclusively on stage and has a 31 song original soundtrack and is not considered a musical. The original "Hairspray" has characters singing songs on stage yet is not a musical, as the remake is.

by Anonymousreply 3207/26/2012

I gotta agree with R31. "West Side Story" has many flaws. For me, first and foremost, Beymer. Who would ever believe that he was once the leader of a NYC gang? He's too goofy to be a leading man.

But the two things the movie got right was switching "Cool" and "Officer Krupke," and rewriting "America" and including the boys. (The lyrics to the stage version with just Anita and the girls are dreadful!)

by Anonymousreply 3307/26/2012

There's no stoppin' us!

by Anonymousreply 3407/26/2012

Purple Rain, epic in every sense of the word.

by Anonymousreply 3507/26/2012

Moulin Rouge

by Anonymousreply 3607/26/2012

Do I have to turn my gay card?

I hate most of the Technicolor 50s musicals. I much prefer the 30s Warner ones with the oddly-interesting Ruby Keeler. And, of course, choreographed by Busby Berkeley.

by Anonymousreply 3707/26/2012

Cabaret is a fucking nightmare.

by Anonymousreply 3807/26/2012

On A Clear Day You Can See Forever

by Anonymousreply 3907/26/2012

One of the most faithful stage-to-screen adaptations was The Pajama Game. At the time it was criticised for being [italic]too[/italic] close to the the stage version but I think it holds up pretty well today.

Another favorite movie (only) musical is 'Born To Dance' (1936) starring Eleanor Powell and James Steward with a scoreby Cole Porter.

Two of Cole's "standards" were debuted in the film: 'I've Got You Under My Skin' and 'Easy To Love', the last one being first sung by Jimmy Stewart!

by Anonymousreply 4007/26/2012

All That Jazz is brilliant, but it's not a musical by any means.

Damn Yankees falls flat in the film version, its kinda lifeless.

by Anonymousreply 4107/26/2012

No love for Finian's Rainbow? Petula alone makes it a brilliant film. Ignoring the fact that the plot is idiotic.

by Anonymousreply 4207/26/2012

I don't understand how anybody can watch the movie Chicago through.

It's a Fosse show. They cast two non-dancers, an elephant and a ferret, then shot them above the waist mostly.

Very painful watching C Z-J dance.

by Anonymousreply 4307/26/2012

CZJ is a trained dancer who starred in the West End production of 42nd Street. If it was very painful watching C Z-J dance, it's probably because you were sitting there with your head up your ass.

by Anonymousreply 4407/26/2012

The film of Chicago most definitely wasn't a Fosse show- Fosse's choreography was never that sleek. And that's not a compliment for Marshall.

It did, however, take a lot of ideas from All That Jazz.

by Anonymousreply 4507/26/2012

I thought I was the only person who likes the Finian's Rainbow movie.

And does no one love the 1776 film?

by Anonymousreply 4607/26/2012

Gwen Verdon was the problem with Damn Yankees. Like Ethel Merman and Carol Channing, she's perfect for the stage but that sparkle doesn't translate to the big screen.

by Anonymousreply 4707/26/2012

by Anonymousreply 4807/26/2012

Song of Norway

by Anonymousreply 4907/26/2012

I loved Merman in Call Me Madam, but it's a very cartoonish light satire anyway, so the persona fits.

Her sailor song from "There's No Business Like Show Business" gives me night sweats though. A horrifying nightmare.

I also don't hate the Man of La Mancha film. Hiller maybe wasn't the right choice to direct though- there's a lot of odd zooms and framing that screaaams 1970's. This isn't helped by some of the dialogue. The "look into the mirror of reality" schtick is like something you'd hear in an improv class. But Peter O'Toole is quite heartbreaking in some scenes, and you buy into the romantic side of his delusions. But the cuts to the show for the most part made sense- there's so much superfluous stuff in the score of MOLM. I'm surprised they kept "A Little Gossip".

by Anonymousreply 5007/26/2012

Oh, and a truly bad movie musical is "Camelot". Shitty make-up, plodding pace, and an awful disconnect between exteriors and interiors, rivalling Mamma Mia for how incongruous the two types of filming are. I don't know why Logan was ever given anything to direct, the filters on South Pacific alone should have had him banned from making another film.

It's nice that to many more musicals used to be adapted to screen, even some without strikingly long runs. But at the same time, I doubt Camelot would ever be considered for filming by today's standards. It's such a flawed show and the beginnings of some of Lerner's truly irritating lyrical traits.

by Anonymousreply 5107/26/2012

[quote]Cabaret (should have beat out the Godfather for best picture)

Oh, honestly. That's just being perverse for the sake of perversity.

by Anonymousreply 5207/26/2012

[quote]And does no one love the 1776 film?

A Masterpiece and in a class by itself. When most people think movie musicals, they think big dancing in the streets production numbers. There is never a dull moment in "1776", in fact, it manages to induce tension in an ending that everyone knows. The songs move the story along and to have the original cast was a plus for once.

by Anonymousreply 5307/26/2012

Too Many Girls

by Anonymousreply 5407/26/2012

Another 1776 fan here.

by Anonymousreply 5507/26/2012

No, no, R51, Camelot is my favorite above all others. The movie is beautiful, and I still cry everytime I see it. Never saw the stage production, Richard Burton, Robert Goulet and Julie Andrews. Bet it was good.

by Anonymousreply 5607/26/2012

R51 I know I am in the minority but I adored CAMELOT. Even with all the flaws.. too many close ups, poor edits, Harris overacting all over the place with too much eyeshadow and a stiff as a board Franco Nero who didn't speak English and learned his lines phonetically. sp?? What I liked was that the affair between Guinevere and Lancelot was consumated, unlike the stage version. And Redgrave?? Magestic, sexy, beautiful, infuriating, spoiled. I could not take my eyes off of her. Always preferred the movie over the stage musical. Now you can go after me. But I really do love this movie.

by Anonymousreply 5707/26/2012

[quote]There is never a dull moment in "1776", in fact, it manages to induce tension in an ending that everyone knows.

You've really got that right. I saw both the stage version and the film - loved both. Both project that same tension where you think they may not agree and have to toss it all away. It's amazing to experience that when you know the ending.

by Anonymousreply 5807/26/2012

I won't attack you R57, I have Nine on DVD. And I find Mame to be charming at times.

Prince's A Little Night Music is baad. And not really because of casting or even some of the cuts. He just can't direct onscreen action. Len Cariou is playing to the balcony. It is a cheap film too, very "heritage film" like those Jane Austen TV movies from the 70's and 80's. And the editing and camerawork is clumsy. Between this and "Something for Everyone", Hal Prince was born to direct Kung-Fu movies.

What movie musicals are people craving for now? I'd be curious to see a Spring Awakening one that takes a bit of an indie approach to the material. I'd also love a Sunset Blvd film, but I suspect it's the sort of thing that could end up looking like a feature length perfume ad.

by Anonymousreply 5907/26/2012

A Chorus Line

by Anonymousreply 6007/26/2012

All that Jazz and Pennies from Heaven were godawful pretentious trash. Cabaret butchered the great Broadway songs. I just don't think the music from West Sie Story was that good. Loved Finian's Rainbow. What about Footlight Parade - a classic?

by Anonymousreply 6107/26/2012

"Phantom of the Paradise" anyone? Were any of the songs book numbers? Old Souls blurred the lines I think. Nevertheless I think it's a lot of fun, love the slapstick quality to the first 20 minutes or so.

I know many love it but "Jesus Christ Superstar" by Norman Jewison was fucking dreadful. I hate most of that score anyway.

Adore "My Fairy Lady" but can't stand "Gigi". I've grown to love Sweet Charity over time, but when I first saw it I thought the Pompeii Club scene was the most overdone self-indulgent thing ever, existing only to preserve the brilliant choreography and not much else.

I actually love the film of "Hair", maybe because it was how I first experienced the show. Have since seen it live twice, but I still think the movie is quite brilliant. It's nice to get out of the hippy sphere once in a while to see the stuffy middle class 'establishment' they were up against. If it were to be remade an Altman type of approach might work to keep it contained within the one space.

by Anonymousreply 6207/26/2012

"Damn Yankees" isn't that bad but Verdon, like Rivera had a face made for the theater. Who in their right mind could believe her as a temptress who could seduce anyone, even gay Tab Hunter.

by Anonymousreply 6307/26/2012

"Camelot" is perfect for non singing actors such as Burton & Harris, but can the songs be sung? Has anyone ever seen a production where the lead actually sings it?

by Anonymousreply 6407/26/2012

R64, I think Lerner got caught up in the Anglophile sing-speaking bit that drew Harrison so much attention in "My Fair Lady". Just look at not only Camelot, but Coco and even his Lolita musical. It has it's benefits, but in the end it's an approach to songwriting that gets used so that a character can stand and sing AT an audience with barely concealed viewpoints.

Guinevere's songs can be sung, and Lancelot's. Not so sure about Arthur.

by Anonymousreply 6507/26/2012

The topic is "Movie musicals that were actually done right" and people have mentioned South Pacific, Camelot, Annie, Little Shop of Horrors, Moulin Rouge, Chicago?

by Anonymousreply 6607/26/2012

What could you possibly find fault with in "Little Shop of Horror" besides the ending? Which by the way will finally be finished when the Blu-ray comes out at Halloween.

by Anonymousreply 6707/26/2012

Victor Victoria

Hedwig and the Angry Inch

Dancer in the Dark

Everyone Says I Love You

by Anonymousreply 6807/26/2012

Is "The Singing Detective" film with RDJ any good? Or Romance and Cigarettes for that matter?

I went through a phase of being obsessed with De-Lovely. It most definitely has it's flaws and if you're nitpicky about biopics being true-to-life it's most definitely not good, but christ I loved the concepts of the modern artists putting a different spin on the music. Begin the Beguine and Love for Sale made that film for me. Oh, and Caroline O'Connor as The Merm.

by Anonymousreply 6907/26/2012

Ken Russell's THE BOYFRIEND is my all-time favourite film!

by Anonymousreply 7007/26/2012

Fiddler on the Roof.

I loved it. Hardly any mention of it - why? Was it not that great?

by Anonymousreply 7107/26/2012

It's been a while, but I remember appreciating Fiddler on the Roof, and finding nothing wrong with it. But it felt like it was aware of it's importance as a great movie. As if Miramax had made it.

by Anonymousreply 7207/26/2012

R32, "The Future Belongs to Me."

by Anonymousreply 7307/26/2012

R73, it's actually "Tomorrow Belongs to Me"

by Anonymousreply 7407/26/2012

Someone punch R14's arm while her finger is in her nose.

You know, just about any time.

Nasty, non-contributing thing.

by Anonymousreply 7507/26/2012

R73 is Diane Paulus, ready to unleash a reconceived production of "Kander and Ebb's Cabaret", revisions by Suzan-Lori Parks.

by Anonymousreply 7607/26/2012

R76, to be more accurate, it would be Cabaret as re-written by Bernhard Schlink.

by Anonymousreply 7707/26/2012

42nd Street

The Wizard of Oz

Singin' in the Rain

Meet Me in St. Louis

The Harvey Girls

Funny Face

The Beggar's Opera

Carmen (Francesco Rossi)

Funny Girl

My Fair Lady (with exception of casting a non-SINGER (Hepburn was a singer but not a SINGER) as Eliza, it's a damn good movie)

Pennies from Heaven

Everyone Says I Love You

by Anonymousreply 7807/26/2012

The Boyfriend

Fiddler on the Roof

by Anonymousreply 7907/26/2012

Moon Over Miami

Orchestra Wives

The Girl Most Likely

State Fair

Gold Diggers of 1933

Love Me Tonight

Good News

Going My Way

A Damsel in Distress

Yankee Doodle Dandy

Two Tickets to Broadway

Two Weeks With Love

Coney Island

Tea for Two

and all the rest already mentioned

by Anonymousreply 8007/26/2012

R80, MARY!

by Anonymousreply 8107/26/2012

I don't get the question.

by Anonymousreply 8207/26/2012

r50, I was too scared to admit I like bits of Man of La Mancha. Peter O'Toole did act the hell out of it. Couldn't sing for shit though.

by Anonymousreply 8307/26/2012

I thought his Dulcinea was lovely! My favourite part is the Golden Helmet of Mambrino- he's shown in long shot striking a pose that sums up every depiction and illustration of Don Quixote that I've ever seen.

Sophia Loren was gorgeous but Aldonza's last song really needs a great singer. She put fire into it, but the pace was so slow.

by Anonymousreply 8407/26/2012

As a native Spanish speaker, what annoyed me most about "Man of La Mancha" movie was the mispronunciation of "Miguel." They kept saying "Mee-gwell."

by Anonymousreply 8507/26/2012

[quote]Cabaret (should have beat out the Godfather for best picture.

Guuurrrllll please.

by Anonymousreply 8607/26/2012

A Little Night Music was ruined for me solely by the exclusion of "Liaisons". Hermione must have been devastated to lose it for the film version. Her take on the OCR is brilliant!

Fiddler was fine, but to me it just seems too damn long! They couldn't have tightened it up? Just a little?

Grease is a lot of fun, but casting a bunch of (relative) oldsters kind of ruins it.

Couldn't sit through La Mancha, stage or film version; it just leaves me cold.

by Anonymousreply 8707/26/2012

I'm a huge fan of [bold]the most-reviled movie of a musical ever![/bold]

It was conceived and written by two Broadway musical heavyweights.

It starred two Oscar™-winning heavyweights.

Directed by a celebrated Tony award winner and two-time Oscar™ nominee.

The stage musical and the movie version barely resemble each other plot-wise.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you 'Paint Your Wagon'.

by Anonymousreply 8807/26/2012

[quote]Has anyone ever seen a production where the lead actually sings it?

Yes I saw Bill Hayes in a summer touring "Camelot" and Arthur's songs were wonderful. He also played Lancelot a few years earlier and the Prince in "The Student Prince." Most people who only saw him growing into old age in soaps, probably didn't know he had a wonderful singing voice.

by Anonymousreply 8907/26/2012

[quote]Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (not technically a musical but Diamonds cannot be denied)

How is it not technically a musical? It was based on a stage musical that was based on a novel by Anita Loos.

by Anonymousreply 9007/26/2012

[quote]Grease is a lot of fun, but casting a bunch of (relative) oldsters kind of ruins it.

Yeah, such a missed opportunity. Too bad you weren't there for casting. Can you imagine how successful it could have been.

by Anonymousreply 9107/26/2012

Great translations from stage to screen: Funny Girl, The Sound of Music and Cabaret.

Created in Hollywood: Top Hat, Wizard of Oz, Meet Me In St. Louis, Easter Parade, Singin' in the Rain. I'd add The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, which is perfection.

I'm not a fan of West Side Story, either the show or the movie, although I love the score. There are just so many problems with it.

by Anonymousreply 9207/26/2012

Oh r91, how very droll! You've added nothing to the conversation, so move on, toots!

by Anonymousreply 9307/26/2012

I gave R91 a w&w vote: perfect bitchery and common sense in a short, pithy post.

by Anonymousreply 9407/27/2012

by Anonymousreply 9507/27/2012

But then again, r94, you're a fan of Paint Your Wagon, so your opinion is not to be trusted.

by Anonymousreply 9607/27/2012

Lady Sings the Blues

Umbrellas of Cherbourg

by Anonymousreply 9707/27/2012

R94 Call's the wind Maria(h).

by Anonymousreply 9807/27/2012

Broadway Melody of 1936

Broadway Melody of 1938

by Anonymousreply 9907/27/2012

I talk to the trees.

by Anonymousreply 10007/27/2012

by Anonymousreply 10107/27/2012

Thoughts on Across the Universe? I think it looked amazing and in theory it was a good idea. Planning to rewatch this weekend. If it had been about a half an hour shorter with a less literal approach to some of the song lyrics, it might have made more sense.

It also shows the inherent ridiculousness in most jukebox musicals. Once you hear that the main character's name is Jude the first reaction is "oh, for fuck's sake".

I'm afraid that when I'm 50 years old there'll be a Lady Gaga musical and the first line will be "Hey, Alejandro, excited for the big poker game tonight?"

by Anonymousreply 10207/27/2012

And I just loved "The Young Girls of Rochefort." Beautiful music and dancing. I don't know why it didn't go over better.

by Anonymousreply 10307/27/2012

[quote]A Little Night Music was ruined for me solely by the exclusion of "Liaisons". Hermione must have been devastated to lose it for the film version. Her take on the OCR is brilliant!

It was filmed. Gingold attended an early screening and when they got to the place where "Liaisons" should have been (awful editing) Gingold's response... "OH MY GOD!"

by Anonymousreply 10407/27/2012

Some of you are apparently unaware that Peter O'Toole's singing voice was dubbed in MAN OF LA MANCHA. That's right; he did his own singing in GOODBYE, MR CHIPS, but he was dubbed in LA MANCHA. And it's an awful film adaptation of the musical, even though the casting sounds pretty great on paper.

by Anonymousreply 10507/27/2012

"First Impressions" could have been a good film - even using the same cast from Broadway. Polly Bergan, Farley Granger, Hermione Gingold, Phyllis Newman.

by Anonymousreply 10607/27/2012

HEDWIG actually works much better as a film. The jumping in the timeline always seemed a bit awkward on stage.

And you can see the Fosee influence on John Cameron Mitchell, and that's a good thing. The transitions are great.

by Anonymousreply 10707/27/2012

I am surprised at how few people have mentioned OLIVER! which is one of the very best translations from stage to screen.

by Anonymousreply 10807/27/2012

Funny Girl. I haven't checked to see if it was mentioned already. And I don't care, because the film rides on Barbra's star quality and immense talent.

by Anonymousreply 10907/27/2012

I agree R108 I forgot to include it. Moving "Oom Pah Pah" to the finale was a brilliant idea.. really worked. Good film.

by Anonymousreply 11007/27/2012

"Thoughts on Across the Universe? "

A fabulous failure. Doesn't hold up as a whole by any means, but contains some really fabulous scenes.

by Anonymousreply 11107/28/2012

I happened to see "Dreamgirls" and "Little Shop of Horrors" on the same day, and the comparison made me realize what a perfect musical film "LSOH" is.

The "LSOH" score really gives you a feeling of hit songs from the sixites, while most of the "Dreamgirls" score is forgettable. "LSOH" has a story that gets more compelling as story goes along, while "Dreamgirls" is blah in the second half. "LSOH" has its own uniquely exaggerated look and tone, while "Dreamgirls" is blah to look at and wobbles between musical and straight drama. Plus, "LSOH" includes some very cool fantasy, spectacle, and comedy. It's a pefect musical film.

Incidentally, "Hairspray" is also a perfect musical film, one that makes the most of its bouncy score, lively dance numbers, and likeable heroine.

by Anonymousreply 11207/28/2012

MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS is just about perfect.

MARY POPPINS is practically perfect, if a trifle too long.

The original SHOWBOAT with Irene Dunne, Paul Robeson, Hattie McDaniel and Helen Morgan, directed by the brilliant (and gay) James Whale, is a cornucopia of talent.

by Anonymousreply 11307/28/2012

Stephen Sondheim said the best movie musicals are almost always musicals written directly for the screen. I would agree, especially in the 30s:

The Smiling Lieutenant

Love Me Tonight

One Hour with You

Monte Carlo

Footlight Parade

42nd Street

Gold Diggers of 1933

Gold Diggers of 1935

Top Hat

Shall We Dance?

Follow the Fleet

The Wizard of Oz

Of movie musicals made from stage successes, my favorites would be:

Show Boat (1936--almost perfect)

The King and I

Call Me Madam (actually a lot of fun)

The Pajama Game (ditto)

The Music Man

West Side Story (an improvement on the stage show)

The Sound of Music (ditto)

Funny Girl

Jesus Christ Superstar

Grease (an improvement on the stage show)

Hair (ditto)

There are a few shows they translated to the screen that have lots of problems, but for many reasons I am still fond of:

Roberta (for the added songs, and Fred and Ginger)

Flower Drum Song (for James Shigeta and Jack Woo and Miyoshi Umeki, and for the bizarrely beautiful staging of "Sunday")

Carousel (for getting to hear the score so beautifully sung--it has never been more beautifully sung overall, though the acting and the accents are clunky)

My Fair Lady (for its cinematography and design and for Audrey Hepburn's acting)

Dreamgirls (for some beautiful stagings and for Jennifer Hudson and Eddie Murphy)

by Anonymousreply 11407/28/2012

I've never been able to get through Flower Drum Song. Too many subplots and boring as hell.

I love Dreamgirls but it is deeply flawed. It's shocking that nobody noticed during production how weird it was that a book number doesn't turn up for a good half an hour. The effect was jarring the first time I saw it.

Sweeney Todd I thought was excellent. Some in-song cuts were strange (and I didn't like Burton's overly literal approach to A Little Priest), but it is quite a long piece. The sets and costumes were gorgeous and I only wish Alan Rickman would play the judge on stage.

by Anonymousreply 11507/28/2012

7 Brides for 7 Brothers

by Anonymousreply 11607/28/2012

Whatever happened for the plans to release blu ray set of all three versions od SHOW BOAT? Did the Katharine Grayson Howard Keel nitrate negative get destroyed in that Metro warehouse fire a few years ago? Is that why the set was canceled?

by Anonymousreply 11707/28/2012

Idiot at r31 thinks Natalie Wood played the title role in West Side Story. Look at the words. TITLE role.

by Anonymousreply 11807/28/2012

ANNIE, OLIVER, SWEENEY TODD, and EVITA have title roles. West Side Story does not.

by Anonymousreply 11907/28/2012

All these years, I thought Tony dated a puerto rican called Sidé Story.

by Anonymousreply 12007/28/2012

I thought the musical movie version of Hairspray was not very good. Travolta was terrible. The choreography was not as good as Jerry Mitchell' Broadway dances and the camera was usually in unflattering or unexciting places in those numbers.

Though there are some good things in Dreamgirls, the adaptation with no book songs for so long didn't make sense.

by Anonymousreply 12107/28/2012

Every single one of my favorite musicals has been mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 12207/28/2012

"Those Redheads from Seattle" 1953 musical starring Rhonda Fleming, Teresa Brewer, The Bell Sisters, Gene Barry, and Agnes Moorehead.

by Anonymousreply 12307/28/2012

R66 doesn't know what jump the shark means

by Anonymousreply 12407/29/2012

Meet Me In St Louis is in my top 5 favorite movies of all time, musical or not

by Anonymousreply 12507/29/2012

R123, that's right up there with REVEILLE WITH BEVERLY, the patriotic wartime tuner starring the great Ann Miller.

by Anonymousreply 12607/29/2012

The Band Wagon

A Star Is Born (Judy's)

An American In Paris

On The Town

Mary Poppins

Gold Diggers of 1933

A Hard Day's Night

Singin' In The Rain

It's Always Fair Weather

42nd Street

The Music Man

West Side Story

Guys and Dolls

The Wizard of Oz

by Anonymousreply 12707/29/2012

And Funny Face

by Anonymousreply 12807/29/2012

R60, this is a list of musicals that were done right, not horribly wrong.

by Anonymousreply 12907/30/2012

DREAMGIRLS and HAIRSPRAY are the only two decent movie musicals produced in the last twelve years. And both are still very flawed.

by Anonymousreply 13007/30/2012

r127 has great taste.

Please add HAIR, Roberta, and maybe Strike Up the Band, and you're done!

by Anonymousreply 13108/01/2012

by Anonymousreply 13208/01/2012

by Anonymousreply 13308/01/2012

R131, thank you!

by Anonymousreply 13408/01/2012

With modern digital equipment, they should rework "South Pacific" to get rid of the hot pink skies.

by Anonymousreply 13508/04/2012

When I say "South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut", I'm not kidding.

It's actually an excellent animated musical, with bouncy, funny songs. It's much better than the TV show it's based on.

by Anonymousreply 13608/05/2012

"Blossom Time" - wish it had been in color.

by Anonymousreply 13708/08/2012

The Beggar's Opera (with Olivier)

Carmen (Francesco Rosi)

The Sound of Music

Oklahoma! (not a fan of the show, but the movie is well directed)

(West Side Story, The King and I and My Fair Lady are good films but are diminished by vocal dubbing.)

by Anonymousreply 13803/29/2013

Calamity Jane with Doris Day and Howard Keel

Blossom Time with Jeanette MacDonald

The Student Prince with Edmund Purdum and Ann Blythe

Easter Parade with Ann Miller and Fred Astaire

Showboat with Howard Keel and Ava Gardner

Desert Song with Gordon MacRae

The Harvey Girls with Judy Garland

Seven Brides For Seven Brothers with Howard Keel and Jane Powell

by Anonymousreply 13903/30/2013

[quote]Easter Parade with Ann Miller and Fred Astaire

Turn in your gay card AT ONCE!

by Anonymousreply 14003/30/2013

Who's Ann Miller?

by Anonymousreply 14103/31/2013

The Sound Of Music is wonderfully well done except for that stupid cheesey moment when the party guests sing "Good night!" at the conclusion of "So Long, Farewell." I remember seeing it in a movie theater when it first came out and that moment was met with big time titters.

by Anonymousreply 14203/31/2013

I went out and bought the VHS of, "Shangri-La", with Liv Ulman. I think it is absolutely brilliant.

"The world is a circle without any end, and nobody knows where the circle ends, laaa,daaa,laaa, daaa..."

by Anonymousreply 14303/31/2013

I am looking forward to Into the Woods with Streep. And Book of Mormon.

I loved Chicago.

I found Evita painful.

Hairspray was fun.

by Anonymousreply 14403/31/2013

ALL THAT JAZZ is simply dreadful. It's as if it were made by someone who had not the first notion of what a musical is or how to put one together. Knowing that it was directed by Fosse makes it even more intolerable. The "Fly us" sequence is unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 14503/31/2013

I meant Lost Horizon, not Shangri LA

by Anonymousreply 14603/31/2013

R145, if you hiss any louder or clutch your pearls any harder, my computer will blow-up.

by Anonymousreply 14703/31/2013

R145= Pearl Clutcher

by Anonymousreply 14803/31/2013

R145 is probably Hal Prince.

by Anonymousreply 14903/31/2013

But r147 and r148, you didn't say I was wrong, didjas?

by Anonymousreply 15003/31/2013

What about "Mame"! !! I was brilliant although too old. But that Kahn cunt backed out and Lucy called me!

by Anonymousreply 15103/31/2013

"The Sound Of Music is wonderfully well done except for that stupid cheesey moment when the party guests sing "Good night!" at the conclusion of "So Long, Farewell." I remember seeing it in a movie theater when it first came out and that moment was met with big time titters."

Great post, r142--your example brings into relief the delicate balancing act that goes into establishing a musical 'reality' on screen as well as stage. Why DOESN'T that moment work in what is otherwise a magnificent movie? Ernest Lehman and Robert Wise go out of their way to segue into the numbers as unobtrusively as possible, either by sneaking in music under dialogue (Climb Every Mountain) or using source music to cue the song (the Captain sings Edelweiss and plays guitar in real time) or giving the songs a natural, "real" context (My Favorite Things).

So, Long, Farewell falls into the third category since it's a song sung at a party. But the other guests (some of them Nazis) are never established in any musical way so when they anti-climactically raise their voice in unison at the end (and for only one word!), it seems unearned, unbelievable, 'cheesy' and hardly worth the effort. Hence, the titters. Better to have let the kids bid their goodnights by themselves as they drifted offstage.

by Anonymousreply 15203/31/2013

I've only skimmed this thread so maybe someone mentioned it but - "Love Me or Leave Me" (1955) with Doris Day is a perfect movie musical.

by Anonymousreply 15303/31/2013

[quote]and made the decision to only use songs that were performance numbers in the cabaret or the anthem that was used in a public beer garden.

He filmed Cabaret after his struggles with Sweet Charity made him decide never to do anything again where people just spontaneously and unrealistically burst into song and dance.

The plot-advancing device (introduced in Oklahoma! by Agnes De Mille) had become too corny in his mind. So the new challenge that lay ahead for him was to present musical numbers that looked realistic but were not just a musical revue (which he also did plenty of) or a jukebox. Hence Cabaret and his bizarre semi-dream state stuff like Pippin and All That Jazz.

Alas, the whole thing was not forever, as he did things like Chicago, where they burst into song, though brilliantly.

by Anonymousreply 15403/31/2013

[quote]The plot-advancing device (introduced in Oklahoma! by Agnes De Mille)

You do know that Agnes de Mille was the choreographer, don't you?

by Anonymousreply 15503/31/2013

Show Boat directed by James Whale starring Irene Dunne and Paul Robeson is far better than the Howard Keel remake.

by Anonymousreply 15603/31/2013

Sweeney Todd, there I said it.

by Anonymousreply 15703/31/2013

Yes, r155. And it was the first time the choreography was designed as part of the plot.

by Anonymousreply 15803/31/2013

It wasn't her idea, you pretentious twat.

by Anonymousreply 15903/31/2013

I really enjoyed SWEENEY TODD, having adored the original stage version (and lucky enough to see the original Bway cast as a kid).

I was surprised by how dismissive some critics were. And the movie lost money, never connecting with a popular audience. But I think the cast is outstanding (particular Helena Bonham-Carter, who rarely gets her due) and there are lovely, imaginative moments in it. And the (much criticized) violence is necessary to the story.

Great stage musicals often disappoint their fans when they're translated on film. The finished product never lives up to the imagined version in their heads.

by Anonymousreply 16003/31/2013

You bitches will hunt me down and rip my caftan to shreds, but ...

Bye Bye Birdie

Ann-Margret prancing in her yellow sun dress in front of a vivid blue seamless backdrop, at the opening and end of the film, is the stuff "Mary!"s are made of.

by Anonymousreply 16104/01/2013

I know that's you, Sal Romano, @r161!

by Anonymousreply 16204/01/2013

No one mentioned "Little Shop of Horrors"?

It's very nicely done.

by Anonymousreply 16304/01/2013

Drink Patio, r162!

by Anonymousreply 16404/01/2013

I thought Chicago and Dream Girls were both perfect.

by Anonymousreply 16504/01/2013

I would rather have seen anyone, including Danny Devito in drag or Gwen Verdon's corpse, as Roxie Hart rather than pinchface Renee Zellwegger.

by Anonymousreply 16604/02/2013

R163 Maybe if they'd kept the original ending (which WAS filmed.)

by Anonymousreply 16704/02/2013

OLIVER! is first-rate.

by Anonymousreply 16804/02/2013

I agree, R168, OLIVER! is one of the best-made musicals ever to hit the screen. It is that rare film translation that surpasses its stage predecessor.

by Anonymousreply 16904/02/2013

Is the Calamity Jane of Doris a lesbian?

Are there any hints about that in the movie?

by Anonymousreply 17008/24/2013

SO? WAS SHE?????????????????????????????????

by Anonymousreply 17108/24/2013

I really enjoyed the recent Hairspray. I thought it was fun, and had the potential to be the "Grease" of it's day.

The dance scene with Travolta and Chris Walken was great.

And I just love it when Michelle Pfeiffer gets her Bitch On.

by Anonymousreply 17208/24/2013

Chicago didn't make any sense. Why were all those women inmates wandering around a prison in black lingerie? Admit it, it was stupid.

by Anonymousreply 17308/24/2013

The Song Remains The Same (1976)

Queen: We Will Rock You (1982)

Gimme Shelter (1970)

Ladies & Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones (1974)

by Anonymousreply 17408/24/2013

R167- thry have restored that ending to the blu ray.

by Anonymousreply 17508/24/2013

Grease... is the word.

by Anonymousreply 17608/24/2013

r22 I agree with you, "Bugsy Malone" was a good musical.Just watched it again last week. r39 I LOVED "On a Clear Day....." 'For I'll decode every breath, every sigh.....' r43 Gere was horribly miscast in "Chicago", so wooden.Wasn't he an old chorusboy? Zellweger, even worse. ***Guilty Pleasure Alert***** Julie Andrews "Star". I know, I know........ horrible, not well done, and damned if I know why I enjoy it so much. 'Once I had such a shattering physician.....'

by Anonymousreply 17708/24/2013

Calamity Jane should have it's own thread! Doris and Howard were great, the story moved along and the songs were fantastic.

I agree. A very under-rated gem.

by Anonymousreply 17808/24/2013

R178 can you please inform me if Calamity Jane was a lesbian?

Did Doris played a lesbian for real???

by Anonymousreply 17908/24/2013

Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory

Everyone Says I Love You

White Christmas

Mary Poppins

The Music Man

by Anonymousreply 18008/24/2013

r180 Oh man, how could I forget "White Christmas"????? Thanx for posting.

by Anonymousreply 18108/24/2013

The Daughter or Rosie O'Grady - Gordon MacRae and June Haver

For The First Time - Mario Lanza, Johanna Koczian, Zsa Zsa Gabor

Meet Me In Las Vegas - Cyd Charisse, Dan, Dailey, Agnes Moorhead, Frank Sinatra, Vic Damone, Debbie Reynolds

by Anonymousreply 18208/24/2013

"Small Town Girl" with Ann Miller, Jane Powell, and Farley Granger.

by Anonymousreply 18308/25/2013

R197, there were definite signs that Calamity Jane was a lesbian. 1. She volunteered to pick up the actress herself from the Windy City. 2. She was the first to pick out the drag queen. 3. She fawned over the fake Adelaide Adams. 4. She insisted she room with the pretty lady.

There are more hints in the movie.

by Anonymousreply 18408/26/2013

"Skirts Ahoy!" starring Vivian Blaine and Esther Williams.

by Anonymousreply 18608/27/2013

My absolute favorite: White Christmas

Then...others I don't think I saw mentioned:

Every Little Step (yes, not really a musical, but a better musical movie than A Chorus Line, IMHO)

Repo! the musical (my hate for Sarah Brightman runs deep, but this was good)

Prince of Egypt (cartoon, but still a musical and I love the music)

All of the That's Entertainment series

Hans Christian Anderson (my crush on Danny Kaye also runs deep)

by Anonymousreply 18708/28/2013

Everyone Says I Love You is complete crap. There is one moment when it actually starts being a little magical, and that's when Goldie Hawn dances...but then they fly her. Yarf. Other than that not a single tolerable performance.

by Anonymousreply 18808/28/2013

Everyone Says I Love You is to me at least, one of the dreariest, depressing piles of crap ever...except for that Kevin Kline Cole Porter abortion. KEY-RISTE was that awful!

Judy's "Summer Stock" looks like "Singin' in the Rain" in comparison to most modern attempts at a simple musical. Actually, "Summer Stock" IS brilliant!

by Anonymousreply 18908/28/2013

by Anonymousreply 19008/28/2013

R190=Allan Carr's cum-stained caftan.

by Anonymousreply 19108/28/2013

I like THE DOLLY SISTERS, though most people cringe at the over-the-top tasteless "Darktown Strutters Ball" blackface number.

by Anonymousreply 19208/28/2013

Have CABIN IN THE SKY or STORMY WEATHER been mentioned?

CABIN is the artier, better made film, but despite the cast and score a lot of it is a real slog for me. STORMY is essentially a filmed revue but it is non-stop unpretentious fun.

by Anonymousreply 19308/28/2013

I wish they had done a film version of "Irene" with Debbie Reynolds.

by Anonymousreply 19408/29/2013

by Anonymousreply 19508/29/2013

Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, worth it only for Charles Durning.

by Anonymousreply 19608/29/2013

[quote]Meet Me In Las Vegas - Cyd Charisse, Dan, Dailey, Agnes Moorhead, Frank Sinatra, Vic Damone, Debbie Reynolds

I love this one. Cyd Charisse cracks me up when she gets drunk and hops on the stage and starts trying to dance with the showgirls. I also love the opening theme song by the Four Aces.

by Anonymousreply 19708/29/2013

[quote]Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, worth it only for Charles Durning.

Are you serious? Was the shower scene cut from the version you saw?

by Anonymousreply 19808/29/2013

"And for trying different techniques in film making...

South Pacific"

If by different technique you mean a static camera that had no sense of fluidity and clueless editing, pacing and musicality, I completely agree with you.

As for great movie (musicals) original or adaptations, here's the short list:

Rosi's Carmen Fosse's Cabaret Reed's Oliver Marshall's Chicago Minnelli's Meet Me In St. Louis Minnelli's Gigi Donen's Singin' in the Rain Wyler's Funny Girl Wise and Robbins's West Side Story Cukor's My Fair Lady Cukor's A Star is Born (1954) Jewison's Fiddler on the Roof Vidor's Show Boat (1936) Lubitsch's The Merry Widow

by Anonymousreply 19909/11/2013

ugh....I cannot believe how many of you think "Grease" was a good movie musical! Besides the fact that all of the leads were too long in the tooth to convincingly portray teens, the movie contains NONE of the charm of the original show. So many good songs from the show were dropped from the film, replaced by 70's sounding BeeGees crap. There's not one song added to the film version that was better than any of the songs from the stage version.

by Anonymousreply 20009/11/2013

In the original stage version of THE SOUND OF MUSIC, the party guests also sang the last line of "So Long, Farewell" so that was not something Lehman or Wise added to the movie. It was always there.

by Anonymousreply 20109/11/2013

Rock of Ages. And I can't wait for Jersey Boys!!!

by Anonymousreply 20209/11/2013

Umbrellas of Cherbourg

An American in Paris

by Anonymousreply 20302/20/2015

Sweeney Todd

by Anonymousreply 20402/20/2015

My favs...

Cabin in the Sky Meet Me in St. Louis Gigi The Great Waltz (1938) Can-Can Gentlemen Prefer Blondes Ziegfeld Follies

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is way underrated. It had the distinction of being the only foray into the genre by the great Howard Hawks, who was more famous for directing John Wayne westerns like Red River and Rio Bravo. It is a real gem, especially MM's "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend" number. How many times have others tried to copy it!? Excellent direction by Hawks....

by Anonymousreply 20502/20/2015
Need more help? Click Here.

Follow theDL catch up on what you missed

recent threads by topic delivered to your email

follow popular threads on twitter

follow us on facebook

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!